Sign in to follow this  
cifordayzserver

WIP: SMD_A1_Building_Project

Hello Armaverse!

As some of you may know we are a small but dedicated dev team. We have released our Arma 2 Full port of Sahrani, as well as an addon pack that includes the custom re textured Vilas units as well as some BI vehicles and Units. (See my signature for links to our other projects)

Integrated into our current Arma 2 version of Sahrani are many Arma 1 buildings we have opened up and built interiors for; or otherwise simply "corrected" existing issues.

*EDIT 10 Oct 2013*

Please note the below video highlighting some of (not all) the buildings we've completed so far:

M1lkm8n is now in the process of going over all the buildings that have been done previously by himself and others, to make sure they are ALL upto solid standards, then we will release the buildings PBO and upload all the source to the github.

*/EDIT 10 Oct 2013*

Many of our group were but babes in the woods at the project start, and are still on a steep learning curve, so some of the buildings were not done to the same quality standards as others.

Currently M1lkm8n the hero of the project (terrain lead, and now lead modeller for buildings) will begin "circling the wagons" on the buildings that we have completed to this point.

They will all be completed to the same standards which is:

1. All LOD's for A2 fully checked and corrected

2. All doors animated

3. All pathed to rubble models

4. As many as possible with animated destruction

5. As many as possible will have proxied in furniture

6. Some cases custom animated furniture

We are looking to take what we consider to be a gold mine of offerings from Bohemia by way of the A1 MLOD and:

1. Mine it

2. Smelt it

3. Make Pretty Things

4. Hand them back to you beautiful folks and the whole Armaverse!

Once M1lkm8n has finished off all the buildings that have been done for Sahrani to this point, and we have ensured they are all up to standard, they will be made publicly available as a PBO, and unbinerized p3d source, as per the license of the A1 MLOD! For any/all to use in Arma and it's sequels.

Our ArmaVersity project is training two more modellers now, and the sessions are in O2 ONLY, so as to ensure all works are from the MLOD and FOR THE MLOD... there will be NO CONTENT DISPUTES over this library.

All authors are fully informed of this, and training at ArmaVersity is NOT limited to anyone.

There is no need to promise allegiance with us, or open sharing of your future works in general, we simply want to see MORE modellers trained.

A series of tutorial guides will be produced in conjunction with this project. We have gotten some confirmation that our tutorials will be reviewed and corrected by those with more experience than ourselves. You can read more about our other projects by checking out the links in my signature.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

*reserved? There will likely end up being a lot of pics/media.

Here are some of M1lkm8n WIP videos, he has a thing for only recording WIP and never finished buildings lol... Will fix that shortly.

NM lol, Just re-watched some WIP vids and they need redone, I will do some comparo's here shortly.

Just a quick update to show an example of something that will be in our next build, and the building pack.

A1 had NO industrial sheds you could enter, this is obviously quite a large problem for DayZ folks as that is where parts to repair cars are found... In our DayZ Sahrani build we simply put A2 sheds on the map to make it easy, but the goal has always been to get the original bouda_plecht open... however we like to do things "above and beyond' when we can, and add little interesting nuances to them:

As you can see there is a latch on the door, similar to what represented in the texture of the original un-opened version:

http://puu.sh/4wIoi.jpg (169 kB)

Our plans are to add as much detail as possible to each building, sound, proper rubble, or destruction, materials, function... etc etc etc.

ALSO worthy of note for terrain editors, or mission editors who add buildings, ALL our modified buildings are given foundations so they can be set on fairly un-even terrains without worries of the ground poking through in some spots!

For our DayZ Version it will be possible to trap people inside this shed. teehee.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

ALL our modified buildings are given foundations so they can be set on fairly un-even terrains without worries of the ground poking through in some spots!

This is a terrific extra bonus!

There's nothing worse than not being able to use certain buildings on anything other than totally flat ground... A simple foundation wall protruding down a meter or two below ground level, and a matching set of "steps" leading down from all street-level doorways means you can cram buildings into all sorts of more interesting locations, or even simply avoid having to buldoze a "village area" totally flat just to be sure your buildings won't have crazy gaps showing everywhere...

Well done guys! - I'm sure a lot of terrainmakers are following this thread with great interest!

B

Ha, Yes this was something we promised ourselves to do from the minute we started trying to find places to put Arma 2 buildings on Sahrani that are need for DayZ.

The Markets for example are fantastic and no problem at all, there is even the 2nd model with a VERY deep foundation and steps built in.. Then there are residentials with literally just 2 inches of floorboards at the base. Even on flat surfaces grass would still pop through floorboards if a separate clutter cutter object wasn't placed down as well.

We are at a stage right now where M1lkm8n really only needs to get shattering glass totally figured out, then we should be ready to apply the same standards to all the current buildings...

One of our students has already gotten back to us with his 1st shots at opening a building on his own, and from my limited perspective it looks good. M1lkm8n will give it a proper once over and then we may already have another workhorse on the way to help lighting M1lkm8n's load.

Due to our many projects, we are still trying to get the 1st proper session of Armaversity done and documented. After 2 or so of those I should have a How To written up and recorded. Hopefully that should REALLY get things moving forward quickly.

I think with the right ease of access, intuitive instruction, direct intervention when needed and proper oversight many eager modellers who might have been previously overwhelmed or confused might find Arma Modding a lot more accessible.

Once the tutorial, the next map release, and next DayZ Sahrani update are released, I will be taking a bit of a break. But hope to use the tutorial to start modelling some of the buildings myself in my spare time.

Nice work! I really like the idea of locking someone inside one of those sheds :P

So as usual a casual remark by me that it's a shame the Aircraft Hangers don't open/close, led to M1lkm8n cranking away at the computer as usual:

Still WIP, but as you can see, both front doors animate open and closed, and there is a "keypad" control panel (with animated lift up control reveal) that operates the roll up hangar door.

I will try to get some more footage of the finished buildings that are currently in our Sahrani build this weekend.

Outstanding work, its making a real difference to immersion, along with all the newly opened buildings I know you and the team are working on.

Great quality and thanks for your much appreciated work.:)

Turned the side by side garaz inside an actual enter able building.

Embed

Are you making fun of me cause I can never get a video to embed :)

I said over in the other thread, I'll say it here too, really great work..