Sign in to follow this  
no use for a name

Improve wounding mechanic and visuals

Ever since the alpha, I noticed the total lack of a wounding system and visual feedback when infantry get shot. As it stands now, infantry only slightly 'twitch' when getting hit. And sometimes there's no reaction at all (usually when moving or during an action like healing).

This is unacceptable IMO, it kills immersion and it's impossible to tell if your shots are landing on target, especially now since it usually takes multiple shots to take down infantry with small arms fire.

All other previous titles in the series at least had a basic wounding system that would affect aim, breathing, and movement.

Here some some of my ideas:

When shot in the legs, movement speed is affected with limping, and a chance to force infantry to crawl until healed by a medic.

When shot in the arms, aim is greatly affected

When shot in the abdomen; breathing, aim, vision, and movement speed are negatively affected

When shot in the upper torso/chest, breathing and vision is affected for a short time (due to not penetrating armor)

Any time when shot (especially from multiple rounds), there's a chance for infantry to get stunned or get knocked down, making them stumble to the ground; allowing them to get to cover.

Bullets that don't hit armor should create more blood visuals

Obviously headshots still have a 99% chance to kill; but if they don't, it should negatively affect vision, aiming, breathing, and have a greater chance for stun/knockdown.

I believe these are essential, and will add more elements to the game.

Please, add a better wounding system and visual feedback to the game, at least to the standards of previous titles in the series!

Please vote up on the feedback tracker:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14537

Example videos of current system:

Uh, am I the only one that thinks this should be in the game? I just thought it would be a good idea, does anyone agree or not?

I was hoping for more input

This would take actual work; we all know BI doesn't believe in something as silly as that.

This would take actual work; we all know BI doesn't believe in something as silly as that.

OK let me be more clear - Anyone have any VALUABLE input instead of the typical troll bullshit? Oh wait, that would take ACTUAL work!

Edited by No Use For A Name

There is few videos on youtube where US soldiers in body armor are getting knocked down by bullet and after few seconds getting up and running for cover. Same thing could work for arma since almost every unit wears bulletproof vest. Only needed thing is just bunch of anims for different weapons and stances and some lines of code in AI scripts so they don't freak out and start breakdancing on the ground when knocked down...

Improved medical system is a must for the game, otherwise combats feels to "dry" and binary. A mix between a simple version of ACE did and A2 Module would be more than effective and welcome.

As for your suggestions, except for the knowdown thing, I like it. Those PP effects shouldn't last long thou, just enough to make you realize what happened.

Anyway, I believe BI already their own plans for this.

Improved medical system is a must for the game, otherwise combats feels to "dry" and binary. A mix between a simple version of ACE did and A2 Module would be more than effective and welcome.

As for your suggestions, except for the knowdown thing, I like it. Those PP effects shouldn't last long thou, just enough to make you realize what happened.

Anyway, I believe BI already their own plans for this.

Yes I should have been clear that the pp effects would be temporary, and only for a few seconds at most. And as for the knockdown, it was more if you hit a target multiple times center mass and they somehow survive (which has happened on occasion), then there's a chance (not 100%) for them to be knocked to the ground. This would also help the "victim", as it would be harder for follow-up shots; and they would be able to move to cover. Then they'd have a chance to heal and "gather" their senses i.e. wait for the" side-effects" to subside.

However, if they're knocked down, they could also quickly stand up and run to cover (using the prone "toggle"); but this will just make you an easier target for follow-up shots (if you fall somewhere without concealment/cover, then what have you got to loose :D )

Edited by No Use For A Name

Voted.

I'd like to see some super-realistic wounding mechanism with full gore and blood. Thanks.

I'd like to see some super-realistic wounding mechanism...

I'm pretty sure they will keep the first aid 1-up's in the game. It's way too late for dramatic changes like that (it would break custom made scenarios for sure).

...with full gore and blood. Thanks.

I bet 10000€ they will not include that for the same reasons they didn't include it to Arma 2. They didn't even want to include children (children are in VBS, but it's completely ok if soldiers train how to kill children, but it's unacceptable if consumers want to have a better immersion ;) ).

Voted.

I'd like to see some super-realistic wounding mechanism with full gore and blood. Thanks.

Well that's not really what this thread/ticket is about. It's more about the reaction/effects of getting shot. I'm not asking for a surgeon simulator and/or limbs flying off and guts hanging out, that's a whole separate issue/feature/request. I just want a basic wounding mechanic that's at least on par with previous Arma titles i.e. you get shot in the legs, you're forced crawl (until healed). If you get shot in the arms, aim is greatly affected, etc.

My ideas were mainly to improve on the old system that's not even there any more

Oh cmon... Surgen Simulator + Arma 3 would take things to a whole another level.....

... frustration! :D