TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

@Rory wreck clasname in game is - JS_JC_FA18Wreck

@Pro, please see confirmed features list. We are goanna focus on all that first and all others stuff you mentioned is more likely not to be implemented, at least we cant give you any promises on that. I understand that you would love to see a DCS level model/simulation in Combined Arms environment, but there are limitations not only game engine. Also SU35 we are putting a lot of focus now is taking a lot of our time.

@GranolaBar, interesting idea, I have thought about something like Carrier service menu, but at the moment we will stick to the game plan mate.

@All - to set up an AI or human controlled F/A-18 F as a support [4 external tanks + buddy pod] use following code in units initialization field:

fa18tanker = this execvm "js_jc_fa18\scripts\LOADOUTS\FA18_tanker_loadout.sqf";

[F model only]

place AI support unit, reduce initial fuel on your plane and you can practice mid air refuelling's.

I´ve used it in Dev branch and it worked alright (didn´t test the buddy pod yet), of course I had to test the ejection and I really missed a FOOOOSH (the rocket motor sound of the ejecting seat), but as it is a WIP, I guess the sound wasn´t introduced yet... the sequence worked as it should (canopy ejection and some seconds after the seat ejection, and my pilot landed safe and sound even on the zero-zero condition)

Great work as usual, guys! Kudos!

[/color]I am no expert but don't real life ejection seats contain the parachute and not use a parachute on the pilots back?

Negatory

The seat blasts the pilot out of the cockpit and clear of the aircraft, then separates from the pilot.

I believe this video will give a better illustration of RL ejection sequence [at least we am aiming to simulate this as far as we can within ARMA]

As far as I have researched for the F/A-18 E/F the ejection seat is the Martin Baker Mk. 14 NACES seat under the SJU-17 designation. The main recovery parachute is housed in the headrest and deployed by a rocket which is located on the left main beam assembly. The parachute contained in the top headrest of the seat is not directly attached to the seat but rather to the pilot using the MA-2 type torso harness.

sju17.gif

In this image you can see the parachute straps coming out of the containing lid of the headrest and MA-2 connections resting on the backrest of the seat.

BTW I did not thought that ejection will be so important feature when it comes to ARMA and this mod. Maybe we should open a Flight School:)

Can you believe, that when I had the opportunity to get inside one F18 about ten years ago, I didn't even think of where it was? ( I was just worried about not activating it accidentally xD ). But good to know xD

@Trauma, no not meant to be used in such way, but with a slight script in your mission [based on attach to command where memory point in end of fuel drogue is "refuel_drogue"] you can attach a "fake" invisible targetable unit call it FA18 so when it appears on enemy radar and is attached to FA18 it kind of covers/shields the real one and will be 'tab locked" as priority. In that way even if missile hits it only its indirect hit will affect real FA18.

_FA18_TANKER animate ["fuel_drogue",1];

_Fake_target attachTo [_FA18_TANKER,[0.0,0.0,0.0],"refuel_drogue"];

Hi John, very happ to see the aerial refueling feature again! I see this is a "dev" version and it's better wait till 31 but got one question, yesterday we test the fuel drogue without success, with "old" arma 2 F18 we never got any problems. There's something to put into init or some action we need to do? I noticed some lag between me and my mate due to connection, maybe it's only due to this

@Ramius - we will need some more specific info of conditions where it fails.

So far as long as you are pilot in F model, you can equip a "Buddy Pod" + few extra fuel tanks. Action "extend fuel drogue" should be available once in mid air. Other pilot [regardless e/f model] has to extend his refuel probe, close in on distance of 100 m and use action "refuel at buddy pod";

That's the easiest way to trail it or use code in few posts above to set up AI tanker to refuel from.

Let me know how it works for you, thanks for feedback

We missed that "refuel at buddy pod" action, we will try again, thank you !

sorry if you answered this before but how can I get the AI to deploy the drogue

sorry if you answered this before but how can I get the AI to deploy the drogue

Two options:

1. if Ai is already in mid air with loadout to support mid air refuel -

fa18tanker = this execvm "js_jc_fa18\scripts\LOADOUTS\FA18_tanker_loadout.sqf";

once you get to 100 m distance use action "Request refuelling", wait unti AI automatically deploys drogue and then use action "Refuel at buddy pod"

2. Set up AI plane where in its init script again use -

fa18tanker = this execvm "js_jc_fa18\scripts\LOADOUTS\FA18_tanker_loadout.sqf"; this animate ["fuel_drogue",1];
with this dual command in AI plane init script it will be flying already with drogue extended and only thing you need is accurately close in on 100 m distance and call action "refuel at buddy pod" Edited by John_Spartan

ahhh tank you so much, I didn't know you could fly behind and just request it manually! thought I had to somehow make the AI do the action.

