Sign in to follow this  
islesfan186

AI Helicopter Gunners

So, whats the deal with the AI gunners only shooting 1 round at a time with their cannon? The AI gunner shoots one round, then waits a second, then fires another. It's an automatic weapon! AI gunners have been doing this since one of the A2 patches. Anyone else find this a tad annoying?

Yeah, noticed this myself while just doing the Air showcases, I think AI needs a bit of tweaking both air & ground, especially the god like aiming of AI soldiers...

Tbh, they should be able to hit the target first. Currently the AI chopper gunners overshoot the targets almost always.

Played yesterday and had that behavior, but not all the time. At least when I was really close, it went full auto. Played it again today and went full auto on them from the beginning, but to be honest, I don't know on what difficulty I was playing the day before (today was normal without Super AI). It was quite fun actually!

First it is not the so called one round. Did you switch to 3rd person view to see the connon firing? Did you notice the number of smoke when bullets hit the target?

Second it is a sound issue.

Not only on helos but also on the ground. They just shoot when they have the target (actual or "virtual", for when they're guessing the enemy position), no supressing fire, fire superiority or saturation. They should learn that.

Yeah the ai gunners are really bad. The whole AI section needs some serious work running in multiple threads really.

Google Inc sent me here. Is there a way to make the gunner in helos to engage targets without using the dreaded command menu? My joystick has limited buttons so I can't program the Fx menu on it.

I believe once you set them to "Open fire, Engage at will" mode they will attack all targets automatically.

It depends on the target and the distance. Closer distance will achieve better volume of fire. You can also switch to manual fire as the pilot. The gunner will still aim, but you can fire as you please.

Thanks. It's a lot trickier with "analogue" gunships though, like the Hind. Perhaps I can get a Voiceattack (or what's it called?) profile to order the gunner?

It's another short sighted implementation from BI. If you don't fly the helo, the stupid AI goes into enemy territory and gets you killed.

It's too much to handle the command menu to assign AI targets and fly the gunship simultaneously, especially if it's one like the Hind. I guess I'll have to programme a Voiceattack profile and start shouting at the game :lecture:

The AI in gunships should be allowed to fire missiles, also.

I have no issue with AI gunner prioritizing targets on their own, but the flying is atrocious.. Pilots just do a straight up strafe that ends up killing the gunship even with APC/IFV fire. So I have to fly CAS and arrange targets for gunner AI, and if there's no digital HUD I can't tell which is which.

• Like 1