Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

A3 and DayZ share anything?

@ProGamer: Why not simply release Chern+ as an A3 DLC? See my comment on the tracker.

It would be far more likely for us to see Dayz linked to Arma 3 via something like Take On Helicopters Rearmed.

@ProGamer: Why not simply release Chern+ as an A3 DLC? See my comment on the tracker.

I so hope this will happen. So much cool stuff in DayZ:SA that Arma3 will hopefully benefit from. (openable vehicle doors being one of them)

Chernarus+ looks great so far. So much love for detail. I love the new (fully enterable) building types like the huge apartment blocks. Would be great to have this in Arma3 (+Zeus). They wouldn't fit into the Altis setting, but I still hope we will get access to them in some way or another.

Although I doubt we will get the survival system from Dayz I still hope we get Chernarus+ as dlc/addon.I didn't even played too much A3 and I'm already fed up with Altis.

Although I doubt we will get the survival system from Dayz I still hope we get Chernarus+ as dlc/addon.I didn't even played too much A3 and I'm already fed up with Altis.

Don't think we need the survival system (except for mods like Wasteland or Altis Life maybe) but apart from Cherno+ I would really like to see stuff like basic melee combat, ability to handcuff, restrain and search enemies, some of the animations, gestures and hand signals and all the MMO server optimizations that they are doing make it to vanilla Arma 3.

And of course all the civillian assets that Arma 3 is seriously lacking right now.

Edited by novemberist

i just want dat delicious rain. i need it! i mean yea arma 3 rain is better than arma 2 from a technical stand point but it'S not as atmospheric. and the dayZ rain is liek the proper update. and it's one of those things that i'm sure can be implemented eventhough dayZ is "different".

i just want dat delicious rain. i need it! i mean yea arma 3 rain is better than arma 2 from a technical stand point but it'S not as atmospheric. and the dayZ rain is liek the proper update. and it's one of those things that i'm sure can be implemented eventhough dayZ is "different".

You are not making fun of me, are you? I'm not a DayZ player, but I think it is perfectly valid to talk about sharing useful assets from DayZ's developement with Arma 3. It's one company after all. So what is your point?

I would like the ability to remove servers using 3rd from my search options introduced to Arma3.

I think a drop down box with all the server difficulty's in the filter section would be a good thing.

they both share the terrible optimization and game mechanic...

Will you please stop spamming every thread with bullshit on how Arma 3 is horrible, poorly optimized and has terrible game mechanics?

they both share the terrible optimization and game mechanic...

Really, if you don't like it, don't play it. The improvements I've been watching in this game since the days of Alpha have been incredible. In addition to that, the Arma engine is far more complex than you would think. To be able to model ballistics, flight, infantry movement, vehicle movement and terrain and a ridiculous amount more, to the detail it does is no mean feat. To allow that same engine to be relatively easily modded and scripted adds another layer of complexity again. If you can do better and remain a viable business, by all means go ahead.

You are not making fun of me, are you? I'm not a DayZ player, but I think it is perfectly valid to talk about sharing useful assets from DayZ's developement with Arma 3. It's one company after all. So what is your point?

what?! :suspicious:

i'll be honest. i didn't even read one of the recent posts. what ever you read into this is only in your head.

i sincerely want dayZ's refracting rain drops. i really do!

EDIT: did you even report it? oh dear...

what?! :suspicious:

i'll be honest. i didn't even read one of the recent posts. what ever you read into this is only in your head.

i sincerely want dayZ's refracting rain drops. i really do!

EDIT: did you even report it? oh dear...

Sorry then, I thought you were one of those aggressive people in the Arma community that attack people for even mentioning the name DayZ, let alone the fact that there might be some good things in it that could also be good for Arma. Your sarcastic tone somewhat suggested some amount of disdain. Since I was the one who bumped the thread, I felt spoken to. And offended...that's why I reported it.

Sorry then, I thought you were one of those aggressive people in the Arma community that attack people for even mentioning the name DayZ, let alone the fact that there might be some good things in it that could also be good for Arma. Your sarcastic tone somewhat suggested some amount of disdain. Since I was the one who bumped the thread, I felt spoken to. And offended...that's why I reported it.

1. you feeling offended doesn't (obviously in this case) make me break the rules. open insults are against the rules however.

2. no sarcasm whatsoever in my post.

3. whatever you're smoking. cut down on it. you seem paranoid ;)

Ok, shake hands, hug and now direct those evil looking eyes to the Devs reading this thread.

Animations, systems (quick select weapons\items) and civilian and general items is mostly what could be easily (?) shared.

2. no sarcasm whatsoever in my post.

So that's the way you normally speak/write when you are serious? Man, If I only had known this...

Anyways, apology accepted :D

Back to topic:

I would accept paying for Cherno+ ( and maybe DayZ vehicles, weapons, animals, objects) as a DLC (free for owners of DayZ:SA maybe) since apparently BI has prohibited the use of AiA for using it in Arma 3 as of now. I think we can take for granted that all other optimizations, if they are applicable in Arma 3's engine, will make Arma 3 benefit from DayZ's developement naturally.

