Sign in to follow this  
Potplanty

Low altitude helicopter insertion

Hey all. Pretty damn new to this so bare with me.

I've figured out how to create a helicopter insertion for the start of the mission.

Currently I'm using two waypoint markers to get the insertion almost perfect but no matter what the chopper will always come in fast, pull up hard and then slowly descend at a rate that is going to get me shot.

What I'm looking for is the chopper to come in low and slow down around 300m out so that the landing can be done without having to pull the nose up hard as the story is that they're landing in a hot zone.

I've already got a marker 300m out for move, limited and one on the LZ for unload transport, limited. Sadly the choppers come in at 300m, pull up a bit to limit their speed then speed up normally and pull up hard on the (alleged) LZ.

The other thing is that the choppers all seem to pick this exact same area for their unloading rather than going to the actual designated LZ. I heard there is a way to make the choppers fully land and then force unload the cargo instead but I can't find how to do that.

Is it just a simple case of more waypoints or is there some scripting involved too? Cheers guys.

To get specific movements you'll need to trial and error it for days then it'll work how you want it 3/7 times. Or use UnitCapture/UnitPlay to record YOU flying the movements than play it back exactly that way every time.

Unitcapture is definitely the way to go, there's a full tutorial here:

Ignore the part about adding a functions module, this isn't needed in ArmA3.

It also helps to make a small script to force the AI out of the helicopter, particularly if you're controlling the squad. To save you reinventing the wheel, I'll paste up one I created for my last mission:

_grp1 = group player;
_x = count units grp1;

for [{_n = 0},{_n < _x},{_n = _n+1}] do
{
  unassignVehicle (units _grp1 select _n);
  (units _grp1 select _n) action ["eject",helicopter1];

sleep 1.5;
};

Edited by XCess

Be careful though: Unitcapture can be a bit tricky to handle and can also massively increase the size of your mission if you use it to much.

PotPlanty you can set the flying height (flyinheight) on each waypoint - I suggest adding an intermediate one and use this to lower the height before the unload.

I think there is either a box under azimuth that should work or you can script into the activate are on each waypoint.

I recall doing this ages ago, but lost the example on a HDD failure