Sign in to follow this  
mons00n

Module: Visual House Positions for A3

Hi everyone! As a mission maker I've always found Grizzle's Visual House Positions module extremely useful. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work in A3. I spent some time fixing the module to be fully compatible & functional with A3 today and would like to share it with everyone. Hope you all find it as useful as I do! And remember to remove the module from your mission before saving it for use - otherwise it will be added to the mission.sqf and others will not be able to join without it.

link: removed

NOTE: As of today (9/16/13) this module crashes on Altis due to a bug in nearestBuilding - it seems to be fixed in the latest dev version so it should be fully functional for both maps after the next update to the main branch. (works fine on Stratis).

gzl_vhp_A3 in use:

To Use:

- Install gzl_vhp.pbo to your mods folder and add it to your launch shortcut.

- While in editor, use the module function to drop a GZL: Visual House Positions module on the map. No need to sync.

- Preview the mission.

- Move near a house and the position markers will be created

- The hint box displays:

Closest City/Town

Distance to the City/Town

Your current position ASL

House Object ID

House Model Name

Total number of positions in the house

Number of the position on which you are currently standing.

While standing on the position you want, use the action menu to 'Save Position'. The information you see inthe hint box is then copied to the clipboard. Paste it into something before you save another position.

When your mission is complete and/or ready to be distributed, remove the module from the map before packing it into a PBO.

To use the info for placing units or weapons:

Place the unit or object on the map near the building in which you want to place it.

Preview the map and find your building position.

Use the action menu and select Save Init Code.

Suspend the preview and double click the unit you just placed.

Put your cursor in the Initialization box and hit ctrl-v on your keyboard.

(Thanks to Das Attorney for noting that nearestObject takes the ID as an argument! Learn something new everyday. Check out his post on page 4 for some more usage suggestions.)

Note: The preformatted code is the bare minimum. You may need to add some additional commands to set the object correctly such as doStop for units so they won't wander away. When using this code make sure your units are near the location you want to place them. Arma will complain about performance impact of searching by object ID over large distances (> 500m).

Note: The buffer accumulates all saves until you suspend the map. You can mix 'Save Position' and 'Save Init Code' if you want. When you dump the buffer it clears itself. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to format data using the arma clipboard command without using an external program so you'll have to parse or cut and paste your selections out of the resulting text string. It's output from an array so it is at least a comma separated list.

Hope someone finds it useful. Feedback and suggestions for improvements are always welcome.

Edited by Foxhound

Hi everyone! As a mission maker I've always found Grizzle's Visual House Positions module extremely useful. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work in A3. I spent some time fixing the module to be fully compatible & functional with A3 today and would like to share it with everyone. Hope you all find it as useful as I do! And remember to remove the module from your mission before saving it for use - otherwise it will be added to the mission.sqf and others will not be able to join without it.

link: removed

NOTE: As of today (9/16/13) this module crashes on Altis due to a bug in nearestBuilding - it seems to be fixed in the latest dev version so it should be fully functional for both maps after the next update to the main branch. (works fine on Stratis).

gzl_vhp_A3 in use:

I take it you have permission, right?

Edited by Foxhound

This thread is locked until you share with us wether you have permission to port someone elses work.