Tom_48_97

Poseidon: advanced text editor for Scripts & Configs

Boring text...

(as usual - don't worry, more boring to write than read!)

This update is the last one... until the 11th of November (at least), time to collect some feedback because I don't have so much and I need it to determine the roadmap. If you don't want the world knows you send me feedback, just send me a PM, otherwise, post here (on the fly, for those who sent PMs, let's continue as it, it's perfect, thanks!) :rolleyes: Well, I'm joking, the main reason why there won't be any update before is I'm in holiday until (at least) this date :yay:

So, let's be serious a little... Poseidon is now in its version 0.62+. The changelog is pretty short unlike before but its content means a lot for some users. Indeed, some of you are waiting for a "white" color scheme and it's now available.To change the color scheme, launch Poseidon, go into Poseidon >> Preferences >> Color scheme and choose the one you prefer. For the rest, I urge you see the changelog (some points are relevant for everyone)

As usual, update => Fresh install !

Reminder:

Poseidon supports natively: CPP, Scripts, Config, mission Config, RPT, XML, SQL and HTML

It's able to interact with (basically for the moment): Arma 2, Arma 3, FSM editor, TexView,

280_thumb_bis_801aa157dbb2cf36.jpg 280_thumb_bis_0c68275ffb218d40.jpg

Personal note about the white color scheme: I have long wondered if I should put the file explorer also in white, and, in the end, I decided no because in this way, it's really easier to stay focused on the code.

What's new?

• ADDED: Layout: White color scheme
  • ADDED: Content: Arma 3 commands for version 1.05+
  • ADDED: Snippets: for XML Stringtables (containers and keys) triggered by “container†and “keyâ€
  • ADDED: BIS_fnc_log entries are highlighted (green background)
  • CHNGD: Performance: Combination of subpixel antialiasing and DirectWrite
  • CHNGD: Header snippet now includes scriptName https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/scriptName
  • CHNGD: Help >> “View help†file updated.
  • CHNGD: The default tab-size is back to 4 (It was an oversight after the font change from the 0.59)
  • CHNGD: RPT support: errors on entities are highlighted (red)
  • CHNGD: Folder structure is still changing icon_smile.gif
  • FIXED: F1 shortcut now works as it should (open Online RVengine documentation)
  • FIXED: Auto indent for XML Stringtables.
  • FIXED: Run with external wasn’t working with “BIEDI†files. It now starts correctly Arma 3 and open the current biedi in the editor.
  • FIXED: Occasionally, poseidon was starting Arma 3 without “dev†and “@debug†mods.

Download

Feel free to Share & Use it!

I am really impressed with this, I did a quick troll through the BI pages as well as in the editor... can this compare two files at the same time showing differences between the code... if this is there, it maybe due to my blindness and old age as to why I am not seeing it, but was curious to know... with all its current glory, I thought maybe it did - just not finding it.! :)

-Raps

Yo Tom !

I wonder how you can simply split a windows in 2 part. I m looking for in the Doc and can't find the Layout menu to do this.

help me please ;-)

I think what you are looking for is under || Poseidon >> preferences >> layout >> "then select the ones you are looking for".

Hope this helps

Raps

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

...Mark some lines of code in a .cpp file:

Toggle Comment will add "//" at the beginning of each line (expected)

Toggle Block Comment will add "/* ... */" around the lines (expected)

But if you do the same things in a .sqf file, toggle comment has the same behaviour as toggle block comment.

Each time the block will be included in "/* ..*/".

Would be nice to fix it to the same behaviour as in .cpp files....

That's something I noticed after the update 0.61, I screwed it up somewhere. It should be fixed with the version 0.62. Let me know if it isn't, I'll pack an hot-fix next week. By the way, remember there is two ways to handle cpp, default is classic C++ (with class search (ctrl+p, @your search) etc...), the CPP Arma, a little more colorized and the ext format works as well with configs as ext files (for info, cpp is a "configFile" and ext is a "missionConfigFile").

@VRCRaptor: Glad you enjoyed your stroll on Poseidon :) File diff is something in progress (and in test in the dev branch), that's not your age nor your blindness, you're far from being the first to ask about this feature :) If you're familiar with diff syntax, here an example of how it is for now. The comparison result is displayed in a new view with both files merged and differences highlighted.

