tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

haha i am going to stay away from the Far Cry franchise! That is actually one for ubis franchises that i don't regret in cutting away from my list of game series that entice me. I picked up Wildlands on sale with my brother and a friend and that delivers for some easy to digest sniper and stealth fun when doing it properly. Nothing of the freedom and vehicular combined arms stuff in there, bu a easy to go and forget adventure.

Great you intend to look into the other shark mod. Again, i think less is more in this case. I feel there should never be more than 2 within your viewing distance so that the Great White stays a bit special compared to the other sharks, and it cuts down on hte likely hood of being attacked in case the mod author does not rework that behaviour a bit.

Question: does the HUD uses "knows about" to diplay only the enemies that were properly spotted, or just everything in range with direct LOS?

TBQH it would be nice if there was a way to make the unit marking be powered by "knowsAbout" parameter.

EDIT: Looking at the HUD script I see that it is not based off the knows about and such.
knowsAbout is fun function thac could be used: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/knowsAbout
I also found a pretty nice command targetKnowledge https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/targetKnowledge

On 4/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, tpw said:

I demand to see that video!

Hahaha.  Okay.  I created a vimeo account.  But the video was too large for a free vimeo account.  So I lowered the video quality and uploaded it.

FYI, this video doesn't really showcase TPW mods. It's just that I have a ton of fun playing ARMA 3 because of TPW mods, so I grabbed a bunch of video clips that I found unique or interesting and threw them together with a song that I thought matched up with the combat fairly well and wanted to share it with you.  I had fun making this video.  I hope ya like it. 

Enjoy:

-V.

• Like 1

BTW, my story telling took a detour off the road of truth, because I never called in an A-10 airstrike at the end of that video.  It just randomly happened as a part of TPW mods.  And at the last second . . . I realized that AFTER the A-10 gun run was going to be some BOMBS, so I suddenly tried to move my stolen vehicle off the hilltop (a little bit late).  Hahaha.  -V

Great job on adding Max Joiners Zombie.But I noticed they don't appear when resuming a saved game...any way to fix that?

• Like 1

Hey mate. I know you're busy with life and all, but I gotta ask; do you have any plans to expand upon TPW SOAP? By expand I mean spicing up the different regional sounds, like bells ringing at the appropriate time for European maps or Tanoa's churches similar to the Azan ambience already in the mod and things like wolves howling, owls hooting at night and the dawn chorus when near/in temperate forests, to give a few quick examples. For that matter, do you have any plans to expand TPW ANIMAL's repertoire of critters? It was quite something to have been pleasantly surprised finding out TPW had support for Feint's shark mod when I had been eyeing it only to find that it was a module, so thanks for that a ton!

• Like 1

LarsAspras' post above has some nice SOAP suggestions!

Just yesterday I was thinking about how cool it'd be to have more ambient sounds.

Another sound ambiance desire:  I always have radio chatter on, I wont play with out it but I darn near have it memorized now haha.  I have no idea how much work that radio chatter is to put together but a new expanded mix of it would be awesome IMO.

I was also curious to know if there would be a way to have an Intel option in TPW? 

Something when toggled on would set down an intel folder at a random location from the maps index of towns/poi's.  Could auto set up a task objective of some sort based on a configurable set of criteria.

E.g. in the HPP file I toggle on "Intel" then select one of two options for intel gathering type, 1= single document recovery, 2 = chain of intel recovery positions.

Then you could also configure the style of intel, 1= classified document, 2= laptop, 3= device of some sort etc...

Followed by the Intel briefing narrative, 1= Military "Command wants this intel recovered",  2= Survival "Possible stash location",  3= Zombie Survival "Information on the outbreak" and so on with what ever the imagination dreams up.

These intel locations wouldn't be tied to any NPC spawns or conflicts...it is just an objective that overlays a players current mission set ( or lack there of like in Survivals). The beauty of it is that TPW spawns the intel obj over the top of lets say a RAVAGE mission, now I'm compelled to go see what this intel is in Elektro and just so happens I'll run into zombies ( Ravages ambient spawns) while I'm there.

The idea came to mind while running around playing solo survival, shooting NPCs, looting and eating beans I thought "what if there was a little more substance as to why I'm going to travel across the map"  A simple objective not placed by me could go a long way in the immersion IMO.

Just a long winded thought =)

• Like 1

just wanna ask one thing

-i just want the normal stuff like falling and bleeding/etc

if i copy the mod to the mods folder and just lounch it..will it have the default stuff?

or i realy need to move/copy config file to Arma 3 installation folder?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kaicooper87 said:

just wanna ask one thing

-i just want the normal stuff like falling and bleeding/etc

if i copy the mod to the mods folder and just lounch it..will it have the default stuff?

or i realy need to move/copy config file to Arma 3 installation folder?

