Sign in to follow this  
50.cal

Where is the Inventory Editor?

Wasn't an inventory editor part of the confirmed features?

The only way to edit the gear is by scripting in the unit initialization field.

there were so many 'confirmed' things not implemented, some things even disappeared from the website (shotguns *hint*)..

maybe they'll deliver, maybe not..

/irony on

wait until someone creates a MOD for it.

/irony off

Setting loadouts is one of the easier feats of scripting, and I doubt that any editor-based solution will be as useful or versatile.

...wait until someone creates a MOD for it.

Why do people capitalize "mod"? It's not an acronym.

Scripting loadouts might not be hard, but it is _insane_ in a game that has customization. It's literally the worst possible way to do it and takes way too much time to something simple as that. Editor needs the loadout tab

Thanks for the answers,

I really hope this will be implemented though.

Disappointed :/

Scripting loadouts might not be hard, but it is _insane_ in a game that has customization. It's literally the worst possible way to do it and takes way too much time to something simple as that. Editor needs the loadout tab

+infinity.

I'm sure there are some very talented modders and people who are great at acripting in the arma community, but there are also a LOT of us who aren't, and don't care to have 10 browser windows open with various tutorials bookmarked every time we want to make a simple mission. There are a lot of functions that could be a lot more user friendly, and IMO unit loadout is something that shouldn't require a 30 command string in the init field of each unit for a customized loadout. Something like the VAS interface would be awesome to have in the editor. Maybe a button on the unit config window that would bring it up, and once the loadout is completed it just injects the code to the init field. Typing and copy/pasting all the "this AddMagazine blahblahblah" commands gets very tedious if you're trying to set up more than a couple units with custom configs.

Scripting will always be the more powerful tool, but they could make it way easier to set up a basic mission. This is an even bigger issue with the game launching with no SP campaign. I have to either play buggy missions from the workshop, or make my own. I do enjoy making missions, I just wish it were a bit easier for beginners.

/rant.

edited for typos.

Edited by JestersDead

I'm sure there are some very talented modders and people who are great at acripting in the arma community, but there are also a LOT of us who aren't, and don't care to have 10 browser windows open with various tutorials bookmarked every time we want to make a simple mission.

You are making it out to be far more complex than it is. Implementing a loadout script is a very simple affair, and as with most things, one you only need to learn once.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad idea for the editor to have this functionality - it would be fine for simpler missions. I'm saying that it would likely not come close to the flexibility of the scripting solution.

we do need to have an in editor Gear selector, yes I know BIS said its on its "way". What I hate the most is when I play a sp mission and spend 5 min selecting my gear, just to die 5 min later and then have to do it all over. Yes I know how to do basic scripting and if i took the time I would set up my units with scripts But I dont want to.

I like to play a mission a different way every now and then, and I dont want to have to re-wright the hole script to change a few things. So I sick of all these guys out there saying just learn scripting or something like it. The thing is we should not have to know how to right scripts or mess with configs to play this game to its full potential.

The thing is we should not have to know how to right scripts or mess with configs to play this game to its full potential.

Those who refuse to look under the hood will never see Arma's full potential.

Those who refuse to look under the hood will never see Arma's full potential.

True, but also the game also doesn't reach it's full potential if it lacks basic functionality

True, but also the game also doesn't reach it's full potential if it lacks basic functionality

Of course it does. You just want things to be easier. Don't confuse the two.

OT: I use VAS.

IMO:Some people are not able/inclined to script/mod so why should they be expected to learn a computer language or skill to enjoy the game?

Some people are not able/inclined to script/mod so why should they be expected to learn a computer language or skill to enjoy the game?

They aren't.

You don't need to open the editor at all to enjoy Arma. If, however, you want to create missions of any depth, you are going to have to learn at least a little bit of Arma's language. Anyone can do it, you just have to want to. If you don't want to, then we're done here.

Hey you know I am a long time Arma player and have a bit of knowledge about scripting the game myself but that's not what I'm talking about.

We are not talking about creating a crazy tank with "some attach to" scripts (just joking), it's just about a loadout/inventory/gear tool for units and vehicles!

The 3 first advantages I could see are:

1. Huge gain of time

2. Instant preview of your character and all assets in 3d while doing the gear selection

3. Great possibility of evolution over the time and an other step in the direction of a fully integrated 3d editor ;-)

I am sure some devs share the same thoughts as me...hope you guys can push this up to a point we will have it working!

cheers

we do need to have an in editor Gear selector, yes I know BIS said its on its "way". What I hate the most is when I play a sp mission and spend 5 min selecting my gear, just to die 5 min later and then have to do it all over. Yes I know how to do basic scripting and if i took the time I would set up my units with scripts But I dont want to.

