Sign in to follow this  
purepassion

Project Reality to be Standalone Game on Cryengine 3

From a PCGamer article:

Project Reality 2 announced, turns the military FPS mod into a standalone game

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/09/project-reality-2.jpg (324 kB)

"The Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2/Arma 2 finally hit version 1.0 earlier this year, after eight years of development time. During that time, the game series it was modifying have moved on to bigger and more explodey installments – several times, when it comes to Battlefield. Now, the PR Team have announced the mod’s follow-up – and, excitingly, you won’t need to rely on any other games to play it. Project Reality 2 is being built using CryEngine 3 to be “completely standaloneâ€, in contrast to the distinctly semi-detached nature of the original.

Like the original mod, the aim with PR2 is to be one of the more realistic multiplayer shooters out there. As the announcement post reveals, “Initially, Project Reality 2 will be a small scale, infantry based FPS with a comprehensive weapon handling system that will aim to be as realistic as possible. Map sizes will be 1km and 2km with an Advance and Secure (or “AASâ€) style game mode, similar to that seen in the Project Reality: BF2 and Project Reality: ARMA 2 modifications.†The team are currently working on the alpha – development began in mid-2012 – although a public release “is still away off†as there’s obviously a lot more work involved with making a standalone release.

Interestingly, Project Reality 2 will also be “free to playâ€, and thanks to the lack of hyphens there I’m going to assume that means the good kind of free, rather than the wallet-tickling kind often favoured by many of today’s online-FPS developers. For the full details, be sure to read that announcement post – in the meantime, here’s how PR1 was looking just a few months ago:

"

Saw the official post yesterday. They are going for some really small maps (2km squared max) though, infantry only, and no vehicles. Still, I'm really looking forward to it.

EDIT - http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/124409-project-reality-2-game-announced.html

Edited by Alpha Whiskey Romeo

Saw the official post yesterday. They are going for some really small maps (2km squared max) though, infantry only, and no vehicles. Still, I'm really looking forward to it.

EDIT - http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/124409-project-reality-2-game-announced.html

“Initially, Project Reality 2 will be a small scale, infantry based FPS with a comprehensive weapon handling system that will aim to be as realistic as possible. Map sizes will be 1km and 2km with an Advance and Secure (or “AASâ€) style game mode, similar to that seen in the Project Reality: BF2 and Project Reality: ARMA 2 modifications.â€

They do say initially so the scope may well increase to include vehicles in the far...far future. It seems a daringly over ambitious project but then, if they've pushed BF2 as far as it can go and the new installments are not mod friendly it's quite a logical step. Their biggest challenge, I suppose, will be keeping the team strong for what will be a significant development period.

They do say initially so the scope may well increase to include vehicles in the far...far future. It seems a daringly over ambitious project but then, if they've pushed BF2 as far as it can go and the new installments are not mod friendly it's quite a logical step. Their biggest challenge, I suppose, will be keeping the team strong for what will be a significant development period.

We already have a realistic or realism based infantry game which is RO2, and moving away from what made PR great to begin with, that being a wide-scale diversity in equipment, just might not be a good thing. That said, it doesn't matter to me but it might alienate some or a good portion of the PR community.

Have they given a timeline as to it's current development process?

The freedom of using the CryEngine3 SDK combined with years of experience working together is a Good Thing .

Be interesting to see what comes out of it.

There is a statement by Twisted Helix that might attract some people's interest here:

"To clear up some confusion and misconceptions. PR2 will be free yes. More than that, we are seriously considering open sourcing it once a basic foundation has been laid. This would allow development to proceed at a far faster rate than if we just kept it to a small closed team."

If i don't get it wrong, there would be the possibility to build mods onto Project Reality 2.. (this thought is weird.. :D) .. and fucking AWESOME! :yay:

Edited by Die neunte Seele

We already have a realistic or realism based infantry game which is RO2, and moving away from what made PR great to begin with, that being a wide-scale diversity in equipment, just might not be a good thing. That said, it doesn't matter to me but it might alienate some or a good portion of the PR community.

I think realism based fit's better RO2 gameplay, since most of the firefights are totally arcade from a batallion vs batallion engagement perspective.

RO2 deviated too much from RO1 and introduced some odd mechanics. I think an infantry only Project Reality 2 will be great. There is also the level of detail difference between infantry and vehicles. Vehicles require an absurd amount of work to get even close to realistic levels. The worst thing for a game is to have simulator like infantry fighting arcade like vehicles.

I wish them luck, and while I disliked Project Reality for BF2, I will look into this. I am also following Festung Europa, which will hopefully be what RO2 should have been.

Hello there

I hugely enjoyed PR/A2 and its a shame it wont come to A3 IMHO.

I would prefer a combined ops sort of game, but if one thinks about it there's a heck of a lot of infantry based stuff that many games havn't focused on (although ACE nods towards some).

Ill keep my eyes on this one.

Rdgs

LoK

It will come to A3! And the infantry scale its just initial but I wouldn't expect Arma like terrains, not even close to it.

But good to know it will be free and somewhat open source; will atract some modders from other games (including A3) to showcase things on the CE3. I never played a "good" game on that engine.

Do you have the source of that?

Edited by Smurf