Kris470

Error: Battleye client not responding

I have emailed this to bistudio support, figured i would post it on here too...

I have been having issues with Arma 3 for the last month and a half, since an update.

Every time i join a server i get kicked by Battleye, with the error: "Battleye client not responding."

I have gone through every forum thread i can find to resolve this issue, with no success. (modem settings, verify game cache, uninstall/reinstall to name a few)

I went to the extreme of uninstalling Arma 3 from the control panel, manually searching for and deleting any remaining files on the computer (there were a lot... the uninstaller was crap and left residual files everywhere), i then manually deleted any files relating to Arma 3 from the registry, uninstalled steam (i then looked for any residual files, and to my surprise steam actually uninstalled and left no traces).

After all that, i then downloaded the steam installer fresh from their website, installed it, and updated it. I then downloaded Arma 3 and installed it again via steam.

I joined a game that following night and it worked without issues. After closing the game, Arma updated again. I hadn't shut my computer down since then, nothing on my computer has changed, no firewall, nothing... Now when i join any battleye enabled server, i get kicked with the same error: "Battleye client not responding."

I would like bistudio to provide a solution to this issue please, or my money back. I am out of patience.

I also don't understand why you would put so much effort into developing this game, only to taint it with the half assed, outsourced, waste of time and effort anti cheat "solution" that is Battleye. (Which doesn't even stop the real hackers anyway...)

I have had more issues with Battleye and Punkbuster in my history with gaming, than any amount of game based bugs or glitches. They are useless at stopping real hackers. Granted they do catch idiots who don't know how to hack (and nothing more), but they completely destroy the experience of countless innocent gamers like myself. Judging by the quantity of Battleye issues scattered through forums, its obvious that the software does more harm than good.

Battleye and Punkbuster are to hackers what a bazooka is for fly swatting.

Sure, you may get some of them, but your bringing the house down with them.

At least i haven't had any issues with VAC... That one actually works silently in the background. As it should.

welcome to my problem, i even formated my pc with a clean installation of windows 7 and the problem is still here. Also the game was working fine until the official release (i have it since Alpha) . I uploaded a video with that bug/problem thing

I also don't understand why you would put so much effort into developing this game, only to taint it with the half assed, outsourced, waste of time and effort anti cheat "solution" that is Battleye. (Which doesn't even stop the real hackers anyway...)

I have had more issues with Battleye and Punkbuster in my history with gaming, than any amount of game based bugs or glitches. They are useless at stopping real hackers. Granted they do catch idiots who don't know how to hack (and nothing more), but they completely destroy the experience of countless innocent gamers like myself. Judging by the quantity of Battleye issues scattered through forums, its obvious that the software does more harm than good.

Battleye and Punkbuster are to hackers what a bazooka is for fly swatting.

Sure, you may get some of them, but your bringing the house down with them.

At least i haven't had any issues with VAC... That one actually works silently in the background. As it should.

Except that VAC hardly does anything and is quite ineffective. The vast majority of users do not have any problems with BE at all.

Anyway, do you seriously expect any help after coming here and just throwing insults around? If you do please tell me what sort of router you are using.

Except that VAC hardly does anything and is quite ineffective. The vast majority of users do not have any problems with BE at all.

Anyway, do you seriously expect any help after coming here and just throwing insults around? If you do please tell me what sort of router you are using.

BE and PB are both just as inneffective. The point i was making is that VAC at least doesnt cause issues for a large amount of users.

All it takes is good program hiding software and hacks can be run without being detected. The software works by hiding the hacks folders/files and running services.

I know this because ive done it. FYI, i have always dispised hackers and this was more of a once off self education venture, than me being a "typical hacker". Since then I have also known what subtle behaviour to look for in identifying hackers (its not always blatantly obvious), and it has also lead to me kicking a member from one of my clans for hacking as i recognised the signs when no one else did. Turned out i was right too because he took his anger out on me with them before being banned...