I was doing this with a couple of mates and I thought that the Refuel at buddy pod was just to tell the game that you were about to refuel but I was wrong, just tested it out in single player and it worked perfectly only issue I had was that the AI was stuck at doing 820 km/h which was annoying, I tried using this forcespeed 400 but that didnt do much

edit: found out that forcespeed sets the unit in m/s speed so no wonder why it was going so fast!

now i have it set to 150 and thats much better, makes the unit fly at 540 km/h

ALSO you might want to fix the missing location with when you are rearming and then decide to move away which then should make your plane exec the empty code but its set to the wrong location, you have the code to set the fa18 location to js_fa18 rather than js_jc_fa18! also the external fuel will not drop bellow 75% I believe, have tried this with 1 exteral pod and 4 others and it will not go below!

EDIT #2: don't worry about the fuel not dropping I didn't know that it takes a long time to update!

Edited by Lala14

@Rory wreck clasname in game is - JS_JC_FA18Wreck

@Pro, please see confirmed features list. We are goanna focus on all that first and all others stuff you mentioned is more likely not to be implemented, at least we cant give you any promises on that. I understand that you would love to see a DCS level model/simulation in Combined Arms environment, but there are limitations not only game engine. Also SU35 we are putting a lot of focus now is taking a lot of our time.

@GranolaBar, interesting idea, I have thought about something like Carrier service menu, but at the moment we will stick to the game plan mate.

@All - to set up an AI or human controlled F/A-18 F as a support [4 external tanks + buddy pod] use following code in units initialization field:

[F model only]

place AI support unit, reduce initial fuel on your plane and you can practice mid air refuelling's.

I updated the topic of the Nimitz about a Towing Tractor would give the possibility to forwarding with a plane.

I don't know if your plane in Arma 3 need more work about it but i don't think or if this idea give you more suggestions.

Exemple of the very old towing tractor of Arma 2 :

Hello All, I have been using the FA18 mod and it is absolutely fantastic, really awesome job on this. I just upgraded to.054 from Rory_pamphilon and I am getting the following two errors.

MPmissions/__CUR_MP.altis\mission.sqm/mission/vehicles/item1.vehicle:vehicle class JS_JC_FA18F no longer exists

JS_JC_FA18\scripts\misc\FA18_foldwings.sqf Not Found

Thanks

Negatory

The seat blasts the pilot out of the cockpit and clear of the aircraft, then separates from the pilot.

As John_Spartan mentioned, that is incorrect for the NACES seat. The only thing the pilot wears when strapping in is his torso harness/vest/flotation and the G-suit. The chute and the seat pan are in the seat. When he connects his torso harness to the Koch fittings of the seat, he's connecting himself with the chute, which is in the head rest.

In answer to an earlier question regarding the aerobrakes, they are actually the twin rudder surfaces, that when turned inward (by the pilot pressing the toe brakes), act as spoilers/aerobrakes. This jet pretty accurately simulates that action.

Is it just me or is your armaholic link on the front page not working?

Completely Gone! no reasoning on the Armaholic pages as to why. It sin't even in the addons section anymore.

Completely Gone! no reasoning on the Armaholic pages as to why. It sin't even in the addons section anymore.

I would suggest messaging the author or Foxhound as to why the addon is missing.

Maybe read all john_spartan message :) btw the download link is posted here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?164308-F-A-18-Super-Hornet-for-ARMA-3&p=2544465&viewfull=1#post2544465

VERSION 1.49 RELEASE

....[CUT]....

So as promised we are delivering our next update on this project. Please note that this version is STABLE VERSION ONLY. It will not function properly with DEV build. Next Friday when next BIS official patch will be released we will update it again if necessary [it looks like it will be needed, from what I saw on DEV built]

Also some of the features like ejection script is still WIP so please post feedback and we will update the functions and make them more realistic and in game style like.

PLEASE DONT MIRROR THIS VERSION, NEXT STABLE UPDATE EXPECTED ON 31.10.13.

Enjoy !!!

@Everyone - Armaholic link will be back with the next update, within a day after next BIS ArmA 3 patch, when campaign will be released on STABLE branch. Since there is a chance that this mod and its functionality might be affected/broken with next update and we promised and released recent updates, which we will need to update again in a week to avoid to many different versions hosted on Armaholic and here we decided to keep only one download link here for now. Armaholic link will be back so and updated with latest version, don't worry lads.

@T1DSecure, do you have resolved the issue? This is the first time we see error like this. I can guess that its something with how mods are set up. Mission is calling for right calsnames and script paths, its just not there, so maybe checking is the FA18 mod installed [see the readme with download] and activated thry the options/expansion in game. Let me know if you can acces FA18's in editor but the mission still gives you this error.

@Penguin - patience and it all will be done, check Sauls confirmed features list on first post