tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting the installer to run. I follow the instructions and add the contents of the installer to my Arma 3 folder I run installer.bat but it keeps saying it's not in the same folder as the TPW package. What am I doing wrong?

Hey, I finally figured out how to make the HUD a bit less cheaty. I added an additional line of code that checks if the goggle's wearer side knows about unit the script tries to add to the HUD display array. This way enemy units will not be shown to player unless someone actually spots/reports them.

for "_i" from 0 to (count tpw_hud_gogglewearers - 1) do
		{
			private _gog = tpw_hud_gogglewearers select _i;
			if (([objNull, "VIEW"] checkVisibility [eyePos _unit, eyepos _gog] > 0) &&
			((side _gog) knowsAbout _unit) >= 1) // TARO: checks if the goggle wearer's side knows about the spotted unit
			exitwith
				{
				_visunits pushback _unit;
				};
			};	
		};

• Like 1

It just make it so that when you have automatic reporting turned off you need to actually look at the enemy and press T (or whatever you have bound to reveal target). It makes it work kinda like Far Cry marking system. I must say it feels really cool to set up an OP and then carefully scan the area with binos and try to mark as many enemies as possible. Personally I like how it feels: I need to earn the enemy marking if I'm alone, and I still get enemy marked if someone from my group or even side (you can change that BTW) has eyes on.

Z-axis (height) of the markers is still borked though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, taro8 said:

It just make it so that when you have automatic reporting turned off you need to actually look at the enemy and press T (or whatever you have bound to reveal target). It makes it work kinda like Far Cry marking system. I must say it feels really cool to set up an OP and then carefully scan the area with binos and try to mark as many enemies as possible. Personally I like how it feels: I need to earn the enemy marking if I'm alone, and I still get enemy marked if someone from my group or even side (you can change that BTW) has eyes on.

Z-axis (height) of the markers is still borked though.

My scenarios are meeting engagements,  where I try to simulate both sides building up forces in contact.  It is hard to tag or mark eny because they are moving all the time. With TPW's marking system I get a general ideas of where eny forces are, but I also know that more forces are following on, but I do not know from where and to where.  The marking system helps prevent me from getting swamped.

Do note this just my personal tweak.

EDIT: for some reason the simplified markers do not show up for vehicles.
EDIT: It seems that you need to check if the goggle wearers knows about the vehicle, like this: ((group _gog) knowsAbout (vehicle _unit))

NOTE: I figured out why the marker height was wrong: you used getPos, instead use getPosATL.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Firstly, please excuse my almost total lack of communication lately. I have to admit that my enthusiasm for maintaining TPW MODS pretty much mirrors BIS's enthusiasm for Arma3 itself - waning .I've also been incredibly busy and not feeling motivated after a big day of Python wrangling at work to sit down and track down the ever increasing pile of bugs (thanks for submitting them by the way), especially since many of them (such as the dreaded No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgSounds/aim6.titles') I can't replicate.

Lucky for you I just got out of hospital after slicing my hand open on some broken glass in by back garden, so have a few days off to work on some of this stuff, as well as some performance enhancements I've been meaning to look into for some time. I've already got a massive boost for TPW CROWDS by optimising the visibility code. TPW PARK is a perennial thorn in my arse which has long caused CPU hits from the overhead of spawning cars, and I'm trying to implement a workaround for this. There are some strange cfg issues with TPW SOUNDS, resulting in the missing sounds errors that some of you have noticed. I can assure you that the sounds are actually there and referenced correctly in the cfg, so just another Arma3 vagary to work around.     

So please bear with me and don't get upset if your particular bug report or feature request is not implemented with sufficient alacrity. I hope to release something soon. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, tpw said:

TPW PARK is a perennial thorn in my arse which has long caused CPU hits from the overhead of spawning cars, and I'm trying to implement a workaround for this.

1 hour ago, tpw said:

Park is a PITA, to be sure, but what gets bad sometimes is new vehicles moving into view and piling up.  At one point with seven total vehicles in just a few seconds, an intersection in a small village looked like Bennies EZ Credit Auto Sales.  So, I was thinking, if the player could limit the total number of civilian vehicles within a radius, whether they are driven in or parked, so that no more cars can be parked or driven in, that might work.

My main work around, since I run a lot a armored games, is to simply bypass the town and let the bots deal with one another

Man this mod sounds amazing, I just have a question related to dedicated servers.  I know that the mod dev has stated that these mods/scripts don't work on a dedicated box as these mods are designed and created for SP.  But may I ask why they don't work on a dedicated server? Have they been tested? Can we modify the scripts so that it does work on a dedicated box? ( I am pretty sure I am allowed to as it says "Feel free to use and modify this code.....") Has anyone who has plenty of scripting knowledge actual tried?

Also, great job tpw in continuing to update a mod that was first posted in 2013.  True dedication to the Arma community :D

Peace.

It's people like you that make Arma 3 fun to play. I love your mod. It's my most used mod. I was wondering why there wasn't a update. Been getting the TPW SOUNDS error too. No biggie. Thanks for the hard work. 

