Sign in to follow this  
flowa91

GTX TITAN SLI OC (2000€) = 30 / 25 fps

I can't believe the amount of people on this forum telling people their CPU is the bottleneck and they need to overclock it, it's an absolute joke. Their CPU's are fine, the game is broken and people with decent CPU's above recommended spec should not need to overclock to to get decent framerate from this game. If there is any bottleneck it's bad optimisation bottlenecking good hardware and that's it.

Edited by clydefrog

runing all max with no lag, i7 3770 @3.4, 16gb ram, ssd, 7950 HD 3gb. nothing OC

around 40-50 fps

Edited by MarkoCRO
wrong number of gcard

what cpu freq is required to play? 3.3ghz not enought? I think they have to patch it, isnt playable this way

The CPU frequency alone means nothing, have to look at the IPC (instructions per cycle). I have upgraded from 3.4 Ghz Phenom II X4 to 3.5 Ghz (3.9 turbo) 4770k Haswell and my fps literally doubled. Can't really tell that by CPU frequency alone.

Hello to all! I'm here 'to expose my problem that is apparently' common state that already ... 'I read EVERYTHING' regarding issues of fps .. coming to the problem, and the amazing thing 'that having MSI open in game I have seen that having 30 fps ultilizzo video card is this:

gpu 1: 25 fps, 30% use video card core clock 550MHz

gpu 1: 25 fps, 30% use video card core clock 550MHz

IN OTHER GAME:

`` `` `` Fps 99% use video card core clock 1100MHz

`` `` `` Fps 99% use video card core clock 1100MHz

That means that the power saving mode of the GPUs has been triggered because of the low utilization level, which unfortunately makes the FPS even worse. I had the same issue in Arma 2 too, and it lowered my FPS by 50%. Thankfully, there's easy fix for this: You can disable the power saving mode in Nvidia Control Panel. Right click on your desktop, select Nvidia Control Panel and find this setting: http://www.techknowlogists.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/prefer-max.png

Select the "prefer maximum performance", save changes, and make sure that there isn't exception for Arma 3 in the "Program Settings" tab. It should always be "Prefer maximum performance" until there's some specific reason to use power saving mode.

Make sure that the new setting is saved and try to play Arma 3 again. I'm almost sure that you see noticeable FPS gain.

I can't believe the amount of people on this forum telling people their CPU is the bottleneck and they need to overclock it, it's an absolute joke. Their CPU's are fine, the game is broken and people with decent CPU's above recommended spec should not need to overclock to to get decent framerate from this game. If there is any bottleneck it's bad optimisation bottlenecking good hardware and that's it.

cpu is heavily bottlenecking BECAUSE the engine isn´t nice optimized. There is no exclusion between the two theses. You need to push a 3570k @ 4,8GHZ to get an old crappy GTX570 run at 99% (empty editor :p) For a titan you need maybe 10 GHZ on this cpu to push it to 99%.

@Ezcoo

true! Its generally a good descision to log cpu/gpu clock and usage ingame.

cpu is heavily bottlenecking BECAUSE the engine isn´t nice optimized. There is no exclusion between the two theses. You need to push a 3570k @ 4,8GHZ to get an old crappy GTX570 run at 99% (empty editor :p) For a titan you need maybe 10 GHZ on this cpu to push it to 99%.

This isn't true, I have a 2500K at stock speed and an "old crappy GTX570" and I can get 99% GPU usage (not constant though) in an empty editor on Altis. Just not near a lot of buildings.

Edited by clydefrog

This isn't true, I have a 2500K at stock speed and an "old crappy GTX570" and I can get 99% GPU usage (not constant though) in an empty editor on Altis. Just not near a lot of buildings.
Bing Bing Bing, we have a winner(sort of). Yes in non MP play you WILL get 99% on the GPU, and I get it almost the entire session. But I force a OC thru MS-AB and do nott alow for any slow down/throttling.

CPU limited well yeah. But as the CPU is hammered, you will loose the abillity of the GPU to stay active~. I can get the same frames at 480p,720p,1080p, and 1440p with the same settings (ubermax200% sample, no PP) on a heavy MP mission. This wasn't so on Stratis, But on Alits...CPU is working hard, and the draw calls are needing clean up... CPU% is low across my Quad..(turn off Coreparking, one core goes back up into the 80%-). Soo i get 50fps, 40s, 30s and 25s at a certain spots on the map at any resolution... CPU limited. BUT its smooth as of the last update, and wasn't unsmooth really before that. Map needs more optimizing, and they are. Missions have to be reasonable on stuff too. I need a 5.5ghz CPU.

