Vormulac

CO08 Escape Chernarus Ports for Altis and Stratis.

I'm not sure how saving works so currently no. You can play single player by hosting a local lan server. We haven't made a balance pass yet (been working on fixing bugs that keep cropping up. I'll swear I've fixed one then it crops up again several playthroughs later).

runExtraction.sqf

_boat1 flyinheight 50;
_boat2 flyinheight 50;

This seems to prevent the helicopters from landing under certain circumstances. You should move it after the "all players in"-condition.

It would also be a good idea, to add 2 invisible heliH with a save position (bis_fnc_findPos) to force them to land near the evac zone.

I'll try moving that. I'm not sure I follow with the invisible helis but I'll look into it. I ran one this afternoon and the heli's just stared at us from above.

Edit: Now I understand what you mean. Misunderstood heliH.

Edited by Vormulac

hey man, was just wonderin if its fine to edit the mission? i would like to include some scopes of my own to the ammo crates if its possible? would it be easy to do? im familiar with the editor was just thinking because it such a dynamic mission it could be hard to change the content of the crates?

Currently if you want to edit it for your own purposes that's fine, but don't publish it. The ammo crates, and enemy balance will be changed (read fixed) as we get to it. Currently I'm just doing a lot of bugfixes so haven't had a chance to get to them yet.

ah ok was just wondering is it as easy as just adding stuff to the init line in the ammo crates? or is there more to it cause it all spawns randomly?

You should be able to add anything into the file they're created in (the function starts on line 245 of scripts/escape/functions.sqf).

We've got the AI tweaked (needs more playtesting to finalize), most of the bugs seem to be fixed, and performance is up :D. Next is weapon/unit/vehicle balancing.

We've got the AI tweaked (needs more playtesting to finalize), most of the bugs seem to be fixed, and performance is up :D. Next is weapon/unit/vehicle balancing.

Shall I reworke my old "random loadout" from Escape Podagorsk/Takistan/Isla Duala for you guys?

And I also worked on a simple revive sctipt for A3 inspired by the one from Escape Chernarus. This "Time till bledout -1 .. -2 ... -3" in your missions annoys me a little bit :D

I also saw in the changelogs that you guys are struggling with keeping the Stratis-codebase up to the Altis one. THere is a simple solution: Remove the Script-folder from the stratis version and create a link to the altis-folder with a ntfs-link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

And even better: move this scriptfolder to dropbox and create a link to the dropbox folder. So you have a simple syncronisation between you guys without the need of an own SVN server or a github account.

Shall I reworke my old "random loadout" from Escape Podagorsk/Takistan/Isla Duala for you guys?

And I also worked on a simple revive sctipt for A3 inspired by the one from Escape Chernarus. This "Time till bledout -1 .. -2 ... -3" in your missions annoys me a little bit :D

Not sure if something like that would be included since the goal for now is having direct port. Anyone is free to create modded version though. Also, there's really not enough content in A3 to randomize much, I think.

Norrin is back and he'll be porting the original revive script to A3 so we're waiting for that. Until then I think we'll stick with the current revive script.

I don't think this has been posted yet, the mission repo's: https://github.com/Vormulac

Just keep in mind that often times debugging stuff will be enabled in there.

Hi man if i want to add anything to the basic weapon box

it should be here right?

// Basic Weapon Box

_weapons = [];

_weaponMagazines = [];

then i should change it to something like this?

// Basic Weapon Box

_weapons = ["srifle_EBR_F",50];

_weaponMagazines = [];

and how would i add a scope?

and how would i add a scope?

There is now way yet, because items are threated different then weapons and magazines. Thats the one reason I want to rewrite my loadout script :D

Not sure if something like that would be included since the goal for now is having direct port. Anyone is free to create modded version though. Also, there's really not enough content in A3 to randomize much, I think.

Norrin is back and he'll be porting the original revive script to A3 so we're waiting for that. Until then I think we'll stick with the current revive script.

The original escape revive script is a edited version of norrins revive script. I also think a "direct" port is neither realistic and even possible nor a good way to port this mission to A3 as there are many changes in the engine.

I can't force you to use my scripts. I can just offer them to you. My revive has the same functionality the original revive script has, minus the CTD error and the unused/unneccessary payload from norris revive.

Edited by NeoArmageddon

so the weapons? is it right the way i put it?

If nobody changed the way the ammodepots work: yes, your solution should work as intended.

If you wanted to I wouldn't stop you :P I'd probably include it as an option though (in my personal version I'd default it to on :D).

To be honest it bugs me too. Thankfully norrin has said he'll start updating his in a week or so but I'd be glad to put yours in if it's got the same functionality. In terms of changes from the original I've been looking at some of the new modules that BIS included. Some of them look like they could be quite handy (especially for roadblocks). I haven't had a chance to play with many of them yet but they look promising.