@tpw Hope your hand gets better mate,i also just came back after a short break.

Downloaded your most recent update,as always,amazing.This TPW mods has come a long way,everytime i come back to Arma3 and update TPW,the config.hpp has sth totally new.Awesome.

TPW park causing CPU overhead,consider spawning the vehicles in as "simple objects". Not ideal but would solve the issue perhaps.

23 hours ago, TPM_Aus said:

Man this mod sounds amazing, I just have a question related to dedicated servers.  I know that the mod dev has stated that these mods/scripts don't work on a dedicated box as these mods are designed and created for SP.  But may I ask why they don't work on a dedicated server? Have they been tested? Can we modify the scripts so that it does work on a dedicated box? ( I am pretty sure I am allowed to as it says "Feel free to use and modify this code.....") Has anyone who has plenty of scripting knowledge actual tried?

I see why you posted this. This mod brings so much joy to the single player experience, it feels like a waste to use it only under those circumstances. As I recall reading it somewhere, its the author who says that he is only playing SP and it is too much of a hassle to adapt it to MP.
However, it is my experience that the "simple parts" of the mod do work in MP, starting a local server, albeit not tested under full load (dedicated server with 40+ pax playing). So you could try with just AIR, ANIMALS, BOATS, CARS, CIVS, FIREFLIES, FURNITURE, HOUSELIGHTS, PARK, RADIO, and SONIC AMBIENCE on.

TPW MODS 20180922: https://www.dropbox.com/s/18a0z17migpu3dj/TPW_MODS_20180922.zip

Changes:

5TH ANNIVERSARY OF TPW MODS!
[HPP UPDATE REQUIRED]

• [CORE 1.61, FOG 1.67, SOAP 1.37] Added Sennoe and Hebontes to region lists. 
  • [CROWDS 1.13] Simplified visibility calculations for a massive decrease in CPU spiking.
  • [FALL 1.66] Noises for looking down sights can be disabled.
  • [FIREFLIES 1.07] Reduced fly volume and radius around rubbish bins.
  • [FOG 1.67] Reduced fog density on Tanoa.
  • [PARK 1.24] Totally refactored the code: uses prespawned cars for much lower CPU use and far fewer close vehicle popins.
  • [RADIO 1.32] Fixed the "Sound TPW_SOUNDS\sounds\radio\radioXX.ogg not found" error messages when radio played near vehicles.
  • [RAINFX 1.18] Rain droplet noises can be disabled.
  • [SOAP 1.37] Added conversational Greek sounds to complement the existing market and restaurant ambience. Added sounds of distant children.

240_F_155618592_ojDe7UZS8U4xKjULyqjb8Uo7

F#$% me, this month marks 5 years since I released TPW MODS! I'd released various mods piecemeal for A2 and A3 since 2011, and finally decided to bundle them all up into a single more easily maintained and documented mod which I first released September 15, 2013. A quick glance at the changelog shows how I've continued to refine and expand upon the release, mainly thanks to so much awesome input, feedback, help, friendship and suggestions from the incredible Arma community. The community is the reason why I have literally thousands of hours sunk into A3, a game which most of us consider equal parts inspiring and infuriating. It's amazing that a game with such incredible developer support, remains so disappointingly poorly optimised, bugridden and feature incomplete 5+ years after release. I guess the large numbers of us who persist with it are testament to the fact that no other game offers anything remotely like the A3 sandbox. Being able to mod for this game has kept me interested and focussed and creative, got me through some pretty rough times in my life, and allowed me to create the Arma3 experience that I want to keep playing, despite the game's numerous flaws (most of which will now never be resolved). I'm gratified that you guys get some enjoyment out of TPW MODs, and I'm very grateful to BIS (despite my whingeing) and to you all for the continued feedback, suggestions, bug reports and kind words. 

OK, enough about you, let's talk about me!

This release contains a pretty significant batch of changes. Chief among these is some serious optimisation and retooling of TPW CROWDS and TPW PARK. Both of these were causing some significant framerate hits and stuttering. It turns out that the overhead of the calculations to best determine when to hide/show cars and civs was higher than the overhead of just bloody showing them all the time! So I stripped them out and the performance improvement was amazing. Additionally, the hit when spawning in cars is very high. So rather than spawn them in as required, I prespawn a bunch of cars and hide them off map, and simply move them into parking spots as required. The end result is that both cars and civs now appear around the player much more naturally and with far less popin and CPU spiking. 

I've also paid some attention to TPW SOAP, adding a whole raft of conversational Greek voices, so that it now sounds less like you're in an Athenian fish market. I grew up in Melbourne, which has the second biggest Greek population outside of Athens (true), and one thing I learned from my Greek mates is that Greeks love to talk! So TPW SOAP is now more reflective of this. I also added a number of sounds to simulate noisy kids off in the distance, which really adds to the realism and immersion.      

