tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

16 minutes ago, JD Wang said:

One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen here is that with tpw_air when the flyby aircraft is deleted it leaves an ejection set which then falls to the ground.

Not a big deal, but after testing a persistent mission overnight last night I notice a fair few littered across the map :)

Nice find JD Wang. I wasn't aware of the ejection seat issue, it never used to crop up. I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Hey guys, just a quick question, do the Fog scripts make the weather dynamic? For example, after a while, would the sky go from mildly clear to overcast? I thought I saw there were more clouds after a while during a mission test, but I wasn't sure.

8 hours ago, ContheJon said:

Hey guys, just a quick question, do the Fog scripts make the weather dynamic? For example, after a while, would the sky go from mildly clear to overcast? I thought I saw there were more clouds after a while during a mission test, but I wasn't sure.

No, FOG just adds the appropriate climatic flourishes specific to the region and the time of day and year. This is a design decision so as not to interfere unduly with missions. I do however run a simple dynamic weather script on my system, can provide it if you are interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tpw said:

No, FOG just adds the appropriate climatic flourishes specific to the region and the time of day and year. This is a design decision so as not to interfere unduly with missions. I do however run a simple dynamic weather script on my system, can provide it if you are interested.

For dynamic/random weather I use forceWeatherChange and random  numbers for separate weather conditions.  Works very well in every climate (except arctic) as long as you adjust for terrain.    And adjust otherwise you'll get pouring rain with clear skies.  

• Like 1

@tpw Yes please, that would be great! I'm working on a mission involving the Ravage mod on that Napf Winter island. I tried Ravage's own dynamic weather module but it looked like it stopped the snow after a while and just started pouring with rain, so I'm guessing the two are incompatible. Then again, I did read that it doesn't snow often. 

I'm trying the mission out this time with the rain disabled by the manual override in the Eden editor. I'll see if that maybe lets it snow now.

Edited by ContheJon

Here's my super simple weather randomising script.

// Random weather - wind needs to be set manual override
if (random 1 > 0.5) then
	{
	while {true} do
		{
		private ["_wind","_overcast","_time"];
		if (overcast > 0.5) then
			{
			_overcast = random 0.5;
			} else
			{
			_overcast = 0.5 + random 0.5;
			};
		_wind = random 0.25;	
		_time = 300 + random 900;
		sleep _time;
		_time setovercast _overcast;
		_time setwindstr _wind;
		sleep _time;
		};
	};

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thing with overcast is, it cannot catchup that fast. E.g. If overcast is low and there's not much wind and you set it to 1, it would take a lot of time. Can't remember, but something about an hour. You can force it with forceweatherchange, but that will be a harsh skip coupled with an fps drop.

But hey, you keep it moving.

Fog, especially thicker ground fog is a difficult affair, because player elevation has to be taken into account.

Rain was another weird thing, IIRC can only be supressed via a loop, because otherwise ArmA engine enforces rain if enough clouds.

As in:

while {true} do {seconds setrain value; sleep seconds}

• Like 1

Thanks a ton @tpw! I actually think your climate system and Ravage's dynamic weather are working together in a way. I haven't seen any snow, but I've noticed a lot of mist in the valleys and there's a distinct cold ambience to everything that Napf Winter didn't have before you kindly added it to the Arctic climate. Same with Esseker actually, those woods had mist in them all the time, even after a number of saves and reloads on the mission I made using Ravage.

@tortuosit Interesting. I had heard that weather could cause some lag in that regard a while ago, but had forgotten until just now. Thanks for that script!

Would it be possible to add arrays for skirmish vehicle strings, like as it is with cas, chs and uav in a future release? That's the only thing I find is a little lacking, everything else seems to work very well.

2 hours ago, MATR1X said:

Would it be possible to add arrays for skirmish vehicle strings, like as it is with cas, chs and uav in a future release? That's the only thing I find is a little lacking, everything else seems to work very well.

No worries mate I'll look into it for you. It shouldn't be rocket surgery. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 5:44 AM, tpw said:

Here's my super simple weather randomising script.

// Random weather - wind needs to be set manual override
if (random 1 > 0.5) then
	{
	while {true} do
		{
		private ["_wind","_overcast","_time"];
		if (overcast > 0.5) then
			{
			_overcast = random 0.5;
			} else
			{
			_overcast = 0.5 + random 0.5;
			};
		_wind = random 0.25;	
		_time = 300 + random 900;
		sleep _time;
		_time setovercast _overcast;
		_time setwindstr _wind;
		sleep _time;
		};
	};

Two Triggers:

Trigger 1
Condition: 1>0
Activation: WV = (Random 1); WC=true

Trigger 2
Condtion: WC
Activation: 0 setOvercast (WV*1.25);10 setRain (WV*.75); 0 setWaves (WV) ; 0 setfog (WV*.333); forceWeatherChange;

I've had to change the setOvercast and remove the coefficient, so I don't get heavy rain with clear skies, but it works very well.

Does anyone have any experience of using the ambience and some aspects of the civilians with ALiVE?

Here's a problem I frequently have:

If a friendly AI soldier, or AI civilian, is not in your group (meaning not under your control), and the AI soldier/civilian is injured . . . sometimes the AI won't stand still while I treat them for their injuries.

Does anyone know if there's a mod that will stop an AI from moving for 10 seconds if a "healing" process is started on them?  I'd like to heal up some of these injured AI people . . . but they keep walking away from me!  Hahahahaha.

