Sign in to follow this  
NeuroFunker

ArmA III is a good game!

As title says, this thread is for everone, who actually enjoys arma 3.

Since the arma 3 haters, have a ton of threads, to release their :mad: anger, i think we do need a place, where people who do actually enjoy arma 3, could share their feelings as well.:o

Is that to much asked for forums moderators, to keep this thread clean from the "disspointed arma fans", just in case? :cool:

Things what i like in arma 3 most: Enhanced graphics. I've noticed, i'm always ending up, holding up for a sec or to, because of beautiful landscapes, taking screenshots, forgeting that i'm actually in the middle of a battle, so the negative side of this is, you most likely ending up with a bullet in your head :)

Enhanced sound. Not a secret, arma 2 had quite weak but mabye a realistic sound, so for some or most of players, playing arma 2 without JSRS, ACE_SM or some other sound mods out there, wasn't really enjoyable. Not the case in arma 3. I do really like the job BIS made, improving sounds.

New Physics. I was sceptical, about PhysX, since some of the games i've played, i had performance problems, because of physx. Luckely, after lots of optimizations, thats not the case in arma 3 (at least for me). Driving vehicles, now actually feels like driving a vehicle. Also ragdolling bodies, tossed away from explosions, is really nice addition.

Underwater. Personally, i could live without underwater at all, but when for the first time in arma 3 alpha, i did dive underwater, i was like: fuck me, i do love it! This bringss arma 3 gameplay to a new level! Just swiming around, exploring the ship wrecks and caves, i couldn't imagine this before in a arma game.

One of most important things for me: enhanced infantery movement/combat. In arma 2 for me personally, the controls and infantery combat, escpecially at closer ares like cities/buildings, felt quite clunky, and uncomfortably. Arma 3, in this aspect, feels nearly like a different/better game, then arma 2 used to be. Ofcourse it's not perfect, like there are no perfect things at all. But thank you BIS a lot, for reworking and enhacing this! The new stances system is simply lovely. I do love, being able to raise yourself up in small steps, so your body is not geting complety exposed to enemy fire, possibility to be on one's beam-ends, and quickly pop up in unexpected position for the enemy. Simply a big step over arma 2 (again for me personally)

New huge map - Altis. Really a masterwork! 272km² of beauty! Very life a like, realistic. Not in every game, you can kill a day or days, just by exploring the island, diving/driving/flying/walking around, without limits! Isn't that most of us do always want?;)

Now i come to a point, where maybe lots might dissagree - optimization. For my system: intel core i5 2500k @4,4; 12gb ram; Geforce 670GTX 2gb, 128gb Samsung 830 SSD win 7x64, and this runs quite smooth, on ultra (stable 30 avg fps) ! I can't even max out arma 2, without having unplayble framerates! And arma 3 got more complex architecture in everything, which could make it unplayble nearly for everyone. Physx, graphics, huge and detailed island + new underwater demension etc. etc. And yet, it can be played smooth, looks good, feels good :)

Also another point, where were lot's of "battles" - steam workshop. I can't say, i was sure about workshop, when it was anounced for arma 3. I did never use it, even i'm long time steam user with lots of steam games. Being on a server with friends, pressing shitft+tab, cliicking on arma 3 workshop, quickly finding and installing a mission, without restarting the game, recreating the server, this is really a nice feature!

I might lost a point or few, what i do like about arma 3, but overall, this is a really good game for me - yes this a new arma dammit!

Thanks a lot BIS, for continuing impressing us, with your games. Games, with nearly endless possibilities, which can hook you up for years of gaming!:yay:

^^^ Most of what he said. If I had one word to discribe Arma 3 it would be 'BEAST'!

Big plus-es (that a word?) are 1) gear system with different headgear, vests, uniforms, glasses, backpacks, 2) moddability as per the previous games with hiddenSelections on most items, 3) animations, 4) Altis which isn't completely covered in thick forests (easier on the CPU), 5) back story which is intriguing to me, 6) UI (still needs improvement though), 7) sounds, 8) lighting, 9) MUSIC. I've not really been a fan of the previous soundtracks as they've sounded kinda early 2000s for me, so still coming out of the 90s (reminded me of soundtracks like Delta Force or Ghost Recon. While iconic, not symphonic enough for my tastes), 10) Hate me, but the near-future setting. Always been intrigued by the balance between modern day and future. I don't want sci fi, but modern stuff gets kinda old, so near-future is a happy medium for me, where you basically have modern stuff with a little bit of a design change + remote-controlled vehicles essentially.

For me, I just can't go back to Arma 2.

thanks someone for reporting me btw. Maybe mods will keep an eye on this thread earlier, to keep it clean. ;)

It is a pretty good game overall I think, agreeing with the likes of

-New movement system and stances

-New physics

-New gear system (which I like a lot more than the old one)

-New Island Altis, which, not only is it huge, but also very detailed and quite fun to fight over, especially with the 2 big towns on the map.

-The new effects.