Bing Bing Bing, we have a winner(sort of). Yes in non MP play you WILL get 99% on the GPU, and I get it almost the entire session. But I force a OC thru MS-AB and do nott alow for any slow down/throttling.

CPU limited well yeah. But as the CPU is hammered, you will loose the abillity of the GPU to stay active~. I can get the same frames at 480p,720p,1080p, and 1440p with the same settings (ubermax200% sample, no PP) on a heavy MP mission. This wasn't so on Stratis, But on Alits...CPU is working hard, and the draw calls are needing clean up... CPU% is low across my Quad..(turn off Coreparking, one core goes back up into the 80%-). Soo i get 50fps, 40s, 30s and 25s at a certain spots on the map at any resolution... CPU limited. BUT its smooth as of the last update, and wasn't unsmooth really before that. Map needs more optimizing, and they are. Missions have to be reasonable on stuff too. I need a 5.5ghz CPU.

whats cpu freq you raccomanded?

Guys I use an athlom x4 630 2.8ghz, and a gtx 460

In editor I get 40 to 50 fps with monitor (and 70 in video menu)

in normal missions, show cases I get 30~~25 fps now, whe I overclocked to 3.15, before I get 20~~25,

I runeed the benchemark mission made By wargame, and before overclock I get 21 fps (medium) after I got 29

Also if you wanna use all you power from GPU, you have to have AA x8, fxaa ultra, blur etc <Things that are gpu intensive (I can get 80~~99%usage) but my fps drops a lot so I don't use it

If you put view distance, obeject detail terrain etc, it will eat you cpu slow down you card too

Ppl that complaim about perfomance of arma, don't get HOW MUCH you can see in arma, 3KM+, battlefield is 300 meters top, Crysis1 and 2 50m more or less, if you can see 10 times further, and don't have 10 times less fps, I don't call unoptimized I call overly ambitious

Thx for the support! i will try now!

however, with regard to everything 'is that in the recommended requirements were written requirements are not real .. would have to specify in detail this problem before buying perhcè 'if you really work that way' would be the first game that I see that uses these resources in this way and NOT THAT 'HEAVY ...' cause let's face it .. you do NOT play well at 25 fps on a game ... let alone on a random fps!

sorry for my bad English

Edited by R0adki11

Something happens when I get into a town and suddenly Im getting major slowdowns, 8 FPS or so. CPU-cores run at 80%, both of em (they never go any higher). GPU on the other hand is idling, 0% utilization for the most part, spikes to 15-20% for a splitsecond then idles again.

Just when I need the GPU the most, thats when the engine uses it the least. Something bogs down the CPU completely.

It doesn't matter if the game can draw 10km and show an accurate picture of all the planets rotating around earth if it is unplayable. That's just bad design.

It depends what the loop is doing and how often, it's not as simple as any loop will affect performance (at least not to the extent of causing lower framerates).

Also as Papanowel said you will see lower fps in MP even on an empty map with nothing on it and no scripts.

Also personally I'm not overclocking my CPU and risking the stability of my PC just because Arma 3 runs like crap, that's their job to fix and not mine by stressing my hardware which should be good enough to run the game well as it is.

intel processor k series are intended to be ockked, everything is changed from old processors, you don't risk your system stability around 4 -4.2 ghz with k series

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

@Simon1279 - what kind of cooling are you using to OC up to 5.2 GHZ? I'm looking at a new system build for ARMA 3 already.

@ flowa91 are you getting low FPS online? Because online FPS depends on server performance also. If the server is lagged out due to CPU load from AI or too many players or both. If you startup a dedicated server on a fast dual or quad core, not sharing your game pc, then have all your friends log into it, it should be better.

mineral oil submerged ;)

yes usually with my game group i use my PC as dedi server which is =AMI= dedicated Arma 3 server, but i'm on line just from 9,00 pm to 1,00 am almost everyday

intel processor k series are intended to be ockked, everything is changed from old processors, you don't risk your system stability around 4 -4.2 ghz with k series

i never heard about game requires overclock to be played

I play on a 3.4, easily runs it. Don't need to O'c, but it does help.

What do you have ?

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

mineral oil submerged ;)

yes usually with my game group i use my PC as dedi server which is =AMI= dedicated Arma 3 server, but i'm on line just from 9,00 pm to 1,00 am almost everyday

I play on a 3.4, easily runs it. Don't need to O'c, but it does help.

What do you have ?

