Sign in to follow this  
jinzor

European Union (Fictional - ArmA III Setting)

Since I couldn't find a proper image of a FELIN system soldier with his back turned towards the camera, I just reimagined the other side. Two versions; one with a backpack (I'll probably just retexture an existing one to look like it), one without. Need this for reference when I model it.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x176/JinRenegade/ArmAIII-EUVestConceptArt_zps704b777c.png

Anyway, back on topic. So, how would the round patch fit onto the rectangular shaped patch on the right shoulder (where the AAF flag is currently placed)? Should it be rectangular like this below? I'm just thinking that a circular patch may not look very good on that shape. If it were a badge on the left shoulder only, then it'd be fine.

!B4Qq)G!CWk~$(KGrHqEOKjUEyWuqB2uoBMpMoelfBg~~_35.JPG

Edited by Jinzor

I'd say, just one rectangular patch.

my own concept, taking some liberties, like the CSAT helmet.

Very interesting. Is it going to look something like this, by any chance?

Because what I see and what I have seen is that it is indeed us (Europe) the UK, France, Holland etc who have been helping the US fight its latest wars.

I believe thats because the US in Afghanistan are operating under the NATO umbrella (ISAF), thus NATO members are also in the fight against insurgency.

This is supposed to be a fictional supranational organisation under the control of the European Union, 2035. So, should it be like this? Just one flag/patch (EU flag)?

Or like this? An EU flag/patch with another nation's flag next to it? I'm not sure I want to do this, because then I'd have to have lots of variations of soldiers; some from the UK, some from France, some from Germany, etc.

Since you'd be making new models for your infantry, may I suggest if you look into implementing interchangeable shoulder patches/flags? That way, the second option for An "EU flag/patch with another nation's flag next to it" will be possible.

Thats cool. Is that a KH2002 assault rifle the soldier's carrying?

I don't know if anyone mentioned already the following weapon, but for me it looks really hot: The Beretta ARX 160

3-soldier.jpg

The grenadelauncher has a firecomputer, the scope seems to have thermal view possibility, and they are able to send what they aim at if I understood it correctly.

In my opinion, arma 3 did not receive enough Hi-Tech toys when I think it is set in the 2030's.

Perhaps in your story the EU forces might become the Hi-Tech faction?

Hehe, perhaps we will see soldiers fighting the war with their smartphones and tablets, reporting enemy positions on facebook and so on :)

I'm a big fan of EndWar's designs (hence my avatar), and I'd love to make that helmet, but I'm not sure if I should. EndWar's designs take some liberties a bit too far, and if I do use that kind of design it may look too obvious that I'd be taking inspiration from EndWar.

I don't know if anyone mentioned already the following weapon, but for me it looks really hot: The Beretta ARX 160

The grenadelauncher has a firecomputer, the scope seems to have thermal view possibility, and they are able to send what they aim at if I understood it correctly.

In my opinion, arma 3 did not receive enough Hi-Tech toys when I think it is set in the 2030's.

Perhaps in your story the EU forces might become the Hi-Tech faction?

Hehe, perhaps we will see soldiers fighting the war with their smartphones and tablets, reporting enemy positions on facebook and so on :)

That's a really interesting looking weapon, and fits with my theme I'm aiming for the faction's infantry as well. I'm trying to combine lots of European future infantry programs into one;

• FELIN jacket - France

• Helmet I'm going to design will nod at BAE System's visor helmet (Britain) and Netherland's Galae helmet design

• M90 camouflage pattern - Sweden

• Quite a few of the planned weapons are Austrian and German

Having something Italian would add a bit of southern Europe into it which would be great.

Edited by Jinzor

Thats cool. Is that a KH2002 assault rifle the soldier's carrying?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a fictional variant of FAMAS-FELIN.

I'm a big fan of EndWar's designs (hence my avatar), and I'd love to make that helmet, but I'm not sure if I should. ... Helmet I'm going to design will nod at BAE System's visor helmet (Britain) and Netherland's Galae helmet design

Good to hear. Unlike many other players, I quite like the "futuristic alternative reality" vibe of Arma 3, so a new, creative design is far more interesting for me than "another ECH-looking helmet".

