tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

TPW_Muffler requires JSRS sound mod. I already have two other sound mods, neither of which are JSRS. It's a real framerate killer.

Never used the skirmish mode before, and have been using TPW for year, it's absolutely awesome.  Adds a lot to Alive campaigns. 

Great work TPW, this mod is a must have - thanks for the hard work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, autigergrad said:

@tpw  So this guy appears to have taken all of my sound files (and probably some of yours as well) and passed them off as his own.  You may want to take a peek and see if some of these are yours. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2376986437&searchtext=

I don't use that mod.

7 hours ago, autigergrad said:

@tpw  So this guy appears to have taken all of my sound files (and probably some of yours as well) and passed them off as his own.  You may want to take a peek and see if some of these are yours. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2376986437&searchtext=

Sigh. I'll have a look, thanks for the heads up mate.

@tpwI see a ton of AI tweaks, as if TPW is an AI mod.

Probably  this will conflict  with other AI mods, I am using LAMBS AI-mod and will be wary of conflicts, or in vain?

Still, thank you for the long awaited release.

[BLEEDOUT 1.37] Fix for units occasionally being stuck writhing

Thanks for fixing this finally!

On 1/25/2021 at 11:47 PM, mickeymen said:

I really like your setting - tpw_bleedout_affect = 1

We know that a soldier cannot be the same after being wounded.

That is, in real life, on the battlefield, he cannot restore his values to their original level.

But in TPW, after the treatment, the AI and the player will fully recover, this is unrealistic.

Please make a setting for the player to choose whether the healing will restore speed / skill to the initial value or not.

Something like that:

tpw_bleedout_fullrestore = 1;

if 1, then  the player and AI will fully restore their speed/skill.

if 0, then the player and AI will have reduced their speed/skill even after treatment. This will mean that the treatment will only stop the bleeding, but will not make injured soldier the same how before.

A setup like this will delight TPW player and add some realism, this means once wounded units will be less effective than uninjured ones. 

I would like to know what you think about this?

This is good idea or not good for tpw mod?

11 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

@tpwI see a ton of AI settings as if TPW is an AI mod.

Probably  this will conflict  with other AI mods, I am using LAMBS AI-mod and will be wary of conflicts, or in vain?

The new settings only affect units spawned by TPW SKIRMISH, and in any case can be toggled off with TPW_SKIRMISH_ORGANIC = False if you notice or are worried about conflicts.

13 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

I would like to know what you think about this?

This is good idea or not good for tpw mod?

I'll look into additional improvements to TPW BLEEDOUT, thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

@tpwI see a ton of AI tweaks, as if TPW is an AI mod.

Still, thank you for the long awaited release.

Thanks for fixing this finally!

I too use all the Lambs modules in my Alive campaigns, and I've not noticed any issues or conflicts with TPW.  Skirmishes really adds another layer of combat to Alive as well...really nice!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EDIT- resolved. P207 talked about a missing pbo. I followed the dropbox link on that page and mod is now functional.

Hey guys, after a long time away from arma Im back and loving it, but its not the same without TPW. Ive installed it using the built in installer, and have the TPW_MODS hpp file (along with the tpw_settings py file and editing doc) in the arma 3/userconfig/TPW_MODS folder. Also can confirm I have CBA installed as I use it with other mod profiles which include ACE, RHS etc. For whatever reason Im not getting any initialisation of the mod when I go in game. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance and hoping for help because in terms of ambiance and immersion this is pretty much a must have!

Edited by Guest
resolved

Now if only we had tpw_tasks ..... little missions that we could do while the world is alive around us 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Sunscreen said:

Hey guys, after a long time away from arma Im back and loving it, but its not the same without TPW. Ive installed it using the built in installer, and have the TPW_MODS hpp file (along with the tpw_settings py file and editing doc) in the arma 3/userconfig/TPW_MODS folder. Also can confirm I have CBA installed as I use it with other mod profiles which include ACE, RHS etc. For whatever reason Im not getting any initialisation of the mod when I go in game. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance and hoping for help because in terms of ambiance and immersion this is pretty much a must have!