As for your point that the "vast majority" of users do not have problems, that tends to be the case for most "problems" otherwise if it were effecting the majority of users it wouldnt be a "problem" it would be a "system incident". The fact it doesnt effect the majority, does not excuse it to a point of unimportance or disregard.

My frustration isnt directed at anyone here, it is directed at the implementation of battleye. Im not here "throwing insults around", im stating that there is issues with battleye, and has been for years. Its an issue which the developers need to fix.

Also, please dont interprit this as me having a go at you either... I thank you for any input you may have in helping with this.

Regarding your question on my router, i have actually tried 2 different modems and the issue occurs on both.

I have also tried both pppoa and pppoe protocols with LLC encapsulation (as suggested as a fix on multiple forums), no difference. Both modems were running the latest firmware. I am considering trying very old firmware to see if that helps, i will post the outcome once ive tried.

Everything else has been working fine, its only Battleye thats playing up.

The only real issue with troubleshooting issues like this on a forum, is that any solution to the problem isnt ever actually a real "solution". Its a "workaround" fix to a problem that shouldnt exist (or should be resolved at the root cause) in the first place.

The heart of these issues still lie with battleye, and it shouldnt be up to the customers who baught the game to fix bistudios problems for them.

Thats technical support / customer service, basic common sense.

Cheers

• Like 1

My frustration isnt directed at anyone here, it is directed at the implementation of battleye. Im not here "throwing insults around", im stating that there is issues with battleye, and has been for years. Its an issue which the developers need to fix.

Could you please tell me what those issues are that haven't been fixed for years? Just to clarify, BE is compatible with all hardware, the problem is that certain routers can't handle ArmA's unusually great amount of network traffic and hence "lock up" (due to some sort of flood protection/prevention), which eventually causes the BE kick. So BE isn't actually at fault here.

Regarding your question on my router, i have actually tried 2 different modems and the issue occurs on both.

I have also tried both pppoa and pppoe protocols with LLC encapsulation (as suggested as a fix on multiple forums), no difference. Both modems were running the latest firmware. I am considering trying very old firmware to see if that helps, i will post the outcome once ive tried.

Everything else has been working fine, its only Battleye thats playing up.

Again, could you tell me what sort of routers/modems you are using? Also, are you kicked even when just staying in the lobby?

Could you please tell me what those issues are that haven't been fixed for years? Just to clarify, BE is compatible with all hardware, the problem is that certain routers can't handle ArmA's unusually great amount of network traffic and hence "lock up" (due to some sort of flood protection/prevention), which eventually causes the BE kick. So BE isn't actually at fault here.

Specifically, the Battleye client not responding error seems to be the most common...

There were a lot of forums i looked through in searching for a solution to this issue, some of them were dated back to ~2011, and the solutions were working for some people but not others. There are a lot of upset customers out there... All you need to do is look.

Seems to be a huge issue in the DayZ community too.

There's a comment from Deathnick above, who also has the issue. There are other threads on this forum form people who have been getting the issue too...

To blame the hardware on the users end is just passing the buck. If battleye/bistudio are aware of a cause for the issues and yet its still occurring then i cant help but to wonder why they feel its not their problem? Its their product they are selling to people...

People shouldn't have to try different modems and firmware, or re install the game repeatedly or any of the other extremes people go to just to get the game in a working state.

If my modem was locking up, it would show in my network usage monitor which constantly pings my isp.

There would be a trend in the ping responses, and packet loss.

Also, blowing away all traces of the game and re installing it wouldn't have fixed the issue for me, (for the short time period it did anyway...) as this has nothing to do with the modem.

The game was working fine after a clean install, until it was patched again and the issue returned. You cant say that's a modem issue.

Again, could you tell me what sort of routers/modems you are using? Also, are you kicked even when just staying in the lobby?

Issue occurs after receiving mission file.

The modems used were both IINet (My ISP) branded. Models are "Bob" and "Bob2".

