Sign in to follow this  
spectrersg

PhysX LOD Causing Crashing

Hi all,

I was told (and read) that in order for a vehicle to use the shipx or carx simulation, the model needs an PhysX LOD. As per this link, I created a new <resolution> LOD and named it 4e13. O2 subsequently added another generic 'Geometry' name, which is fine as it was noted in the wiki. I then copy/paste my vehicle's original non-PhysX's Geometry LOD into the new PhysX Geometry LOD and assign it a Mass of 0.

I pack it up, drop it in my folder, load the game, get in the editor and then place myself down as a soldier unit and then the boat model I am working on as empty. When I hit preview it loads half way and then ArmA3.exe stops working.

When I remove the PhysX LOD, repack, and do all the above steps again, the game doesnt crash but the boat sinks instantly to the bottom of the ocean (presumably due to no PhysX LOD).

What am I doing wrong with the PhysX LOD to cause the game to crash?

Bonus: I have 6 points that are not closed on my model, O2 wont close them through Topology itself, and I can't delete them because they're a major joint to my boat model's hull. Any ideas on how to close those 6 points off so I can get my shadowLOD to work properly?

Edit #1) The LOD has 54 faces. Is having that amount (that small amount) possibly the issue? Is there a minimum amount of faces?

Edited by SpectreRSG
Altered title

the advice is bollocks mate try unbinarised version with the advice , can work

got to wait for new tools , hopefully soon , i`m sure BIS not let us down , i think a massive surprise comes so the grapevine is murmering .

I'm sorry, that didnt make any sense. The model I'm using is unbinarized. Could you clarify a bit?

yeah

if you add the extra lod and then binarise the game will crash

if you add the extralod and dont binarise the Physx will work but your weight distribution will need tweaking and tweaking and a bit more tweaking

I added the 4e13 LOD, made the simulation shipx and packaged it unbinarized. After a long load time, i didnt crash, however, the boat sinks instantly to the bottom of the ocean. Any ideas now?

Ive read through that and I'm still having issues. Should my 4e13 LOD have mass to it? It's literally a 54 face box on the hull of my ship with a 0 mass. Whereas my usual geometry has a mass of 48,000.

Also should I have to 'balance' out the mass with anything in the config?

When you open your model, does it list 2 "Geometry" LODs ?

It should no longer say "4e13"

No mass. Mine is a very simply copy of the main GEO LOD

For a working example open the LCS model made available by mankyle

I've done that Gnat. Does my original GEO have to be within a certain mass? It's currently at 48000. Is there something I have to adjust in the config to prevent this thing from sinking?

Edit: I've been looking at the swedish forces ship and the LCS ship. I still dont see why my model is sinking. I have all pertainate physx config info in my config.cpp and I made the GEO PHYX LOD.

Here's a photo of the GEO PHYX LOD: Imgur Link

Here's a photo of the GEO LOD: Imgur Link

Here's also a video of whats happening in game: TwitchTV Link

Below is all relevant config info, I don't believe I'm missing anything, but if I am, can someone point it out? I've gone through it numerous times... Also, would I have to change any value here due to the mass being 48000?

simulation = "shipx";
	waterEffectSpeed = 5;
	engineEffectSpeed = 5;
	waterFastEffectSpeed = 18;
	steerAheadSimul = 0.5;
	steerAheadPlan = 2.4;
	predictTurnPlan = 3.0;
	predictTurnSimul = 3.0;
	brakeDistance = 50.0;
	acceleration = 15;
	turnCoef = 5;
	thrustDelay = 0.1;
	AntiRollbarForceCoef = 1;
	AntiRollbarForceLimit = 40;
	AntiRollbarSpeedMin = 2;
	AntiRollbarSpeedMax = 100;
	maxSpeed = 180;
	slowSpeedForwardCoef = 0.1;
	normalSpeedForwardCoef = .60;
	fastSpeedForwardCoef = 1;
	overSpeedBrakeCoef = 0.1;
	engineShiftY = -0.11;
	canfloat= 1;
	waterLeakiness = 55.5;
	waterLinearDampingCoefY = 8.0;
	waterLinearDampingCoefX = 2.0;
	waterAngularDampingCoef = 8.0
	waterResistanceCoef = 3.0;
	rudderForceCoef = 12;
	rudderForceCoefAtMaxSpeed = 15;
	idleRpm = 200;
	redRpm = 3900;
	enginePower = 4570;
	maxomega = 4570;
	peakTorque = 4000;
	torqueCurve[] = {{0.0, 0.8}, {0.33, 1.0}, {1.0, 0.8}};

Edited by SpectreRSG
Added imgur/twitch links and config portion

Took you advise Gnat and made it simpler. It doesnt sink anymore. But it hovers....

http://www.twitch.tv/dariusfvg/b/465408906

Any ideas?

Could this be because of the lack of mass in the phyX lod? I've been told and have read that it should have a mass of 0.

Edit: scratch the above. It was because the PhyX lod didn't have a component. The ship is still instantly sinking, with a simpler LOD.

I still have canfloat = 1 and waterleakiness set to 55.5 like the default speedboat from BIS. I have no clue what is causing it to sink like this.

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

Been playing with it and decided to test with allowing damage set to false via editor.

...this was the result. I dont even...

Edited by SpectreRSG
Added edit

Edit: I realized now what you're talking about. :P

However, the boat just wants to sit on the top high on the ways, and the engine wont move the boat (presumable because of how high it is on the waves).

Do anyone know what is now causing it to sit so high with autocenter removed and a mass of 50000

Here is the screenshot of what its doing (the ship seems to have the physics working, but just riding so high on the top of the waves).

Here's another viewpoint.

Edited by SpectreRSG

where have you got your land contact lod? if its on the bottom of the boat it would probably cause it to do this.

I've answered this in a couple places fairly recently (can't seem to find it though..). You do not need landcontact points or LOD for a ShipX based vehicle. It is most likely the enigineEffect points that you are missing. They need to be named in O2 (mem lod) and defined in the config. These points are very important. Will determine to some degree how the boat sits in the water, handles the effects for the props, and additionally defines where the thrust is applied to the model. Should sort things for you. If you already have them, move them lower.

If for some reason you find yourself sitting higher in the water than you'd like and that is all correct. Simply increase the mass on the GEO LOD. It's basically competing with an automagically calculated mass from the PhysxBouy LOD. You need enough mass to overcome the displacement of that LOD.

Edited by Hatchet_AS

Sometime Land contact points act as a water contact if you add a GEO box with a certain height, Look in the pics below:

DwxEIFK.png

7aXKP6V.png

Note: The mass points in the 2nd pic is just for reference it's not the actual weight.

When I try to add the "carx" simulation I get a missing '.Scudmodel' and i have no idea what it means

you propably didnt inherit correctly from car_f