When this mod's completed I reckon you could just about rename the current NATO to US Army, since there's no point in having them badged as NATO when it does not have European soldiers in it. :)

Good to hear. Unlike many other players, I quite like the "futuristic alternative reality" vibe of Arma 3, so a new, creative design is far more interesting for me than "another ECH-looking helmet".

Here's some of the inspiration I was looking at.

BAE (British Aerospace Engineering) - British

• Future Soldier Concept

abe.jpg

• HUD Helmet (Earlier and Latest)

iws5-241x300.jpg

100_0012-1.jpg

Edited by Jinzor

Hey,this looks like the world in Tom Clancy's End Warï¼

---------- Post added at 06:12 ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 ----------

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a fictional variant of FAMAS-FELIN.

And according to Tom Clancy's,the EU soldiers are using FAMAS Felin,FN2000,AW50 and some king of Milan AT launcher……and I remember they're also using some laser weapons……

---------- Post added at 06:19 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

And wait……are we going to make a End War mod or EU mod ……

Whatever way it goes, I still like the (post-)modern setting of it all. Keep it up guys! :)

Hey,this looks like the world in Tom Clancy's End Warï¼

---------- Post added at 06:12 ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 ----------

And according to Tom Clancy's,the EU soldiers are using FAMAS Felin,FN2000,AW50 and some king of Milan AT launcher……and I remember they're also using some laser weapons……

---------- Post added at 06:19 ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 ----------

And wait……are we going to make a End War mod or EU mod ……

EU not for sure i didn't even seen an Italian weapon (Beretta or Benelli), or the mentioning of Italy and Greece but usually when do everybody are talking about EU in EU, everybody are usually talking about Germany and others northern states and here i finish to comment because we will going into useless political discussion

in the list in 2nd page:

Poland is in the EU

Croatia is in EU

Estonia is in EU

Hungary is in EU

Latvia is in EU

Lithuania is in EU

Slovakia is in EU

Slovenia is in EU

Founding members (1952):

Netherlands

Luxembourg

Italy

Germany

France

Belgium

references:

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/index_en.htm

If you intend to make an EU Army you should keep in consideration all of the member countries

EU not for sure i didn't even seen an Italian weapon (Beretta or Benelli), or the mentioning of Italy and Greece but usually when do everybody are talking about EU in EU, everybody are usually talking about Germany and others northern states and here i finish to comment because we will going into useless political discussion

in the list in 2nd page:

Poland is in the EU

Croatia is in EU

Estonia is in EU

Hungary is in EU

Latvia is in EU

Lithuania is in EU

Slovakia is in EU

Slovenia is in EU

Founding members (1952):

Netherlands

Luxembourg

Italy

Germany

France

Belgium

references:

If you intend to make an EU Army you should keep in consideration all of the member countries

Just because they're members now, doesn't mean they will in this scenario of the future. Political views can change, the mind of countries people too and economic change will influence the politics.

If you are going to include details from every EU country, then I can reccomend you to let helmets be croatian-made. You can read about Sestan-Busch's helmet quality, export and everything on their official site.

http://www.sestan-busch.hr/en/

in the list in 2nd page:

Poland is in the EU

Croatia is in EU

Estonia is in EU

Hungary is in EU

Latvia is in EU

Lithuania is in EU

Slovakia is in EU

Slovenia is in EU

Founding members (1952):

Netherlands

Luxembourg

Italy

Germany

France

Belgium

references:

Just a note, I didn't make that list that you're referring to. And no, when I say EU I don't just mean Germany and the northern European countries, I mean everyone, including Italy. Infact, the main assault rifle I'm thinking of using (suggested by someone recently) is the Beretta ARX 160, an Italian rifle. I'm going to use this since it looks pretty futuristic (the look fits with the other weapons that are present in ArmA III) and is actually being made in mind of Italy's Soldato Futuro program, and I said before that I'd be taking information from every European country's planned/proposed future infantry programs for the look of the European infantry.

Edited by Jinzor

For starters, I think this is very much a concept ATM. Secondly, there's been multiple lists of potential guns/vehicles/whatever... of which none did include stuff from exactly all current EU members. I agree though that it would be wise to include something at least from every EU nation. (otherwise there will be tearz, infact it will probably end in tearz no matter how you do it)...

A third minor note. "Former eastern bloc" countries lacks quite a lot of non-soviet origin stuff and they have there after replaced some of it with american stuff. Hence if you want to do something that really feels like EU, you might want to consider stuff that was actually designed in EU too...