There are some forums threads i found with people having the same issues with the Bob2 modem. The fix for most of them was updating the firmware, however i have already been running the latest version that they had been installing to fix the problems... I re flashed the latest firmware anyway but it made no difference.

This was why i said i would try flashing old firmware (the version people were having issues with...), it was the only other thing i can try...

Here's the interesting part... They had the exact same issue and the exact same modem, they flashed from the old firmware to the new, it fixed the problem...

Then there's my case... I had the new firmware they were flashing to, and i flashed to the old one they had problems with... The game is now working for me. For the time being, Battleye is not kicking me.

So, the same hardware in both cases...

If im running the same hardware as them, and im running the firmware that did NOT work for them, and it works for me... And they are running the firmware that did NOT work for me, and it works for them... Its not the modem that's the issue. Its not the firmware that's the issue. Its something else.

There are also forum threads with people using Netgear modems who are having the same problems, and flashing different firmwares seems to fix it for them too.

I wouldn't have a clue whats causing the issue, i don't do programming. But all the evidence points to it being something between the software and the modem. Whether its the game or Battleye is out of my league to answer.

If your the Battleye Developer, hopefully you can do something with this info and not just brush it off to one side and mark the post as "solved"...

Specifically, the Battleye client not responding error seems to be the most common...

There were a lot of forums i looked through in searching for a solution to this issue, some of them were dated back to ~2011, and the solutions were working for some people but not others. There are a lot of upset customers out there... All you need to do is look.

Seems to be a huge issue in the DayZ community too.

There's a comment from Deathnick above, who also has the issue. There are other threads on this forum form people who have been getting the issue too...

To blame the hardware on the users end is just passing the buck. If battleye/bistudio are aware of a cause for the issues and yet its still occurring then i cant help but to wonder why they feel its not their problem? Its their product they are selling to people...

People shouldn't have to try different modems and firmware, or re install the game repeatedly or any of the other extremes people go to just to get the game in a working state.

It's not exactly a "huge" issue, but believe me, I'm trying to solve all issues regardless of whether only one person has it or many. And yes, this has been investigated thoroughly. The problem is that this is unfixable because it's hardware-related. If your hardware has problems dealing with the amount of network packets in this game, unfortunately there is nothing I can do to fix this.

Issue occurs after receiving mission file.

The modems used were both IINet (My ISP) branded. Models are "Bob" and "Bob2".

There are some forums threads i found with people having the same issues with the Bob2 modem. The fix for most of them was updating the firmware, however i have already been running the latest version that they had been installing to fix the problems... I re flashed the latest firmware anyway but it made no difference.

This was why i said i would try flashing old firmware (the version people were having issues with...), it was the only other thing i can try...

Here's the interesting part... They had the exact same issue and the exact same modem, they flashed from the old firmware to the new, it fixed the problem...

Then there's my case... I had the new firmware they were flashing to, and i flashed to the old one they had problems with... The game is now working for me. For the time being, Battleye is not kicking me.

So, the same hardware in both cases...

If im running the same hardware as them, and im running the firmware that did NOT work for them, and it works for me... And they are running the firmware that did NOT work for me, and it works for them... Its not the modem that's the issue. Its not the firmware that's the issue. Its something else.

Your modem/router is indeed the problem here. If this was a BE-related problem you would get kicked in the lobby as well, but you don't. The fact that you only get kicked when joining the game shows that this is related to the great amount of packets being sent and received (post-lobby) causing the game's connection to lock up. Yes, your ISP fixed the problem in the past, but now it seems to have returned. I can't tell if it's an issue on their side or a problem with your router (or both), but something is definitely wrong and only they can fix this.

It's not exactly a "huge" issue, but believe me, I'm trying to solve all issues regardless of whether only one person has it or many. And yes, this has been investigated thoroughly. The problem is that this is unfixable because it's hardware-related. If your hardware has problems dealing with the amount of network packets in this game, unfortunately there is nothing I can do to fix this.

