tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Helloo again,

I noticed that the TPW_fall somehow makes the AI flashlights go off after the start delay. I am using the 1.15 version.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Place a AI unit with following code in init:

this unassignItem "NVGoggles_OPFOR";  
this removeItem "NVGoggles_OPFOR";  
this removeWeapon "Binocular";  
this unassignItem "acc_pointer_IR";  
this removePrimaryWeaponItem "acc_pointer_IR";  
this addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";  
this assignItem "acc_flashlight";  
this enableGunLights "ForceOn";

2. include 0 = [100,500,10,1,30] execvm "tpw_fall.sqf"; in init.sqf and observe. After the 10 seconds the AI will turn off the flashlight.

Thank you kindly for giving us the option to limit the maximum number of spawned civilians. That makes me happy panda ;)

TPW MODS v20130919: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

[RADIO 1.01] Military radio not played in civilian vehicles

[CIVS 1.16] Civs will not spawn beyond a specified maximum, regardless of density. Civs can now interact with each other.

NB: Please update your config to allow for the new civilian behaviours

So this is a pretty major update to the civilian functionality. I've introduced a new variable: tpw_civ_interact, set at 15m by default. Civilians within this interaction radius will move towards each other, stop within a few m of each other, face each other and gesticulate to simulate conversation. After 5-10 sec they'll go on their way. They'll only exhibit this behaviour if not crouched/prone.

Basically I've just introduced a few simple ant-like rules, but they lead to emergent behaviours such as small crowds forming, civilians following each other around, and lots of civs coming and going from a single house. You might discover a few more.

So like any behaviour mod, this is going to impact on performance. Because every civ checks every other civ, the number of calculations is roughly number of civs ^ 2. With 4-8 civs, you'll barely notice the performance hit. With 20, you probably will, although the performance hit just from having 20 civs is actually high to begin with. I will work on optimising it. If you can't deal with it then civ interaction can be disabled with tpw_civ_interact = 0

And just to head off any complaining at the pass:

1 - Yes I know the transitions to/from gesticulating are not smooth. I can't use playmove, I have to use switchmove

2 - Yes I know that sometimes 2 civs approach each other and only one stops and gesticulates. This is because any given civ cannot stop again within 30 sec of being stopped. I deliberately left this behaviour because it helps with "flocking".

3 - For the few seconds of gesticulating the civ will not react to gunfire etc. I can live with it.

4 - A 15m interaction radius is large enough so that 2 civs won't pass each other by on the street without stopping for a chat. You can set this smaller for less interaction, or larger for more. Setting it beyond 30m is inadvisable, you'll just end up with a clump of civs every time.

You are a mod god, tpw! Thanks for this!! :)

i noticed a small thing with the comandeer vehicle command, i was driving an offroad truck on a road and passing an other car (spawned offroad by TPW mod ), while passing him the comandeer vehicle command came up. i was inside my own car when this happend, nothing big/major just a small notice ;)

Great mod, Only thing it that animals will spawn in the middle of the runways. and parking lots (main Airbase on Atlits).

This is from the mod description doo-dad. You can configure all sorts of stuff:

In addition to the configuration options available in TPW_MODS.hpp, you can designate areas in which civs, cars and animals will not spawn. This can come in handy if you don't want goats or cars on a runway, or you've taken over a town and don't want civilians.

To designate a car exclusion object, enter "tpwcarexc" (no quotes) into the name field of any editor placeable object. This can be a logic, or any other object including moving vehicles. If you don't want to see traffic around any airport you fly into, then you can name your transport aircraft "tpwcarexc". You may designate a maximum of 10 such objects: tpwcarexc, tpwcarexc_1 -> tpwcarexc_9

Animal exclusion objects: tpwanimexc, tpwanimexc_1 -> tpwanimexc_9

Civilian exclusion objects: tpwcivexc, tpwcivexc_1 -> tpwcivexc_9

Helloo again,

I noticed that the TPW_fall somehow makes the AI flashlights go off after the start delay. I am using the 1.15 version.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Place a AI unit with following code in init:

this unassignItem "NVGoggles_OPFOR";  
this removeItem "NVGoggles_OPFOR";  
this removeWeapon "Binocular";  
this unassignItem "acc_pointer_IR";  
this removePrimaryWeaponItem "acc_pointer_IR";  
this addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";  
this assignItem "acc_flashlight";  
this enableGunLights "ForceOn";

2. include 0 = [100,500,10,1,30] execvm "tpw_fall.sqf"; in init.sqf and observe. After the 10 seconds the AI will turn off the flashlight.

