Sign in to follow this  
novemberist

Has anyone managed to get ARMA 3 to work on WINE yet?

Right now Arma 3 is the last and only thing that still makes me boot into Windows (and the last game I have bought that comes without a linux port for sure , no excuses anymore!) which is a pity, because I'd really like to get rid of Windows completely and not waste an entire partition/run a seperate operating system to play my favourite video game and without always having to reboot every time I want to do some serious work. Now I know that a linux port for Arma 3 will never happen, but are there any chances the game will soon (or ever) run decently on WINE? Is there anything BI could and would be willing to do to help or speed up the process of making Arma 3 run on Linux with the help of WINE?

That being said, has anyone of you people maybe already gotten it to work by now?

There's only one very old report on the WineHQ database:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27812

I tried running it myself yesterday and I'm getting the same error.

If any programmers from BI are reading this thread and maybe care about us linux users:

Any chance something about this (D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain) can be done from your side without waiting for the wine project to implement this?

Edited by novemberist

I'd dearly love to see A3 running under Wine. I take hope that with Steam's ambitions to push into linux with Steam for Linux, SteamOS etc that there will eventually be a way to get my favourite game running under by preferred OS.

I just tried installing Steam and ARMA 3 within wine-1.6 and I'm getting this same error.

Some additional steps required:

1) Install winetricks.

2) Start winetricks and install Steam using winetricks, which will install it within it's own bottle. (ie. $HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/)

NOTE: Steam requires addtional fonts, such as corefonts and tahoma.

ie. winetricks prefix=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ list-cached

winetricks prefix=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ list-installed

winetricks prefix=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ steam

winetricks prefix=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ corefonts

winetricks prefix=$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ tahoma

3) Install additional game required libs such as physx, xact and d3dx11_43

(ie. winetricks prefix=/home/roger/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/ xact)

4) Start the game:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/" wine $HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/dosdevices/c\:/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Arma\ 3/arma3.exe

Or start Steam:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/" wine $HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/dosdevices/c\:/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/Steam.exe

ADDITIONAL COMMANDS

Configure Windows Settings and Libraries

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/" winecfg

Restart/Shutdown O/S (when processes dump)

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/" wineboot -f -k -s

I still can't get past the D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain either.

Too bad :( I guess we will have to wait and see if the wine developers can implement this or if BI can help us, once they have a little more time...

But it's a little odd anyways having 2 versions (linux native and wine) of steam installed at the same time. I hope the linux version will add wine support one day.

Could go either way.

But since Steam is an available solution for protectively distributing copyrighted code, might be a good bet we'll soon see either a wine or native solutions.

In the past, most games were based on Windows for also protecting the copyrighted code. Since there's a large Linux user base, might soon happen.

Some zealous Windows users may also be finding out they can indulge the Linux market with tons of games, to side track Linux or Open Source's stability record.

I ONLY have windows installed in order to play Arma3.

I also don't have Steam for Linux for the same reason.

Such a pitty that Arma3 comes with it's own OS and the additional cost of getting a windows7 license... :P