tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

1 hour ago, Valken said:

Thanks TPW! Fire lit tire piles and trash would be perfect for those riot type missions!

On a related note to the previous build, I was on  a tour visiting a few maps over Easter Sunday in EDEN. I sat as a passenger with the AI driving through a couple of maps. Altis for example from the NE town all the way down to the SW most town.

When I pass through some of the cities, I would get an error from TPW PARK spamming errors.  I noticed the AI was driving thru roughly between 70 - 90 KM or whatever the TWP HUD VEL was measure (had glasses on by spawn).

f I walk through a town, or spawn in a town, it would be fine. I am unsure if the cpu  thread was overloaded or timing out with zombies and skirmish in the background (default settings but with custom selected units - no errors for those parameters).

I'll do some more test and see but I noticed this mainly in Altis. On a smaller map, this did not occur. 

Thanks Valken. Squinting at the screen, it looks like they're tpw_park_active undefined errors? Do you have any triggers around that might be changing or messing with this variable? I've never seen it before!

Nice one TPW, thanks! Thanks for making the chainsaw sounds configurable as well! :f:

Hi TPW,

I did another test and I THINK the skirmish AI is hijacking the player group AI.

What I did was placed a car and 2 other AI plus myself at the TOP NE of Altis near CAP STRIGLA:

92E92E7770C89C572A02B099C2DCB4DEC89D91EB

Group all AI including driver to myself, start in single player from EDEN, command all AI to board the car including myself and set destination waypoint to the end of the road near FOURNOS (bottom SW):

3EA4795A037EB1E5CF08F4F00C56DD41BCFFCC5E

Sitting back and watch, with all TPW features ON, except for FALL or BLEEDING, I noticed the driver AI eventually starts to veer off its destination, circles back  from its current path and follows the waypoints for the SKIRMISH vehicles AI. 

Eventually, the car gets damaged or blown up from the local skirmish.

If you setup a rally, say 3 vehicles, add a passenger in each, with you in the first car, and set the same destination as detailed above, eventually one or two of the driver AI will also veer off path and follow the SKIRMISH vehicles or invisible waypoints.

I also tested the AI loading by just setting both DRAW and OBJECT distance under video to 1000 or 4000 at ultra settings. Setting it at 1000 is MUCH MUCH smoother but the driver AI switches to the skirmish AI waypoints much faster.

If you have time, can you test this for academic reasons.

I have yet to finish the rally with skirmish ON.

If I skirmish OFF, I can finish it plus this was how I discovered the PARK errors when speeding through towns roughly 10 mins into the mission. ~ 20-30 minutes  to finish the rally depending on how fast and handling the car can be. I used Jonzie's Mini Cooper Rally Version as I found that to be a superb handling car for on road AI driving with good top speed without it crashing much:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=546678015

We can pretend we are escaping an all out war on Altis with  a rescue boat or heli near Fournos if you need a reason but this made testing this mod's features and AI so much more fun.

Lastly, love the FIRE. Looks awesome and made my testing more immersive!

• Like 1

Thanks Valken, this is extremely useful and helpful, not to mention puzzling... I’ll have a good look at the skirmish code. AI groups are programmed to move towards each other, but only those on foot, and the player’s group is meant to be excluded. Obviously something is going awry. Thanks again mate.

• Thanks 1

I was playing Liberation the other night and naturally my Hunter got a flat. I thought about the repair in TPW but couldn't figure it out.

peeze hewp me?

7 hours ago, pvt. partz said:

I was playing Liberation the other night and naturally my Hunter got a flat. I thought about the repair in TPW but couldn't figure it out.

peeze hewp me?

Just drive to a garage and it happens automatically. Really cool.

15 hours ago, tpw said:

Thanks Valken, this is extremely useful and helpful, not to mention puzzling... I’ll have a good look at the skirmish code. AI groups are programmed to move towards each other, but only those on foot, and the player’s group is meant to be excluded. Obviously something is going awry. Thanks again mate.

Hi TWP, Please also note I was playing as civilians with my AI team so I can "watch" the skirmish without fear of being targeted but would assume the risk in an active warzone.

It was funny to see my AI driver follow the skirmish AI groups and vehicles to the area of conflicts. You can imagine the feeling rising up while riding with your mate and he just HAD to turn the car around to see what was going on somewhere else other than your destination during perilous times. :D

7 hours ago, alky_lee said:

Just drive to a garage and it happens automatically. Really cool.

Ah thanks Alky. Soooooooo, veering just bit off topic, if I have to get a damaged vehicle to a garage that might be a problem if it's a fair distance away. I suppose I would have to use a tow mod.