-Performance has increased and I can run the 'high' settings with 5k view distance and still get around 40fps in insurgency.

-That they are working on some extra content for free.

-Did various sessions which showed you some simple mission making and did release the alpha/beta to help with testing.

-I actually like the new setting, makes a change from Ak's and M4's (although I don't like the C&P job with some of the stuff)

It does have some flaws though (gonna be fair on this one):

-Physx crashes quite regularly, and bis haven't really said much about it.

-They seemed to have spent an awful amount of time on Altis, to the detriment of all other content (C/P jobs)

-Not making ships decks walkable and allowing vehicles to be transported around as well as making use of other physx features such as fastropes, slingropes etc(hopefully they are exposed though to the modder from the sdk).

-Age old under-utilisation and server problems as far as performance is concerned.

-Lack of TOH FM (Although I understand the 10fps hit is not worth it for 99% of people, especially as a fair amount of the TOH community played recruit anyway and still cried to have the expert mode dumbed down so they could play on K&M).

Overall I still think its £20 well spent, much better spent then say with Rome 2, which I haven't really played since I bought it, whereas I have already clocked up 125hours, despite the physx crashes (which really seem to happen on full servers and I&A). Having lots of fun playing with my clanmates on insurgency using all the different equipment.

Big plus-es (that a word?) are 1) gear system with different headgear, vests, uniforms, glasses, backpacks, 2) moddability as per the previous games with hiddenSelections on most items, 3) animations, 4) Altis which isn't completely covered in thick forests (easier on the CPU), 5) back story which is intriguing to me, 6) UI (still needs improvement though), 7) sounds, 8) lighting, 9) MUSIC. I've not really been a fan of the previous soundtracks as they've sounded kinda early 2000s for me, so still coming out of the 90s (reminded me of soundtracks like Delta Force or Ghost Recon. While iconic, not symphonic enough for my tastes), 10) Hate me, but the near-future setting. Always been intrigued by the balance between modern day and future. I don't want sci fi, but modern stuff gets kinda old, so near-future is a happy medium for me, where you basically have modern stuff with a little bit of a design change + remote-controlled vehicles essentially.

For me, I just can't go back to Arma 2.

hey. lol absolutely forgot to mention the new gear customization system, which is indeed awesome. This can also make you hook up for hours, just by creating your custom soldier, or soldiers, for different pourposes, like sniper, or recon specialst etc, being able to switch optics on the "fly". For example team nearing a town, you switch to holo/aco, for better close range combat. After clearing the city, the next obj is outside the city, you can switch back to long range optics/thermal vision etc

Also fully agree on soundtrack. I didn't like the soundtracks after operation flashpoint at all. Seventh? Or what was the name of the band, made awesome tracks, fitting for ofp perfectly. Now in arma 3 we got remixed OFP theme, and lots of other cool tunes, which sound good, enhacing the mood of the mission, can be listened outside the game pretty well.

Also the near future setting, didn't frustrate me at all. BIS made a nice job there, to make it look quite believeable. Maybe only Irans equip, looks just slithly sci-fish, but ive got used to them actually.

Can't wait to try campaign as well, i must say, the previous games campaigns, after ofp, didn't made me want to complete them, unlike in ofp. From latest campaigns, i liked the PMC most for a reson. It was different, and athmospheric, that AS50 vs T-55 mission in swamps, did impress me a lot. Looking forward for arma 3 campaign, and hoping, this will be really interresting to play!

Dan;2515769']It is a pretty good game overall I think' date=' agreeing with the likes of

-New movement system and stances

-New physics

-New gear system (which I like a lot more than the old one)

-New Island Altis, which, not only is it huge, but also very detailed and quite fun to fight over, especially with the 2 big towns on the map.

-The new effects.

-Performance has increased and I can run the 'high' settings with 5k view distance and still get around 40fps in insurgency.

-That they are working on some extra content for free.

-Did various sessions which showed you some simple mission making and did release the alpha/beta to help with testing.

-I actually like the new setting, makes a change from Ak's and M4's (although I don't like the C&P job with some of the stuff)

It does have some flaws though (gonna be fair on this one):

-Physx crashes quite regularly, and bis haven't really said much about it.

-They seemed to have spent an awful amount of time on Altis, to the detriment of all other content (C/P jobs)

-Not making ships decks walkable and allowing vehicles to be transported around as well as making use of other physx features such as fastropes, slingropes etc(hopefully they are exposed though to the modder from the sdk).

-Age old under-utilisation and server problems as far as performance is concerned.

-Lack of TOH FM (Although I understand the 10fps hit is not worth it for 99% of people, especially as a fair amount of the TOH community played recruit anyway and still cried to have the expert mode dumbed down so they could play on K&M).

Overall I still think its £20 well spent, much better spent then say with Rome 2, which I haven't really played since I bought it, whereas I have already clocked up 125hours, despite the physx crashes (which really seem to happen on full servers and I&A). Having lots of fun playing with my clanmates on insurgency using all the different equipment.[/quote']

Well, Altis is 2 years old at this point, so they've had plenty of time to work on Altis. Let's keep this thread to mentioning the positive things about Arma 3 though...

