Sign in to follow this  
pipin78

The Mi 48 Kajman

Since it was relased in the beta this gunship has bugged me the most. Not because it's a fictional helicopter but because of the cockpit modeling..

At first I've noticed the apache MFDs.. then I realized: It's an actual apache cockpit!! those russians stole it!!! XD

Look..

mi-48 pilot

2h4ygib.jpg

arma 2 apache pilot

2u78zgj.jpg

mi-48 gunner:

2d0gx88.jpg

arma 2 apache gunner:

2iqn62h.jpg

Even the exterior model has some problems:

2iuqir8.jpg

Since in the dev branch the DEVs started fixing the copy-pasted tank gunner view can BI consider adjusting this cockpit?

This is a Mi-28 cockpit that can be used as ispiration:

503cz7.jpg

more pics here: (russian)

http://topwar.ru/5467-letnyy-centr-v-torzhke-mi-28n.html

At the very least change the MFDs and fix the ugly side textures!!

I really hoped the copied cockpits were placeholders. It's sad to see that this was all kept the same in the final game. That is seriously poor imo, as is some of the other detail in the arma 3 cockpits. Looks like for some of them they just couldn't be bothered. Every time I come on this forum recently I just get reminded of something else that's bad about this game :/

Also I'd expect the same copy/paste job with the cockpits for these new planes they're adding if the rest of the game is anything to go by.

Edited by clydefrog

Good find, I haven't even realized ( I'm not specially fan of gunships ). What is a bit weird, is why didn't they copy/paste the Hind or the Ka-52 from A2? Uhm...

BIS, do you really think of all of this copying and pasting is satisfactory? Are you guys all fine with this and think it's alright? Are there any plans to eventually replace all of this copy pasted content with new things or is it all staying like it is? I can't believe some of this stuff, using an apache cockpit for the Mi-48 is terrible but the sad part is it's not even the worst. I really hope this is all temporary due to a lack of time but we've not been told that it is so I guess this is how it will remain. It would be nice to know either way and if it is going to remain that way the reasons why.

Edited by clydefrog

Good find, I haven't even realized ( I'm not specially fan of gunships ). What is a bit weird, is why didn't they copy/paste the Hind or the Ka-52 from A2? Uhm...

Those wont fit in the exterior model I suppose..

This is the new BIS easter eggs system, instead of finding hidden ingame stuff you can now search for copy pasted stuff.

I've got an amazing idea, why not create a new cockpit for a new aircraft!? I think I better let them know of this amazing idea I've had. But seriously, since they have done this with for example the Ghost Hawk I am hoping this could be down to a lack of time to implement it so far, but my head tells me it's staying like it is and they just haven't made and have no plans to make a new cockpit for it. I hope I am wrong but this game involves a lot of recycling in almost all departments.

Edited by clydefrog

Im not happy to see another copy/paste vehicle.... :/

Hopefully those are just placeholder until future updates.

Wow, that is really, really bad form.

If you must copy and paste, at least use the cockpit from a CIS helo :confused:

Wonder how the fanboys try to explain that away.

Man Im seriously pissed, its now two times in a week I got screwed over by a company releasing a Beta version as a "release version".

First BIS now Mechwarrior Online -_-

Oh hey people are finally talking about that thing I was railing against since we first saw the kajiman in dev build, I wonder if now people won't argue with me when I say the thing is part apache as well.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9821

I've noticed that too back in the beta but I thought it was just a placeholder.. now the relase has come and it's still there.. they should at least fix the textures and MFDs.

I really do not understand why BI make this type of choices.. If you are going to recicle models at least do it well!!

Edited by Pipin78

This is what happens when you make up futuristic vehicles and guns. They could have modeled Mi-28 and nobody would care.

They probably didnt had any good mi28 cockpit sources and wanted to save a time , so they used arma 2 apache cockpit - still wondering why the apache one heh

This is what happens when you make up futuristic vehicles and guns. They could have modeled Mi-28 and nobody would care.

They still could have modeled a mi-28N cockpit for it. Reference it's not that hard to find and we do not pretend DCS level of fidelity..

Even then, a fantasy and future setting offers great artistic freedom. They could have gone ape and used the large single display screen technology for the aircraft, with a portion of it being horizon, climb, etc while the center screen would have a BIG PIP image and there could be several smaller clusters of whatevers they wanted. Or it could be similar to the Mi-28N but with far bigger display screens similar to the SU-35, it's the future! Have fun, go wild, your imagination is the limit, it didn't have to be real.

I understand it takes a great amount of time to model, unwrap, create textures, bake ambient occlusion, create normal map, create specular, config rvmat, define animated selections, set axis points, and config but it just looks soo cheap and even worse out of place when you use a western cockpit in an eastern helicopter.

Even then, a fantasy and future setting offers great artistic freedom. They could have gone ape and used the large single display screen technology for the aircraft, with a portion of it being horizon, climb, etc while the center screen would have a BIG PIP image and there could be several smaller clusters of whatevers they wanted. Or it could be similar to the Mi-28N but with far bigger display screens similar to the SU-35, it's the future! Have fun, go wild, your imagination is the limit, it didn't have to be real.

I understand it takes a great amount of time to model, unwrap, create textures, bake ambient occlusion, create normal map, create specular, config rvmat, define animated selections, set axis points, and config but it just looks soo cheap and even worse out of place when you use a western cockpit in an eastern helicopter.

I agree. They are professionals "it's time consuming" is not an excuse. They could have started with the apache cockpit and modify it so much that it will not be recognizable..

... it's the future! Have fun, go wild, your imagination is the limit, it didn't have to be real.

That is the problem, they can put whatever they want. They even can say Russia bought Comanche cockpit display in a big gun swap in 2026, where everybody changed gear with each other, so in that universe Arma3 is very authentic.

A new low.

:dead:

Edited by wgaf

It takes a lot for me to complain about BIS as I admire what they are trying to do but this disgusts me. Mostly because this chopper was the first chopper to be leaked way way back when we were all on that big teaser trail trying to guess what they were up to. How many years ago was that? BIS what the hell have you been doing for those years?? Making Altis yes maybe, but surely not the whole team. This is not quality over quantity, this reeks of poor decision making & poor quality control. Now please save some credibility by making a new cockpit. You managed them for arma 2 when you had a smaller team.

What is very dissapointing to me is that I paid in the Alpha for a game that I supposed that would gave me much more. Look at the release. I just cannot play it because of performance issues, even in low with a PC beyond the recomended specs and in the other hand copied stuff.

Im really dissapointed with the game, even if millions or trillions of ARMA fanboys say that im wrong.

This is sad :| The textures are also quite bad and no attempt was made to add some extra details with normal mapping and stuff. To be honest, I think the best "cockpit" we have right now is probably in the Offroad..