Hi @kaicooper87.  If you are new to modding Arma3 then it may seem quite complicated.  All the information you need should be in the first post here, but I’ll summarise for you....

Copy the @tpw_mods folder into your Arma3 main directory.

Inside @tpw_mods folder you will find a userconfig folder.  Drag that out into the main Arma3 directory

Now go into the userconfig folder (that you’ve just moved) and edit the settings file inside there to you liking (turning options on or off)

In your command line to start Arma3 (I recommend using a launcher as it is easier - Spirited Machine’s one is my favourite) then add @tpw_mods into it

Play game

WIN

Hope that helps.

Krem

• Like 3

OK, now this is probably a stupid question. I have loaded tpw_mods and configured the config file in userconfig in a minimal way.

Let's say now I want to add a battlefield, or zombies. I was thinking I could just add the example code to the debug field...

0 = [5,2,6,3,4,1,500,2000,1,1,1,[0,1,etc],[0,1,etc],[0,1,etc],30,["str1",etc],["str2",etc],["str3",etc],["str4,etc"],["str5",etc],["str6",etc],["cas_string",etc],["chs_string",etc],["uav_string",etc],["enemy_cas_string",etc],["enemy_chs_string",etc],["enemy_uav_string",etc],["resist_cas_string",etc],["resist_chs_string",etc],["resist_uav_string",etc],300] execvm "tpw_skirmish.sqf";

But nothing happens, also no error message. Same for zombies. Same if I add the code before mission start, to a game logic in the editor.

I've checked your pbo and the scripts inside are at root level, i.e. should be fine.

I was checking the (non)existance of newly created units with MCC.

Seems tpw is a far cry from Arma these days

On 18/05/2018 at 6:24 AM, miasdad said:

Seems tpw is a far cry from Arma these days

Bahaha

Actually I’ve had very little time for recreational computing for the last couple of months, I’ve been absolutely snowed under with work and other life issues. The trouble is that I do a lot of computational stuff for my job, sometimes I don’t want to have to keep the thinking cap on when I’m computing for fun. Arma for me basically involves constant thinking about how I can improve or optimise or work around game shortcomings, and it gets a bit exhausting. I played FC5 for a while because the amount of thinking was pretty much zero, but despite its phenomenal visuals, I got bored and stopped. I fully intend to get back in the Arma saddle soon. I have in fact done a bit of sporadic coding, give me a few more weeks and I’ll have a release. 

Thanks for the the suggestions and help in my absence guys, I appreciate it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Car alarms featured at 10 mins and 20 mins in:

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 2:42 AM, LarsAspra said:

Hey mate. I know you're busy with life and all, but I gotta ask; do you have any plans to expand upon TPW SOAP? By expand I mean spicing up the different regional sounds, like bells ringing at the appropriate time for European maps or Tanoa's churches similar to the Azan ambience already in the mod and things like wolves howling, owls hooting at night and the dawn chorus when near/in temperate forests, to give a few quick examples. For that matter, do you have any plans to expand TPW ANIMAL's repertoire of critters? It was quite something to have been pleasantly surprised finding out TPW had support for Feint's shark mod when I had been eyeing it only to find that it was a module, so thanks for that a ton!

On 5/8/2018 at 6:57 AM, Zakuaz said:

LarsAspras' post above has some nice SOAP suggestions!

Just yesterday I was thinking about how cool it'd be to have more ambient sounds.

Another sound ambiance desire:  I always have radio chatter on, I wont play with out it but I darn near have it memorized now haha.  I have no idea how much work that radio chatter is to put together but a new expanded mix of it would be awesome IMO.

Indeed these ideas are bloody great, thanks for suggesting them. I've in fact implemented many of them and will release them shortly now!

I've added dozens of new radio calls, and improved the randomisation so that you won't hear the same ones within a short time of each other.

I've implemented random wolf pack howling for European/Nordic/Arctic maps. If you're in remote areas of these maps (no habitable buildings nearby) in the middle of the night you'll occasionally hear the eerie howls of distant wolves. On maps like Chernarus Redux the effect is mind blowing. I figure that wolves are widely spread throughout Eurasia and North America and tend to repopulate areas affected by war or disaster (eg Chernobyl), so they're not really out of place. But you can of course configure them off in game, or force them on for other maps at a volume level that suits you (tpw_animal_wolves = 0: no wolves.  tpw_animal_wolves=4: wolf calls active, default volume. 2 = quieter, 8 = wolves standing next to you) .  Wolves only howl every 10 minutes or so using default conditions, and are randomised so you shouldn't get too sick of them. I've also implemented the occasional scream of a fox at night, for all maps. Foxes of various species are pretty much ubiquitous (native or introduced), so they work well on any map and give you an extra night time thrill.