I also saw in the changelogs that you guys are struggling with keeping the Stratis-codebase up to the Altis one. THere is a simple solution: Remove the Script-folder from the stratis version and create a link to the altis-folder with a ntfs-link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

And even better: move this scriptfolder to dropbox and create a link to the dropbox folder. So you have a simple syncronisation between you guys without the need of an own SVN server or a github account.

Never thought of that, we already have repos set up though. Generally I just work in Altis, then merge it over into stratis. Most of the time I forget (because I decide sleep is less important). I've never done file linking like that before but I'll see about setting it up.

Edited by Vormulac

Hey Vormulac, I just played the Stratis version of this on my Dev build server and it was great fun. This is a classic mission so it definitely is a good choice to convert for Arma 3.

As you said in notes, there were numerous script errors coming up. Fortunately, it seems that most of these can be easily fixed.

Firstly, you need to declare the _group variable in \Scripts\DRM\SearchGroup\SearchGroup.sqf. Just move the quoted declaration from position 8 of the array (line 15), to position 0 (line 14). i.e. Lines 14 and 15:

private ["_group", "_searchAreaMarkerName", "_firstPos", "_debug"];

private ["_position", "_side", "_state", "_moveCompleted", "_moveToFirstPos", "_exitScript", "_soldiers", "_garbageGroup", "_enemyPos", "_firstUnit", "_enemyUnit"];

The first four private variables are called by their array position (0 to 3) and assigned to internal variables in lines 20-23. Now they will be in the correct order and this script should work, making enemy searching much more effective.

Secondly, in ServerInitialization.sqf the _useRoadBlocks variable is numeric and so it causes a boolean error in line 526. I just changed the line to:

if (_useRoadBlocks==1) then {

You can also remove the forced ==1 from line 18 and just have:

_useRoadBlocks = (paramsArray select 6);

I made these changes (and also just generally cleaned up the code as I read it, but I don't recall anything else important) and after a couple of test runs had no errors coming up and everything seemed to work.

I worked on the Stratis version as it was quicker to play-test.

Thanks Astro, although it's been a pain (this is my first sqf experience) it's been fun to work on.

Thanks for the tips, I've got the roadblock errors under control (except in one very specific case but because sqf doesn't seem to want to let me return a null object I'm still working on it).

When I get a chance I'll go through and add your changes. Thanks again :D

Very good mission for Altis. Had great fun with few guys last night on [DEV]TheUnxploitables server. You really feel like you've been hunted by the enemy. Suddenly there is AI's everywhere. Tank lights in the fog. Random civilians with their cars. Some epic moments there. :)

Very good mission for Altis. Had great fun with few guys last night on [DEV]TheUnxploitables server. You really feel like you've been hunted by the enemy. Suddenly there is AI's everywhere. Tank lights in the fog. Random civilians with their cars. Some epic moments there. :)

Thanks! Glad to hear people are enjoying it. I can't take credit for most of it, Engima did the leg work originally and Hyperz has been doing the balancing passes, and soon there'll be a few new/replaced systems from NeoArmageddon. I've mostly just been trying to make it not fall apart through the transition from A2 to A3 (probably shouldn't have chosen this as my first attempt at scripting in arma lol).

This is from the steam pages but just in case someone doesn't look there.

Quick Update for those that don't want to read through the change log: (will update the description soon)

-Heli extraction works (sometimes they land too close together).

-Option for patrol numbers in towns (this has a large impact on performance I find, especially near Kavala).

-Most of the scripting errors are fixed.

-The AI gives a much more playable experience.

-Reinforcement trucks are working again.

-Search groups should now actively hunt the players.

-Traffic should be more common around the player.

There's still more to come:

-Enemy loadout randomisation. Thanks to NeoArmageddon.

-New revive system. Thanks again to NeoArmageddon.

-More surprises!

-stuff I can't remember right now.

Thanks for the support, critiques, and suggestions. We're definitely not done yet.

Also, for anyone that's curious about why this feels different than from the original in terms of population I've found made a few observations that could be helpful to other mission makers:

1) The traffic counts are identical to the Chernarus version, but earlier during development of this mission (and probably currently) they felt much lower. Part of this is related to the street network itself, part of it is related to the way the AI behaves, but a good portion of it has to do with the system Engima created for traffic and how that works on different maps. Chernarus is essentially a box, his traffic markers (one at each corner) all the AIs driving around to have a clear line of sight (imagine water is the only obstacle) from anywhere to anywhere. On Altis this isn't the case, so when traffic chooses a location to go to based on these markers they will tend to skip or ignore portions of the map. For instance, if you ware SW of the main airfield, and the bot wants to go to the SE corner of Altis, depending on where it spawned around you it will drive away from you and you'll never see it. To combat this I added more traffic markers in better locations so that the players are always in the polygon created by the markers (and so there is as little water inside the poly as possible).

