Sign in to follow this  
_x_

Java: Post-Release Edition

To continue the thread that was started during the Alpha back in February, this is where we currently stand:

We have not abandoned Java, and we want Object-Oriented scripting.

Seven months on (to the day) it would be nice to hear an update from the developers on what the plans are surrounding the mysterious JVM and Java scripting.

I personally hope we never see Java in Arma 3. I would much prefer the V8 Javascript engine to be embedded.

I personally hope we never see Java in Arma 3. I would much prefer the V8 Javascript engine to be embedded.

I prefer to get my type errors during compile time and not during run time. Plus java is faster with hotspot. Though first class functions would be nice :|

I was considering making this thread as well. Any kind of official word one way or the other would be great.

I can't even use editor... imagine JAVA <<that is a greek word? =D

But what is the advantages of it?

I can't even use editor... imagine JAVA <<that is a greek word? =D

But what is the advantages of it?

The advantage is that it isn't SQF. Java, Python, Ruby, JavaScript, Lua, C# - any of those would be an improvement over what we have now.

For me, the inclusion of a better programming language was the main selling point of ArmA 3. Without that, I don't really have any interest in the game.

Though first class functions would be nice :|
Scala provides that, and would be supported via the JVM.

For me, the inclusion of a better programming language was the main selling point of ArmA 3. Without that, I don't really have any interest in the game.

Fair enough man. Personally, as long as I can get the end result I need, I don't really mind how I get there.

I know what you mean though. I went out and bought some books about Java, but I can't really be bothered to learn it if I can't see an end result in game, so the cancellation/postponment ended my learning of Java before it began.

Now that you mention it, yea it could work :D

cancellation/postponement

This is the part that bothers me. It's been half a year and we still don't know if it's been postponed or cancelled, and it's not like people stopped asking about it in that time period. And we've had tons of updates about almost every other aspect of the development throughout the alpha/beta phases.

If they ran into trouble and need more time, or it just turned out to not be feasible or whatever then that would be fine (I would be disappointed), but it would be nice to have at least some idea of what is happening on this front and not feel like we've been completely forgotten.

Edit: Ironic last post to this thread.

Edited by roshnak

Edit: Ironic last post to this thread.

No longer!

The advantage is that it isn't SQF. Java, Python, Ruby, JavaScript, Lua, C# - any of those would be an improvement over what we have now.

True this,

Its like giving a car garage a screw driver and some duct tape and sent him off to fix stuff.

no JSON/XML, Assoc Arrays,Objects,

Oh, hey, this thread is back. I'm still interested in what's going on with this.