incontrovertible

ArmA 3 Performance Tweaks and Settings Guide

Is that running a benchmark compared to previous patch or is this a guess ?

I have lost 2 FPS with the new patch using YAAB and the same settings so unlike yourself not pleased at all, makes me thankful ive not bought the expansion.

Guys, my average FPS went up from 25 to 35 and minimal FPS from like 8 FPS to 13. It is huge success under circumstances. Anyone can explain me why?

I have i5 4GHZ, it is being used 80% each core.

And GTX 760, holds down at 45% usage(35% before update). VRAM usage optimized from 1850MB to 1800MB, then it s filling up to 2GB so I can´t track it too good from here but probably no performance issue.

Anyone know about way to make game run even smoother? This update gave me hope! I couldn´t play game before, now I can play... in editor not in town I can feel the smoothness! Want more.

For me it's the other way around.

AMD vs Nvidia possibly ? Max I get in YAAB is 17fps...

yaab-bench

arma3 v1.58: 39fps

v.1.60: 37fps

3km view distance

3km object distance

all max

1920x1200 res.

The secret? High (intel) cpu clock and high ram clock + fred41 malloc.

Is this still valid? Just wondering if maybe bi had incorporated these as default yet.

So, It seems unnecessary to declare any malloc since 1.58, right?

And by the way, what is the best config for playing Arma3 (Apex minded), today? I7-6900K? DDR4? How much RAM? . "Best" as best performance for a demanding PC gamer without spending uselessly.

hi I am new to arma 3 but every time I try to play something other than boot camp it recommends playing boot camp first but when I say no it just stays there. so I looked it up and it says to add this \Documents\Arma 3\<GameProfileName>.Arma3Profile: bootCampWarning = 1; to game files or something like that but I don't understand how or where to put it or how to fix the problem.

hi I am new to arma 3 but every time I try to play something other than boot camp it recommends playing boot camp first but when I say no it just stays there. so I looked it up and it says to add this \Documents\Arma 3\<GameProfileName>.Arma3Profile: bootCampWarning = 1; to game files or something like that but I don't understand how or where to put it or how to fix the problem.

In your documents/arma3  you would fins your profiles as suggested above. !!  The .cfg file is one of 2(3 if eden counts)  and I think BootCamp warning by default is =1.

You would set this to bootcamp warning = 0.  and save it.

With a SLI, did a single dedicated card to PhysX gonna improve really better performance compared to classic sli setting ?

Hey guys, just trying to troubleshoot some fps issues here. I'm getting pretty bad performance on MP, I mostly play I&A on public servers (I know, but funny the real army gets in the way of joining a unit). I've tried all the usual command lines, checked to make sure the machine is using the dedicated GPU etc. Any ideas?

Specs are i7 6700HQ, 12GB RAM, OS and A3 installed to SSD, 970M. I know someone will say get a desktop but portability has to be a thing for me, again, army.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hey guys, just trying to troubleshoot some fps issues here. I'm getting pretty bad performance on MP, I mostly play I&A on public servers (I know, but funny the real army gets in the way of joining a unit). I've tried all the usual command lines, checked to make sure the machine is using the dedicated GPU etc. Any ideas?

Specs are i7 6700HQ, 12GB RAM, OS and A3 installed to SSD, 970M. I know someone will say get a desktop but portability has to be a thing for me, again, army.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Come in - \Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 , start  arma3launcher. More options. It is a lot of options of settings of conditions of start of game. Change, experiment, find the best for you option.

Study this branch

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/page-78

We don't forget

• Consider using the Steam client option to verify the integrity of the local game cache to avoid corrupted data after downloading this update.
  • Consider defragmenting your HDD after downloading large updates.

Dynamic Storage Accelerator [Disabled]

This item allows you to accelerate the performance of the SSDs (Solid-State Drives) by

dynamically adjusting the power management during heavy multitasking. Configuration

options: [Enabled] [Disabled] -  Dynamic Storage Accelerator [ Disabled]

That Who uses on PC SSD. In BIOS, in the section "CPU Configuration", the Dynamic Storage Accelerator parameter - to apply "Enabled".

It builds game smoothly, without breakthroughs. Doesn't influence the size FPS.

Hey guys.

I am going to do a refresh on the guide, main reason I haven't so far is because I am not satisfied with the consistency of the benchmark and it is a lot of work to do every setting 3 times only to be concerned they aren't as reliable as possible. Another recent consideration was the stable release of the 64bit client and adding that to the tables.

I am going to start working on the refresh but will release it first with only benchmarks of the presets at various overclocks on CPU, GPU and RAM. When I am satisfied with a reliable benchmark I will do each setting again, and am also looking to add a some sort of dedicated server client-side performance benchmark.

I haven't been idle though and have been trying different ways to improve the smoothness of the game, including trying out the new Windows 10 Game Mode on the Fast Insider Ring.

Thank-you for your time!

On 3/2/2017 at 1:47 PM, incontrovertible said:

Hey guys.