2) In regards to the ambient patrols (away from towns) they suffer from some of the same problems that the traffic does. I used a similiar fix and it seems more populated now.

3) Fog, I have no idea if fog affected the AI in A2 but from what I've seen in tests it REALLY feels like it does now. In thick fog our group almost never runs into anyone unless we're right on top of them but in lighter fog we're never alone.

In any event, the mission feels quite playable now (still needs work though) and have had a blast during the last few tests I ran tonight. We ended getting caught in one of those tall military towers (decided to check it out, hadn't really looked at one too closely before) when we were spotted by the search helicopter. Figured we should fight them from above when a reinforcement truck rolled up and let out 16 or so guys pinning us in there just long enough for an APC to show up. To top it all off a paradrop unit showed up and that's when we finally wiped during our mad dash to get away.

But like I said above, we're not done yet.

Edited by Vormulac

v1.4 up.

I'm also trying to get a dedicated server for each map running on our box but I'm having issues getting connections to not fail when there's more than one running at a time. I've tried different ports, different ips, everything I could think of. When I figure it out they'll be up and I'll make public channels for each in our teamspeak.

Edited by Vormulac

@Vormulac

First I'd like to say great job on porting this mission Altis. Like I said in my comment on Armaholic I know how much of a pain in the ass it must of been.

Thank you and also Hyperz for doing all the legwork. I have edited the mission more specifically the AI behavior since the default BI AI are and have always been an area that has needed attention.

They are an improvement from A2 i'll give BI that but I guess they figured that the community can do a much better job at it so why spend the money. I don't blame them its a good business strategy.

Quality work for free. I was rather pleased after going over the code to find that I really didn't need to do a whole lot like I was expecting. After testing the mission for the first time on my server last weekend and

having Hyperz join shortly after it appears he I think alike on what improvements I thought were needed and he made them thus saving me time to focus on the AI. I can not thank you guys enough.

This has to be least amount of work editing I've had to do to make a mission playable. It takes a lot of work to get one running smoothly and most don't understand the time it takes getting to that point.

Cheers to a great mission and to the AI solder who just flanked you and shot you in the back of the head. lol!

As for your server issue I believe since the full release you need separate CD keys. That is for a dedicated server. I think you can still run multiples of the same copy on a dedicated host.

Again Thank you and keep up the great work.

xx-LSD-xx

Many thanks for the kind words LSD. It's been tough, especially seeing as this is my first time with doing any mission editing with Arma. Let's just say there's a bit of a learning curve. ;)

If you find good settings for the AI please pass them along. With 1.4 I find that myself and one other person can generally escape the camp but eventually get ambushed along the way (usually with someone saying "Once again, Vorm proves we're bad at Arma"). It's great fun but just once I'd love to see those choppers outside of tests to make sure they work. I'm still unsure of what affects the AI as it seems different when I play locally vs when I play on my server vs what Hyperz has said about playing on other servers. It could be a placebo but I swear my server wants to make us suffer and makes the AI as ridiculous as possible no matter what the settings are at. Same mission settings, different play experiences. If you have any insights there (server configs? I use TADST and set the AI to 0.00 (I assumed it was valid...)) I'd love to hear them.

Everyone involved wants this to be the best mission it can be and given the original and the A2 ports it has some pretty big shoes to fill.

Thanks again.

:blush:

By the way, when you say AI behavior do you mean the fact that they were 'dumb' while being laser accurate en being able to spot you from 1km+ away? Because when we played I think that was before we fixed/rebalanced the AI: https://github.com/Vormulac/co08_Escape.Altis/commit/a0f0f9ee22d9443a72cc73a83da97656d9e4e554

It's been tweaked a bit further since and IMHO they perform much closer to the original mission now.

1.5 is up:

Traffic speed "Safe". Paradrop groups hunt players. Optimization pass. Solar panel model replaced. Roadblock bugs fixed. Heal at comm centre medevac. Static weapons replaced w/taller versions. Traffic has better destinations. More depot inventory.

Edit: I just ran through the original mission with some friends and noticed some possibly interesting facts. The A2 server FPS was lower by roughly half and the AI is possibly scarier than the A3 version.

Edited by Vormulac

Hi guys, any tips on incorprating Massi's Weapons pack into this mission?

I was looking at the file \Scripts\Escape\UnitClasses.sqf since it has a lot of that kind of setup.

Thanks.