I like to play a mission a different way every now and then, and I dont want to have to re-wright the hole script to change a few things. So I sick of all these guys out there saying just learn scripting or something like it. The thing is we should not have to know how to right scripts or mess with configs to play this game to its full potential.

+1 -...

They aren't.

You don't need to open the editor at all to enjoy Arma. If, however, you want to create missions of any depth, you are going to have to learn at least a little bit of Arma's language. Anyone can do it, you just have to want to. If you don't want to, then we're done here.

Undeniable quote Harzach. But it's amazing how Eagle Dynamics(DCS Franchise) did such a simple job with their aircraft load-out system...and what amazes me even more...it was never supposed to be a game for such a wide audience. In fact, BIS should take some good ideas out of the DCS World editor...but let's not kid ourselves, not all that scripting is gold...

Everyone knows that if you're looking "under the hood" on anything, you're obliged to know the language, whatever it may be but, wouldn't it be nice to make it so the more creative people in terms of game mechanics/design have their way with the editor? I trust we wouldn't be stuck with poorly shuffled scripting like the common Dominations, Insurgency and the derivatives...

The only half decent scripting I've seen so far is Bennys Edition and maybe, maybe "insertmapname here" Life...the rest are all properly authorized ripoffs, and excuse me for the poor choice of words but it's not my native language... This exploration of someones old ideas is what's, ironically "dominating" the server numbers, and its blocking (I personally believe) fresh ideas from surfacing.

This issue, for as insignificant as it may be, translates into some slackness from our coder saviors. I do a bit of it myself, but time constraints for whichever reasons don't actually allow me, or the common gamer for that matter, to engage further into the "content creation" or game modding fields, and that's obviously natural. But denying that there's no room for improvement in the flexibility of a platform to enable creative people to deliver good ideas via modding tool/ editor is, to say the least, very arrogant. In the end, there is a large part of the community that would wish BIS delivered a fully functional, accessible and easy to maneuver "modding platform", rather than poorly developed content. No flame intended. Just an opinion.

Cheers!

Edited by MarkusLetifer

Don't use DCS as an example of the way editors should be. It's pathetic when compared to Arma.

It's load out is nicer since there are only 11 slots and only an extremely limited amount of weapons which can go in each slot.

Even vanilla content of ArmA is far too complicated to have a DCS style load out feature. Then when you start adding in mod weapons... Well it's a lot.

ACE used to have a "magic box" which included every item in it. Clients would lock up loading it and it would take minutes to initialize.

Do you want that every time you add a unit to the map? Just so you can click pretty pictures to give someone a gun instead of learning how 6 lines of code work and how to look up a class name?

Don't use DCS as an example of the way editors should be. It's pathetic when compared to Arma.

It's load out is nicer since there are only 11 slots and only an extremely limited amount of weapons which can go in each slot.

Even vanilla content of ArmA is far too complicated to have a DCS style load out feature. Then when you start adding in mod weapons... Well it's a lot.

ACE used to have a "magic box" which included every item in it. Clients would lock up loading it and it would take minutes to initialize.

Do you want that every time you add a unit to the map? Just so you can click pretty pictures to give someone a gun instead of learning how 6 lines of code work and how to look up a class name?

You missed my point. Giving away the on-topic specific opinion of how an interface could look like in relation to load-outs alone, is a perfect example of how easy it could be implemented in the editor interface. And I'm not talking about pretty hats and weird sunglasses. The intention here was never to compare the editors and put them inside the same category. That thought is just ridiculous, as I pointed out before...DCS wasn't even supposed to be a game.

About ACE, oh man! Where could we start. The amount of information loaded on clients is ludicrous if you are going for the "full package". But it is not in discussion here, I'm afraid. But I understand the need of including every possibility in an idea, the feasibility of the idea is a whole different matter for debate.

The only thing I want to point out about your last argument is that, obviously, the majority of the people aren't taking the effort to learn those 6 lines of code (myself excluded). So something must compensate for that fact, something could be changed. Not right away of course, it's too late for that but, in future iterations of the game maybe.

Now, why the majority of people aren't even bothering developing their intellect a little to fully appreciate the game? I wouldn't dare to guess. Maybe we should be discussing the flaws in the conception of the human brain, maybe debating if whether or not BIS should make adjustments to their marketing orientation, so it attracts only enlightened coders, but that wouldn't be on topic so, I'll refrain from doing that by lighting the match myself.

