TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

yes you can lock armored at 12km, but is it also true for laser designator ?

that mean if JDAM system is based on AGM system then we will be able to lock at 12km away also.

Thats what Im saying... You can lock the laservfrom the same distance.

I do not know why, I F18E / F parachute landing will explode when the crash happened just as I, like, it makes me feel very egg pain, hope to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Then How can i lock the target at 12km far away? i set the target at mountain which there are many trees and rocks but can't lock the targer (the square) is this because i played in A3MP or it just work as laser guide so those trees hide the marked target. comfirm this please :(

As i said before it's work at flat ground but can't even lock like house or trees and rocks

and yes it need DIAMOND LOCKING unless it didn't hit the target directly

With the 1.61 test version you dont need the diamond. Ill put up a demo video soon.

You dont need to lock houses, you place the 'gps target' where ever you want and lock it.

- be within 2.5 km

- have the location 'on the nose'

- no obstructions between you and the target

Once locked, you can drop the bomb from any altitude. As long the bomb has enough 'energy' (either potential or kynetic) to reach it's target.

Edited by 87th_Neptune

With the 1.61 test version you dont need the diamond. Ill put up a demo video soon.

You dont need to lock houses, you place the 'gps target' where ever you want and lock it.

- be within 2.5 km

- have the location 'on the nose'

Once locked, you can drop the bomb from any altitude. As long the bomb has enough 'energy' (either potential or kynetic) to reach it's target.

The lock what i mean is if i put the gps coordinate at house or some kind of structures, I can't lock on 'gps target'

And thank to your video upload soon. that will make lots of people like me to convinced

Edited by kgino1045

I noticed obstructions of the 'gps target' object keeps you from locking the target. I.e. behind a hill, between rocks, in a building, etc

So that observation is indeed correct.

IMO the whole 'locking' should be get tid off. The pilots should just punch in a grid location+elevation and the bomb should just 'try' to go there.

from my limited testing I concluded you will hit your target 100% if there's a square-diamond combo on your cockpit HUD, if I pressed Tab at that point and released the bomb, it would always hit the white square on the target

I need to rectify my 2nd post above. Not sure how my finding can be so wrong...

- I had no problems what so ever locking the GPS target when it was inside a building (This is a problem with the laser target, but thats logical and off topic)

- Sotophx's test prove to be correct and accurate! The JDAMs do NOT work as they should in 1.61. You still need to lock/diamond.

- The lock diamond DOES however come up at any altitude, with a little steeper angle than for a manual unguided release. (Which makes sense because you want the bomb to have some manouverablity.)

Thinking about it, the lock diamond does give you an idea on when to drop the bomb. So in that sence it's fine

Personally I'd love to see the bomb just tracking a grid position. (Working on my own script as we speak)

IMO still the only 'not so nice' part is you have to be as close as 2,8km to lock up the target. Two features which would atleast me very happy:

- Locking from any range

- Inputting a grid using the keyboard.

I just wanted to say thank for the update. Nice to see you managed to bring in the feature I suggested! Big thanks again.

here's how JDAMs work for me. made a video for visualization/educational purposes

you are not locking anything because you get anything. It is not because it is in the HUD that mean you are getting the target. It is not because you have the diamond in the HUD that mean you have locked the target.

You have to do like all other aircraft with all other bombs. All lock system are working in the same way in arma.

TAB (or T ) then lock ( by having the good position )

Edited by izaiak

it's in the HUD when the target is withing drawing distance. it has a diamond when I press Tab. then I don't need to wait for the sound, it will guide the missile regardless.

1stRun: Simmelar attack as Sorophx. As you can see...no problem hitting the church and you can clearly see me locking...get a diamond and eventually the bomb tracking the target

2nd run: Lockup when at 2.8km then run away for a safe delivery from high up. Note the initial bomb correction and direct hit of a GPS location INSIDE a building again.

I understand it will track regardless when within 2.8 km bit getting that close with JDAM kinda defeats the purpose of the bomb. ;) Edited by 87th_Neptune

I understand it will track regardless when within 2.8 km bit getting that close with JDAM kinda defeats the purpose of the bomb. ;)

yeah, but in Arma it rarely matters anyway. besides, if you need to get this close to get a lock may as well drop the damn thing :rolleyes:

Exactly....which defeats the purpose of JDAM.

The pilot should technically be able to release the bomb and hit it's target from 11km altitude.

Try putting several air defence arround a target. You will get your ass shot before you get within 2.8km

Exactly....which defeats the purpose of JDAM.

The pilot should technically be able to release the bomb and hit it's target from 11km altitude.

Try putting several air defence arround a target. You will get your ass shot before you get within 2.8km

Can we please stop this discussion. The feature that is currently inmpelented as GPS in the F-18 is a proof of concept. I'm sure Spartan and Saul will improve it with future updates.

Take it easy Tuna. Spartan asked us to test and comment in this thread, so we do. So no we won't stop discussing. This was really getting somewhere.

Izaiak, Sorophx and me had different approaches to dropping the JDAM which exploited some flaws:

1. GPS target only showing up at 2.8km -> making it impossible to lock from safe distance

2. JDAM not tracking when released outside this range

3. When just releasing on 'lock' without a white-diamond, the JDAM is not tracking targets which are obstructed, like inside a building.

I'm confident Spartan and Saul can do something with all this testing from 3 different people. And I'm confident they will when they go back to their hobby, if life permits.

Take it easy Tuna. Spartan asked us to test and comment in this thread, so we do. So no we won't stop discussing. This was really getting somewhere.

Izaiak, Sorophx and me had different approaches to dropping the JDAM which exploited some flaws:

1. GPS target only showing up at 2.8km -> making it impossible to lock from safe distance

2. JDAM not tracking when released outside this range

3. When just releasing on 'lock' without a white-diamond, the JDAM is not tracking targets which are obstructed, like inside a building.

I'm confident Spartan and Saul can do something with all this testing from 3 different people. And I'm confident they will when they go back to their hobby, if life permits.

I understand. But don't you think they know what still needs to be done? It seems to me to be very clear that the GPS doesn't function properly yet, because you are right when you say there isn't a purpose for a Jdam if you can't drop it from far away and high up. But I believe they just want to hear about the bugs and glitches.

btw I had an odd bug. after landing I couldn't stop my plane. holding "Z" would slow it down but not stop completely. only turning engines off would stop the aircraft. I didn't try to reproduce it, though. I will try to tomorrow

Understanding why its a problem not being able to lock the target from far distances helps understanding why it actually IS a bug.

Imagine this was about a wire guided TOW. This wouldn't be an issue at all.

So now lets stop discussing about why we're discussing and continue the discussion.

Lol I almost typed discusting.

Edited by 87th_Neptune
discusting

btw I had an odd bug. after landing I couldn't stop my plane. holding "Z" would slow it down but not stop completely. only turning engines off would stop the aircraft. I didn't try to reproduce it, though. I will try to tomorrow

This I think you will find is new BI code. Without any mods I tested BIs 2 new aircraft and saw this same effect.