Sign in to follow this  
Warin

Avalon Hill

In the days of my youth, one of my favourite pastimes was playing strategy games from Avalon Hill.

Anyone else out there ever play them?

Does anyone know any reliable PBEM systems?

As much fun as OFP is, I am getting a real urge to play some games that focus more on strategy than tactics.

Can't help you know but my, that name brings back memories. They did a lot of good stuff in the old paper and pen days of wargaming.

To some extent, they are still superior to almost anything you can find on a computer. Some people arent into moving around hundreds of cardboard counters though. For anyone interested in recreating historical battles, they are pretty cool.

I am going to head down to visit a high school friend sometime this fall, and I have a feeling that we'll end up dragging a few games out and playing a bit.

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 22 2002,08:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the days of my youth, one of my favourite pastimes was playing strategy games from Avalon Hill.

Anyone else out there ever play them?<span id='postcolor'>

My husband has here in the kid's closet AH's Midway and Panzerblitz board games he used to play with his friends in his teens.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Aug. 22 2002,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 22 2002,08:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the days of my youth, one of my favourite pastimes was playing strategy games from Avalon Hill.

Anyone else out there ever play them?<span id='postcolor'>

My husband has here in the kid's closet AH's Midway and Panzerblitz board games he used to play with his friends in his teens.<span id='postcolor'>

Ooooh smile.gif Two of the easier ones that are also a lot of fun.

I am waiting for my copy of Squad Leader to arrive. Platoon level combat on the Russian front in WW II. I need to find all the gamettes though... and that might be tough.

They're spreading Avalon Hill's Third Reich Computer Version as abandonware nowadays. It's pretty nice grand strategy, comprising the European theater of WWII. The game even models panzer breakthroughs and encirclements.

I've had a few laughs playing that thing.