Sign in to follow this  
Cathrynn

The future is bright, the future is the BEAST

The question I've been asking myself for some time now is really quite simple: why is Armas new baby, it's brand new theatre of war, Altis, so fcuking colossal and detailed? The problem is my original question only has me asking many more questions, like why would you put so much time, effort and resources into crafting such an enormous place to do battle? I mean wouldn't the time and money have been better spent on improving other aspects of the game, or are there *other* factors at work here; and I'm NOT talking about any internal polotics as that is part and parcel of any business, no, I'm talking about BI's vision of the future, I'm talking about where and how BI sees the future of online gaming in this particular genre?

As a side note, I sometimes try to imagine what it would be like, perhaps in a number of years time, with maybe a couple of opposing company strength forces consisting of only human players doing battle on and about Altis... if only!

Why is the map so awesome? Because, it's probably the one single thing that is guaranteed to be constant throughout the life of ArmA3. Look at Chernarus, a map so singularly awesome that even now, several years on, I find I like to play it most of all. Awesome maps are a BIS staple, and I certainly wouldn't wish for that to change.

Also, your posts ignores the practice that there is a specific map development team, who's job it is to do maps, not other stuff.

Edited by DMarkwick

The problem is my original question only has me asking many more questions, like why would you put so much time, effort and resources into crafting such an enormous place to do battle?

The battlefield is the base of the combats, and it gives much of the atmosphere in the game. So it's an important feature, and the first that should be finished. You know, if you create a lot of units without a map to use them...

Right now we have almost all the base features of the game settled ( the campaign is still missing, but in few weeks we will have the first chapter ), so in a close future BI can focus in adding extra content ( more vehicles, units, etc. ).

I'm talking about where and how BI sees the future of online gaming in this particular genre?

IMO MP is only a part of Arma series, to me their main asset has always been SP; so I don't care much about the online options in this particular game. Though I wouldn't mind if in the long term future BI release a DLC only to improve MP, as long as they keep giving lots of love to SP.

Edited by MistyRonin

Based on Maruk's Report In, I think Altis' sheer scale is his pet baby if you get my drift.

I think you people should also show some love for Stratis at times ;) I've been playing on it again yesterday after some weeks of extensively exploring Altis and it's also a damn great map...I've missed it a little

Why is the map so awesome? Because, it's probably the one single thing that is guaranteed to be constant throughout the life of ArmA3. Look at Chernarus, a map so singularly awesome that even now, several years on, I find I like to play it most of all. Awesome maps are a BIS staple, and I certainly wouldn't wish for that to change.

Also, your posts ignores the practice that there is a specific map development team, who's job it is to do maps, not other stuff.

Looking at DCS's new EDGE engine, it looks a lot like ARMA. It just kills me that we have two struggling companies here, who can't seem to see that the best thing for both would be to merge. Together, what a COLOSSAL sim they could make! Imagine DCS terrain with Arma textures and Infantry, fighting alongside DCS vehicles and aircraft. The Mi-8 HIP and UH-1 Huey taking soldiers into the battlefield, while A-10C Warthogs provided CAS. Meanwhile, ARMA combat divers are placing limpit mines on a destroyer offshore. Its 2013 people! Time for a MODERN engine that can actually take advantage of $3000 modern systems!

I think you people should also show some love for Stratis at times ;) I've been playing on it again yesterday after some weeks of extensively exploring Altis and it's also a damn great map...I've missed it a little

Stratis is still a better map for hill/forest combat IMHO, and Kamino suited my recreation of the Jackal mission from A2 perfectly.

The question I've been asking myself for some time now is really quite simple: why is Armas new baby, it's brand new theatre of war, Altis, so fcuking colossal and detailed? The problem is my original question only has me asking many more questions, like why would you put so much time, effort and resources into crafting such an enormous place to do battle? I mean wouldn't the time and money have been better spent on improving other aspects of the game, or are there *other* factors at work here; and I'm NOT talking about any internal polotics as that is part and parcel of any business, no, I'm talking about BI's vision of the future, I'm talking about where and how BI sees the future of online gaming in this particular genre?

As a side note, I sometimes try to imagine what it would be like, perhaps in a number of years time, with maybe a couple of opposing company strength forces consisting of only human players doing battle on and about Altis... if only!