Its not caused by hardware, ive proved that by using the same hardware without issues, by erasing all traces of the game and battleye and reinstalling. My modem wasnt having problems dealing with anything then, so why is it that the game worked perfectly fine after that until steam updated it again and the issues returned? How can you still think thats caused by hardware? Its obviously a software level issue. While i agree that the modem and firmware are obviously somehow related, its not consistant with a hardware or firmware level root cause of the issue. Key words there being, "root cause".

Your modem/router is indeed the problem here. If this was a BE-related problem you would get kicked in the lobby as well, but you don't. The fact that you only get kicked when joining the game shows that this is related to the great amount of packets being sent and received (post-lobby) causing the game's connection to lock up. Yes, your ISP fixed the problem in the past, but now it seems to have returned. I can't tell if it's an issue on their side or a problem with your router (or both), but something is definitely wrong and only they can fix this.

Again, my modem is not the issue. My ISP hasnt "fixed" the problem... They have had nothing to do with the problem. Its not their responsibility to fix game developers problems.

The issue isnt caused by my quality of service, or my modem. Ive proved that already as mentioned above, and also with the examples provided in my last post.

For a developer to suggest that the only solution is for their customers to buy another modem, just because their software is "special", is rediculous.

Its no wonder why people pirate games...

Edited by Kris470

if it's not hardware problem then you maybe installed some Antivirus, security suite or software firewall or changed some network layer settings in OS ?

anyway what is author of BattlEye trying to explain is, that this is issue of traffic from You to server or back ... either traffic shaping, filtering, DDOS and flood protection or similar

if it's not hardware problem then you maybe installed some Antivirus, security suite or software firewall or changed some network layer settings in OS ?

anyway what is author of BattlEye trying to explain is, that this is issue of traffic from You to server or back ... either traffic shaping, filtering, DDOS and flood protection or similar

Hey,

I actually uninstalled my antivirus thinking it was possible that its firewall could be interfering. Made no difference. Its not shaping or filtering, and ddos is pretty far fetched... That would be causing much more issues than just a Battleye kick anyway.

I haven't changed anything in the OS, and the point I've been making is that nothing had changed at a hardware level or with any software other than the game. I got the game working by uninstalling it all and manually removing leftover residual files, then re installing it. The fact it worked then rules out any issues with my OS, windows firewall, other programs installed, or anything to do with my modem whether it be hardware or firmware... The game worked.

Then steam updated the game and it broke again. Thus my argument, is that its something at the game level, something software that's triggering the problem.

I understand what he is trying to say. I'm saying by all laws of logical thought process and basic troubleshooting, hes wrong.

Be my guest BI Developer.

i tried to reinstall the game,

redownload it from steam,

manually install battleye,

disabled firewall,antivirus

launch the game as administrator,

forwarded ports,

tried different routers,firmware and shit.

I even went as far to format my computer with a clean installation of windows 7 and installing only arma 3.

As i said i was able to play since alpha, and after the official release it does not work, i havent changed anything at my computer (hardware,drivers,software or so).

And no my computer is not possesed by some demonic lord or something.

Hmm. and I came here looking for answers.

I have a new Win 7 64-bit gaming rig and just installed ARMA 2, OA and Dayz EPOCH because some friends talked me into it.  I'm having this same "random" disconnect issue.  I am not at all against blaming my ISP or the modem they supplied, but I can't do anything about that.

But I must respond - "Unusually great amount of traffic" - If by that if you mean that ARMA is a horrible MMOFPS then I agree with you.  I can't believe that people actually pay money for this "game".   If you want a lesson on a properly coded and optimized MMO game I suggest that you take a look at Planetside 2 which has massive simultaneous battles with hundreds of players in the same battle at the same time.  The ARMA engine is crap.  I play PS2 without any problems on the same rig, modem and ISP as I am with ARMA.  Let me know when you have a "fix" (I won't be waiting).

Hmm. and I came here looking for answers.