It's funny though..."clicking pretty pictures" was an oversight from my part. Sounds promissing =)

Cheers!

Edited by MarkusLetifer

OT: I use VAS.

IMO:Some people are not able/inclined to script/mod so why should they be expected to learn a computer language or skill to enjoy the game?

this guy has a huge point.... why do we have to learn doss language or whatever its called to enjoy arma 3???

if this game was more user friendly than "script script script" it would have more players...

back on topic... it is a confirmed feature and APPARENTLY still working on it.

EDIT: As awesome as it would be to have a GUI for changing a unit's inventory in the mission editor, it wouldn't add any new functionality to the game; it would only server to make existing functionality a bit easier for the less programming-inclined users.

Which there's nothing wrong with.

But I'd prefer BIS spend their time on more important things.

Like things we can't already do...

Or fix things that are broken.

Or optimize the game's performance.

Or...literally anything else, to be honest.

And there's nothing wrong with someone that doesn't know how to script a loadout, but if you're gonna go to the forums and demand that BIS add an inventory editor because you think it's too much work to add a few lines of code to your mission...that's just kinda lame.

For anyone who doesn't know how to script a loadout, here's some (hopefully) helpful code:

_unit = player; // The unit to apply the loadout to.

// These three lines of code remove everything from the unit, making him a blank slate.

[url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/removeAllContainers"]removeAllContainers[/url] _unit;
[url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/removeAllWeapons"]removeAllWeapons[/url] _unit;
[url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/removeAllAssignedItems"]removeAllAssignedItems[/url] _unit;

// These lines add a uniform, vest, and backpack

_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addUniform"]addUniform[/url] "U_B_CombatUniform_mcam_tshirt";
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addVest"]addVest[/url] "V_PlateCarrierSpec_rgr";
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addBackpack"]addBackpack[/url] "B_AssaultPack_rgr";

// These add magazines to the unit.
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addMagazines"]addMagazines[/url] ["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag", 10]; // [magazineClassName, numberOfMagazines]
_unit addMagazines ["9Rnd_45ACP_Mag", 10];

// Adding weapons
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addWeapon"]addWeapon[/url] "arifle_MXC_F";
_unit addWeapon "hgun_ACPC2_F";

// Adding weapon attachments
{_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addPrimaryWeaponItem"]addPrimaryWeaponItem[/url] _x} [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/forEach"]forEach[/url] ["optic_aco","muzzle_snds_H","acc_flashlight"];
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addHandgunItem"]addHandgunItem[/url] "muzzle_snds_acp";

// Adding all of the items that go on your head
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addHeadgear"]addHeadgear[/url] "H_Watchcap_blk";
_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addGoggles"]addGoggles[/url] "G_Combat";
_unit addWeapon "NVGoggles";
_unit addWeapon "Rangefinder";

// The items on your toolbelt
{_unit addWeapon _x} forEach ["ItemMap","ItemGPS","ItemRadio","ItemCompass","ItemWatch"];

// The items in your inventory	
{_unit [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addItem"]addItem[/url] _x} forEach ["FirstAidKit","FirstAidKit","FirstAidKit","FirstAidKit","FirstAidKit","FirstAidKit"];

And here is where you can get a lot of classnames for weapons, magazines, clothing, etc.

Edited by Outlawled

Expect them to deliver something not only to use in the editor but also to replace the boxes\VAS when needed.

Learn scripts for something so trivial is ridiculous.

this guy has a huge point.... why do we have to learn doss language or whatever its called to enjoy arma 3???

if this game was more user friendly than "script script script" it would have more players...

No he doesn't, no we don't, and no it wouldn't.

I'll say it again: Adding more functionality is great, as long as it doesn't take resources away from more important issues, and as long as everyone realizes that it still won't compare to proper scripting.

I know how to gear up the soldier but it´s f*kin annoying.

Harzach, maybe they should just give you a C++ book for Arma 4 and a guide on how to build the game from the ground up..."you only have to do it once...."

This is a basic feature that should be in the game, playing around with scripts just to choose your loadout is caveman style gaming.

Let´s make it an option, the guys who love scripts can spend time doing that while the rest uses a common thing called drag´n´drop.

No he doesn't, no we don't, and no it wouldn't.

I'll say it again: Adding more functionality is great, as long as it doesn't take resources away from more important issues, and as long as everyone realizes that it still won't compare to proper scripting.

Elitist much? Seriously, I can script a loadout to a unit but it's time consuming as hell over multiple units in a mission, where as a simple non graphical text based gear loadout editor would alleviate so much of the sheer mundane time consumption that it's clearly worth it.