Tisor

Now with PhysX... Able to make articulated trailers?

Three months later and no more info about this than a "Assigned" ticket on the Feedback Tracker.. I think I'll be dropping the trailer models out...

Anyone has more info? Did I miss something on this?

Three months later and no more info about this than a "Assigned" ticket on the Feedback Tracker.. I think I'll be dropping the trailer models out...

Many tickets related to PhysX are in the same state :(

Would very much like to know the same thing for trailers and lifting.

i'm going to throw my uneducated info into the mix - and i've never used vbs, so this is kinda thought/theory -

first, i noticed in the exe beyond just connectionParent & connectionChild, there is also: connectionParentDir, connectionChildDir, connectionParentAxis, connectionChildAxis which are for the createJointExt (http://resources.bisimulations.com/wiki/createJointExt) command - also in the exe are references to the createJointExt joint types: 6DOFJoint, DistanceJoint, RevoluteJoint, SphereJoint. Missing is coupleType[], and clearly createJointExt itself.

with all that present (and the absence of coupleType), maybe the command we should be requesting be included in arma3 is createJointExt as it sounds quite powerful, in that we can do plenty more than just trailers

--

and ill also throw out this question? is it possible to leverage the ragdoll skeletons to make a joint between a truck and trailer 'limp'? further more, can't i just attachto a truck/trailer using a dead players head and feet? :D

• Like 1

maybe the command we should be requesting be included in arma3 is createJointExt as it sounds quite powerful, in that we can do plenty more than just trailers

Dead man swinging from a tree! :)

I like the idea of having to use a ragdoll soldier as a working joint for a trailer ! Back to the good old days of 'drawing and quartering!'

+1 to that. Anyone tested?

+1 > If no headway is gained on this by the new year, we may need to form a new project to solve the problem.

Well its in the code for ARMA 3.... But not enabled so I guess we sit back and wait

if (_followTowingVeh &&                                                                                                 // something is towing us
   FutureVisualState().Speed().SquareSize() > 0.00001f &&                                                                                  // we are moving
   !((PilotUnit() && PilotUnit()->IsAnyPlayer()) ||                                                                    // we are not a player
   (_attachedNonPhysXVeh && _attachedNonPhysXVeh->PilotUnit() && _attachedNonPhysXVeh->PilotUnit()->IsAnyPlayer())))   // or in attached non-physX vehicle isn't a player
 {

And what about the workaround using the rope object in very short length?

I have tried this and the vehicle being towed gets dragged literally. The hand break is on and it spasticates all over the place and rolls on corners.

However works really nice in water pulling another boat lol

There was something for ARMA 2 made but in MP was dreadful

Can't we simulate a driver, like an invisible AI so the handbrake is off?

Can't we simulate a driver, like an invisible AI so the handbrake is off?

There is a very long conversation about just that subject in this thread, and I don't believe it's possible.

was gonna make a thread about this. articulated trailers/trucks would be a huge addition to the game especially with real world content. if this were possible you could reload scuds with a zil131, and to see civilian tractor-trailers driving on the roads would be cool. someone could even develop an advanced mission where supplies are delivered to NATO depots by civilian logistics contractors, like what was happening in iraq during the 2003 conflict.

just thought id post this video not sure if its been posted yet but its doing my head in, As it's the kind what were all after and trying to do Also did anyone make any progress on this topic yet or am I digging up dead post?

any way here the video in A3

Edited by Falcos

just thought id post this video not sure if its been posted yet but its doing my head in, As it's the kind what were all after and trying to do Also did anyone make any progress on this topic yet or am I digging up dead post?

any way here the video in A3

I asked Jonzie and he told me that has been done using pin and hole method. Nothing new. When it is far from distance, the trailers will fall as the geometry dissapear..

hmm.. a mix between my Version and Jonzies could make the change.

Is there an option to make in the trailer model a group and in this group is a transparent ... idk ... "ball" and this ball have two axes (vertical, horizontal) ?!

Or maybe the trailer as a passenger and then a part of the trailer as turret ... ?!

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Cars_Config_Guidelines#Firing_from_vehicles

Thinking outside of the box...

A tricycle is kind of like a unicycle towing a trailer. Maybe if we reconsider a trailer as a FWD tricycle, it's a good place to start? By that, I mean the front "wheel" would be under where the hitch is connected to the vehicle, and its steering axis would be right there. You'd have to make new trailers special with an invisible front wheel in the memory - probably not possible with existing vehicles. The front "steer" wheel should always be parallel to and centered with the towing vehicle. This could possibly allow jackknifing and other real trailer events.  It would have to dynamically inherit power, brake, and acceleration from its towing vehicle, and apply the power through the front wheel.

I'm probably missing some key factors, but hopefully getting the ball rolling on some kind of solution.

On 5.3.2018 at 5:05 AM, scotg said:

Thinking outside of the box...

A tricycle is kind of like a unicycle towing a trailer. Maybe if we reconsider a trailer as a FWD tricycle, it's a good place to start? By that, I mean the front "wheel" would be under where the hitch is connected to the vehicle, and its steering axis would be right there. You'd have to make new trailers special with an invisible front wheel in the memory - probably not possible with existing vehicles. The front "steer" wheel should always be parallel to and centered with the towing vehicle. This could possibly allow jackknifing and other real trailer events.  It would have to dynamically inherit power, brake, and acceleration from its towing vehicle, and apply the power through the front wheel.

I'm probably missing some key factors, but hopefully getting the ball rolling on some kind of solution.

You mean that system: 

Its sad to see that we become with the Encore Update only trailer whit radar and sam systems without any trailer function (static object)

https://arma3.com/news/arma-3-roadmap-2018#.WyrRnmZAuUk