And lastly I've made a large number of bug fixes and miscellaneous improvements.   And I did it all unable to type properly with my left hand :)

Cheers guys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 17

Awesome job.  I used to play soccer with a few Greeks in Townsville (QLD) and yes, they do love to talk lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tpw said:

F#$% me, this month marks 5 years since I released TPW MODS!

1 hour ago, tpw said:

conversational Greek voices

Thank you very much for all this work !

• Like 1

TPW mods is an Arma 3 mod that confidently pushes together the adjective hard core with the noun fun.

Well done, and get well soonish.

• Like 1

How do I install this, when i run the .bat file it says it isn't in the same folder as the main TPW folder, what am I doing wrong?

Congrats my friend! 5 years support for bettering this game is quite the feat. I am AFK for a couple more weeks but am already keen to see what performance improvements the latest tpw mods will bring. Cheers mate

• Like 1

Hi, TPW!

Big congrats to your Anniversary!!!

Sorry for my question, but please tell me, how to use RHS factions in your TPW skirmish option?

I tried different names of factions and nothing works good.

For example:

tpw_skirmish_friendlyunitstring[] = {"rhsusf"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select friendly units from config
tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehiclestring[] = {"rhsusf"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select friendly vehicles from config
tpw_skirmish_enemyunitstring[] = {"rhs"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select enemy units from config
tpw_skirmish_enemyvehiclestring[] = {"rhs"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select enemy vehicles from config
tpw_skirmish_resistunitstring[] = {"rhsgref_ins_g"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select resistance units from config
tpw_skirmish_resistvehiclestring[] = {"rhsgref_ins_g"}; // Custom string (comma separated) to select resistance vehicles from config

• Like 1

10 hours ago, superdude22 said:

How do I install this, when i run the .bat file it says it isn't in the same folder as the main TPW folder, what am I doing wrong?

Let's say you extract the zip to your D:\ drive, so that you have

D:\@TPW_MODS

D:\installer

You just need to move install.bat out of the installer folder

D:\installer.bat

If you run that you'll be golden. The readme inside the installer folder maybe does not make this clear enough. I'll reorganise the download so that install.bat is no longer inside its own folder

7 hours ago, Realthinged said:

Hi, TPW!

Big congrats to your Anniversary!!!

Sorry for my question, but please tell me, how to use RHS factions in your TPW skirmish option?

I tried different manes of factions and nothing works good.

For example:

tpw_skirmish_friendlyunitstring[] = {"rhsusf"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select friendly units from config
tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehiclestring[] = {"rhsusf"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select friendly vehicles from config
tpw_skirmish_enemyunitstring[] = {"rhs"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select enemy units from config
tpw_skirmish_enemyvehiclestring[] = {"rhs"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select enemy vehicles from config
tpw_skirmish_resistunitstring[] = {"rhsgref_ins_g"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select resistance units from config
tpw_skirmish_resistvehiclestring[] = {"rhsgref_ins_g"}; // Custom string (comma separated) to select resistance vehicles from config

Can you send me the rest of your skirmish settings and I'll try to track it down.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2018 at 1:51 AM, arma131 said:

One other thing, my civs often spawn with IDAP gear when they do seem to work. I've seen them running around donning white helmets, driving IDAP vans, wearing IDAP t-shirts etc.

Hi Arma131

Have a look at your HPP:

tpw_core_excludestrings[] = {}; // classname strings to exclude

Change it to 

tpw_core_excludestrings[] = {"IDAP"}; // classname strings to exclude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tpw said:

Hi Arma131

Have a look at your HPP:

tpw_core_excludestrings[] = {}; // classname strings to exclude

Change it to 

tpw_core_excludestrings[] = {"IDAP"}; // classname strings to exclude

Thanks it seems to be working.

TPW MODS 20180924: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y46ug5szs1ytvw1/TPW_MODS_20180924.zip

Changes:

• [ALL] Changed installer location and documentation to avoid confusion.
  • [CIVS 1.60, CROWDS 1.14] Will now spawn Persians in standard clothing as civs on mideast and central asian maps, if not using CUP civs.
  • [CORE 1.62, FOG 1.68, SOAP 1.38] Added Saint Kapaulio, Wamako to region lists.
  • [PARK 1.25] Parked cars always spawned undamaged. 
  • [RADIO 1.33] Reduced player radio volume. Fixed random time between radio messages.

Might as well make hay while the sun shines. Here's an additional update which fixes the overly loud and constant radio bug which I managed to introduce with the last update. I've made the installer a bit more logical too. And lastly, I've made some changes to civilian spawning so that on appropriate middle eastern/central asian maps they'll be spawned as Persians in more modern clothing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I have a question about your animal spawns(Goats,Sheep,poultry).I've been working on a Ravage mission for Crazy Mike's Winter 2035 terrain & the problem is not seeing any animal spawns outside of the rabbit.I can manually place them with Zeus,yet they don't move.Also they WILL spawn in Eden with the preview mission and move about but once mission is exported and get in game...no spawns?This probably isn't related to your mod as animals spawn on all the other winter maps,just not this one.Is there something I can do to fix it,maybe force the spawn?Or is it the terrain itself and I need to just move on with my life?