Sign in to follow this  
sporkface

Have Arma 3, is Arma 2 worth it?

Title says it all. I got Arma 3 and love it, now I'm wondering if Arma 2 would be worth it to buy. I want to play DayZ and other modes maybe some Co-Op and make more missions on more maps. are there good Public games? Or would I need to find a clan? How are the graphics compared to Arma 3?

A2 is o.k. graphics wise, but nothing like A3. However, if its a really realistic game your after, then A2 beats A3, though it needs to be modded (see sig). I would say its well worth getting A2CO (combined arms version). There is a huge and I mean huge, amount of content available for A2.:)

A2 is o.k. graphics wise, but nothing like A3. However, if its a really realistic game your after, then A2 beats A3, though it needs to be modded (see sig). I would say its well worth getting A2CO (combined arms version). There is a huge and I mean huge, amount of content available for A2.:)

I agree with Chris. The amount of content is immense. Take a look here.

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=files

A2CO (combined arms version)
Is ArmA 2 + Operation Arrowhead expansion.

If you click on the ArmA2 or Arrowhead icon you will find all community content that has been created since ArmA2 release then arrowhead which was a huge expansion with a lot of stuff added which was not available in ArmA 2.

I can't say anything about ArmA 3 because I don't own the game. But if you ask me A2CO is well worth it. I don't know if you are a steam user or not but ArmA 2 has the advantage that you are not forced to open a Steam account to play the game.

cheers :D

Right now, Arma 2 is better. It has far more content, even out of the box.

I don't know if this is important to you, but the ability to have two very different environments (desert and Eastern Europe) is a lot of fun. A huuuuge number of missions available, too.

To OP: The graphics are noticeably "bleh", but frankly with the All in Arma mod you can treat Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead as paid DLC content packs for Arma 3. :lol:

To OP: The graphics are noticeably "bleh", but frankly with the All in Arma mod you can treat Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead as paid DLC content packs for Arma 3. :lol:

It will take a lot of time before AIA is going to be finished and released for ArmA 3 so . . . well everybody has to make up his mind on his own.

It's already been publicly released despite being WIP enough for the basic function.

Arma 2 has loads of more content and gameplay options. Graphics are still decent with some tweaking. Player movement is awful compared to A3.

However, I believe the A2CO has more to offer than A3 at the moment. Two cents.

The above is more in line with what I'm thinking -- even if I consider them "paid DLC content packs for Arma 3" to be used with All in Arma, they are immeasurably HUGE in comparison to what's out there for Arma 3 right now content-wise.

My main concern is the multiplayer though, will there still be enough people playing months down the line to warrant me getting the game? Or will it just be private clans playing A2? Right now I'm not to jazzed about the lack of fluidity in infantry movement, but if there are more games where people work together instead of lonewolfing it or TK'ing that's a huge plus. And I really like the WWII mod I saw on the forums, is that a popular mod to use?

And I can use all the A2 stuff in A3? That's pretty cool.

How's the AI in Arma2? Do they do that thing where you can be sprinting and they'll headshot you from 600m? That's a big complaint from me about A3 cause it's so hard to get into a good firefight with the AI. I've spent hours in the editor trying to figure it out.

Sorry for all the questions just not familiar with this series.

It's really hard to tell for being honest. For sure ArmA 3 will be the main game which will be played in the future as soon as BIS gets their shit back together. The community normally moved from 1 game iteration to the next one. Few are left behind.

Best mp experience is when you are able to play with friends, pub servers have always been some kind of a mess. you are lucky if you can get teamwork on the pubs therefore the main ArmA player base are playing in clans or squads and most are looking for people to join to replenish their ranks.

Modded AI is great in ArmA2 the vanilla a bit less. ArmA 3 I can't tell. The ArmA series has always suffered numerous flaws it depends if you are able and willing to ignore them. Most of us do. I did until a few month ago. I see more or less the same problems as in Arm2 reading in the ArmA 3 section.

So it's up to you to decide in the end.

ArmA 3 is a fresh release in a year or so the usermade content will increase and you will have lot's of toys to play with. If the money doesn't hurt you go buy it . . . otherwise stick with ArmA 3.

cheers :D

Im returning to A2 after attempting to make A3 work. Just couldnt get past its flaws. A2 is still my favorite Arma series game.

In all honesty, if Teamplay is what you're looking for and you DON'T want to join a clan, UO is just about your only option.

Also, if you're new to the Arma series I gotta tell ya, Modding has been essential to the game-play experience since OFP, so you might want to experiment with what mod best suites you.

I also understand your frustration with the less than stellar Firefights, but again there are mods for that. Have a look at some of the mods around the forums/armaholic to intensify firefights without making the AI super soldiers.

If you're going to get Arma 2 I couldn't recommend ACE enough, it's one of those mods you wondered how you played without, it's that good.

I own both A2CO and A3 and in my oppinion Arma 2 is better in every aspect.