Animations, systems (quick select weapons\items) and civilian and general items is mostly what could be easily (?) shared.

Arma 3 is BI's flagship product and, if technically possible, I think it should contain at least every asset that its little spin-off brother has and much more. I can't even imagine how furious people here will be if DayZ (with its compareably small dev team) turns out to have tons of civillian assets, women models, medical system etc. while we are still left with 2 guys in polo shirts, an ugly hatchback and a SUV...

Edited by novemberist

Well, at least we could be happy about one thing : http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xpbx5/major_client_and_server_optimisations_in_testing/

If DayZ and ArmA 3 really "share anything", maybe we'll also take profit from this.

yea if only this could come to arma 3 ! :) : https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/433579739438006272

collection of post from Rocket about optimisation of the engine:

Client Optimizations

We have been processing the first of the reports we received from hardware manufacturers. The companies have been testing DayZ across many rigs, and they send us the reports saying how our game is utilizing their hardware along with recommendations. Very significant areas of improvement were identified.

The current testing in internal is for fixes specifically designed to improve how the engine utilizes Nvidia hardware (ATI will be done shortly). Those in the office have noticed improvements ranging from mild to dramatic. I will post exact metrics when we have them.

EDIT:

Important Clarification

A significant optimization regarding stencils will mainly affect Intel users (intel reported the improvement could be around 50%). The benefit for Nvidia/ATI users would depend on some factors. Everyone will notice improvements when it is raining.

Early indications are that Nvidia users will see an improvement of 10-15 FPS, across the board.

Please note: the sample size is quite small (12 PC's) so we want to confirm this by pushing to experimental.

Edit: As expected, the more powerful your machine the more dramatic your FPS improvement. This is because the graphic improvements decrease the bottlenecks occurring on the GPU allowing it to do more work.

Arma engine is very temperamental

It is my hope, that these optimizations end this fallacy once and for all. Whatever problems that exist with ArmA, they are fixable if there is the will too.

We received reports from ATI/NVidia identifying ways that we could better utilize their hardware. They identified what are some large sources of bottlenecks with the rendering process, and even proposed some solutions.

The solutions aren't insignificant and they do require a great deal of time and careful effort - but the problems are solvable.

I'm having troubles understanding the general hate towards DayZ here. I think it rather improves A3 in the long run, as thanks to it, they got much more money and resources to fight against the issues with the engine now. It's all about the cross-benefits! :)

PS. Chernarus Plus... please...! :p

I would accept paying for Cherno+ ( and maybe DayZ vehicles, weapons, animals, objects)
The Cherno+ I get (and nice nod to the DayZ SA buyers), my take on vehicles is "we'll have to see what they actually get in DayZ SA before talking that up at all", and DnA revealed months ago that DayZ SA development already resulted in additional objects for Arma 3, but the weapons thing... even if you could carry over the models you'd still be having to configure them within the confines of "weapons as strings" instead of their DayZ SA versions' native "object oriented programming" (what allows for DayZ SA gear to have durability states), so at best you can only plausibly expect "more civilian weapons", though of course that's still a net plus.

"The companies have been testing DayZ across many rigs, and they send us the reports saying how our game is utilizing their hardware along with recommendations." - THIS is important... though, I suspect, something that Arma 3 isn't "big name" enough to benefit from (from hardware manufacturers) yet DayZ is. :(

The Cherno+ I get (and nice nod to the DayZ SA buyers), my take on vehicles is "we'll have to see what they actually get in DayZ SA before talking that up at all", and DnA revealed months ago that DayZ SA development already resulted in additional objects for Arma 3, but the weapons thing... even if you could carry over the models you'd still be having to configure them within the confines of "weapons as strings" instead of their DayZ SA versions' native "object oriented programming" (what allows for DayZ SA gear to have durability states), so at best you can only plausibly expect "more civilian weapons", though of course that's still a net plus.

"The companies have been testing DayZ across many rigs, and they send us the reports saying how our game is utilizing their hardware along with recommendations." - THIS is important... though, I suspect, something that Arma 3 isn't "big name" enough to benefit from (from hardware manufacturers) yet DayZ is. :(

Porting the weapons over wouldnt have any of those issues, it'd only have that problem if they just copy pasted it into Arma 3 without doing anything to it.

How could this remotely be not a problem to port, let's say, the Dayz M4A1 to ArmA 3 ? Did you actually see how complex the weapon-customization feature is ? It is much more sofisticated than in ArmA 3 !

How could this remotely be not a problem to port, let's say, the Dayz M4A1 to ArmA 3 ? Did you actually see how complex the weapon-customization feature is ? It is much more sofisticated than in ArmA 3 !

That is because DAYZ SA was designed as an MMO from the ground up.

If arma 3 had more attachment proxies then it would be rather easy , damn the magazine proxy would be so useful

In DAYZ skeleton is more advanced than ARMA series. So I hope ARMA3.5 or ARMA4 will use the new skeleton system.