Sign in to follow this  
chlywly

Hacking already ruining the game!! Please enable Steam VAC!!!!

Multiple servers, hackers are consistently runing the game. From exploding everyone and anything to god mode to random other shit, I mean look at this website I found with a simple google search! There are TONS of hacks and TONS of people using them. This is pathetic for a predominantly online game that just came out.

** Link removed**

What on earth did I just pay $60 for? :mad::mad::mad:

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Steams VAC, will not solve anything.

If anything Steams VAC will hinder Arma 3 more than it helps. Battle Eye is rather efficient, if you like, report the hacks to help notify them and push an update.

Obviously Battleeye isn't doing shit. Steams VAC is awesome; it's rock solid if your game is coded correctly and will permaban hackers meaning people will NOT be hacking. Chivalry has VAC enabled recently and it's pretty much stopped all hacking!! UT3 engine.

VAC works in certain situations. Arma 3 is not one of them.

Give Battle Eye time to update and stop raging please.

I'd also like to mention steam VAC is far from perfect, even with the games it works well in, there are still hackers running rampant.

remember why dayz says sa can solve hacking better than mod

"This is pathetic for a predominantly online game that just came out."

You do realise that Arma 3 is not a game that has just come out?! Its been out in Alpha followed by Beta stage for best part of 5-6 months. It has been constantly updated on dev branch virtually everyday, and Battleye has to play catch up when each update hits the stable branch, which is what we have all been playing since the 12th. Not all changes made on Dev branch make it to stable, hence why it would be futile for battleye to try keep up with dev branch changes, so instead only update when a patch is released for stable branch.

The full release was on Thursday 12th, you seriously expect Battleye to have an update ready straight away, it will take a good 3-5 working days at least for them to update.

Just because Arma 3 is on steam it doesn't mean BIS should drop Battleye, a tried and tested anti cheat system where the Arma series is concerned, that is supported by the majority of Arma series players and server hosts, in favor of VAC - That many a steam users hate anyway, especially when it can give them VAC bans for simply using innocent user made Mods!

The problem is, professional coders are finding they can make a lot of money and / or fame by making really good hacks. What Bis needs to do is hire some of them to show them how to STOP the hacks. Also, maybe hire the anti-hack community coders from Crysis Wars community. They made some really good programs that actually were quite simple. The programs just monitored what people were doing, and asked the question "is that possible within game rules?". If not, kick and ban. Guy running too fast? ban. Guy flying? ban. Guy just killed 8 people at once? ban. Pretty simple really.

Go pitch this fit to the servers admin for not knowing how to admin. There's more to being an admin than logging in & selecting a mission for everyone to play. Admins need to know how to utilize BE properly.

---------- Post added at 08:02 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

Obviously Battleeye isn't doing shit. Steams VAC is awesome; it's rock solid if your game is coded correctly and will permaban hackers meaning people will NOT be hacking. Chivalry has VAC enabled recently and it's pretty much stopped all hacking!! UT3 engine.

No. The admins aren't utilizing BE in the correct way(s). This is nothing new to Arma. Shitty admins come here and complain that BE isn't an automatic, hands free, anti-hacking utility that magically stops hackers. Admins need to get their fucking hands dirty. Real admins don't play the game. They're too busy making sure their server(s) are being maintained, through & through. Constantly.

VAC is garbage in any case.

Edited by David77

Multiple servers, hackers are consistently runing the game. From exploding everyone and anything to god mode to random other shit, I mean look at this website I found with a simple google search! There are TONS of hacks and TONS of people using them. This is pathetic for a predominantly online game that just came out.

** Link removed**

What on earth did I just pay $60 for? :mad::mad::mad:

This is why the singleplayer side of Arma 3 is and should have been more important then multiplayer. I don't know why people say multiplayer is where its at because all you do is try and avoid hackers all the time and too me that's just annoying and not fun.

And why did they remove setVehicleInit if its done nothing to fix hacking, it could have been left in for singleplayer missions where hacking isn't an issue.

Well, you cant blame BE for server admins not setting up the filters for the missions properly. Default BE will only provide protection against the basic hacks BE has detected.