Does it show up in your mod list in the launcher? Just installing the files and the HPP are not enough, you do need to activate it. Apologies if you have already done this.

EDIT: Can you tell me what's the contents of your @TPW_MODS\addons directory?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kremator said:

Now if only we had tpw_tasks ..... little missions that we could do while the world is alive around us 😉

Yeah mate I've been thinking about something like this for a long time. Just got to work out how to do it in a plausible way.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, tpw said:

Does it show up in your mod list in the launcher? Just installing the files and the HPP are not enough, you do need to activate it. Apologies if you have already done this.

EDIT: Can you tell me what's the contents of your @TPW_MODS\addons directory?

Hi TPW and thanks so much for getting back to me. You can disregard my message as I have figured out what the problem was and have it working now. I found a message on p207 about a missing pbo file so followed your link there and downloaded off dropbox- was previously using an armaholic link. When I installed it put 94 files in as opposed to 93 from the armaholic one and given that its now working I think its reasonable to assume that was the issue. Can I congratulate you on a great piece of work by the way- this really brings the world to life and Ive been missing it since I picked up arma again. 

39 minutes ago, tpw said:

Yeah mate I've been thinking about something like this for a long time. Just got to work out how to do it in a plausible way.

Even just simple stuff that can be built upon .... 'go here', 'observe this', 'find a stash' kinda thing.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:11 AM, tpw said:

The interplay of BLEEDOUT/CORE/FALL is very complicated and I've done my very best to iron out the game breaking glitches in this system, but some minor ones still remain - for instance if you shoot incapacitated units (naughty you), you'll occasionally see them flip 180 degrees end over. I think this is a bug in the animation/ragdoll physics, not of my system though.

It seems to me that most of the problems associated with animations are related only to FALL MODUE,  I'm sorry...
Unfortunately today,  just like 5 years ago, the FALL MODUE works badly, player constant animation glitches.

Some of them:

* After falling, at first, the unit lies on its stomach, but after a split second it will already lie on its back
* I have already forgotten how such jumping corpses from a prone position (thanks to the "Ragdoll-Effects-Overhaul" mod, yes it really works! ), but with the FALL module, corpses start jumping into heaven again
* First, the unit lies with one azimuth, but after a split second it will lie with the opposite azimuth (180 degrees rotation which you talked about).

* A new and ugly pose of corpses appears, which looks very unnatural (static pose without ragdoll). The legs of the corpse hangs in the air, above ground level. (old ACE3 issue)

* Sometimes, after falling a soldier,  as I understand it, falls into the "unconscious" condition, then its unconscious body starts slowly spinning in the above mentioned by me pose

* When a first-person player is falled by a bullet, his point of view switched from head to his back (from rifle on his back view),  after that, the player begins to take his rifle from the back into his hands again and then player vision returns to the normal

I observed all these glitches 5 years ago, in old versions of tpw,  in the latest version I meet this again :(

As soon as I disable the FALL MODUE, I stop seeing all these glitches.

The animation system is extremely clunky, inconsistent and downright bloody bug ridden. Some animations can only be played by switchmove, others only by playmove. Some can be interrupted by death, some cannot. Some are smooth in the preview and glitchy when actually used, etc etc ad nauseum. Setunconscious can generate realistic fall, agony animations and get back up animations, but units incapacitated thusly cannot be recognised as injured by other units and will not be treated. 

@tpw 

I really appreciate your struggle with all these issues. Thank you very much, but sometimes it seems to me that it can be easier to shed excess weight and focus on other things that can still be fixed/ improved technically.  

It seems to me, that if these are not solvable problems technically in the future, then the FALL MODUE makes no sense in general. It hurts player to look at all these animation glitches

It only takes up your time and energy, and at the same time does not make the A3 better.

@mickeymen: I think that is a very good summary of the FALL modules animation issues.