I am going to do a refresh on the guide, main reason I haven't so far is because I am not satisfied with the consistency of the benchmark and it is a lot of work to do every setting 3 times only to be concerned they aren't as reliable as possible. Another recent consideration was the stable release of the 64bit client and adding that to the tables.

I am going to start working on the refresh but will release it first with only benchmarks of the presets at various overclocks on CPU, GPU and RAM. When I am satisfied with a reliable benchmark I will do each setting again, and am also looking to add a some sort of dedicated server client-side performance benchmark.

I haven't been idle though and have been trying different ways to improve the smoothness of the game, including trying out the new Windows 10 Game Mode on the Fast Insider Ring.

Thank-you for your time!

An update sounds brilliant but I wouldn't do a refresh until 1.68 has been released on Stable branch. Dwarden seems to think that it will be a significant changes to performance. Given that 1.68 RC was released 4 weeks ago, I reckon that 1.68 Final can't be more than a week away now.

On 3/4/2017 at 6:29 AM, domokun said:

An update sounds brilliant but I wouldn't do a refresh until 1.68 has been released on Stable branch. Dwarden seems to think that it will be a significant changes to performance. Given that 1.68 RC was released 4 weeks ago, I reckon that 1.68 Final can't be more than a week away now.

Yep I agree that's what I meant to say the full release not the preview.

Thank-you for your time!

duno why i cant open a thread so i'll ask here!

since new hardware i've hard motion blur while moving my mouse. ONLY while mouse moving!

settings still deactivated!

I7 6700

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

16GB DDR4 Corsair

any idea?

Edited by DOYCA

21 hours ago, DOYCA said:

duno why i cant open a thread so i'll ask here!

since new hardware i've hard motion blur while moving my mouse. ONLY while mouse moving!

settings still deactivated!

I7 6700

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

16GB DDR4 Corsair

any idea?

Does the new hardware include a new monitor? A high response rate (ms) will cause motion blur that cannot be removed, 5ms or lower is generally considered good for gaming. The odds however of getting something with over 5ms is rather low nowadays.

11 hours ago, incontrovertible said:

Does the new hardware include a new monitor? A high response rate (ms) will cause motion blur that cannot be removed, 5ms or lower is generally considered good for gaming. The odds however of getting something with over 5ms is rather low nowadays.

ASUS VG248QE 1 MS 144 FREQ

But still these hard motion blur while moving mouse (i dont mean tearing)

11 hours ago, DOYCA said:

Yep I know what you're talking about, so yeah that monitor will not have motion blur (ghosting) problems due having too high of a response rate as 1ms is the best (lowest) you can get. Because it is a high refresh rate LCD (above 60Hz) it requires a feature called Overdrive to help stop the blurring caused by the specification, I am not too familiar with it and only have a 60Hz display (RL2755HM) at this point in time. I am also unfamiliar with ASUS monitors, having taken a brief google though it seems they call it 'Trace Free' which allows a bit of tuning to increase ghosting in one direction or the other to result in no net blur (or at least as little as possible). This article talks about Trace Free which they set at 40 (lower than the default 60) for their product and purposes.

I hope this helps, I don't have any experience with high refresh rate monitors or ASUS monitors but hopefully this can get you the gaming experience you are after.

On 3/9/2017 at 0:07 PM, DOYCA said:

Check monitor video settings which are accessed by the controls on monitor panel. For my 40" Philips monitor I had an option in video settings to eliminate or improve ghosting for the fast moving objects on the screen. The problem is that when I enabled this feature I had very bad motion blur with everything moving on the screen. Lucky me that I have found that I had to disable that feature to return back the monitor to working condition because I was already close to return it back. So, if you have a similar problem with all moving objects on the screen and not only for ARMA 3 then check your monitor settings.

Update: I have checked the manual for this monitor. There is Trace Free feature in monitor Image settings (adjusts the response time of the monitor). Try to change this value (60 in manual).

Edited by ViperAleks
update

It is obvious that SSD drive is faster than HDD drive and it is better to have ARMA3 data files on SSD drive for fast loading objects and textures. But installing the whole ARMA3 game with mods on SSD will take a lot of drive space. There is a trick. 

I do not use SSD for ARM3A installation. I have Steam with all games installed on HDD drive. Then I move ARMA3 data files ( ARMA3\Addons and ARMA3\Expansion) to SSD drive into ARMA3_cache folder. After that I use windows command mklink to make a link from HDD drive\Steam\ARMA3\Addons to my SSD drive\ARMA3_cache\Addons with the moved ARMA3 files. Now I have all ARMA3 data files located on SSD drive for the fast read operations but game thinks that they are located on my HDD drive. When Steam updates data files they are actually updated on my SSD drive. Using this approach I can control myself how much data I want to locate on SSD drive rather than install the whole game to SSD drive.

Example:

mklink /d "h:\GAMES\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\Addons" "c:\Arma3_cache\Addons"

H: - HDD

C: - SSD