8 hours ago, Valken said:

Hi TWP, Please also note I was playing as civilians with my AI team so I can "watch" the skirmish without fear of being targeted but would assume the risk in an active warzone.

It was funny to see my AI driver follow the skirmish AI groups and vehicles to the area of conflicts. You can imagine the feeling rising up while riding with your mate and he just HAD to turn the car around to see what was going on somewhere else other than your destination during perilous times. :D

So I’ve reworked the squad moving code a fair bit, to completely exclude anyone from the player’s squad from moving towards other squads. I’ve also made extra sure that only squads on foot will figure in these movement routines. Beyond that I’m not sure what else I can do, since there is precisely zero code in the rest of skirmish or any of my other mods which moves or sets waypoints for the player squad. Just out of interest, what happens if you attempt your rally challenge using editor placed blufor and opfor  squads instead of skirmish spawned squads?

I’ve also completely reworked tpw park, that moribund old code essentially hadn’t changed in years and was causing too many anomalous behaviours and car popins. I’m hoping that will also knock your park bug on the head.

if you are interested I can send you a test build of tpw_mods.pbo 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pvt. partz said:

Ah thanks Alky. Soooooooo, veering just bit off topic, if I have to get a damaged vehicle to a garage that might be a problem if it's a fair distance away. I suppose I would have to use a tow mod.

Luckily I’ve seen a tow mod or script on these very forums!

5 hours ago, tpw said:

I just finished driving a Land Rover 3 kilometers with a destroyed tire.

It was really hard to steer  and really slow.  But I made the extraction.  Been up to a 30 minute delay had there

been a nearby garage.  That's what I love about the new mod.  I had a decision to make.  In the case of being in a pitched battle with a damaged vehicle, the priorities change.  Defend against the attack at the garage while repairs are being made.

Haven't experienced that yet, but it is nice to know there is that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tpw said:

Just out of interest, what happens if you attempt your rally challenge using editor placed blufor and opfor  squads instead of skirmish spawned squads?

I’ve also completely reworked tpw park, that moribund old code essentially hadn’t changed in years and was causing too many anomalous behaviours and car popins. I’m hoping that will also knock your park bug on the head.

if you are interested I can send you a test build of tpw_mods.pbo 

I haven't done a test as blue or opfor or infor. I would not have survived the rally run with skirmish on due to being targeted but can check since I have time today.

Thank you for looking into the park code.

Please PM me a link to a test build so I can check. I still have the mission setup.

12 hours ago, tpw said:

Yup, Duda to the rescue.

TPW MODS 20180407: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h13etbykg1ibsqx/TPW_MODS_20180407.zip

Changes:

• [FIRE 1.01] Prioritised fires based on distance, should prevent nearby fires going out/restarting.
  • [PARK 1.22] Totally refactored the fossilised code. Better performance, far less vehicle popin, no exploding vehicles.
  • [SKIRMISH 1.47] Improved screening of group leader code to further prevent anomalous behaviour of player squad AI, especially in vehicles (thanks Valken for the heads up). 
  • [ZOMBIES 1.02] Changed ambience removal code to suit PARK 1.22.

Nothing in the way of new features, but there is some tightened up code and a few bug fixes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tpw said:

no exploding vehicles.

Awe, the exploding vehicles was half the fun!  I considered it a car bomb going off.  Hahahaha.  JK.  Thx for the improvements ! ! !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tpw said:

TPW MODS 20180407: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h13etbykg1ibsqx/TPW_MODS_20180407.zip

Changes:

• [FIRE 1.01] Prioritised fires based on distance, should prevent nearby fires going out/restarting.
  • [PARK 1.22] Totally refactored the fossilised code. Better performance, far less vehicle popin, no exploding vehicles.
  • [SKIRMISH 1.47] Improved screening of group leader code to further prevent anomalous behaviour of player squad AI, especially in vehicles (thanks Valken for the heads up). 
  • [ZOMBIES 1.02] Changed ambience removal code to suit PARK 1.22.

Nothing in the way of new features, but there is some tightened up code and a few bug fixes. 

Car alarms are set just right.  Increases immersion when you are in the middle of a city fight, and you hear a car alarm going off two blocks away.  You don't know who caused it,  your side or the enemies.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes users have reported bugs or errors in this thread which are hard to reproduce by others. I also had some issues of this kind with TPW HUD and TPW said that these things worked perfectly fine on his machine. But TPW tested and played in the editor while I used the TPW mods in regular missions such as Pilgrimage.

I carried out a series of tests in the editor and several missions and found that some of the features work as expected in some scenarios but not in others. I have no explanation for this. I test with just CBA and TPW to make sure that there are no conflicting mods.  It must be almost impossible for TPW to fix something when the reports are so inconsistent. 