1. Alright, I've finished modelling an original helmet and vest. I used the NATO/CSAT helmet/vest models as reference, imported them using Eliteness to see their polys/how big they were etc. Had to look back and forth from Maya to O2 though. I just need to UV and texture them, but I'll do that once I've found out that their models are fine. I also finished that AAF clothes retexture a while ago. I'm planning to show them when they're 100% finished (textures, assault rifle included, applied to a character running around etc), maybe even showcase them in a 2 minute trailer or something.

Bare with me, for I am new to modding ArmA games and don't know how to do these basic things yet. I've got more experience in CryEngine/UDK/Refractor 2. For the texture, I tried to get it ingame but it doesn't seem to work; my soldier seems to have no body, can't move or shoot but can talk. The first person camera is also at the ground as well. Not sure what I did wrong, I basically followed a retexturing tutorial where I would replace an already existing texture with the same name (I replaced an AAF clothing texture from a mod, so I didn't replace a vanilla one just in case I messed up my game's integrity. It was the same file type as well. I depackaged the original .pbo file, replaced the texture file I needed to replace, and repackaged + replaced using Eliteness).

For the models or creating an entirely new infantry unit, I'm not sure how. Found a couple of tutorials, but they focus on exporting/importing 3DS Max to O2 rather than Maya. Does anyone know of any useful links or willing to explain the process in detail? (PM me if so)

2. This is less important, but what do you think the United Kingdom's position should be on this faction? Recently there's been a lot of anti-EU sentiment from Britain, with talks of referendum + voting to leave. This is set roughly 20 years in the future, so would they have left the EU before the formation of this faction, therefore not contributing any soldiers/equipment to it at all? I'm British and have a great microphone, I did some voice work for other mods before as infantry/grunts/officers. I can also get other British-accented voice overs from talented people I know who focus on this kind of thing (for our 3D/video game projects at university). So, if the British aren't a part of it, there shouldn't be any British-accented soldiers, therefore making it slightly harder for original VO's.

I was thinking, as a way of getting these British-accent VO's in there + having some British stuff as a part of this faction, by briefly implying in my short trailer (when I make it) that there are MP's (members of Parliament), who are a part of whichever Nicholas Ramsden's (the Prime Minister of the UK in ArmA III, mentioned in the campaign's intro video) party are putting pressure on him to stop contributing to this organisation and to call for a second referendum on whether or not to leave the EU to curb the threat of fast-growing, Eurosceptic, extreme far-right wing parties. This also implies that the first referendum ended with a vote to stay in and that there has been a massive growth of power for the extreme far-right wing political spectrum, which threatens the stability of the country (this is also as a result of European countries' terrible economy; in the intro video to ArmA III, the pound (£) seems to have plummeted. Same thing with the euro (€). The state of the Eurozone and other factors also results in the growth of the far-right extremists in many European countries, which will also be shown in the trailer very briefly as well. The Altian government in ArmA III, which is really a fictional version of Greece (the original story was for them to be Greek), is also a extreme, hard-line and far-right. They also say "When Europe cast us out of their failed union of states, we rose from the ashes." in the intro video. So, Altis is an example of a European country that has gone extreme, which hints at what the status of other European countries could be as well (there are also, apparently, riots in Rome, as shown in the intro video).

Edited by Jinzor

Bare with me, for I am new to modding ArmA games and don't know how to do these basic things yet. I've got more experience in CryEngine/UDK/Refractor 2. For the texture, I tried to get it ingame but it doesn't seem to work; my soldier seems to have no body, can't move or shoot but can talk. The first person camera is also at the ground as well. Not sure what I did wrong, I basically followed a retexturing tutorial where I would replace an already existing texture with the same name (I replaced an AAF clothing texture from a mod, so I didn't replace a vanilla one just in case I messed up my game's integrity. It was the same file type as well. I depackaged the original .pbo file, replaced the texture file I needed to replace, and repackaged + replaced using Eliteness).

Okay, so this is a simple fix. If you want your retex to show up on a uniform, you have to have a saved editor mission in your profile (so you can load it in the editor.) For example, I have a an empty map of Stratis I call TextureTest and that gives me a mission folder where you put the .paas. Load that up like you would any mission you're editing and you have all the data loaded. Then when you want to setobjecttexture on a uniform, it'll see the texture in the mission folder and use that. That's what you use to test. Otherwise it can't see the .paas and will just be invisible.