It would be nice if the game detected when you start a medical procedure and it stopped any AI within' 3 feet of you from moving for 10 seconds.

Since we're talking about winter terrain, could you find a way to stop the fireflies?  Also, dunno how much influence you have on it, but is there any way to stop insects and birds as well?

Chernarus_winter

utes_winter

ThirskW

arctic

NapfWinter

Anyone else reading this you can use the debug console in the eden editor to determine the terrain name by entering the command wordName and select local exec.

7 hours ago, badanov said:

Since we're talking about winter terrain, could you find a way to stop the fireflies?  Also, dunno how much influence you have on it, but is there any way to stop insects and birds as well?

Chernarus_winter

utes_winter

ThirskW

arctic

NapfWinter

Anyone else reading this you can use the debug console in the eden editor to determine the terrain name by entering the command wordName and select local exec.

If you're using TPW FOG and maps are in TPW FOG's climate list then fireflies won't spawn if it's less than 20degC. Of the maps you mentioned only Napf Winter is in TPW FOG, so the rest will default to Altis weather and are warm enough for fireflies.

I'll put the other maps into TPW FOG but while you're waiting, tpw_firefly_active = false will kill the fireflies

I'm not enough of a config wrangler to kill the insects and birds. If you use JSRS then his environment settings pretty much kill ambient wildlife noises on most maps other than Altis/Stratis/Tanoa/Malden. I think this is a bug but you can try using it and see if it helps. 

9 hours ago, badanov said:

Chernarus_winter

utes_winter

ThirskW

arctic

NapfWinter

Each to there own I suppose,  but I like the cackle of crows on a crisp winter map. ^^

You can disable all ambient life by using the enableEnvironment command, there are a few ways...

Add this to the "On Activation" section of a trigger covering the whole map:

enableEnvironment [false, true];

Or, add this to an init.sqf

waitUntil {time > 0};
enableEnvironment [false, true];

• Like 2

Just wanted to eliminate the birds and bugs in winter maps.  enableEnvironment would kill everything, so on the whole I'd much rather suffer the bugs and birds.  Just wondered if you could do it.  Back to the game.

• Like 1

Hi TPW,

I suspect there is a small bug hidden in DUCK:

In the editor one can define the initial stance for units.

With DUCK active units set to 'prone' or 'kneel' change their stance back to 'standing' a few seconds after starting the mission.

Best regards

A.

On 10/22/2017 at 10:50 AM, badanov said:

Just wanted to eliminate the birds and bugs in winter maps.  enableEnvironment would kill everything, so on the whole I'd much rather suffer the bugs and birds.  Just wondered if you could do it.  Back to the game.

My first reaction would be, find the class names for the creatures / bugs that you want to eliminate and then create a blacklist for those names, maybe?

I'm going to give that a try myself if you get to it first let me know

9 hours ago, pvt. partz said:

My first reaction would be, find the class names for the creatures / bugs that you want to eliminate and then create a blacklist for those names, maybe?

I'm going to give that a try myself if you get to it first let me know

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

TPW improvements are like cupcakes.  They're great, but I can go on without them.

• Haha 1

You can also change the temperature value for fireflies to spawn-put it way up, then they should not spawn at all.

Also, I would not be worried about birds-birds do fly in the snow :) Snakes on the other hand...now that looks strange.

( Although for the herpetologists among us, the Canadian rubber boa can be seen actively hunting in light snow. Nerd speech over. ):f:

But as TPW said-improvements/cupcakes etc. Agreed.

Hey guys i need help. Dunno if its a bug or i'm just dumb:

1:

tpw_fall_falltime = 60; - despite this setting AI units recover after same time on ground (about 5 seconds) no matter if they were animated or ragdolled. As i can understand with 60 seconds in this line after ragdoll AI must recover in a range between 60 and 120 sec... any ideas?

2:

tpw_bleedout_active = 1;
tpw_bleedout_inc = 3;
tpw_bleedout_ithresh = 0.70; - despite this settings, player always dies when bleeding out to the threshold HP (30% in this case i guess...?) instead of passing out.

plz help

thanks in advance! 

@tpw

Hi man hope alls well...

I just updated to the latest update,loving the features,feels more refined than ever.

I was wondering if TPW fall,you might add an optional parameter in the config.

Specifically  "tpw_fall_falltime ="  which sets a MAXIMUM time on ground after bullet hit. Is there any chance of adding a Minimum time on ground parameter?

The reason i ask is because im using psychs ais wounding revive system,which actually works very well with TPW fall( it didnt in the past but does now) with the exception of units standing back up while still in a "need to be revived" state . its small issue but breaks immersion.I understand TPW mods will often not play well with others as theres alot of tweaks,and you cant make this compatible with everything,but if you could add this feature it would be nice,with or without the revive script i use,it would be a nice parameter to change if one simply wanted shot AI to be disabled for longer amounts of time.

On 10/31/2017 at 12:37 PM, badanov said:

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

TPW improvements are like cupcakes.  They're great, but I can go on without them.

Be my guest :)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 2:07 AM, oldy41 said:

Hi TPW,

I suspect there is a small bug hidden in DUCK:

In the editor one can define the initial stance for units.

With DUCK active units set to 'prone' or 'kneel' change their stance back to 'standing' a few seconds after starting the mission.

Best regards

A.

Hmm, you're right. I've amended the code slightly for the next release, this should sort it out.