Here is a little spreadsheet with my findings and a copy of the edited hpp-file I used when I made the tests: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahpind_yYGOuibxpi3t-aJX62HaaBQ

Perhaps other users can compare it with their own experience and provide some feedback. With a bit of luck this may be useful. 

18 hours ago, Alpha-Kilo said:

Sometimes users have reported bugs or errors in this thread which are hard to reproduce by others. I also had some issues of this kind with TPW HUD and TPW said that these things worked perfectly fine on his machine. But TPW tested and played in the editor while I used the TPW mods in regular missions such as Pilgrimage.

I carried out a series of tests in the editor and several missions and found that some of the features work as expected in some scenarios but not in others. I have no explanation for this. I test with just CBA and TPW to make sure that there are no conflicting mods.  It must be almost impossible for TPW to fix something when the reports are so inconsistent. 

Here is a little spreadsheet with my findings and a copy of the edited hpp-file I used when I made the tests: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahpind_yYGOuibxpi3t-aJX62HaaBQ

Perhaps other users can compare it with their own experience and provide some feedback. With a bit of luck this may be useful. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this so thoroughly, I really appreciate it. I’m on school holidays with my kids so haven’t had much A3 time lately, but if anyone can make use of Alpha-Kilo’s data to help confirm his findings, I’ll do my best to look into it.

• Like 1

TPW, I just wanted to say "THANKS" again for all the fun.  I regularly play the single player "Pilgrimage" mission with TPW mods and have tons of fun tweaking the enemy interaction for small firefights in towns and various locations with TPW SKIRMISH.  I've done this mission tons of times, but your mod makes the world come alive, and adds countless options and little touches that make it endlessly entertaining.  I've recently added a few custom cars thanks to your config.  And btw, the repair function at gas stations works great.  You were right . . . I just wasn't waiting long enough for the repairs to finish.  Patience.  Need more patience. Hahaha.

I created a short video to show you the fun I've been having with ARMA 3, but youtube blocked it because of the music I chose.  It's a large video specifically fit & timed to that music, so I guess it won't work.  Sorry.

-Vern.

• Like 3

hi after tanks dlc update some tanks wont show hud icon(blue/orange)

On 4/16/2018 at 3:36 AM, heyvern69 said:

I created a short video to show you the fun I've been having with ARMA 3, but youtube blocked it because of the music I chose.  It's a large video specifically fit & timed to that music, so I guess it won't work.  Sorry.

-Vern.

Post your video to Vimeo! :D

On 4/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, amon11 said:

hi after tanks dlc update some tanks wont show hud icon(blue/orange)

It isnt since the update i believe.

Try puting the tank in safe mode(crew turned out) they should show up on HUD.

Dude, really loving the sharks when diving! A job well done. Which makes me wish for even more variety when submerged in meditteranean waters. The only other mod i could find is THA-Sharks by B@Co, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231094504

It includes feints animal behaviour (hunting etc.) from feint's shark mod, although the THA-Shark GreatWhiteShark is way more inclined to freakin eat you alive. There is a 'man-eater' variant, but even the other two are pretty likely to attack you if you come too close. Does your feint's shark mod implementation alter hunting behaviour or is your code only doing the de/spawing stuff? Because they never seem to attack you, which i think is really good so you have them as animal background but can go on doing your mission or thing. I feel THA-Sharks just too likely to get into your hair atm, so i am not sure whether it would really be practical.

Could you take a look whether these can be spawned alongside Sam and Diane albeit in way lower numbers (its a Great white shark afterall)?

Hi guys. Sorry I’ve been a bit slack with arma for a while - I’ve been heavily into Far Cry 5. Each time a Far Cry is released I give it a month of intense play marvelling at the astonishing visuals, excellent animations, emergent gameplay, fantastic performance etc. Then I come back to Arma and force myself to overlook its shortcomings...

@amon11 HUD only shows icons for units it can see. So if they’re inside a tank, they won’t show up.

@heyvern69 I demand to see that video!

@xon2 glad you like the sharks. All credit to Feint though, I just spawn them. I’ll have a look at adding those other sharks for you

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tpw said:

Hi guys. Sorry I’ve been a bit slack with arma for a while - I’ve been heavily into Far Cry 5. Each time a Far Cry is released I give it a month of intense play marvelling at the astonishing visuals, excellent animations, emergent gameplay, fantastic performance etc.

That does sound refreshing especially the emergent gameplay and animations. Thing i heard though was that there is like a roving circle of possible emergent activity like 20m around Player at all times often leading to nonstop collisions of Moose, kids with ice cream cones, flaming crossbows, pickup trucks, Boomerangs and hicks with dogs to almost comical levels. Like I said -sounds great :)