@Neurofunker: I reported it, as I think it could be a bit more official ("Arma 3 Appreciation Thread" or something like that). I've been told that I can use the report thread to request thread title changes. How would that sound to you?

@antoineflemming i'm fine with current thread name, but if you think, that name is better, why not?

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Well, Altis is 2 years old at this point, so they've had plenty of time to work on Altis. Let's keep this thread to mentioning the positive things about Arma 3 though...

yeah i agree, let us concentrate our discussion on the positive stuff from arma 3. :)

+1. I fucking love this game. The more I play the better it gets.

Also, people who say this game is badly optimised:

1. You can't measure your performance in MP. Every server is different and gives you different framerates based on its bandwidth and the code optimization. I see shitloads of bad servers with missions ported straight from the old, outdated Arma 2. Yes, badly coded missions give you bad framerates. If you're gonna do a benchmark, do it in single player.

2. the game is getting faster and faster. The devs are working hard to bring optimisation in the dev branch. First time I loaded Altis in the beta dev branch: 0 FPS with max draw distance and all settings on high, not gonna lie. Release dev branch: 40 FPS with max draw distance and almost everything on ultra. I can push to 60 FPS sometimes if I put it to 5000, which is also very good. I always keep my PC in tip-top shape. Update your drivers, (ALL DRIVERS), defragment non-SSD drives and tweak all the settings. My rig just in case: i7 2600, 550 Ti, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

Btw, what an idiot the one that reported this thread just because you like the game. Pathetic.

+1. I fucking love this game. The more I play the better it gets.

Also, people who say this game is badly optimised:

1. You can't measure your performance in MP. Every server is different and gives you different framerates based on its bandwidth and the code optimization. I see shitloads of bad servers with missions ported straight from the old, outdated Arma 2. Yes, badly coded missions give you bad framerates. If you're gonna do a benchmark, do it in single player.

2. the game is getting faster and faster. The devs are working hard to bring optimisation in the dev branch. First time I loaded Altis in the beta dev branch: 0 FPS with max draw distance and all settings on high, not gonna lie. Release dev branch: 40 FPS with max draw distance and almost everything on ultra. I can push to 60 FPS sometimes if I put it to 5000, which is also very good. I always keep my PC in tip-top shape. Update your drivers, (ALL DRIVERS), defragment non-SSD drives and tweak all the settings. My rig just in case: i7 2600, 550 Ti, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

Btw, what an idiot the one that reported this thread just because you like the game. Pathetic.

yep, agree about MP, today a buddy with quite low end rig, played release version for first time, he said beta was for him unplayeble, now he gets 20 fps on low settings, and on a 40 man server, he said he had 8 fps. So yes, check the performance in singleplayer, and take some time to find a good optimized server and mission!

Btw don't worry about report, that was antoineflemming as he said, he wanted to rename therad to another name.

The new instances is just... Amazing, I have to be honest, free look is so simple, now I can't play other fps game without think why my head is stuck! =D, ano now with new positions, how can anyone play another fps right now?

... for me, arma 3 is UNIQUE. At first, very flexible, a heaven for creativity, very nice visual and audio and last but not least, still a bit of potential left for optimizations ...

To me it's awesome how movement has improved and smoothed in this Arma ( I can't even play A2, because of how clunky it feels now ). It makes the CQB really attractive.

Besides obviously that the huge array of new of possibilities that the "realistic" sea can bring. I'm really looking forward for what the new free DLCs, future payed DLC and community work can bring in that direction.

IMHO Arma 3 is a huge diamond in the rough, that needs to be polished and cut properly to make it shine.

IMHO Arma 3 is a huge diamond in the rough, that needs to be polished and cut properly to make it shine.

that one is worth, to be put into signature, if you don't mind :)

I hope you mean that BIS makes the polishing, not the moders.

well, usualy it happens with devs and moders alltogether. BIS offers them a platform, and them making us awesome mods.

Well to me should be a joint effort between community and BI ( and by community I mean not only the modders, but also players who give feedback, make suggestions, etc. ).

But yeah I agree that BI should do the main bulk of the work. But generally are the players/modders who surprise me the most.

@NeuroFunker

So what do you think BIS is supposed to fix, or should be obliged to fix, rather than let the moders fix it? Except MP framerate and general optimization.

Edited by sektor
@

@NeuroFunker

So what do you think BIS is supposed to fix, or should be obliged to fix, rather than let the moders fix it? Except MP framerate and general optimization.

sorry, this thread is not about bug fixing, optimization. As i said in my first post, here i wish people who actually enjoy the game, would share their positive thoughts/experience.

sorry, this thread is not about bug fixing, optimization. As i said in my first post, here i wish people who actually enjoy the game, would share their positive thoughts/experience.

You want a huge circlejerk about how awesome and flawless the game is? No critics allowed?

You are a joke.