tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

I really like the rain effects but there are some things that look strange:

1. In third person there is a box surrounding a vehicle, filled with refractions, looks very weird, disabling the effect in TPP should help.

2. I think the effect should be also disabled when you turn out.

3. Refractions move with rain and vehicle speed. I think they should be static in relation to the vehicle, because right now turning or going back shows that they are created "in air" rather than on a glass screen.

Hey there tpw, appreciate your continued support into what has become, for me, a staple for Arma 3, can't live without it.

The new rain effect is just wonderful. I became transfixed as had a really cool drive around Altis in the pouring rain. Just wonderful.

I really like the rain effects but there are some things that look strange:

1. In third person there is a box surrounding a vehicle, filled with refractions, looks very weird, disabling the effect in TPP should help.

2. I think the effect should be also disabled when you turn out.

3. Refractions move with rain and vehicle speed. I think they should be static in relation to the vehicle, because right now turning or going back shows that they are created "in air" rather than on a glass screen.

You know, I so rarely play in 3rd person that I completely forgot about how weird the effect would look in that mode. I will disable it for 3rd person ASAP. Ditto for turning out. I'm not sure what you mean inpoint 3. Particles are spawned in relation to the player vehicle but are static once spawned.

Hey there tpw, appreciate your continued support into what has become, for me, a staple for Arma 3, can't live without it.

The new rain effect is just wonderful. I became transfixed as had a really cool drive around Altis in the pouring rain. Just wonderful.

That's a really cool thing to say - enjoying it as much on my Arma install as well - thanks tpw :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the sentiments. I guess you British guys will feel right at home driving around in the cold and rain...

I've just reworked the code a bit on my lunch break:

• Raindrop fx for player only if in car (not quad, tank, heli etc).
  • Raindrop fx for player on foot if wearing goggles (quite mild, just a few drops here and there).
  • Raindrop fx disabled in 3rd person.
  • Better integration with TPW RAINFX code so easier on the poor old CPU.

I'll release this improved version in a few hours

tpw rain mod simulates Britain adequately ;)

first thing i noticed was the windscreen wipers werent working. raindrops are awesome.

I'm having a pretty serious (although, I must admit, funny as well) bug after the latest Arma patch. I mentioned the issue in Armaholic, without any reply. Any ideas here?

The thing is, civilians spawn in mid-air, and then fall onto their deaths! Kinda ruins the immersion (although I'm feeling tempted to make a mission with 'It's Raining Men' as the soundtrack) ;)

Also, how exactly do I deactivate civ spawning? Waiting for a solution, I'd like to remove that, but setting the value to '0' on the TPW_MODS.hpp file doesn't seem to work. :confused:

I have the latest version of both Arma and TPW

I'm having a pretty serious (although, I must admit, funny as well) bug after the latest Arma patch. I mentioned the issue in Armaholic, without any reply. Any ideas here?

The thing is, civilians spawn in mid-air, and then fall onto their deaths! Kinda ruins the immersion (although I'm feeling tempted to make a mission with 'It's Raining Men' as the soundtrack) ;)

Also, how exactly do I deactivate civ spawning? Waiting for a solution, I'd like to remove that, but setting the value to '0' on the TPW_MODS.hpp file doesn't seem to work. :confused:

I have the latest version of both Arma and TPW

Works fine for me. In which situations does this problem occur? This happened a couple of times with older scripted versions of tpw_civs. Maybe you're using a mission with tpw_civ-script enabled?

Try the functionality/disfunctionality of tpw-mods in the editor with an empty mission to check for that.

Additionally, make sure that you've placed the tpw_mods.hpp in the right folder (steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\tpw_mods\tpw_mods.hpp) The second tpw_mods-folder inside the tpw_mods-folder is being falsely created by PWS, if you use it.

TPW MODS 20140311: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20140311.zip

Changes:

[RAINFX 1.05] Droplet fx on cars (no other vehicles) and goggles in 1st person view only.

This is a much improved version of the droplet fx, as per this post

@RedPerkele. Civs spawning in mid air used to occasionally happen on Arma2/OA maps using @A3MP, but was fixed. I'm not sure why your are seeing it, as I definitely am not. Which maps are you seeing it with? If you can't disable civ spawning via the hpp then I'd guess that you have the hpp in the wrong place, as per Pergor's post above.

It's been working fine for months, up until the latest Arma patch. I am seeing it in all occasions, all maps (e.g. no-addons, plain-vanilla units in editor preview). But thanks for the path info, I had changed the wrong file indeed! Disable works now - although, I'm still baffled by the mid-air spawn. :confused:

I guess I could try removing and reinstalling TPW just in case...

these supposedly small things make such a big impact in immerssion. Be smart of BIS to take inspiration from much of your efforts.

If i may say so, the rain effect is fucking sweet!!!!

one thing though, does anyone else find the droplets to be a bit big on the windsheld. some of them look realy big, some would make a 10cm diameter / or bigger splash. that would be a huge droplet.

if you have a random variable to set the size of the particle effect I think the top end needs to be shaved a bit, the drops, well the splash effect your creating, should be smaller.

and, is there any way to add this effect to all planes and vehicles added from mods? or is that idea really a pain?

its great!! I like it Thanks for the add it really makes driving in first person worth it even more! borderline treacherous!

Edited by Lordprimate

?

HaHa and its also funny because there are no women in Arma 3. I know... there's a thread for that debate.

Nice addition on the rain drops TPW. I haven't had a chance to try it but judging by the video, looks sweet!

