Sign in to follow this  
lkincheloe

COOP 32 - Resistance (FIA vs CSAT)

Very nice mission, has a few issues but generally very nice and has potential to be very very good

Here are some of my thoughts. Please take them as constructive suggestions.

ENEMY

The depth of enemy and the type and size of enemy is by far the best on any public play style of mission to date. This does not need touching.

It could do with the system that patrol ops impliments that removes their armour protection making them a tad easier to kill

What you could also do , is create some DAC style bases that spawn QRF Units that react to the objective areas (Guard waypoints). Taking out the "DAC" style camp stops the enemy from sending reinforcements from these locations. These "DAC" camps should be very difficult to take

Define a maximum player viewdistance variable and use this for the enemy to player spawning distance

eg

Txu_VD = 3500;

setviewdistance Txu_VD;

Txu_spawndistance = Txu_VD + 300;

and then use the Txu_spawndistance as the minimum distance to the nearest playableunit to spawn or despawn units

add the gui that allows players to set their viewdistance, having the maximum range as Txu_VD

ORBAT

..... I would add a command element, maybe a 2 man group, Officer and medic

..... I would add callsigns, setgroupID ["HQ"]; Alpha, Bravo, Charlie Delta (Helps a lot with comms when its simple like this)

..... I would change the groups to 4 x 8 man squads and for each group have

.......... 1 x MG Pickup

.......... 1 x Flat bed truck

.......... 1 x mechanic so they can repair the vehicles

.......... 1 x medic

I would start all NON JIP players in vehicles and clearly define in the unit description field something like

Driver Alpha MG Pickup

Gunner Alpha MG Pickup

Passenger Alpha Truck etc etc

With no crates or vas to interrupt the start, the players are all set up in convoy formation ready to go and they should be down the road within a minute

Have JIP players moveincargo to the mobile respawn vehicle automatically

This way you can make your base minimal as its really then only needed as

a) a starting point

b) respawning vehicle pick up point

c) vehicle repair & rearm point

EQUIPMENT:

a) I would place supporting ammo in each truck instead of the ammo crates at the start and equp the players with the stuff they take from the ammo crates anyway

(There is nothing worse at the start of a mission than waiting around for 10 mins so folks can equip themselves better with content that is available in an ammo crate

There is a dire need for a minimum of 2 X AAA and supporting missiles to take out the helo's that can attack as soon as you leave base

Rather than equip players with these, add them to the vehicle cargo

I would set up the vehicle respawns as follows

• Mobile vehicle: Invulnerable
  • 4 x MG Pickups: No abandoned timer, 1800 rounds of ammo ("100Rnd_127x99_Mag_Tracer_Yellow",)
  • 4 x Trucks: No abandoned timer
  • 1 x unarmed pickup with a mortar attached to it on the back (_mortar attachTo [MortarVeh,[0,-3,0.1]];) is a good position with plenty of ammo
  • 1 x Non armed pickup truck with 30 second abandoned timer (Used for JIP players and players who need to respawn back at base for whatever reason)

All vehicles should respawn with the same amount of ammo and or attached weapons

Get rid of the static weapons that can be stripped and moved, this is just too cumbersome and problematic for fluid gameplay

AREA OF OPERATIONS

The entire island is a bit too big for the scope of a resistance faction. Having played this with our community several times in a well organised manner we only scratch the surface of the number of objectives available.

What I thought might be a better idea is to have a Parameter option as follows

Select Resistance Cell

• National Cell (For all the island)
  • N.E Cell
  • S.E Cell
  • N.W Cell
  • S.W Cell
  • Random Cell

This would then start the players at one of four bases as per the Cell area and the objectives would be in this quadrant of the island.

You could then define the objectives with empty markers or game logics rather than automatically done via "locations" to control more accurately the enemy placement and spawn points.

MISCELLANEOUS GAMPLAY

I don't see any game-play advantages of carrying defences around etc, it needs to be a more fluid movement moving from objective to objective without the need to return to base except to pick up a respawned vehicle.