You'll now hear various hooting owls in forested areas at night, which massively adds to the night ambience. Again, owls or birds in the same ecological niche are ubiquitous. I've picked a few different hooting calls, which may not be entirely accurate for a given biome, but if you're that much of a birdcall anorak then you can sue me. 

And lastly I've added a dawn chorus simulation, so the birds will fire up in nearby trees in the hour before sunrise until the hour after sunrise. As someone who gets woken up by the noisy bastards every morning I can attest to the authenticity.      

TPW MODS 20180521: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6ahalc9gsm3e1j/TPW_MODS_20180521.zip

Changes:

• [ANIMALS 1.43] Man eating sharks will occasionally spawn around the player in deep water (requires THA_Sharks). Wolves will occasionally howl at night on European maps (can be disabled, or forced on all maps). Hooting owls will be heard in forested areas at night. Fox screams will be heard occasionally at night. "Dawn chorus" of birds an hour before sunrise.
  • [CARS 1.61] Code improvements.
  • [RADIO 1.30] Added over 60 new radio calls for improved variety. Improved randomisation of calls.

Enjoy, and please let me know about the gaping flaws in my implementation. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, tpw said:

I've added dozens of new radio calls, and improved the randomisation so that you won't hear the same ones within a short time of each other.

Ah, new life in the radios,

Thanks!

• Like 1

Great work TPW. Your mod is the real reason I keep going back to Arma 3. Thank you sir!

• Like 3

Holy wow,  I can't contain myself! Awesome stuff TPW!

• Like 1

Loving the sound of the new animals update, excuse the pun. Great work as usual.  

• Like 1

The morning bird chorus is very subtle, and thus very effective.

Haven't heard the wolves yet.  I s'pect they're rare in any case.

1 hour ago, badanov said:

Haven't heard the wolves yet.  I s'pect they're rare in any case.

To hear wolves:

1- you need to be on a European/Nordic/Arctic map. Try Chernarus Redux. Or enter tpw_animal_wolves = 4 into the debug shell

2 - it needs to be at least 2 hours after sunset. Try 0100 for good measure

3 - You need to be at least 100m from any habitable houses.

4 - You need to wait 10 minutes or so.

You'll know all about it when they finally make an appearance!

• Like 2

Got it.  The scenario I did was at dawn, so that explains it.  Thanks.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:19 AM, miasdad said:

Great job on adding Max Joiners Zombie.But I noticed they don't appear when resuming a saved game...any way to fix that?

Hi mate. The latest Max Joiners Zombies release (v1.0) has completely rewritten the way the zombie animations are handled (for the better), but it has however broken TPW ZOMBIES. I'll see what I can do (if anything) to fix it, and will look at the save game issues while I'm at it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tpw said:

I'll see what I can do (if anything) to fix it, and will look at the save game issues while I'm at it.

Thanx man.And I know about real life responsibilities also,so take your time,in no hurry  :0

Can anyone confirm they have heard any of the added/new radio chatter?  I've got about -embarrassed- 13 or so hours of game time since TPW released the update and I have not heard the new stuff.

I do modify the hpp file for Hud, civs and fog, nothing regarding the audio.

I'm running JSRS ( non beta) along with enhanced soundscape.

Double checked to make sure I copied the latest file into correct location...moved hpp into user config and all that seems to bee in place.

11 hours ago, Zakuaz said:

Can anyone confirm they have heard any of the added/new radio chatter?  I've got about -embarrassed- 13 or so hours of game time since TPW released the update and I have not heard the new stuff.

I do modify the hpp file for Hud, civs and fog, nothing regarding the audio.

I'm running JSRS ( non beta) along with enhanced soundscape.

Double checked to make sure I copied the latest file into correct location...moved hpp into user config and all that seems to bee in place.

It's definitely working mate (I use JSRS too, no conflicts there). Nothing changed in the HPP regarding radio, all the changes were with the script and the extra sounds. You did copy everything from the zip file right?

So if you're in game and type the following into the debug console:

player say3d "player_radio105"

You should hear "delta one over you're go go go on the painted target", which is one of the new calls added.