tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Hey tpw, could you convert tpw mods to Arma 2 at some point? And if you are not planning to do it, does the air, boats, cars and civs scripts work in Arma 2, if I change the classnames to Arma 2 classnames?

Hey tpw, could you convert tpw mods to Arma 2 at some point? And if you are not planning to do it, does the air, boats, cars and civs scripts work in Arma 2, if I change the classnames to Arma 2 classnames?

It's not just a matter of the classnames, there are plenty of Arma3 specific commands I'd have to work around. Arma2 already has various functional civilian modules so it's quite a different procedure implementing ambient stuff.

The thing is, despite Arma3's flaws, I've moved on from Arma2 and don't really have the energy and enthusiasm to commit to an Arma2 port of these mods. You, or anyone else, are of course welcome to try.

Tpw, cheers for a great mod mate. :)

Was wondering, if i want to use everything in the mod except civilians, do i still need CAF Aggressors?

Noticed from time to time empty/not empty not moving vehicles just standing on the road (not parked, this is disabled, it is about ambient traffic). Empty are usually dry - no fuel, because are abandoned with engine running. Do not know if expect, weird anyway. Not sure, in what circumstancies it is happening, maybe it is due some poor vanilla AI civilian behavior, when (not friendly) military spotted?

Edited by Rydygier

Tpw, cheers for a great mod mate. :)

Was wondering, if i want to use everything in the mod except civilians, do i still need CAF Aggressors?

You don't actually need CAF aggressors. If you have them, then the various mods (BOATS, CARS, CIVS) will use them. If you don't then default A3 civs are used.

Noticed from time to time empty/not empty not moving vehicles just standing on the road (not parked, this is disabled, it is about ambient traffic). Empty are usually dry - no fuel, because are abandoned with engine running. Do not know if expect, weird anyway. Not sure, in what circumstancies it is happening, maybe it is due some poor vanilla AI civilian behavior, when (not friendly) military spotted?

Civs will abandon cars if the cars are damaged. And since they are such shithouse drivers, they quite often damage their cars.

Civs will abandon cars if the cars are damaged. And since they are such shithouse drivers, they quite often damage their cars.

Not sure, but at least some vehicles seemed to be not damaged and all not positioned like should be, if they hit anything. Just something like stopped during regular ride along the road. Once saw also quadbike that just stopped like this on the road. Civs still was in it doing nothing. Not so important though. Similar behavior I saw in A2, when civs spotted not friendly military IIRC, driver could then disembark and run.

Another note - cars seems to use horns and slow down too easily. In the code I see only distance condition. I may be 20 meters from the road or so, and they behaving like I was about to block the route or something. IMHO such behavior should be triggered only, if player/AI is close (distance check), is ahead (relative direction comparison with car's getDir) and on the road (isOnRoad). Perhaps also LOS check only if all three positive, if driver actually see the player.

Edited by Rydygier

Another note - cars seems to use horns and slow down too easily. I may be 20 meters from the road or so, and they behaving like I was about to block the route or something. IMHO such behavior should be triggered only, if player/AI is close, is ahead and on the road.

I put a behaviour in so that civ cars slowed down when closer than 150m. If I didn't they just barrelled through towns at top speed, crashing constantly and killing the player or squadmates. The horn behaviour is purely cosmetic, they beep their horns if closer than 10m to other AI or player units but don't do any other speed adjustment. I can modify it so they only beep if the other unit is on a road.

Would be great. :) Even better, if also only ahead (why car should use horn if player is behind) and, perhaps, if driver see the player (of course such check only, if three earlier positive) - shouldn't use horn, if is not awared about the player presence. Currently it is a bit annoying, every car that passes me when I'm near the road (or anybody) uses horn like everyone knows me or I was doing something very wrong.

Same conditions may affect slow down too IMO, and still will prevent cars hitting you or your squademates, if also AIs (best - all "man" (nearentities) or at least from player's group) near/ahead/on the road/visible (not necessarily visible, if there is obstructed vision close ahead, they should slow down anyway, like real drivers should) will trigger slow down. There may be separate condition to make them slow down, when close to town/village (locations) or just buildings (selectBestPlaces, nearestBuilding distance) - like highway code rules implementations for urban areas. In fact such thing would be very nice too, good for immersion and simply reasonable.

Edited by Rydygier

I think I might have found a problem. Your mod seems to override fog weathersettings. Even if the Mod author has set heavy fog, the fog will dissapear in a minute.

I think I might have found a problem. Your mod seems to override fog weathersettings. Even if the Mod author has set heavy fog, the fog will dissapear in a minute.

It's not a problem per se, TPW FOG is now a mini weather fx mod which assigns its own fog based on climate and time of year for the map. It's stated in the TPW FOG readme that it will over-ride mission fog settings.

