Sign in to follow this  
Zhenpo

Why are mission Devs so exclusive with they're missions and mods.

I was just wondering why the teams developing these missions/addons/mods are so exclusive with they're stuff? They seem not to want the community at large to host they're stuff unless you gain specific permission and they install it on your server for you. I understand that they're developing and testing but the best way to test is by letting the community at it and getting feedback from many different communities and people instead of loading it on your servers and forcing people to play on your servers just to play a specific mission that they like. This definitively does not work well especially with large and medium gaming communities who run they're own servers to recruit, hold events etc. I'm repetitively new to Arma series and how addons and stuff work but I played Counter-Strike 1.6 and with the Amxmod system and all the devs, I never seen anyone in that community be exclusive with they're stuff and the community worked great. It seems in this Arma dev community some of the dev's work against each other like they're competing instead of working together to make great missions/mods/addons for the community. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Which missions are you talking about?

Only conflicts I have seen with sharing missions is with Life variants and perhaps some DayZ ones.

So they can ensure the quality of them, a lot of the complaints about performance are due to people porting missions from ARMA 2, or from Stratis to Altis with little-to-no optimization. This in-turn reflects badly on that mission, even if that version of the mission was never authorized by the original creator.

The guys at a3wasteland.com seem confident they can sort out FPS problems with hard work, time and intelligent scripting, which is probably correct. But everyone has been releasing their missions whilst still in the "testing" phase and rushing to beat out other popular missions, as a result I have a server list full of buggy, barely working missions. This is not BIS' fault at all, I've been working on an MP mission since alpha and it won't be complete for months yet, so it makes me wonder how others are already into their fifth or sixth "release version."

Never meant that it was BIS's fault, and I'm talking about a SA Matra's wasteland and a few other Wasteland ones, as well as this Life one http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162249-From-the-creators-of-Stratis-Life-ArmA-3-Life It just boggles my mind I've never seen Dev's who are so uptight with they're work. Releasing your work for testing while its still in the testing phase isn't a release in of itself, its giving it to the community for testing to get a larger feedback spread. True it causes a list full of servers with buggy missions but that's the whole point, people who play these mods will usually come back and give feed back on whats running right or wrong. And the people hosting this missions should include in the server name which version they're running so people know whats still in development etc.

they can sort out FPS problems with hard work, time and intelligent scripting, which is probably correct.

I agree with this, rushing into releasing stuff just to get content out doesn't work.

... I've been working on an MP mission since alpha and it won't be complete for months yet, so it makes me wonder how others are already into their fifth or sixth "release version."

It depends on how large the mission is & how complex it is. Plus some people can't test a mission all by themselves, they need feedback. Not that a mission should be purposely rushed, but I'm just saying.

I believe they have a perfect right to be wary of letting their "work" out in the nature.

Tonic (Wasteland) is the prime example although he has come to an agreement with Sa-Matra.

Another is Rocket and his Survival mod DayZ.

There are many different versions of both examples, all have taken the original work (concept) and have had it modified until it resembles nothing of the intended experience.

There is also the question of server specs to run the missions, which must be respected in order that the "game" works as intended.

This non-respect for peoples work over the last while has certainly damaged something that was unique and will never be the same again.

That is why some of the mission / mod and Island makers are becoming "exclusive" and to be quite honest, I don't blame them.

There is nothing however stopping you from enjoying all of these modified Mods as well as the originals, so I really do not understand what the purpose is of the Topic.

If it was for an answer to your question, well there you have it.

I believe they have a perfect right to be wary of letting their "work" out in the nature.

Tonic (Wasteland) is the prime example although he has come to an agreement with Sa-Matra.

Another is Rocket and his Survival mod DayZ.

There are many different versions of both examples, all have taken the original work (concept) and have had it modified until it resembles nothing of the intended experience.

There is also the question of server specs to run the missions, which must be respected in order that the "game" works as intended.

This non-respect for peoples work over the last while has certainly damaged something that was unique and will never be the same again.

That is why some of the mission / mod and Island makers are becoming "exclusive" and to be quite honest, I don't blame them.

There is nothing however stopping you from enjoying all of these modified Mods as well as the originals, so I really do not understand what the purpose is of the Topic.

There is also the question of server specs to run the missions

Pretty sure most rented servers can handle the specs to run the missions, but I can understand this as well since I've seen an increase of users making and hosting they're on servers own personal PC's or home servers using steam.

I can certainly understand the fact that they're upset people are using they're work without permission, but I see nothing wrong with taking someone else's mods/missions and modifying them and building on top of it to making it your own, this has been going on in so many industries, it's pretty much common practice and usually things are okay as long as credit is given where credit is due.

Obviously you either didn't read what I wrote or you just skipped past it because you don't care? ( I detect a hint of an attitude or something... ) Point is I run my own server, so do many other gaming community's, clans etc who love the original mods/missions that the dev's created (because they are usually the best, and well made, less buggy) Forcing us to play on those limited servers prevents us from recruiting in our own servers, holding event's etc and is a waste of money on our servers since we have to play in the other limited servers which we can't recruit in or host events in. But all in all I was just wondering why exactly they do this and I can understand it to a point, but honestly it really isn't that hard to copyright your work if your that worried about it. Copyrighting has been around for a long time.

Edited by Zhenpo