Yeah I think this is a consequence of using _x action ["SwitchWeapon",_x,_x,0]; when I first assign each unit (_x) to the array of "fallable" units. If I don't use the command, the system cannot tell what weapon any unit is using, and can't assign the correct weapon specific fall animations. The way around it is to script your unit inventory stuff after TPW FALL. As a bonus, TPW EBS also switches off unit lights when it puts the suppression shell around them. Same solution I'm afraid.

Hi TPW, it would help out if you could name your release files for the version numbers :)

Otherwise, I'm a-liking this stuff :)

Hi TPW, it would help out if you could name your release files for the version numbers :)

Otherwise, I'm a-liking this stuff :)

Do you mean TPW_MODS-20130920.zip? Or each individual script?

If that's what it takes to get 100% a-liking then I'm all for it D :)

^^ Yeah the main zip filename :) just helps keeps my ArmA3 downloads folder auto-organised ;)

Not exactly a biggie, I know ArmAholic do this anyways, but sometimes I'm grabbing from the dropbox.

any word on making this dedicated mp compatible? i would love you forever?! <3 :D haha but seriously, keep up the great work, its the little things that make this game the best gaming experience to date.

[CARS 1.15] Cars will spawn with passengers 50% of the time. Improved commandeering - player does not automatically mount commandeered car.

I can't claim I've done the amount of playtesting this deserves (yet), but so far anyway this appears to be working great. Thank you for making this change, I think it's a big improvement.

I don't know if it's just me, but would there be a possibility of not spawning civilian quads? It fells somehow off for some reason.

Yay!

i dont get it this addons arent working for me @ editor mission neither @ scenarios what i'm doing wrong?

i dont get it this addons arent working for me @ editor mission neither @ scenarios what i'm doing wrong?
Are you sure you're installing correctly (userconfig folder must be in \Arma 3)?

Yay!

Are you sure you're installing correctly (userconfig folder must be in \Arma 3)?

Yay!

ah ok thank you that was the problem

An ambient combat Module would be nice.Like spawning patrolling Blufor/Opfor/Independant Armored and non armored Vehicle/Helos/planes/troops could spice up missions.

Will you eventually support AiA ?

An ambient combat Module would be nice.Like spawning patrolling Blufor/Opfor/Independant Armored and non armored Vehicle/Helos/planes/troops could spice up missions.

-------No, totally not a good idea, this would spoil the original missions.

I noticed tonight at 2 AM there were still tons of boats out having a blast off of Altis' beaches. Seemed a bit strange.

Altisians are Party Animals.

-------No, totally not a good idea, this would spoil the original missions.

That is why there would be an option to turn it off.

I noticed tonight at 2 AM there were still tons of boats out having a blast off of Altis' beaches. Seemed a bit strange.

Good point. I currently halve the number of civs at night, I can do the same with the boats.

The idea of ambient combatants has been raised before. It's certainly doable, but doing it in a meaningful way will be tricky. And of course it would be configurable off.

Majoiner did a police mod that is script only. Would be great to have some police with flashing lights going around patrolling etc.

TPW,

Is there an AI Medic system where they pop smoke,drag,heal teammates mod out there? Like SLX did for A2? 3That would go so well with all your mods TPW. Now that AI, thanks to you are self preserving enough to get down, stay down, pop smoke to escape, etc. Imagine the firefights. No player interaction necessary. Just AI trying to keep their mates alive. Of course it will need to be able to break animation during drag/healing if bullets start flying - maybe EBS overrides all. That also plays well the the Immersion goals of TPW mods.

For Civs, maybe they just gather around dead ones after the bullets stop flying for x minutes. You already have the components in the "chunking/grouping" of civs/animals code and some of the interactions.

On a side note. I have never dabbled in scripting outside of the editor. What resource helped you out when you started scripting/mod making for the Arma series? Thanks for what you've done with Arma 3!