Sign in to follow this  
brainslush

[WIP] AHFM - Advanced Helicopter Flight Model

AHFM - Advanced Helicopter Flight Model

It's a pity that BIS hasn't yet managed to include the RTD of TOH into Arma 3.

So I gathered some information and started programming an addon which is designed to make flying helicopters more realistic. Following features are planned so far:

• helicopters are effected by wind ✓
  • gusts are more realistic ✓
  • raising or lowering the collective causes the helicopter to counter ( slightly rotate).
  • Wind synchronization between clients
  • vortex ring state or settling with power
  • retreating blade stall
  • ground effects
  • mountains influence wind
  • if I find the time and a hook: a panel for battery, fuel and engine startup

Soon I will provide you with some videos. So far I have managed to program the main part of the first point. It still needs some tuning but some results are already visible.

Edited by brainslush

Wish you the best of luck and hopes of success! IF you do manage to pull it off then it'll be a MUST for any heli enthusiast.

:clap: :thumbs-up:

Sounds great, looking forward to see more!

Honestly, if setPos and getPos weren't that buggy and laggy this project would be done in no time. Sadly setVelocityTransformation isn't any better. Just to give you some insight what I'm doing right now: Programming the acceleration due to wind and gusts was done in no time. The actual problem is the constant wind. The absence of the proper usefulness of setpos makes it kind of hard to simulate constant wind. I probably will have to use a ruse to make the pilot believe that he's flying in constant wind.

The perfect way would be if I could find a way to create a double which isn't effected by wind and uses the same user input as the original. The double would be a great reference for speed and position.

So far. Soon there will be more.

Edited by brainslush

AHFM - Advanced Helicopter Flight Model

[*]raising or lowering the collective causes the helicopter to counter ( slightly rotate).

This would be well implemented on a helicopter like the MH/AH-9.

However, aircraft like the "Ghosthawk" have mixing units that input tail rotor adjustments that counteract any increased or decreased torque caused by the changes in collective.

Either way this is an amazing idea, I've always wanted a more realistic way of flying aircraft based on real life restrictions (engine torque limits, mechanical limits, engine hot starts).

That's just me though, I love helicopters...

This would be well implemented on a helicopter like the MH/AH-9.

However, aircraft like the "Ghosthawk" have mixing units that input tail rotor adjustments that counteract any increased or decreased torque caused by the changes in collective.

Either way this is an amazing idea, I've always wanted a more realistic way of flying aircraft based on real life restrictions (engine torque limits, mechanical limits, engine hot starts).

That's just me though, I love helicopters...

It's not just you buddy... I love helicopters aswell...

What? You mean the wind hasn't been pushing my help across the sky? it's been my crappy flying all along?

What? You mean the wind hasn't been pushing my help across the sky? it's been my crappy flying all along?

Unfortunately yes my friend

"raising or lowering the collective causes the helicopter to counter ( slightly rotate)."

That's something that will definitely screw people up for a bit. When I was still in the army, I was able to go in the apache simulator...the whole giving it some pedal while taking off through me off a lot. I crashed a bunch lol

Oh man, I cannot wait or all of this to come into play, it sounds awesome! I've put a ton of time into getting flying down and I've got it good enough that I want to invest in a good HOTAS and rudder pedals finally. This just makes me want it even more.

"raising or lowering the collective causes the helicopter to counter ( slightly rotate)."

That's something that will definitely screw people up for a bit. When I was still in the army, I was able to go in the apache simulator...the whole giving it some pedal while taking off through me off a lot. I crashed a bunch lol

That's fuckin awesome :P

That definately sounds promising, one of the things that first threw me off in TKOH but learned to love it for some strange reason, any chance that the amount of yaw will also be influenced by the amount of collective? Leading to sudden, violent changes causing the tail to swing without pedal input?

Hi brainlush,

I did some FM helicopter editing for TKOH and just purchased ARMA 3

Why do you say Arma 3 doesn't use RLib ? by unpacking the files in air_f.pbo i can still find the rotor lib configuration files like Light-GenHeli600-DesktopSim.xml and such, so I think HelicopterX probably still uses rotorlib...

anyway I am quite experienced in Helicopter FM, let me know if you need help...

bye

Fred

fred64 love what you did with take on, hope you get involved with arma 3.

brainlush, enlist this man.

if you can get the choppers here modeled to the same degree as those in DCS I will be amazed.

Raising collective incurs extra yaw, applying counter torque with the tail rotor to keep straight incurs lateral drift, countering this with the cyclic requires some extra collective andsoforth andsoforth.

None of this auto-hover bullcrap, maintaining a hover should be a delicate dance between collective, pedals and cyclic.