To keep people happy, I'll probably make the different parts of TPW FOG: foggy breath, ground fog; and heat haze independently configurable in a future update.

Yeah that would be great if u could make it a configurable settings version for fog. I dont like fog , but i like haze^^

Hmm (sometimes picture is better than description)

It's not a problem per se, TPW FOG is now a mini weather fx mod which assigns its own fog based on climate and time of year for the map. It's stated in the TPW FOG readme that it will over-ride mission fog settings.

To keep people happy, I'll probably make the different parts of TPW FOG: foggy breath, ground fog; and heat haze independently configurable in a future update.

Yeah I guess Userconfig Options would be sweet. In my opinion a Mod should never completely change the weather set by the mission author. So If I turn off TPW Fog for now the weather changes will stop? How do the weather changes work anyway?

Yeah I guess Userconfig Options would be sweet. In my opinion a Mod should never completely change the weather set by the mission author. So If I turn off TPW Fog for now the weather changes will stop? How do the weather changes work anyway?

Well in my opinion if it's a weather mod, chances are it will change the weather... :)

But yes, if you disable TPW FOG then the mission's weather will remain true to the author's vision.

TPW FOG's weather changes work by establishing temperature, dew point (humidity) and snow likelihood for a given map at a given time of year and a given time of day.

temperature > 25 and clear and sunny = heat haze

temperature < dew point = ground fog

temperature < (dew point + 10) = breath fog

can snow and temperature < 10 = snow instead of rain

rain = slight fog to simulate reduction in visibility

These behaviours will be independently configurable in the update I will release tonight.

Well in my opinion if it's a weather mod, chances are it will change the weather... :)

But that's a part of the problem: tpw_fog started out as a part of the mod that added foggy breath and nothing else. Now it's a weather mod. ;) If I'd want foggy breath but no changes to the weather itself, I'm pretty much screwed now. That's an intrusive mod behaviour that shouldn't be. You combine features that should be toggleable by themselves.

I don't want to tell you how you should do it - it's just a concern that I have. :)

But that's a part of the problem: tpw_fog started out as a part of the mod that added foggy breath and nothing else. Now it's a weather mod. ;) If I'd want foggy breath but no changes to the weather itself, I'm pretty much screwed now. That's an intrusive mod behaviour that shouldn't be. You combine features that should be toggleable by themselves.

I don't want to tell you how you should do it - it's just a concern that I have. :)

Concerns are duly noted and will be put to rest in 6 hours when I get home from work! Sorry for any Arma angst I have caused you.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I read through the thread and couldn't find one so please let me ask this: is TPW incompatible with zeu_ServerSkill mod?

I use zeu_ServerSkill mod in single player mode because I hate being killed by instant headshot while an enemy can withstand five shots and shoot back in dead accuracy. But after installing TPW mods, zeu mod doesn't seem working anymore. TPW makes an enemy fall down nicely and that effect is stunning, but he stands up and takes a potshot from 100 meters, and hits me in the head, me crouching behind the stone wall.

I made sure that CBA, zeu, and TPW are all enabled. I disabled TPW/LOS for just in case, but to no avail. The simplest solution is to disable TPW, but because I already experienced all the fancy effects of TPW, I just can't go back to the world without it. So if there is any tweak to make TPW and zeu work together, or if there is any info about another mod to tone down AI accuracy which works with TPW, please let me know and I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Edited by krechtsieg

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I read through the thread and couldn't find one so please let me ask this: is TPW incompatible with zeu_ServerSkill mod?

I use zeu_ServerSkill mod in single player mode because I hate being killed by instant headshot while an enemy can withstand five shots and shoot back in dead accuracy. But after installing TPW mods, zeu mod doesn't seem working anymore. TPW makes an enemy fall down nicely and that effect is stunning, but he stands up and takes a potshot from 100 meters, and hits me in the head, me crouching behind the stone wall.

I made sure that CBA, zeu, and TPW are all enabled. I disabled TPW/LOS for just in case, but to no avail. The simplest solution is to disable TPW, but because I already experienced all the fancy effects of TPW, I just can't go back to the world without it. So if there is any tweak to make TPW and zeu work together, or if there is any info about another mod to tone down AI accuracy which works with TPW, please let me know and I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi krechtsieg The 2 mods that affect AI skill are TPW EBS, and TPW FALL.

TPW FALL: When a unit takes a hit and falls, his skill is adjusted down for the duration of his time on the ground (so that he can't headshot you whilst lying there). Once he gets back up, the skill is set back to what it was before the fall.

TPW EBS: If a unit is suppressed, his skill is adjusted down for the duration of the suppression, but returns to the value it was before suppression started.

In both cases, the unit's skill will (should) only return to the value it was immediately before being hit or suppressed, not to some arbitrarily high value. If zeu is changing skills dynamically, then the values should just return to those that zeu assigned.