Helo's

I dont think it should be possible to capture and then use a helo, what might be a better game-play alternative is, if you take one down and don't fully destroy it, it reduces the number of enemy air assets available to OPFOR. Keep gameplay infantry based with mortar support

Dead Body system

Have a system that defines a limit to the number of dead bodies and then when that limit is achieved, remove the oldest body in the dead body array (Serverside only using the local, not mp "killed EH")

This way dead bodies don't de-spawn infront of you , stay around long enough after the objective has been taken to pilfer from but doesnt hog too much cpu bandwidth.

I would also remove some equipment from them when they die so that the weapon upgrades available to players are leaner than they are now (Just weapons and equipment, not ammo)

Enemy spawning

You should define a maximum viewdistance and then have the enemy spawn when the nearest player is at max viewdistance + say 300m

Command & Control

Groups ideally should have group icons so that the mission commander can get better situational awareness

These have options for 2d (Map view only) or 3D so can be seen in game view

Maybe have a gui switch for the unit markers. eg

a) Unit markers for players group or every player

b) Players names displayed or hidden

Assigning a marker to each vehicle could be worthwhile too, that way the mission commander can assign "v1" to Alpha etc and stops some confusion as to which vehicle belongs to which group

The respawn system allows you to define an init field entry for the respawning vehicle. You could use this to send parameters to a respawn script that

a) redefines the global variable for the vehicle or setvariable. (This then allows the marker tracking system to fluidly work on the recreated vehicle)

b) Reload the vehicle cargo with supporting ammo and or equipment

Optimisation

any script that is called more than once, recreate it as a function and then call (or if it has a sleep or waituntil then "spawn" it)

The looping script you have that saves the weapon loadouts on a player every 2 seconds, change this to a killed eventhandler and then grab the loadout of the dead unit via the event handler script and then pass that to the respawned player loadout script

The mission works really well with ACRE short range radio, the default radio that ACRE adds.

It keeps units within 500m or so of one n other so they can keep in comms range

Edited by Terox

Sorry I haven't been active. Burned myself completely out on Arma a while back so I had to take a break, working on some of the bugs posted.

some feedback:

-respawning causes main weapon to disappear

- mobile respawn medical zamak cannot tow the pick up

From RPT log file:

Error in expression <il {BTC_logic getVariable _uid}) then{
BTC_logic setVariable [_uid,0,true];
BTC>
 Error position: <BTC_logic setVariable [_uid,0,true];
BTC>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: btc_logic

Main objective marker 'Capture Northwest Airfield' is still present on the map after airfield was captured, no message popped up saying it's captured and in the task list the objective was not marked as completed. I haven't tested other objectives but they could be broken too.

Edited by Matosh

Thanks Kinch for the awesome mission. We use it often on our private server for some great battles against the bots.

I have a couple of questions that should be quick and easy to answer. Maybe someone else can pitch in here too if they know.

1. What version of EOS are you using in your version b0.59? Is it EOS v1.9?

2. If it is EOS v1.9, is there plans to go to the current version which is I think v1.98? There are many new features in the new version that would really enhance the quantity and placements of the bots in the zones.

Thanks again for the mission and hope to see more missions and/or updates in the future. :-)

1. What version of EOS are you using in your version b0.59? Is it EOS v1.9?

b0.59 is using EOS v1.9.

two major bugs present:

• objectives are not marked as fullfilled despite capturing them
  • mobile respawn problems: after a while does not respawn or ghosting on the map

@LKincheloe: I´ve reworked your codes with the offroad pickups respawn init behaivor. They´re all spawning now with static weapon attach working. Also camo is going to be loaded on every Vehicle.

my workaround for Igiload is just using the whole module(new version) itself acitvated atm, since i couldnt get the code to work for that until now. And its fine still and works after respawn.

I would share the codes with you if you like to. But before i looking to find another problems solutions.

BTW: The capture points really seem to do much problems, as if you are not going straight into the enemy without flanking, it lets them despawn and u´ll never been able to capture object. I really suggest working on that. I´ll also have my eyes on it, but i know thoose scripts can be really annoying.

Greetz

Kabs

@LKincheloe: I´ve reworked your codes with the offroad pickups respawn init behaivor. They´re all spawning now with static weapon attach working. Also camo is going to be loaded on every Vehicle.

my workaround for Igiload is just using the whole module(new version) itself acitvated atm, since i couldnt get the code to work for that until now. And its fine still and works after respawn.