I think I will be able to include it in the version 0.64 that's the next release (0.63 remains an internal stage).

280_thumb_bis_9701c7abdfbb6840.jpg

@GToF: Raps is right :) By the way, shortcuts are in online (link) and offline documentation (help >> view help), in the category "Split window".

I think what you are looking for is under || Poseidon >> preferences >> layout >> "then select the ones you are looking for".

Hope this helps

Raps

Thx mate !!!

Tom, I noticed Poseidon is creating a sublime-workspace file in my mission directory which is confusing SVN. Does it have to be there?

Are you planning some kind of svn sync system on Poseidon ?
Yes, it's planned but not before december.
Tom, I noticed Poseidon is creating a sublime-workspace file in my mission directory which is confusing SVN. Does it have to be there?
Weird. if you run the file named #Debug in the root folder then, it should be ok. Be aware, this will reset all your sessions (not projects but sessions)

Hey tom,

thx for this awesome editor, I'm a beginner with scripting and like it alot! :)

I was using Sublime a long time and I miss the package control and console. Do you think you can give me (us?) the possibility to add the package control for adding more plugins into Poseidon?

Tried to add the package control package manualy but i can't bring up the package list. :\

chears :)

...Do you think you can give me (us?) the possibility to add the package control for adding more plugins into Poseidon?

Tried to add the package control package manualy but i can't bring up the package list. :\

A LE (Lite Edition) is in development, but only the "scripting stuff" will be available (Hard to find some spare time ^^).
hey,

me too i like this idea!

(me too i am beginner in arma scripting)

This helps alot thank you

Glad it helps :)

Otherwise, an update of Poseidon will pop up this month (I hope next week but I prefer being realistic when I need to decide of a deadline), the main points are mainly about Windows 8 / Windows 2012 Server compatibility.

I've been using this for few weeks now, it's awesome. Though I'm missing auto complete for BIS_fnc functions, which the notepad++ plugin has. Have you thought about adding them to the auto complete?

Indeed, that's can be done easily but keep in mind there is a load of functions (hundreds), so, if you just type bis_fnc_, it'll let you lost :)

Tom,

Can we get more items in file> open recent. ?

It only has 8 lines. I'd like to see at least twice that.

Tanky -Paul-

Extract from the change log (morning's edits for the upcoming PE version)

@Xendance

ADDED: Auto completion for bis_fnc_* (+634 functions including Zeus DLC)

@Tankbuster

CHNGD: You can now open one of the 20 last opened files (was 8 before)

CHNGD: You can now open one of the 10 last opened folders (was 8 before)

I hope I meet your expectations!

Extract from the change log (morning's edits for the upcoming PE version)

@Xendance

ADDED: Auto completion for bis_fnc_* (+634 functions including Zeus DLC)

@Tankbuster

CHNGD: You can now open one of the 20 last opened files (was 8 before)

CHNGD: You can now open one of the 10 last opened folders (was 8 before)

I hope I meet your expectations!

Hmm, is it a nightly build? The nightly build page is password protected.

Very nice work on this editor Tom ! :bounce3: this editor is very useful for me ! ;)

Edited by [CSLA]LUKI
mistake

Excellent tool Tom, thanks for taking the time to develop it. 2 quick questions:

1. Is it possible to highlight the active tab better? In the "bis default" color scheme its very hard to see which tab is active at a glance. Perhaps change the tab color or the text color to something that contrasts more against the others?

2. Highlighting text within the script is also very difficult to see. The color variation is very subtle against the gray background.

I apologize for my middle-age eyes. They aren't what they used to be. ;)

@Xendance: Nop, Nightly is 0.63 whereas upcoming version is 0.64.

@Luki_M2K: Thanks!

@Sergeant Rock: Maybe something like this:

280_thumb_bis_3cc87b95bf455fc8.jpg

Tell me what range of color should be better, I'll do my best ;)

ps: Tips - In tabs, when a file was edited and not saved, a red circle is displayed instead of a grey cross next its name (name is displayed in orange).

Edited by tom_48_97
link

Im liking this so far, it took a min to realize I only needed to ctrl + to make text bigger.

its making things so much faster , I like notpad ++ but Poseidon is beating it down .

Im switching to Poseidon, sometimes I hate change (getting used to something eles)

but this is worth it.

thank you for awesome editor

man this has become my go to for arma3 editing. big thanks!