You can set up BE to detect every single thing that happens on the server and then kick/ban people based on it.

It really is a very versitile tool, which can provide a very high level of security, if set up correctly.

Tell the admins of the servers they need to take a look at the filters and allow/restrict certain commands and scripts.

They can dictate what clients are allowed to run and how they are allowed to run it.

Multiple servers, hackers are consistently runing the game. (..)

imho hackers have to do better/other things... a hacking hacker is not a griefing scriptkiddie.

if "kids ruin a mp-game with something like explode everyone" then { this is not a hack made by an hacker };

Well, you cant blame BE for server admins not setting up the filters for the missions properly.

We can if there is zero documentation to allow server admins to learn how to setup said filters. I have looked and been unable to find any documentation from BIS or BE on BE filters.

We can if there is zero documentation to allow server admins to learn how to setup said filters. I have looked and been unable to find any documentation from BIS or BE on BE filters.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131759-New-BattlEye-features-for-server-admins

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138736-Introducing-Server-side-Event-Logging-Blocking

There is not a whole lot of documentation or Tutorials on that stuff, but there is at least something. If you want to make your own filters, some scripting knowledge is also required.

You don't necessarily need those filters, however it gives server admins the ability to prevent script execution. BE alone without any filters can't really prevent scripts from getting executed, however it can ban the cheater afterwards (that goes for scripts as well as all other kinds of cheats, inlcuding private ones).

so, me releasing for over year BE scripts filters for DayZ mod wasn't enough as 'proof of concept' and how to? ...

explained in multiple forums more than once ...

:j:

explained in multiple forums more than once

That is the problem, it is hidden away in multiple places, it should be in once place, clearly available, preferably on the wiki. I appreciate you have helped with DayZ filters, but more needs done in terms of proper documentation. Posting information in random threads on the forums and thinking that is enough is a poor show. We need one, definitive area that we can find all official documentation, resorting to google and the horrible forum search is unreliable.

it needs less time to take look on existing thread and filters to learn everything you need

than typing here demands for 'documentation'

next to filter lists

remoteexec.txt createvehicle.txt setpos.txt setdamage.txt deletevehicle.txt publicvariable.txt publicvariableval.txt

mpeventhandler.txt teamswitch.txt addweaponcargo.txt addmagazinecargo.txt addbackpackcargo.txt

setvariable.txt setvariableval.txt attachto.txt selectplayer.txt remotecontrol.txt waypointcondition.txt waypointstatement.txt

next to number (determines type of logging / kick / ban) on start of line

then the variable or it's content ,

then the rule set ! or != (where one is partial match and the other is exact match) ,

then the text for that ruleset

while

setvariable/publicvariable is for names of variables

setvariableval/publicvariableval is for values inside these variables

and max limit 128 entries per line (unless it was changed to 256 tho i'm not sure now lol)

and that scripts.txt is client side while rest are server side

and that's it there is nothing else ...

best way how figure what's logged is type 1 "" and play

Edited by Dwarden

There is no argument against having good documentation. Any half respectable software house takes its documentation seriously. The fact you are making it out as if it is so much work to create a page on a wiki and type what you just wrote is embarrassingly lazy. I would do it myself if I could even find the register button on the BIS wiki! I dread to think what kind of work environment it is like where people claim that writing a wiki page is a time consuming and labourous ordeal, it must be really unproductive.

I will preface by saying, I have not admin'd an A3 server at all... but am pretty familiar with BE and it's efficacy (or complete lack there of) on DayZ Servers.

Dwarden, your efforts, and knowledge regarding this situation are appreciated and greatly respected by myself, so PLEASE do not take offence.

There is literally NOT ONE secure server on ALL of DayZ mod that relies on BE for security. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH.

BE is so regularly hacked around and scripted specifically for, that most server owners have it set off... ONLY the public hive servers are bound to leave BE enabled and not run external anti-hack which is why NO ONE plays or admins on the public hive anymore... well, that's not true, hackers play on it for 30min after new version releases so they can update their BE work arounds.

SOME private hive servers, leave BE running but, they are for all intents and purposes ALSO running hacks that BE should be kicking or banning them for.