If i may say so, the rain effect is fucking sweet!!!!

one thing though, does anyone else find the droplets to be a bit big on the windsheld. some of them look realy big, some would make a 10cm diameter / or bigger splash. that would be a huge droplet.

if you have a random variable to set the size of the particle effect I think the top end needs to be shaved a bit, the drops, well the splash effect your creating, should be smaller.

and, is there any way to add this effect to all planes and vehicles added from mods? or is that idea really a pain?

its great!! I like it Thanks for the add it really makes driving in first person worth it even more! borderline treacherous!

Unfortunately the limitations of the particle parameters (and my lack of skill) prevent me from making 100% realistic raindrops, and believe me I tried. I'm not actually spawning drops on the windshield, I'm spawning them inside a 2x2x2m box around the player. Inside a vehicle, the particles are only displayed if there is a transparent glass surface. So it looks like they are all outside the car and on the glass. The large drops you see are actually just those that spawn very close to the player (while appearing to be outside the glass).

I tried setting up a flat rain box 2x0.1x2m and offsetting it in front of the player, but the box doesn't rotate with the player.

The only way around it is to set up multiple 2x2x2 rain boxes, surrounding the player. I'm not sure it's worth potentially crippling FPS this way just to get pleasingly consistent small rain drops. You are more than welcome to play around with the parameters in the TPW RAINFX script and see if you can get something closer to your liking mate.

The effect is only applied to vehicles of class car_f. This deliberately excluded tanks, boats, planes and helis, since the droplet effect looked poor on them. If there are custom vehicles you'd like, let me know.

Possible may be also do not set one particle emiter at player's vehicle with 2x2x2 random params create pos, but numerous emiters, one by one, each generating only single particle drop then deleted, each with 0x0x0 random params position, but each emiter spawned in the 2x2x2 box around player. In that way you can randomize position for spawning each emiter with some minimal distance from the player, eg from 1.5 to 2 or even "thiner" spawning area. Not sure, what effect this may give, just a thought.

Possible may be also do not set one particle emiter at player's vehicle with 2x2x2 random params create pos, but numerous emiters, one by one, each generating only single particle drop then deleted, each with 0x0x0 random params position, but each emiter spawned in the 2x2x2 box around player. In that way you can randomize position for spawning each emiter with some minimal distance from the player, eg from 1.5 to 2 or even "thiner" spawning area. Not sure, what effect this may give, just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion Ryd, I actually tried something similar a while ago when working out how best to spawn raindrops on the ground, and it did seem to eat CPU. I will try revisiting the idea though.

I have been experimenting with changing droplet size according to rain intensity so that for light rain (eg rain =0.2) there is just a speckling of small drops, but for a deluge (rain =1) the windscreen is covered in larger drops.

I confirm that removing and reinstalling solved the issue of mid-air spawning. I have no clue why, but it works now :cool:

I confirm that removing and reinstalling solved the issue of mid-air spawning. I have no clue why, but it works now :cool:

Fantastic. I often find swearing and/or reinstalling fixes lots of problems.

TPW MODS 20130413: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20140313.zip

Changes:

[FOG 1.13] Added Bystrica and Bukovina to climate list. Ground fog parameters tweaked.

[RAINFX 1.06] Droplet fx on goggles only if not looking down, or running. Car droplets size correlates with rain intensity.

I'm continuing to work on improved rain fx, including stuff like foot splashes, puddles and streams.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

=================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

update v1.39 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@tpw_mods.png

@ TPW;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

i updated to the last TPW and i noticed a change i didn't anticipate namely some kind of random fog, tested this several times

made a mission FOG setting 0% at +/- 07.30 player in a chopper enroute to altis after a wake up scene (blackout turning to a burry and a clear screen) the plaer finds himself in a copper to altis when i lok outside first test its a clear sky second test its suddenly foggy 3rd test = foggy, 4h test = clear.

removed TPW form start up

1st test = clear sky, 2nd test clear sky, 3rd test clear sky

I never had this problem before today i dont know if its a feature or a bug

i will investigate furter to see if its not some sort of conflict with a other mod (unless somebody tells me its a feature :P)

i updated to the last TPW and i noticed a change i didn't anticipate namely some kind of random fog, tested this several times

made a mission FOG setting 0% at +/- 07.30 player in a chopper enroute to altis after a wake up scene (blackout turning to a burry and a clear screen) the plaer finds himself in a copper to altis when i lok outside first test its a clear sky second test its suddenly foggy 3rd test = foggy, 4h test = clear.

removed TPW form start up

1st test = clear sky, 2nd test clear sky, 3rd test clear sky

I never had this problem before today i dont know if its a feature or a bug

i will investigate furter to see if its not some sort of conflict with a other mod (unless somebody tells me its a feature :P)

It's a feature. TPW FOG (strangely enough) adds fog. If the temperature is below the dew point then you will get ground fog. And because of the slight randomisation of weather, the temperature and dew point will be slightly different each time, so you may or may not see fog at a given time. TPW FOG also adds a little fog to decrease visibility slightly when it's raining - the heavier it rains, the lower the visibility.

Turn on the debugging with tpw_fog_debug=true in your debug shell and see if your temperature and dewpoint are potentially causing fog in your mission.

supprisingly TPW fog seems to add fog :P , well if its a feature, i probably missed it reading the readme and changelogs , and the way you are explaining it, its a feature to be keeping around :) tnx for the info

(now hurring back in to ARMA III to kill bad guys in the very early (foggy :P ) morning)