And from what I've gathered, you unpacked the original Arma .pbo in Addons and put the texture in there? That's not a good idea, since it screws the vanilla game and presents a whole bunch of problem. You never should do that.

Hope this helps.

Okay, so this is a simple fix. If you want your retex to show up on a uniform, you have to have a saved editor mission in your profile (so you can load it in the editor.) For example, I have a an empty map of Stratis I call TextureTest and that gives me a mission folder where you put the .paas. Load that up like you would any mission you're editing and you have all the data loaded. Then when you want to setobjecttexture on a uniform, it'll see the texture in the mission folder and use that. That's what you use to test. Otherwise it can't see the .paas and will just be invisible.

And from what I've gathered, you unpacked the original Arma .pbo in Addons and put the texture in there? That's not a good idea, since it screws the vanilla game and presents a whole bunch of problem. You never should do that.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the help, I'll try that out. And no, I don't think I made it clear, but I tried to say that I didn't want to use the original .pbo for the independents in the addons folder, I said I used the .pbo of a mod addon which retextured the independent clothing and replaced that one instead (I don't really mind what happens to a mod's integrity since I can just delete the mod and copy and paste it again from my recent downloads folder).

After rewatching the campaign intro, I think that the UK still is in the European Union.

USA is under pressure from CSAT, and therefore likely to abandon the military bases in europe to focus on its own defences. I am almost certain that in no european country the situation is "normal". Riots in Rome, Riots in Paris, MP in Berlin. At the same time, due to the US is retreating from Europe and CSAT advancing in Africa, the EU must come up with a defense. NATO is breaking apart, shattered by both economics and CSAT. The most viable option would be to reform the EU, changing it from an economic/political union to a NATO/CSAT-like military union.

Britain seems to be offensive: I think that Nicholas Ramsden is Britains prime minister, and, even though he was defeated in parliament, his request to extend the BAF-peacekeeping mission shows that Britain wants to keep the EU (or NATO) strong and CSAT far away from Europe.

To come to a conclusion, I think that Britain stayed in the EU and, with the US becomig weaker and weaker and loosing all interest in Europe, reformed the old EU into a military union. I don't know about Frances attitude towards military, but since Germany has been very defensive since WW2, I think that it is likely that the initiative to reform the EU was started by Britain and then heavily supported by eastern countries, like Poland, who fear Russia.

In the end I think that Britain, together with France and eastern countries that feared Russia diplomatically "forced" Germany to form the Europen Defensive Forces (Or however it will be called in the end), keeping the members of the EU that still were relatively stable.

However, I don't know to much about european/british politics, so I might get everything completely wrong.

Hi, thanks for the help, I'll try that out. And no, I don't think I made it clear, but I tried to say that I didn't want to use the original .pbo for the independents in the addons folder, I said I used the .pbo of a mod addon which retextured the independent clothing and replaced that one instead (I don't really mind what happens to a mod's integrity since I can just delete the mod and copy and paste it again from my recent downloads folder).

Oh, no, don't do that. Keep the original stuff where it is and if you want to use another .pbo turn it into an addon like what you would do with anything else. Have the @whatever folder and whatnot.

Here's an idea for the voices: You should randomize both the ENGB and GRE languages so they speak English but have different accents.

Here's an idea for the voices: You should randomize both the ENGB and GRE languages so they speak English but have different accents.

That's a good idea. For my continental European units, as well as my Russian and Chinese units, I use the LanguageGRE_F protocol, because it's better than them speaking American/Canadian and British English, and better than them speaking Farsi.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

After rewatching the campaign intro, I think that the UK still is in the European Union.

USA is under pressure from CSAT, and therefore likely to abandon the military bases in europe to focus on its own defences. I am almost certain that in no european country the situation is "normal". Riots in Rome, Riots in Paris, MP in Berlin. At the same time, due to the US is retreating from Europe and CSAT advancing in Africa, the EU must come up with a defense. NATO is breaking apart, shattered by both economics and CSAT. The most viable option would be to reform the EU, changing it from an economic/political union to a NATO/CSAT-like military union.

