TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

@merc to put it simply, you arent getting a "lock", per se... instead, the square/diamond indicator, is a best estimate predicted release zone for the target you have selected. Think of it as a dumbed down CCRP. However, since this isn't a true CCRP/CCIP calculation, the most effective use of the square/diamond indicator, is in a 45-60 deg dive at approximately 350-400 kph (of course releasing when the indicator is the most tightly focused; usually around 500-600m agl). The JDAM won't always pinpoint hit the target, but I have found that its typically close enough to disable most armor, and so long as you can break from your run quickly enough, and maintain evasive maneuvers to avoid AA, there's always the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th run.

I'm trying to activate night vision when I am piloting, but I can only turn on NV Hud, what Do I make wrong?

Thanks

Probably because the pilot in the F/A-18 mod at least spawns with his NV goggles in his uniform, meaning you have to take them out and put them on manually.

@merc to put it simply, you arent getting a "lock", per se... instead, the square/diamond indicator, is a best estimate predicted release zone for the target you have selected. Think of it as a dumbed down CCRP. However, since this isn't a true CCRP/CCIP calculation, the most effective use of the square/diamond indicator, is in a 45-60 deg dive at approximately 350-400 kph (of course releasing when the indicator is the most tightly focused; usually around 500-600m agl). The JDAM won't always pinpoint hit the target, but I have found that its typically close enough to disable most armor, and so long as you can break from your run quickly enough, and maintain evasive maneuvers to avoid AA, there's always the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th run.

aah thanks i was confused becasue every time i would fire it would hit directly on targ i guess im just lucky

No the bombs DO lock on, which is fine by me I actually prefer it compared to the clusterfuck that is Mandos Missile Box in A2 to drop precision ordnance.

I've flown in perfectly level, locked onto three separate tanks and released the bombs within a matter of seconds with precise hits on the turrets of each of the MBT's. The JDAMs flew at different angles towards the different tanks.

i am CONFUSED AS FUCK :p

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

[/color]f this ill just get you an in game screenshot brb :D

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

[/color]here is the link to my steam screenshots and it shows you how it happens

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198035538186/screenshots/

hmm merc591, i just tried it myself after being convinced from your screenshots and it worked for me as well, maybe BIS added that kind of functionality with a recent patch? Because ive never been able to tab lock onto vehicles with JDAMs with a single white square at all

hmm merc591, i just tried it myself after being convinced from your screenshots and it worked for me as well, maybe BIS added that kind of functionality with a recent patch? Because ive never been able to tab lock onto vehicles with JDAMs with a single white square at all

i believe the standard bomb that comes with the fa/18 doesnt lock on i think all the other gbus seem to work though

---------- Post added at 03:56 ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 ----------

also question for the developers the harpoon anti ship missile does it pack more explosive power than the standard equipped AGM or it the largeness of the missile just asthetics

@Merc - it does have a larger warhead then the Maverick (AGM-65d) as well as longer range. However it is not capable of great meanuvers. Eventually we will have it scripted in where it launches from high altitude and then drops down to sea level to hit the side of ships, like the real thing. Also won't be able to target land based vehicles with it either. Again most of the built in missile box is WIP.

Just had the most fun in a long time with Arma just putting a F18F down putting some move waypoints on the map arround the coast on Altis

and just sitting in the back. Some music on, it's just like the other ofp/arma games, backseating with AI is quite fun, they make hard turns all the time,

and backseat gives cool perspective on the wings. That was really fun! Doesn't the rear seat have a mirrored image on the head up monitor

of the HUD of the frontseat, is that doable in arma??? Forward sight is 0,0 in the backseat

edit

Can we have something to do an airshow? ie. smoke pods?

edit2

2013-11-28_00017.jpg

Just this...

Edited by -HUNTER-_

hey guys, is it somehow possible to make the skin selection global, so every player on the server sees the skin you took for the f18 ?

hey guys, is it somehow possible to make the skin selection global, so every player on the server sees the skin you took for the f18 ?

The setObjectGlobal command is still being fixed to work properly in JIP.

It is possible, and we are planning on putting it in with the new HDR settings.

Hey Saul and John,

first, thank you for probably the best Arma 3 mod out there so far. I only wish that BI studios could produce content as well as you two can.

secondly, I have noticed that you can no longer lock on with GBUs without the target being lased (unless there's a problem on my end). Realistic, yes, but in single player, it makes bombs practically useless, especially against air defense.

I am a big DCS: A-10C fan, and if I recall correctly, the GBU-38 (and any other JDAMS available) are GPS guided, and do not require a laser for guidance. It would be nice if at least the JDAMS could lock on to a target without needing laser. It makes sense. If I remember correctly, you are only allowed to mount one JDAM on a pylon (the way it is in real life). You would be giving up two mavericks in exchange for a bomb that cannot be as easily defeated by popping smoke, and allows you to lock on without needing JTAC. Sounds like a reasonable trade to me.