Having been in approached by, and in contact with some of the A'holes that are responsible for the hacks, gotta say, they could not be any happier about BE's existence and BI's marriage to it.

BE/BI relationship basically provide them an easy way to quickly sell their new batch of hacks, by telling BE how to detect their current batch so they can sell their "new ones" to the same folks all over again...

Then you've got all the poor idiot server hosts that buy "anti hack" software from these F'ing guys.

In DayZ you end up with entire mods, "created" (read copy/pasted/cherry picked from armaholic) that have NO CLUE about any of this and end up advertising for the very people that were creating their problems to begin with.

Anyone who wants to see how wonderfully effective BE is and has been on DayZ for OVER a year (yes since Sep 2012 DayZ Public hive has been completely taken over by hackers, if a server gets over 20 people on it, HACKERS GUARANTEED) feel free to check out my youtube channel and enjoy such amazing things as "bus box heli's" and nukes going off in Elektro... all on a BE "protected" public hive server... all latest scripts all latest ban lists updated, everything done TO A TEE as per the official announcements and releases.

The punchline of the whole thing for DayZ is, to be on the official hive you are NOT allowed to run 3rd part antihack and MUST leave BE enabled...

The only way to admin a public hive DayZ server and keep it safe is to "hack" yourself, and thereby risk getting a GUID global banned once BE actually catches up... top notch system.

I finally gave up, I changed the MOTD on my server 8-10 months ago basically informing all the players, I am totally at the mercy of BE and they do not allow me to actively admin the server, and do not update often enough or aggressively enough to prevent hacking... so, best of luck, nothing I can do.

In an effort to "help" I ended up repeatedly getting my own GUID banned for attempting to pro-actively admin the server...

and max limit 128 entries per line (unless it was changed to 256 tho i'm not sure now lol)

FYI, lots if not all hackers just started making their scripts get executed from the text chat, and they put HUGE strings of text leading their scripts so that it would be beyond your character limit and never get detected.

This of course doesn't even address the fact that memory hacking is now becoming more prevalent and is TOTALLY below the radar and out of the scope of BE's abilities....

++++

I made this suggestion over 1 year ago... Lets try it again.

There needs to be a trusted group of Server admins who are given official moderation tools, including spectate, inventory check, and rate of travel check, at the VERY LEAST (I would like to see the ability to pause a player or ALL players actions MID GAME, IE prevent them from causing further damage while you are trying to figure out if it's even them....) Think of an emergency shut off valve at a petrol station.

ANY admin caught using those tools against the spirit of the community, will get a GUID global ban, if the same admin or server is caught doing this more than 2 times, it is permanent blacklist from the group.

For ALL server hosts there should also be a player "whitelist" option AS WELL AS the banned hacker "blacklist".

That's all. Hacking problem mostly if not entirely gone.

Setup an automatic whitelist generator for clan websites so players can see the URL, atl/tab out, click the "Whitelist Me" button and boom they've been added. If they cheat, or act inappropriately they are immediately banned by the admin.

Whitelisting makes hacking for the sake of griefing almost pointless and too much of a PITA for lazy script kiddies which is at least 70-80 percent of the problem.

All that would really be needed is a report tracker for admin abuse.

Could trusting and hiring dozens of "anti hack" programmers help or maybe even solve the problem? Maybe.

Could it also lead to a HUGE security leak in your Co? Yup.

Would trusting the admins of Arma servers and the players to conduct themselves in an honorable fashion work AND cost BI not one single penny??? Cheaper and more likely to work IMO.

There needs to be a trusted group of Server admins who are given official moderation tools, including spectate, inventory check, and rate of travel check, at the VERY LEAST (I would like to see the ability to pause a player or ALL players actions MID GAME, IE prevent them from causing further damage while you are trying to figure out if it's even them....) Think of an emergency shut off valve at a petrol station.

This is pretty similar to what I posted on my wish list as well. I'm not very knowledgeable about scripting and what not but I'd like to know if this would work or if they would just find a way to override it.

