Sign in to follow this  
pipin78

Tank destruction effects: some suggestions.

As most may have noticed, vehicle destruction effects in Arma 3 are (as in most games) pretty basic.. the texture turns black an the model is replaced with a generic destroyed one.

The tanks to me are especially bad: they are a step back even from Arma 2. In Arma 2 the tanks used to keep their turret when destroyed with the orientation they where killed in.. giving at lest a little variation to the battlefield..

Now we go from this:

2eb4zrq.jpg

To this:

v7tlk.jpg

As stated in the image, turret and part of the tracks just disappears, big flame is pasted on the model, and the texture turns to a generic "burned out" one.

The T-100 model even sinks in the ground (to simulate depressed suspensions?!?):

21nk6fm.jpg

My suggestion is to take some inspiration from other games..

For example, in Iron Front (based on Arma 2 engine!!) a destroyed tank look like this:

14y8v4j.jpg

Notice that the flames and smoke come only from the hatches and no big black texture but localized burns only. BI, the big black textures HAVE TO GO! we're not in '90 anymore!!

At the very lest keep the turret on (it's unrealistic for it to fly away in those type of tanks), depress the suspensions, and move the "big flame" to the top as in Red Orechestra 2:

14lt5c1.jpg

Last little thing: the "new sabot hit" effect sparks are still invisible at night! BI, test your effects in basic conditions before introducing!! It's a very simple fix..

Wow, the IF one looks really good.

It IS very good. I always hoped BI could follow the same way in one of their installement.

It IS very good. I always hoped BI could follow the same way in one of their installement.

Yes it's very good. Depending on where you hit the turret can also be blown in the air. BI made a mistake not supporting the IF guys more..

With some of the current effects, features and the amount of content I believe that the game is merely labeled as "released" while it's actually still in some kind of beta stage.

Yes it's very good. Depending on where you hit the turret can also be blown in the air. BI made a mistake not supporting the IF guys more..

Agreed, IF had a lot of potential. Anyway I hope they will improve the A3 armored impact/damage system.

Iron Front could've been much more without any publisher that only makes things worse (Deep Silver) and discontinues support of a game if it's not "too profitable". Even as a Steam exclusive, IF2 would be great for WW2 and war lovers alike.

Id rather have some decent tanks first, and our only hope is the community for better tanks.

I'm hoping BI would fix the ones we already have adding missing weapons and loadouts.. creating new damage/destruction effects and correcting the bugs in models and physics.

Even if the types of tank BI choose to include to me make no sense for the given factions, they can become much better..

I know you are working on a great effects mod but I would like some improvements in vanilla too for the servers that don't allow mods..

Edited by Pipin78