Just a thought, I hope you consider.

ave,

the_Demongod

Edited by the_Demongod

At last check, GPS/INS is still not enabled/implemented for the JDAMs.

Also, apparently GBU-38s at least (based on the Mk 82) are supported two-per-rack?

@All

ADVANCED WEAPONS SIMULATION

Like Saul mentioned already earlier F/A-18 projects missile box is still WIP, the same as upcoming missile box for Su-35S. So please be patient.

Our idea is to wait a little till other two BI aircraft are released with the rest of campaign [F35 and Yak130 - I assume], to see which way BI are taking fixed wing simulation. BI is very careful to announce what is coming down the pipeline on this subject, but once out it can change our game plan. Please understand that we are only adding content based on what BI has implemented within a platform, we can script some heavy features but that wont be same as built in vanilla feature.

So now we goanna finish up Su-35S to same level as F/A-18 and then once we know for sure what needs to added [what BI left out] we are goanna update our mods.

So plan we would like to archive by the end of this project on weapons is following:

- ARMA vanilla "Tab Lock" stays but with a slight adjustment of target/weapons separation

- AIM9x and R73 are IR guided and can lock only IR targets on close range [vehicles and aircraft]

- AIM120 and R77 are radar guided and can lock on air targets only on medium range, plus proximity fuse added

- AGM56 and Kh29 is a missile to counter ground targets only, laser and IR lock [not as realist but will fit the gameplay]

- LGB12 and KAB500 are laser guided bombs only

- JDAMS are GPS guided only, so a dialog will be created to select a target on the map and acquire lock on it without a help of other units

- AGM84 would be getting a scripted cruise missile behaviour and only ships can be its targets

Few other things maybe but lets discuss all that after Xmas when we see more of A3 engine upgrades and what BI have prepared for us.

We definitely are not going "mando missiles" way, I would say Franze's and NodUnit's proven concepts on AH64 is a guide on this matter if we end up doing all by ourselves without BI taking a lead on this "Tab lock" issue.

@John

One more question though while we're on the subject. Isn't it (theoratically) possible to lase you're own targets? Wether its by the use of a copilot in the gunners seat, which if I recall correctly already has a laser designator. Or by doing it yourself by making use of the targeting pod.

I'm not an expert but I believe in the military a JTAC is mostly used to call out positions and movement of enemy units, and to lase only when the pilot does not have a clear line of sight to the target. So that when the GBU comes close enough, it will lock onto the lase of the JTAC's lase.

@Tuna, giving one aircraft all that would make it a very unbalanced/strong unit. Would gameplay be interesting if you can easily wipe out whole OPFOR as one pilot? Even thou it is possible.

Saul and me have a new concept on this matter planned and we would like to actually push more towards coop gameplay. For me personally ARMA is not a flight sim or just an infantry shooter. ARMA is about as close as you get to combined arms simulation. So maybe its worth to focus on that?

If only we had Mandoble around for his SAM site crafting and scripting knowledge. Those SAMs would level the playing field :) I can remember, fondly, flying a jet over Sahrani and 3 SAMs chasing me down, with their long white smoke plumes.

Loving the F18 at the moment guys - works well in ALiVE :)

@John

I see. So being that the focus will be on COOP does that mean that a copilot or a buddy in another F-18 can lase for you?

@Kremator

Yeah that would be nice but I'm pretty sure Saul and Spartan's plan is to balance the F-18 with the SU-35. But who knows, maybe an idea for the future.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

@Tuna, giving one aircraft all that would make it a very unbalanced/strong unit. Would gameplay be interesting if you can easily wipe out whole OPFOR as one pilot? Even thou it is possible.

Saul and me have a new concept on this matter planned and we would like to actually push more towards coop gameplay. For me personally ARMA is not a flight sim or just an infantry shooter. ARMA is about as close as you get to combined arms simulation. So maybe its worth to focus on that?

Gameplay would be interesting because jets can completely decimate. But it's a mission makers choice, they could could disable anything they deem to powerful while other mission makers may want to use more powerful weapons.

---------- Post added at 04:11 ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 ----------

@John

I see. So being that the focus will be on COOP does that mean that a copilot or a buddy in another F-18 can lase for you?

@Kremator

Yeah that would be nice but I'm pretty sure Saul and Spartan's plan is to balance the F-18 with the SU-35. But who knows, maybe an idea for the future.

If one has an easier time beating the other, so what? Adjust the weapons they are using or pair them up. Theya re two very different aircraft and should not be balanced to be similar.

If one has an easier time beating the other, so what? Adjust the weapons they are using or pair them up. Theya re two very different aircraft and should not be balanced to be similar.

This would be a pretty good argument if Arma could come even close to simulating the advantages and disadvantages of different aircraft. Especially since a large part of what gives modern aircraft an edge is their avionics packages, which is completely unsimulated in Arma.