Sign in to follow this  
iAspx

Arma 3 working with 120Hz monitors?

Hi guys,

Before I buy Arma III, I would like to know if I can run it 120hz on my new monitor.

Thanks for the answer :)

My spec:

Card:

AMD Radeon HD 7970

Processor:

Intel Core i7-3770K ~3.5GHz

RAM:

DDR3 4096 x3

Motherboard:

ASUS P8Z77-V LX2

I use Windows 8 64bit (runs on a SSD 240gb harddisc)

Edited by iAspx

As DragonSyr said you are probably speaking about your monitor refresh rate (120 Hz) and not 120 FPS (Frame Per Second) ... if this is correct then the answer is yes.

If still you are talking about FPS the answer is no.

Guys I am sorry, I mean of cause 120hz

Btw sorry about my English

120fps? Maybe if you turn everything to the lowest and play alone in the editor.

I'd ask the mods to close this thread, as you already have the answer, and the title may lead some pranksters to show their sharp jokes.

I actually did get 111fps on a server the other night, i forget what the mission type was but i spawned in to a ..corral? with no way out it was about 20x20 feet in size surrounded by those barriers used in the remote bases and my FPS counter said 111fps :)

A 120hz monitor is able to refresh the viewed screen image 120 times per second. In theory that can be synced to frames per second using Vsync. With a 120hz monitor you could only display a max of 120 fps anything higher is *wasted*.

Just because a game is unable to reach 120 fps, does not mean it won't work on a 120hz monitor. It will simply show the same image a couple times. When using a 120hz monitor but only getting 30fps, each frame will last 4 refresh cycles. If you get 60 fps, each frame will then last 2 refresh cycles and so on.

You're question of will Arma 3 take full advantage of your 120hz monitor capable of displaying a constant 120fps. The answer is no, but that doesn't make a difference. There are many reasons for owning a high hz monitor outside of Arma 3.

You will likely find it difficult to reach 120 fps in most games running a single 7970 and a low cpu overclock unless you lower ingame settings.

120hz will be smoother looking and feeling than 60Hz at any (reasonable) frame rate. Motion blur is less than TN LCD @ 60hz and inputs feel smoother. In other words you don't need to be running at (or even near) 120FPS to take advantage of a 120hz monitor. And yes, Arma3 does allow you to set your Refresh rate to 120hz.

Hi, sadly the game itself is not able to set alternate Hz, as I just discovered.

I am running dual Titan X on an Asus 144 Hz monitor.

Even the gui is "blinking" for me after being used to 144Hz.

However, I set my game to windows fullscreen mode and use 144Hz in windows and that made a HUGE difference, the game may not render 144fps but everything got soo much smoother and stopped blinking.

hope this helps and hope the devs decide to allow for higher Hz configurations in the future.

Hi, sadly the game itself is not able to set alternate Hz, as I just discovered.

I am running dual Titan X on an Asus 144 Hz monitor.

Even the gui is "blinking" for me after being used to 144Hz.

However, I set my game to windows fullscreen mode and use 144Hz in windows and that made a HUGE difference, the game may not render 144fps but everything got soo much smoother and stopped blinking.

hope this helps and hope the devs decide to allow for higher Hz configurations in the future.

I use a 144Hz Screen too, if you want to avoid the blinking GUI you need to open the Arma3.cfg and change the setting "refresh" from 60 to 144 and save the file. No blinking GUI issue then ;)

I am using WIN 8.1

How do I find out the  Hz rate of my monitor?

Why woulden't it be possible? idealy you should play with a 144 hz monitor :D