I have this CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/37150 not oc

Guys, we're playing a SIMULATOR! Not a level based first person shooter, but a full blown SIMULATOR! What's the last simulator you played before the arma series that avged 30-40 fps?

The only ones to blame here are the ones that misguidedly set their own expectations of a game. This isn't BF3, you aren't getting a solid 90 FPS here, and bitching and moaning that your GPU isn't fully utilized isn't accomplishing anything aside from letting everyone know that you think your power bill is too low.

Guys, we're playing a SIMULATOR! Not a level based first person shooter, but a full blown SIMULATOR! What's the last simulator you played before the arma series that avged 30-40 fps?

The only ones to blame here are the ones that misguidedly set their own expectations of a game. This isn't BF3, you aren't getting a solid 90 FPS here, and bitching and moaning that your GPU isn't fully utilized isn't accomplishing anything aside from letting everyone know that you think your power bill is too low.

But why wouldn't it use up as much processor and gpu as it possibly could since it is a resource heavy application? Also why does a "simulator" have to operate at a lower frame rate?

The reason people like the OP are frustrated is because they spend good money to get the most out of their games. When a guy like the OP drops 2K € on top of the line GPU's and it rips though any other game on the market yet it lags on Arma 3 , well that says something about the optimization of the game. Yeah his power bill is too low but he doesn't care , he wants smooth fps and should be able to buy his way into it with top of the line hardware.

I think overall A3 is much better optimized than A2 (I get better graphics and settings at about the same framerate)

Fyi My Rig:

3770K @ 4.4

6870 x 2 cross fire

16gig 1333 7-7-7-21

I get about 40 -50 fps on multiplayer. Settings all about high or very high. So I think there must be something seriously wrong with OP's settings , version of game, or hardware (bios/gpu).

When I look at GPU usage it maxes out at about %65 but usually at %50 ,

the CPU doesn't seem to be working very hard at all.

So yeah I'm wondering if there could be a way to stress my system harder and give better fps.

Edited by Big_T

Thx Big_T for the support!! my hardware is ok! type anygame too i got 80 - 100 - 250 fps all games run fine!

the problem is oveclock i think! u have much clock on u're i7! i don't have 20 fps! i got on MULTIPLAYER 50fps - 60fps on SPAWN, in the war i got 20fps -30fps !

on the spawn it's ok!

on SINGLE player i got 80 - 90 FPS and is perfect! but the multiplayer is not 'an excuse to bring the game to 20 fps!

as I have already 'said I paid € 2000 for these cards! and I would have hoped that A3 was hoping I was running well! anyone would have hoped for having paid.

I can not play in the middle of a war with 20 30 fps! i want at least 60fps in all game situations!

but guys ... I read on this topic people shoot digit unreal to overclock to 4.5 GHz 5.6GHz? are you kidding me?? lads' a bottleneck in the game with the communication between the processor and video cards! STOP! is not optimized.

i want to stress my video card to 99% on ANY game because they are at 99%

On A3 40% 30% 26% 21% WOOT and my friends have the SAME problem!

if you leave this problem means that any chapter of any game that will come out 'in the future will they think can' use this tactic to not use the video card to 100% to have to buy another card when we do not need it! or wit 'tell before you buy the game! to the data speak.

Edited by flowa91

Flowa91: I see have the 3770k and a closed loop corsair cooler. What speed are you running your CPU at?

It could be slowing down in combat due to processing all the players and gunshots. But still even 3770k stock should be fine.

Also if single player is fine at 80fps, but multiplayer less then it could actually be the server fps or server lag.

Please, just telling us that you run X fps in multiplayer doesn't mean shit. You also have to mention what settings you are running with (viewdistance, objectdistance etc), what mission, and how many players there are on the server.

fiowa91, did you try the fix that I asked you to try earlier? (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?165871-GTX-TITAN-SLI-OC-(2000%E2%82%AC)-30-25-fps&p=2521626&viewfull=1#post2521626)

According to your first post your GPUs are idling because of the idiotic implementation of power saving mode with Nvidia GPUs. I had the same issue, and when I fixed it, it doubled my FPS in multiplayer.

i5-2500k - Cheap & great performance. Though someone else may be able to recommend something with a better bang for your buck. All's i know, it performs great & was cheap. It was cheap long ago when i bought it lol. As it was, at that time, the best bang for your buck.

Yep it's still a great CPU for it's price (sold regulary, atleast here in Germany) and it's stable at high clocks, just need a tower CPU cooler and fan and you're set. Also the mainboards for socket 1155 are cheaper than the new 1150.