Across the board Team authority to punish Team Killers/vehicle destroyers: New options for players to take matters into their own hands when admins are not online. #VoteFreezeBlind- Blinds and Freezes all actions by the player by taking away their ability to see, shoot, move, communicate, throw grenades, check inventory, or map for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or until server restart. (If there is a way to keep them from disconnecting from the server for 5 minutes just to waste their time I would like that as well.) Too many times have I had to endure someone with nothing better to do than sit in spawn or just outside and repeatedly kill teammates or blow up vehicles in an effort to cripple their team. We should have some ability to annoy them until they go away with something that constantly halts their game play via a 2/3 vote. Vote kick is ineffective because the harassing player can just return and continue or make a new profile and return…at least with this you would stop them from having as much fun. If they change their profile name then you can just vote against that name too. The servers should remember those names until it restarts or have a #Voteban - which would ban that name for 24 hours.

I’m not very fond of having admins simply because one has to be online in order for any action to be taken. The power needs to lie with the players to regulate themselves.

Perhaps we could also have a #Vote check – Which would give all other players a window in the map that would allow them to check the inventory, rate of travel, and whatever else would be useful for determining dishonest gameplay. The votes for a check should NOT be invisible to the player who is being checked, meaning it shouldn't show up in chat for that person. This would stop them from turning off their cheats before the vote was passed, unnecessary banter, and preemptive douchebaggery.

Edited by Squirrel0311

Anyone hear of coop with friends, a clan, group, squad, on private server that is locked, come and hack me if you can.

Interesting stuff but is it relevant?

Hi mate, interesting read there. But as I have alluded to is it really relevant?

Your going to say yes of course it is and I agree with you with certain caveats.

If the server is public and not passworded then yes, your post comes into play. But remember, BI do not run any public servers for A3. They are all community run. There is no "hive" system in place and there shouldn't be any. It isn't needed.

Who would qualify for this central list of server administrators as you have put it? I cannot really see the usefulness of this.

The community I play with have public nights on a Friday and Saturday. But we also have extremely good admins on at the same time.

We have problems with hackers (it is expected to an extent) but as soon as someone is caught hacking they are kicked and banned from the server never to return again.

If it is a gamebreaking hack we will simply restart the mission (we are extremely patient lol) or if it is just someone spawning helicopters at the base (which happened the other night) then we'll just carry on.

The way we do it works and we have never had an issue with it tbh. We also make sure that Battleye is enabled on the servers we run.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Anyone hear of coop with friends, a clan, group, squad, on private server that is locked, come and hack me if you can.

Exactly Gunter.

you do realize Hive is not protected by BE and it's by design insecure ? ...

properly configured BE server is as secure as you can go, next is only full SPI like firewall analyzing everything realtime (logs/netcode) with performance impact

i'm sorry nonov but your view and approch to the cheating issue is too naive ...

p.s. also if you know about undetected public or private cheat, inform BattlEye on theirs support email

Edited by Dwarden

Dwarden, your efforts, and knowledge regarding this situation are appreciated and greatly respected by myself, so PLEASE do not take offence.

There is literally NOT ONE secure server on ALL of DayZ mod that relies on BE for security. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH.

BE is so regularly hacked around and scripted specifically for, that most server owners have it set off... ONLY the public hive servers are bound to leave BE enabled and not run external anti-hack which is why NO ONE plays or admins on the public hive anymore... well, that's not true, hackers play on it for 30min after new version releases so they can update their BE work arounds.

You do understand that most of the custom "anti-cheats" work on BE scripts? Please, try turning BE off, and then see how much it will get hacked. It's obvious that BE will be "hacked around" since it's the official anti-cheat. That doesn't mean it's ineffective.

Btw. Public hives don't have any special amount of cheaters. I don't remember the last time I saw a cheater in Arma (A3, DayZ, A2)

Yes, but players shouldn't have to gather friends for a coop game or find a clan server with a decent number of people playing at that time. Even in a clan or private server you still have turds who will join just to cause trouble and get kicked. If an admin isn't on then you're simply forced to leave or wait it out while they finish having their fun.

There should be measures like the ones I stated earlier for all players, public or private, to deal with people who waste other's time.

I for one don't have set times of when I'm available to play so when I do get free time it's pretty annoying to have any of my hour or two of free time wasted by some turd with nothing better to do than kill teammates and blow up vehicles that teammates purchase.