Sign in to follow this  
Kieran

Is the outside of the map causing a lot of unnecessary fps loss?

I'm not sure how the outside of the map works.

so apologizes if am talking nonsense.

Is the outside of map being rendered when the game playing no matter what position you are on the island?

if so then surely that's a huge fps drain.

I randomly traveled over 42KM from the nearest coast to the edge of the map

surely all that water,textures,and marine life is not going to be any good for performance on the main island?

Perhaps their is an option to remove all that extra room via scripting?

or at the very least show the water on the map instead of the black

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/901008520048834173/44A8038B09B4367841EE71F625AA7AE30D519CD9/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/901008520048841188/EA337C23CBFA738A120EBC9243021E5235D85948/

Also the seafloor that far out is a nice texture haha :)

Anything beyond map borders is generated on the fly and only if you go there. It's random terrain, it doesn't really exist and nothing there is processed.

interesting.

Do you think it would be possible via scripting to create your own map borders?

For example if i wanted my mission to take place in one of the large towns in altis would i be able to not render the whole island but only the section i am interested in?

The normal map area will always be there but it doesn't really affect performance that much if there's nothing placed somewhere far in your mission. The world is loaded as you go there. I don't know much about scripting but I believe you can't "disable" the parts of the map you don't need.

Well, one could mod a version of for instance Altis that only includes a certain town/area for a mission, I believe that'd be too much work though considering that the area would also be available on the full version of Altis.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see it is this:

All assets used on the map are loaded into your system memory, RAM. Only what is needed is actually drawn by your GPU and exists in your GPU RAM = View Distance. So if something is outside your area of engagement/action, it only exists in system memory. It is not processed (unless specifically needed, AI vs AI-warfare for example). It still isn't drawn.

If you are not near it, your not loosing any performance (unless it is something the CPU needs to process).

Of course the game isn't drawing the whole island all the time, we would have 1 Frame every 5 years.

Well, one could mod a version of for instance Altis that only includes a certain town/area for a mission, I believe that'd be too much work though considering that the area would also be available on the full version of Altis.

Also i would like to point out you can't edit BIS content. It would be better to create a new island which is a smaller size, for your type of mission.