Sign in to follow this  
Demagor

M-60 with a bipod?

Just yesterday I was trying a few missions, and decided to equip myself with the M-60, for the sake of trying something new (I usually go with the M-21 or the M16/M203 combo). I ran around the mission with him, took some cheap-shots at some enemy troops, and overall played him out.

What I found to be unusual was when I went prone with him. I know I'm probably SERIOUSLY behind in that everyone ELSE in the world may have already noticed, but... the bipod in the M-60 doesn't fold out. Now, I don't know if this wasn't made so because of restrictions in the game, or because BIS chose to eat jelly doughnuts instead of work on the programming.

The point is, running around with a heavy chunk of metal like the M-60, that clearly shows the bipod just "hanging around", then hitting the deck, only to keep the bipod up, just... doesn't seem right. It's like I'm breaking some cardinal military law.

Anyone else with me on this, or has this topic been discussed to death well before I thought about posting?

I think it's because the game engine won't allow any animations on weapon models. I could be wrong.

The weapon models are indeed not animated.

What could be done though is have the bipod out all the time. Though it would not offer extra support.

jap... same thing about reloading.... ingame, you dont change the magazine ... its only a animation of your hand

I was really hoping for a fully functional bipod that you can initiate it's setup. Perhaps from the Action menu?

Even if it doesn't "technically" improve aim, stability, or anything of that nature, it would really give it a much more realistic look.

I dunno, perhaps I'm being picky.

Next thing I'll ask for, is a stick-shift Willys Jeep!

Hmmm....

Believe me...I am friggin´ around while trying to make a bipod for a lotta time now and there just doenst seems to be a way to do it by pbo

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what about the mm1 and 6g-30 thing the drums rotate on them, same with kegs revolver pack. or am i jabbering on about something else? <span id='postcolor'>

hmm... yes thats right... strange..could anyone of our pros explane it plz

i think this is a completly different thing but the minigun at the mg-version of the gyrocopter that was released some time ago rotates too.... i ask myself why bis didnt animate the m61 of the vulcan if its possible to animate a objects on vehicles...or the radar on G8-mods E-2

Well I think them acctually reloading the gun would really add some polish to the game, with spent magazines on the floor.

GOOD POINT!

biggrin.gif

Well, I see bullet casings flying out... where do THEY land?

confused.gif

Perhaps in that same mythical pocket-universe where all the empty magazines go...

... either that, or perhaps there's some courageous, noble citizen, and community patriot that secretly follows the player around with a pooper-scooper.  Or would it be a clip-scooper? ...or a casing-scooper... or...

wow.gif

To answer all this stuff =)

There are rotating animations for weapons, yes.

But that's only applicable for minigun type weapons and MM-1 type weapons.

The new .30 cal on the Cobra in OFP:R does rotate.

This is a feature added in OFP:R, and I have yet to play with the M-163 from OFP:R, so I don't know if that rotates or not.

Anyway, other than rotating animations like that, we can't make our own animations for the game. (That's actually how the openable doors work, with rotating animations)

i didnt tried out cobra yet but im sure the gun of the vulcan doesnt rotate...

could this rotation animation be used for an awacs.... to enable the rotation of the radar maybe with the action menu?

The Vulcan is highly unrealistic as it is.  Not only does it not fire the real amount of bullets (per minute) as it should, but it doesn't even spool up.

In real life it takes time for it to spool up and after firing a burst spool down.  It sort of sounds like a crackling siren.  

The gun could never continue uninterrupted firing for more than a couple of seconds as the barrel would heat up too much causing jams.  

Here is a soundclip of the Vulcan anti aircraft system firing two bursts: 238KB WAV http://www.materialized.com/misc/vulcan.wav

Fire control is also computerized with radar, whereas in Flashpoint it is not.  Being a gunner in the Vulcan is about as effective as firing the M60.   The least they could have done is have some sort of aim spot appear when using the optics view of the Vulcan as a gunner to help you shoot aircraft 2,000 meters away.  In real life this weapon would have no problem shooting down a Hind, but in Flashpoint you'll find yourself wasting the entire ammo load and still hit only blanks.

I do wish BIS spent at least 1 more day on these little details, they would have made this game so much better.

the gun on the cobra is a M197 20mm gun smile.gif basically a vulcan with three barrels removed and shortened

I've got an movie from 41,4mb named ofpingame... its an early movie but there the m60 has its bipod folded outwards..

I wonder why they changed it

//EDIT. Does anyone know where you can download this movie file?? i really dont know where i got it from.. its name is ofpingame.avi and its 12.27min long and 41.4mb large.. and it isnt an real trailer with music and stuff its just an simple movie with people running around

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Demagor @ Aug. 22 2002,19:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">GOOD POINT!

biggrin.gif

Well, I see bullet casings flying out... where do THEY land?

confused.gif

Perhaps in that same mythical pocket-universe where all the empty magazines go...

... either that, or perhaps there's some courageous, noble citizen, and community patriot that secretly follows the player around with a pooper-scooper.  Or would it be a clip-scooper? ...or a casing-scooper... or...

wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with the bullet casings, but you guys do realize that throwing mags on the ground after use is a movie thing right? I mean these things arent cheap and you need them to load the lose rounds (rounds don't come already in mags) afterwards. When a soldier uses a magazine he replaces it into his magazine pouch, he dosent discard it, unless it is absolutely nessisary ( like your AO is being overrun by 1000 guys and you have to kill as many as you can).

When people start making caseless weapons (G11 etc.) I guess we will still be seing brass flying out the side...or is something that can be overridden?

the casings direction and startpoint (also velocity) is defined in the memory, im not sure if removing them will stop the casings coming, but if not you can just move the memory points so its 30m behind the player...