I have a new Win 7 64-bit gaming rig and just installed ARMA 2, OA and Dayz EPOCH because some friends talked me into it.  I'm having this same "random" disconnect issue.  I am not at all against blaming my ISP or the modem they supplied, but I can't do anything about that.

But I must respond - "Unusually great amount of traffic" - If by that if you mean that ARMA is a horrible MMOFPS then I agree with you.  I can't believe that people actually pay money for this "game".   If you want a lesson on a properly coded and optimized MMO game I suggest that you take a look at Planetside 2 which has massive simultaneous battles with hundreds of players in the same battle at the same time.  The ARMA engine is crap.  I play PS2 without any problems on the same rig, modem and ISP as I am with ARMA.  Let me know when you have a "fix" (I won't be waiting).

Its not an MMO. Its a tactical shooter with (not very well optimised) MP. If you play small scale MP missions you'll be fine. If you put 500+ units on a map with 50+ players and expect good performance you're a bigger idiot than those that consider ArmA an MMO...

I have to agree that this is i no way related to a modem or a router. I can play every day then all of a sudden I can't log into a server. I look time and time again for a fix, make sure battleye is updated, reindtall ARMA 3, router/modem reset., Nothing I find anywhere fixes the problem. Then within a week I'll retry and mi back in. No updates or changes to the game of to my PC. I can play every other game out there but the one I want to play.

The error doesn't say "Router Error", it's Battleye!

Three times in the last few months this happens then goes away . . .

I have the same ... take be.jpg

Yesterday I was playing, 

today I cannot,

I've done every steps from google and BE FAQ and nothing. My router is free of any restrictions and he want install upgrades without me. 

:angry: I cannot resolve this...

Same for me.  It says, "BattlEye Service startup failed."  Multiple tries, no joy. WTF is going on?

I do nothing, my computer was ON all night because I download something...

today I want to open Arma 3 and ... fu** - the same... oh, no, NO - it's working without any problem.

Tried again this morning to simply launch but it failed, so then deleted the folder at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\BattleEye  (suggested in the BattleEye FAQ) and relaunched... worked!

Think they had some issues with the service updating feature last night.

I'm also having the same problem as well. I tried all the solutions given in Battleye's FAQ, but none of them work. Battleye has started to fail since the last update. I was able to play yesterday, but now I can't.

I come up with the following ....

Battleeye%20Problem.png

I can exclude the program from being checked, but should I? Norton has never alerted on Battleeye before now. I originally ran the ArmA 3 exe and came up with a Norton alert. So  I did a Steam integrity check where it found 1 file that had to be replaced. Then I ran ArmA 3 exe again and it, Norton, alerted again. So I deleted the folder you indicated above and did another Steam integrity check and Steam replaced the folder. However I got another Norton alert when I ran ArmA 3 again. I can exclude Battleeye from Norton checking it but my question is WHY it's alerting on it.

Chief

Same here, every single time I have to restart my pc to try to play the game.

Well I found out that with Norton you can turn on SILENT  mode temporarily (it says for an hour) and then BE will update and launch just fine. This was yesterday and I just tried it and had no problem so it seems. So I suspect, at least for me, when ever I get a BE failed to launch on update I will drop into SILENT mode and let BE updaye itself. So far I've got no alerts from Norton so here's hoping.

Chief

Well I found out that with Norton you can turn on SILENT  mode temporarily (it says for an hour) and then BE will update and launch just fine. This was yesterday and I just tried it and had no problem so it seems. So I suspect, at least for me, when ever I get a BE failed to launch on update I will drop into SILENT mode and let BE updaye itself. So far I've got no alerts from Norton so here's hoping.

Chief

I'm using Avast and turn on silent mode did nothing, keep getting the same error.

I'm using Avast and turn on silent mode did nothing, keep getting the same error.

Yea unfortunately one persons "WORK AROUND" is not everyone's solution. I feel for you. This needs to be addressed by someone.

Chief