I use bcombat for my AI modification needs, and it works perfectly with TPW MODS as long as you disable TPW EBS (it has its own suppression routines) and TPW LOS (it has its own LOS routines).

Hi krechtsieg The 2 mods that affect AI skill are TPW EBS, and TPW FALL.

TPW FALL: When a unit takes a hit and falls, his skill is adjusted down for the duration of his time on the ground (so that he can't headshot you whilst lying there). Once he gets back up, the skill is set back to what it was before the fall.

TPW EBS: If a unit is suppressed, his skill is adjusted down for the duration of the suppression, but returns to the value it was before suppression started.

In both cases, the unit's skill will (should) only return to the value it was immediately before being hit or suppressed, not to some arbitrarily high value. If zeu is changing skills dynamically, then the values should just return to those that zeu assigned.

I use bcombat for my AI modification needs, and it works perfectly with TPW MODS as long as you disable TPW EBS (it has its own suppression routines) and TPW LOS (it has its own LOS routines).

Thanks for your quick and detailed response, tpw!

I've just tried ASR AI3 and it appears to work fine with your mod. I will try recommended bcombat to see which one suits my taste.

BTW, I've been playing ARMA3 for more than 200 hours since it was alpha, but have never tried your mod. I'm ashamed of myself. I gave it a try last night for the first time and was literally blown away. It's amazing to say the least, now those dumb AI soldiers look truly alive. Thank you very much for creating such a great modification.:thumbsup:

TPW MODS 20140318: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20140318.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.14] Ground fog only when temperature < 13degC. Breath fog, ground fog, rain fog, heat haze and snow all individually configurable on/off. Please update your /userconfig/tpw_mods/tpw_mods.hpp

[AIR 1.21] Includes the new aircraft classes introduced in dev build 1.15.116103

[CARS 1.32] Cars slow down in towns. Cars only beep horn at units actually on the road.

Hi all. This update will allow you to select which of the TPW FOG fx you'd like. They're enabled by default, so if that causes you grief then edit the tpw_mods.hpp file to your liking. I've updated the aircraft list to include the new stuff in the recent dev builds. Not sure what happens if you are using an earlier or stable build - please let me know. Lastly, I think I've fixed a few annoying spawned car behaviours.

So now it´s possible to use only heathaze without fog? Please say yes^^

Yes, replace your tpw_mods.hpp and edit to taste:

// FOG

tpw_fog_active = 1; // 0 = inactive

tpw_fog_radius = 250; // units must be closer than this to show foggy breath (m). 0 = foggy breath disabled

tpw_fog_delay = 5; // delay before fog functions start (sec)

tpw_fog_breath = 1; // foggy breath enabled. 0 = disabled

tpw_fog_groundfog = 1; // ground fog enabled. 0 = disabled

tpw_fog_rainfog = 1; // rain fog enabled. 0 = disabled

tpw_fog_heathaze = 1; // heat haze enabled. 0 = disabled

tpw_fog_cansnow = 1; // snow enabled. 0 = disabled

Hi TPW,

Thanks for the update,and the water effects on windshield looks amazing.I have a question.

I beleive i read somewhere before that tpw civs should spawn as region specific with middle east ireegulars mod installed?Maybe it was a dream lol but i thought i saw that written somewhere.Im making a mission in takistan and my civs who are populating towns are from altis region.

Did i read something wrong before or is this not normal?

thanks

EDIT-also just read above "can snow" ??? really,on non snow maps?

Hi TPW,

Thanks for the update,and the water effects on windshield looks amazing.I have a question.

I beleive i read somewhere before that tpw civs should spawn as region specific with middle east ireegulars mod installed?Maybe it was a dream lol but i thought i saw that written somewhere.Im making a mission in takistan and my civs who are populating towns are from altis region.

Did i read something wrong before or is this not normal?

thanks

EDIT-also just read above "can snow" ??? really,on non snow maps?

You need Ohally's CAF Aggressors, not MIddle East Irregulars.

You can get get snowfall on appropriate maps at appropriate times of year. Very slight chance of snow on mediterranean maps (eg Altis), snow in winter on european maps (eg Chernarus), Central Asian (eg Takistan), Nordic (eg Thirsk) Arctic (eg Caribou). No snow on desert (eg Fallujah) and tropical maps (eg Nziwasogo).

You need Ohally's CAF Aggressors, not MIddle East Irregulars.

You can get get snowfall on appropriate maps at appropriate times of year. Very slight chance of snow on mediterranean maps (eg Altis), snow in winter on european maps (eg Chernarus), Central Asian (eg Takistan), Nordic (eg Thirsk) Arctic (eg Caribou). No snow on desert (eg Fallujah) and tropical maps (eg Nziwasogo).

Caf agg,ahh ok see the mix up. Thanks for clearing it up.Must go to download now.Also looking forward to see some of this new update.

Great work, highly appreciated!