Sign in to follow this  
GShock

GPS on Map

Playing Elite difficulty and I'm going crazy after this.

Theoretically Right CTL + M should bring up the GPS which I need so I know where I am on the map but it doesn't seem to work at all because it just brings on the map which, at this level, has no aids so I have no idea where I am... though I can roughly zoom on my position with the button on the top bar center.

Is there a mod or something that may REALISTICALLY help me with this problem? Soldiers are supposed to know where they are on a map using GPS... regardless the difficulty level which, in real life, doesn't exist. :)

Also, I have noticed in ArmA III the AI has vastly improved and it's truly lethal even at Normal skill mode. However, my AI team mates get killed too easy (I am at the showcase missions guys, just got the game yesterday) and I was wondering if there's a way to spot enemy for them to increase their awareness and survival expectations.

They do help a lot by pointing out enemies to me so I figured I could do the same and they SHOULD react better but I don't know how to. IIRC in ArmA it was the TAB key but I tried and didn't work. Then I also tried keeping pressed the middle mouse button but on this mouse it's half-broken. Is there a way because if so I will configure some other key (which one would you recommend?) ?

Thanks. :)

Hi mate,

Not trolling you but have you got a GPS in your inventory? You need that to be able to use Ctrl + M to bring up the GPS in the bottom right corner. If you have a GPS check your key mapping. Regarding difficulty, you can still stay on Elite difficulty but lower the skill of the enemy AI.

Thanks Dale, I checked I have no GPS (which is absurd but after all these are the stock missions).

A mod that tells you at least the SCALE of distances on the map would be enough to navigate using landmarks but that is also missing.

I can't find the exfiltrate point of the Vehicles showcase mission... actually I think it's a miracle if you can find anything with this default system.

Do you know where it is? I found a guy, a civilian with a car... I thought that was it but I took the car and went off the mission was not complete... what about the other question, marking enemy for the AI to take cover?

Regarding not having a GPS, that depends on the role you have within the mission.

And distance wise; if you zoom in on the map all the way, the grid squares you see are 100 metres by 100 metres, gauge the distance using them, pretty easy to do.

Don't know about the showcase mission you are alluding to, haven't done it in a long time.

As soon as you see the enemy AI, if they have not been reported already you should do this automatically and you should also hear yourself doing this. Remember on Elite difficulty you will not see the enemy on the map. If you want to see enemy on the map then once again change the settings under difficulty. You can also tell squadmates which enemy to shoot at if you are in charge of course.

It's just that I see my AI companions die silly. I see the enemy but I don't always report them... it seems to do that on automatic or if it doesn't do it automatically it's gotta be me but I don't know how it happens. Good call on the 100m squares. I might find the spot finally.

If you're having issues with the numerous commands to keep your AI squad alive, there's a couple things you can try.

Practice and learning the options, along with where they are to quickly navigate and give commands. Nothing beats practicing by sitting back and sending your squad(s) to fight for you.

If that doesn't sound like much fun, you can always try voice control via a third party app.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150814-Voice-Activation-for-Arma-3-via-VAC-Builder-Profile-and-other-software

Thank you guys,

you know... I'm having the typical issues of a simulated environment without auxiliary visuals (still at the showcase, I just noticed there's no single player campaign).

I can keep track and stay with the AI and fight but they are slow at reacting when they hear close shooting (I am NOT the leader in these showcase missions). That's something the mods could take care of. If I am shooting it means I've seen an enemy. The AI doesn't seem to care, they keep advancing according to their scheme as if I wasn't shooting.

The enemy AI at expert skill (0.85) is lethal. It can miss you a couple of times if you do the right moves but you have something like 3 seconds to take cover before you're killed. I wish for my own AI team mates to act the same... they can't wander in open field like that, especially if I am shooting.

This with being unable to find a location on the map is absolutely absurd. You're not really in a place where it's easy to find landmarks... all trees look the same and they've built a mission where you need to find a spot, it's almost dark and you have no GPS. Great.

Zooming the map to the fullest... ehm... the map is zoomed where the pointer is. How do I know where I am... even by clicking and centering on me, that ME at elite level is not displayed on the map. How is it possible no modder took care of these situations? :)

YES I installed the TWP bundle already. :)

If you choose to play on Elite difficulty then having situational awareness is a must and to got along with that so is knowing where you are on the map. Keep using you compass etc and find some landmarks, they are there if you look hard enough.

Follow you Squad leader and your squad, they are heading in the right direction. If you continually get lost then you need to change your difficulty settings until you are comfortable with the Elite setting.

And if you keep dying then the same applies. The AI are supposed to be really hard on Elite...

I am afraid this has nothing to do with Elite... it's the mission designers that gave no GPS but I solved it, at least for the Vehicles part of the showcase.

Conversely, SA should take into account a rough HUD that shows your heading and your view bearing (where you are looking when not looking front) is ok but if the hud also shows friends and enemy that's no good.

Now I am with Helicopters and I more or less have the same issue with orienting.

I can find Kamino on the map alright but when he says "protect 28" I have no idea what battlegroup he's talking about. This, again, is fault of the mission designer. Designers should design mission for ELITE using specific language that helps id quadrants and targets instead of assuming people are playing with HUD and other gamey helpers. :)

I don't think any soldier on this island can be sent on the battlefield without a GPS. I found it strange to see I couldn't see GPS on map because I had no gps lol... I am getting lost with the helo now but the helo has instruments, it should have a waypoint marker in the helmet sights...

... it's all very strange to me.

You are getting to tangled up on the Elite side of life.

The mission showcases are designed so that you can play them on ANY difficulty.

Not all soldiers (in the real world) go into battle with a GPS. But admittedly in 2035 this may be different but then again...

You really need to look at your difficulty settings and adjust them to how you play the game. You can still have Elite difficulty and also have HUD markers. Play about with the settings.

As i said it's not a matter of settings and hud.

I got to finish the "Vehicles" showcase because I read the briefing with attention and it said "leave the island" so I started looking at the water and not at something or somebody waiting for me in the clear areas or rocks... and I finally found the small boat.

Now with Helicopters it's the same. I am flying to Kamino to drop my troops and while I am flying I get the order to stop 2 enemy cars which I just did. I got new orders then to defend base 26 (yes its a base, it's written on the map) from mortars, I am supposed to drop soldiers there but no matter how many times I landed they just won't leave the copter... and landing with keyboard and mouse is a tough predicament... mehehehehehehhhohohohohhohoho.

I just don't understand why some things are easy to handle the way they are and something that don't work are simply unintellegible. I do NOT have a command to tell the guys to drop off the copter so I don't know whatta do.

EDIT: hahaah I did it. :)

Edited by GShock