Britain seems to be offensive: I think that Nicholas Ramsden is Britains prime minister, and, even though he was defeated in parliament, his request to extend the BAF-peacekeeping mission shows that Britain wants to keep the EU (or NATO) strong and CSAT far away from Europe.

To come to a conclusion, I think that Britain stayed in the EU and, with the US becomig weaker and weaker and loosing all interest in Europe, reformed the old EU into a military union. I don't know about Frances attitude towards military, but since Germany has been very defensive since WW2, I think that it is likely that the initiative to reform the EU was started by Britain and then heavily supported by eastern countries, like Poland, who fear Russia.

In the end I think that Britain, together with France and eastern countries that feared Russia diplomatically "forced" Germany to form the Europen Defensive Forces (Or however it will be called in the end), keeping the members of the EU that still were relatively stable.

However, I don't know to much about european/british politics, so I might get everything completely wrong.

Doubt it. Seems like things have remained the same as they are now: NATO is the military faction. EU is still the same, except that some nations might have left the EU. Both NATO and the EU are weaker I think.

2. This is less important, but what do you think the United Kingdom's position should be on this faction? Recently there's been a lot of anti-EU sentiment from Britain, with talks of referendum + voting to leave. This is set roughly 20 years in the future, so would they have left the EU before the formation of this faction, therefore not contributing any soldiers/equipment to it at all? I'm British and have a great microphone, I did some voice work for other mods before as infantry/grunts/officers. I can also get other British-accented voice overs from talented people I know who focus on this kind of thing (for our 3D/video game projects at university). So, if the British aren't a part of it, there shouldn't be any British-accented soldiers, therefore making it slightly harder for original VO's.

I'm neither from the UK nor a total expert in kind of economics and politics in the UK, but there are three issues in the UK that we hear about constantly in german media: 1. unemployment rate, families scratching the poverty line 2. anti-EU politics and 3. immigration from poor, mostly mid-eastern/eastern countries

To number 1: Uneployed and poor people are unhappy, so they search the mistake somewhere else (the EU, the politics, immigration). If they fall for the stuff like "If we wouldn't be in the EU we would have such a wonderful life and would sleep on beds made of money", they might vote against or in general dislike the EU.

To number 2: The recent anti-EU politics will certainly have an impact, but I remember reading some articles about how the UK wants to leave the EU around 2 years ago. So I guess if they could they'd leave the EU, but it isn't an easy and quick decision.

To number 3: I experience here in my area daily, we have parts of cities which are nearly completely "in the hand" of Turks, Lebanese, Arabs and more, and the general political view there can you describe as "pure Anti-West, supportive of 'underdog countries', which fits their religion etc. (ex. Palestine)". Since these parts of the community vote too, and give the general view a heavy influence, I'd say this is also a factor for the UK not being a leading role in a EU-Forces future setting.

All three points basically speak for the UK being either a non EU-member or at least a not-leading role in the short distant future.

This mod looks interesting, but I think a European corps as a single entity won't exist not for a long time, but I think the European gendarmerie force , Eurogenfor is a much darker scarier thing for a mod,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Gendarmerie_Force

In Athrns I have a lot of radical friends who all have different theories of how the EU would try to put martial law on Greece, it's all paranoia but it makes an interesting story, and as Arma3 is set in Greece it would be well suited, here is my pitch for a mod story with 3/4 factions...

Greece'so economy further stalls, and with crime and civil disorder rising with a coalition government can't enforce any new laws. Far right and far left terrorism begins to rise, nationalist militias begin to grow, forming large training camps, setting up road blocks in rural areas and sine cities journalists begin to disappear, police seems to lack resources or are in league with nationalist militants.

Coalition government decides to 'invite' Eurogenfor unto Greece to assist in stability, this causes an uproar in the armed forces as a humiliation, who attempt a factionalised unsuccessful coup. In Thessonsliki and Athens, rival groups the communists and anarchists set up barricades, occupy government buildings with greater violence than usual, the police openly invite help from the nationslist far right groups to restore order, four days of street fighting and riots leave 300 dead and several thousand injured, the government allows Eurogenfor to intervene.

Once arrived Eurogenfor begin combat operations they are not controlled by the Geneva control as thry are genderme police not soldiers. This means they are ruthless and bloody.