Sign in to follow this  
DragonFireSG

Mouse wheel fails to function (logitech mice)

The problem:

The mouse middle button works to activate the actions menu. The wheel scroller fails to function, however, requiring manual keyboard navigation.

The solution:

The mouse exhibited this trouble when plugged into the PS/2 mouse port of the computer using a USB->PS/2 adaptor. The problem disappeared when the mouse was connected to a USB port instead of said PS/2 connector.

It is a well documented problem that Logitech are crap when it comes to sorting out this o so simple problem. Using the Logitech software with games renders the mouse wheel almost unusable as it seems to skip weapons when trying to select them with said wheel. In Half-Life and Tribes 2 I have this problem. Although with OFP it is fine in the action menu, I don't know why.

If you have this problem then the only way I know to fix it is to hit ctrl-alt-del in windows and close down 'EM_EXEC.exe'. This is a work-around method and is really annoying as most of the time I forget to do this before starting a game.

You could just not install the Logitech software, but then you won't have access to the thumb button sad.gif

On Logitech's site there is an apparent registry entry fix but this does not work for me as I have Win2K. I don't know whether it works on any other OS.

Yeah I know that problem. But now my PC has decided to lock up when I want to close that EM-EXEC. sad.gif

If you disable that you can't browse trough webpages anymore with the mouse-wheel.</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a work-around method and is really annoying as most of the time I forget to do this before starting a game.

<span id='postcolor'>

You can decide not to start the program when the computer starts. By going to Start\Run\"msconfig" (sorry if you already knew that).

DestroyerX: I think the command is different in Win2K but I can't remember what to type in the run menu sad.gif

If anyone can help...

I've heard that Logitech claims "no tech support" for people using the PS/2 adapter. How sorry can they get... They charge fairly big bucks for their mice, and don't give support mad.gif

Perhaps thats the reason why their drivers have not fixed the PS/2 incompatibility.

BTW. I get the same probs playing Morrowind with the mousewheel. It plain suxs...

DF

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hotwire @ Aug. 20 2002,20:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DestroyerX: I think the command is different in Win2K but I can't remember what to type in the run menu sad.gif

If anyone can help...<span id='postcolor'>

Well, you can try hacking the registry yourself. (If you are familiar with this only please!! Tis a dangerous thing to play with your registry if u do not know what you are doing)

The key is

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

There will be a value called "EM_EXEC" under the a/m key

You can delete EM_EXEC and the data it contains. When thats done, EM_EXEC will no longer run. (Do NOT delete the entire key! You will screw your system big time!wink.gif

Regards,

DF

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DragonFireSG @ Aug. 20 2002,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard that Logitech claims "no tech support" for people using the PS/2 adapter. How sorry can they get... They charge fairly big bucks for their mice, and don't give support mad.gif

Perhaps thats the reason why their drivers have not fixed the PS/2 incompatibility.

BTW. I get the same probs playing Morrowind with the mousewheel. It plain suxs...

DF<span id='postcolor'>

They also won't support USB mice that aren't plugged directly into a port on the motherboard -- if you describe your system setup to one of their techs and mention that the mouse is plugged into a USB hub, the call will immediately come to an end.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DragonFireSG @ Aug. 21 2002,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard that Logitech claims "no tech support" for people using the PS/2 adapter.<span id='postcolor'>

Well that sucks cause I remember reading in the documentation when I bought my optical cordless ifreedom package (which has since been nicked, spewing) something like "The PS/2 adapter should be used when ever a PS/2 port is available".