They always have put alot of time into rendering us with large environment(s), alot of weapons & vehicles. Albeit a little different this go round. :rolleyes: It's always been a huge sandbox though, so it's community dependent. The game wont start to shine until a few official patches & there are a large amount of mods worth playing. IMO though, this is a better release than arma1 by far. Not much better or worse than Arma2's release though imo. About the same in terms of polish.

Looking at DCS's new EDGE engine, it looks a lot like ARMA. It just kills me that we have two struggling companies here, who can't seem to see that the best thing for both would be to merge. Together, what a COLOSSAL sim they could make! Imagine DCS terrain with Arma textures and Infantry, fighting alongside DCS vehicles and aircraft.

No DCS in my arma pl0x kthnx.

NeuroFunker: I'm very excited and happy with Arma 3, warts and all, it's an amazing piece of craftsmanship when all is said and done.

DMarkwick: Yes, but was the map team just told to make such a masterpiece because they didn't have anything else better to do or was there perhaps, as I suspect, another reason that might be an indication of what's planned for the future? BI and the map team were really making a statement with Altis and I'd be inclined to think that, yes, it looks like a step closer towards trying to encourage massive team orientated warfare: which I believe can only be a good thing. You just have to look at the Dayz (quickly washs mouth out with soap) phenomenon, in terms of player numbers I mean, something BI, and Arma, would be extreamly foolish to ignore.

MistyRonin: I agree, MP is only a part of Arma, a very good part, but only a part none the less. SP is also vey important and I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on the campaign, it can't come soon enough (but that's just excitement talking, if I'm honest I don't mind if the campaign is delayed).

Chortles: And what a baby, he must have hips the size of a juggernaut, lol.

Maturin: Your right, map designers don't usually make animations or AI.

Novemberist & Steamtex: Stratis, what can I say, love it.

Harbinger2456: Nice idea and I guess stranger things have happened but I doubt DCS and Arma will ever come together in the future.

Pac Man: I can see our community only getting stronger with Arma 3 in the long run. The beast is dead, long live the BEAST!

2nd Ranger: This thread is about why Arma 3's main area of operation is so big, and what this fact might suggest, if anything.

As I said, "size-wise, probably because Maruk pushed for sheer scale and size so much in terms of what he wanted out of Arma 3".

2nd Ranger: This thread is about why Arma 3's main area of operation is so big, and what this fact might suggest, if anything.

It's (they've) always been massive, with every title.

Pac Man & Chortles: Thanks guys, although I'm still not entirely convinced that BI made the main map so big just because it's a tradition, I mean Altis is just massive. There must have been some thought at least into the bigger picture, into Armas future, the main map being somewhat synonymous - the land is the infantry man's bread and butter after all.

Again, I don't think it was so much "tradition" as "the CEO's most specific want was probably a crazy-big map, hence Altis".

Again, I don't think it was so much "tradition" as "the CEO's most specific want was probably a crazy-big map, hence Altis".

Yes, but why, there must have been some thought's towards the future with regards to the size of the map and it's implications on gameplay.

Looking at DCS's new EDGE engine, it looks a lot like ARMA. It just kills me that we have two struggling companies here, who can't seem to see that the best thing for both would be to merge. Together, what a COLOSSAL sim they could make! Imagine DCS terrain with Arma textures and Infantry, fighting alongside DCS vehicles and aircraft. The Mi-8 HIP and UH-1 Huey taking soldiers into the battlefield, while A-10C Warthogs provided CAS. Meanwhile, ARMA combat divers are placing limpit mines on a destroyer offshore. Its 2013 people! Time for a MODERN engine that can actually take advantage of $3000 modern systems!

No ta, and where is your source for saying that BIS is struggling?

Also, BI might already be working together with DCS guys. I heard about a special system that could provide data exchange between VBS, Steel Beasts and a (IIRC, DCS based) military flight sim to provide a higher level battlefield simulation. That's mostly a feature for the military, though. Really, I'd be happy if BI did something like Take On Airplanes and implemented their flight model properly. They're already doing it with helos.

Gents, if you'd like to chat about DCS and Arma please start a new thread.