I would share the codes with you if you like to. But before i looking to find another problems solutions.

BTW: The capture points really seem to do much problems, as if you are not going straight into the enemy without flanking, it lets them despawn and u´ll never been able to capture object. I really suggest working on that. I´ll also have my eyes on it, but i know thoose scripts can be really annoying.

Greetz

Kabs

This the attach guns to trucks dynamically script?

If you changed the code can you post it here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?172089-FIA-Offroader-augmentation

I would rather like to see your solution.

No its just the vehicle respawn script, i took another script that worked well with "Addaction" after respawn of vehicle. So before if a carriage truck or pickup was destroyed in resistance, it wasnt useable anymore for its jobs ( truck take crates, pickup loading static weapons). This since the code put directly onto the vehicles wasnt loading after respawn. i fixed that with the other code wich is TBH still not fully ready now. Also its not my code, i just edited it but it works :) Also the camo for the vehicles in base is applied directly and stays after respawn.

This to me is one of the best missions for Arma.

I would be a shame if is not updated! because LKincheloe is burn out!

It would be great if the community can pick up his work and continue improvements on it.

Here i list all bugs than can be encountered with my script. anyone willingly to help with knowledge is welcome to help me.

1. Bug: if a static weapons is mounted on the pickup, i need a script that restricts access to action menue "dissamble *thisstatic weapon*"

2. Bug: i need a script that forbids lifting of the crates/boxes, wich can be lifted/loaded with helicopter, *especally when beeing loaded* (maybe just a para in the lift script of resistance)

Thats so far all the problem i recognized or beeing forgotten. I have guys testing with me, will look out for more.

I would apreciate any help to thoose ;)

i am gonna have more look on my script, addin features. then i will maybe switch to another thing wich could be solved.

BTW: the white crates in base have wrong script running as i noticed. well i presume thoose chest should be empty for storage of players. to really making boxes empty you need to add global factor to the script:

clearWeaponCargoGlobal this; clearMagazineCargoGlobal this;

That i fixed in my version this evening.

@john681611: your script is working on my server. but.... here it comes below

AHH and again another thing to you john: Your script is missing a check function if a weapon was mounted after xx seconds, so that it would let you give again the access menue function "this addAction ["Prepare truck for weapon","truckINT.sqf"];". If you choose it -> get in as driver -> its stucked until the car is respawned again with the script. That you should definatley fix. think a check and loop/reset should do it.

greetz

Edited by Kabs

The mobile HQ seems bugged too.. the vehicle is for me spawned in base but the mobile marker is still anywhere else on map.

The main problem with the mobile marker is it's a home-brew script and thus most likely breaks when touched. I figured out something else to do instead of making broken scripts.

The main problem with the mobile marker is it's a home-brew script and thus most likely breaks when touched. I figured out something else to do instead of making broken scripts.

sounds good mate! hope you find the solution an easy task.

I also saw that this despawn from eos markers my make problems. Sometimes when the troops spawn and u going off that zone for a while, there will be no units anymore and you arent beeing able to capture the zone anymore. For me it was the first Tower.

BTW. so you said nothing about me, want to help with your mission. So ?

Edited by Kabs

Just had a look round the new parts of the map on Dev build. Very interested in the ghost resort, looks just like the place a large resistance movement would use as a HQ ;) Would be happy to help make it a reality once its on stable.

Yeah, feel free to PM me any changes you've got and I'll plug 'em in.

EDIT: Was meant for Kabs, but I suppose to John works too :p

Edited by LKincheloe

I gave John some tasks to fullfill his script.

Why dont you use "BTC Revive" for your mobile HQ ? i am on it, but i got some problems atm, not knowing all your scripts wich may do problems to it.

ATM when i respawn i cant find any point to respawn, still can press the button, ending with just lying down where i died in dead position, cant move but throw grenades ^O^ö

I used to have BTC revive, but there were some significant JIP issues with players jumping in late being unable to interact with downed players. Usually ended horribly if one type or the other got wiped in an attack.

why not dump the revive script altogether and either use Another one or look into the default re spawn menu template I used it in my inhouse CQB missions works great.

Please don't take out the WOUNDED system... Actually is one that work correctly as it should and is not a "DEAD" respawn script.