Sign in to follow this  
nicklomas

ARMA 3 - Somethings missing

Not sure what it is but i spent £1500 on a new desktop with one of the key things being so I could play ARMA 3. Although the graphics are immense I still feel it's missing something (and i don't mean content or campaign)

I am however a big fan of ARMA 2 and the story and units there are fantastic, consequently I am not that annoyed after shelling out that cash as it means i can have bigger battle on ARMA 2.

So what is missing for you, if it's not content or campaign. Why do you still prefer Arma 2?

Is it because (of course) there is more community content for Arma 2 than for Arma 3 at the moment?

Give us some reasons, otherwise I don't see what to discuss and why this post needs its own thread.

So what is missing for you, if it's not content or campaign. Why do you still prefer Arma 2?

Is it because (of course) there is more community content for Arma 2 than for Arma 3 at the moment?

Give us some reasons, otherwise I don't see what to discuss and why this post needs its own thread.

I think it may be the setting in 2035 and the Iran thing. For me ARMA (OFP) has always been about the cold war and post cold war settings e.g Russia and eastern bloc states

For me ARMA (OFP) has always been about the cold war and post cold war settings e.g Russia and eastern bloc states

Absolutely true. Just like Sahrani.. oh wait..

it might be your willingness to allow this game to charm you that is missing. i suggest making some simple coop missions (or downloading them) and play them with friends. use bad weather and stuff. create some atmosphere. but wait until after monday though so the AI changes are back in the game.

yes i agree that the game is missing soul a little bit right now because of the missing scenario. it's too vague. but if you stop nitpicking and allow yourself to enjoy the typical arma/ofp gameplay, it'll be easy to overlook the details that seem to disturb you and realize that at the core this game is simply better than arma 2. it just hasn't reached its peak yet.

Absolutely true. Just like Sahrani.. oh wait..

That's why i wasn't the biggest fan of Arma 1

Not sure what it is but i spent £1500 on a new desktop with one of the key things being so I could play ARMA 3. Although the graphics are immense I still feel it's missing something (and i don't mean content or campaign)

I am however a big fan of ARMA 2 and the story and units there are fantastic, consequently I am not that annoyed after shelling out that cash as it means i can have bigger battle on ARMA 2.

i think what's missing is basically the satisfied expectation that this was going to be something special. after all those years in development and especially with the marketing direction and presentation suggestion something more than just another sanbox with new toys. basically, where are the core improvements to performance? the core improvements to mechanics(weapon resting still not in, but we have barely useful stance adjustment with no leg movement)? which is the ik still so primitive. why are ancient things like stencil shadow still in the game, etc, etc.

it just didn't seem like an evolution of the series.

i think what's missing is basically the satisfied expectation that this was going to be something special. after all those years in development and especially with the marketing direction and presentation suggestion something more than just another sanbox with new toys. basically, where are the core improvements to performance? the core improvements to mechanics(weapon resting still not in, but we have barely useful stance adjustment with no leg movement)? which is the ik still so primitive. why are ancient things like stencil shadow still in the game, etc, etc.

it just didn't seem like an evolution of the series.

+1. It still just the same old ancient engine.

I know what is missing! The tractor.

It has been in all the previous games since OFP!

I know what is missing! The tractor.

It has been in all the previous games since OFP!

I was thinking about that yesterday when I started to build vacation simulator mission (hiking, sightseeing, beaches... :P)... There are so many fields, but not a single tractor..?

I too have the feeling that something is missing, but I can´t put my finger on it. I know that I played the shit out of Arma 2 at Release even with all its bugs, same with OA. But Arma 3? Only 109 hours since the start of Alpha. Maybe it is because of the fictional equipment together with fictional names. I guess that is where my Simulation fever kicks in.

I too have the feeling that something is missing, but I can´t put my finger on it. I know that I played the shit out of Arma 2 at Release even with all its bugs, same with OA. But Arma 3? Only 109 hours since the start of Alpha. Maybe it is because of the fictional equipment together with fictional names. I guess that is where my Simulation fever kicks in.

Same here...

I think that's it for me tbf, i like a military simulator to immerse me in realism. Setting it in the future could be fun (a space war theme type thing) but this doesn't seem as fun so far. I've played less than 4 hours in the game and am actually playing ARMA 2 right now

Many things missing ... the Bus! .. motorcycle/bicycle .. female civs ...some old rusty civ vehicles ... to give Altis some atmospheric (human) life too.

Previous games had the "civilian life" also ..I do not know if BIS is going to add some to Altis/Stratis. They should .. there's so much agriculture and not a single tractor .. :eek:

Edited by Azzur33

+1. It still just the same old ancient engine.

Every mature gaming engine out there is an evolution of previous builds. What's your point?

Motorcycles are fun to ride. Motorcycles IEDs are even more fun :D (which I put in one of my mission. Riding motorcycles up the mountains and you can denonate them).

Every mature gaming engine out there is an evolution of previous builds. What's your point?

Yeah. Every mature gaming engine is an evolution of previous builds. This one just doesn't seem like an evolution of previous builds. It's like they've tacked on stuff to the same old engine. There don't seem to be any underlying improvements to the way the engine runs (namely, performance, utilization of cores, etc).

Really? I remember Arma ran better than OFP on my system when it was released, Arma II ran better than Arma and now comparing Arma III runs better than Arma II for me. Combined with the smoother movement and more control over stance Arma III is miles ahead for me in performance.

Yeah. Every mature gaming engine is an evolution of previous builds. This one just doesn't seem like an evolution of previous builds. It's like they've tacked on stuff to the same old engine. There don't seem to be any underlying improvements to the way the engine runs (namely, performance, utilization of cores, etc).

Devs said many times that they lack engine programmers and programmers in general.

Because the lead programmer and both creators of that engine are engaged with some zombie game.:couch:

Devs said many times that they lack engine programmers and programmers in general.

In that case there's this page.

Because the lead programmer and both creators of that engine are engaged with some zombie game.:couch:

I saw what you did there... ;)