Being a big all-time fan of that module I would rather beg TPW not to follow your conclusion to abandon the module completely. I believe it worth every effort to iron out one or the other of the remaining glitches, if that is possible at all with the current Arma engine.

Actually, FALL is the single TPW module I am using all the time, since the vanilla AI reaction to bullet impacts is so lame and immersion breaking...

The thing about my mods is that they're configurable. Don't like the compromises I have to make with FALL? Disable it. If you think the animation glitches are an improvement over units twitching while they soak up bullets and then drop dead, then enable it. At the end of the day, I write this shit for me. I absolutely cannot stand the default injury behaviours at the core of a so called military sim, so I write workarounds for them. I've just motivated myself back into dealing with this game, spent a @#$%load of my time trying to iron out bugs and really really really don't appreciate being told I should abandon it because it doesn't come up to a standard.     

• Like 4

8 hours ago, oldy41 said:

Actually, FALL is the single TPW module I am using all the time

Have you found so little in TPW? There are many other good things in there.

For example, I like the heart rate of a game, this is not in any other mod!

I also like the fact that the wounded AI will always be slower and less effective in combat.

I will not list everything, there are other cool stuff too...

8 hours ago, oldy41 said:

since the vanilla AI reaction to bullet impacts is so lame and immersion breaking...

Why don't you leave yourself another choice? Only tpw and vanilla? 

There are many other mods giving bullet hit reactions or simply removing the ugly hit-reactions of the vanilla game.

4 hours ago, tpw said:

The thing about my mods is that they're configurable. Don't like the compromises I have to make with FALL? Disable it.

Big Thanks you for this opportunity! Really thanks, because If I didn't have this opportunity, then I would not use TPW at all. 

4 hours ago, tpw said:

If you think the animation glitches are an improvement over units twitching while they soak up bullets and then drop dead, then enable it.

I don't like it either, believe me, but what I see in FALL looks much worse. Sorry but I said honestly. At least six bleeding reasons, I have already described above, against one reason from the vanilla game

There are many other mods giving bullet hit reactions or simply removing the ugly reactions of the vanilla game.

I turned off for myself these ugly hit-reactions from a vanilla game for a long time, using a mods "Ragdoll-Effects-Overhaul" or Ragdoll Physics Plus+  for me it works smoothly. Thank so much to their autor 

I absolutely cannot stand the default injury behaviours at the core of a so called military sim, so I write workarounds for them

I completely agree with you, I also not like it

4 hours ago, tpw said:

and really really really don't appreciate being told I should abandon it because it doesn't come up to a standard.     

@tpw, I'm not going to tell you what to remove and what to add in your personal work. It is not that.

I only regret your efforts, your struggle with the old  game engine. You yourself above complained about the current state of the animation system in Arma3, Is not it?

I, in turn, only answered your complaints.

I only suggested (!but did not order) you to get rid of a difficult burden and focus your energies on doable things. 

There is nothing wrong with my intention. Moreover, this is a rational intention

TPW MODS 20210207: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7w3b1h0l0834un/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

• [BLEEDOUT 1.38] Previously injured units will bleed out at an increased rate if injured again.
  • [CORE 1.82, FOG 18.5, SOAP 1.58] Added Scottish Highlands (Corran) support.
  • [FALL 1.71] Improved hit handling for prone units. Previously injured units more likely to be killed outright.

The main focus of this update has been to add support to the inspired Scottish Highlands Corran terrain by Morriski / Big Jilm (depending on forum). It's just incredible how he's been able to use the limited Arma3 palette to produce a map so plausible and atmospheric and evocative. Something so obviously Scottish needs more than generic climate support, so I've had a lot of fun putting together a pack of young/old/male/female/happy/aggro Scottish voices and some representative popular and traditional music (I've resisted the urge to plaster bagpipes everywhere!).  If you haven't downloaded this terrain I urge you to do so, and have fun ye wee basturds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tpw said:

aggro Scottish voices

Ok gotta download just for this -"those fooooooookin bastahds!!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, tpw said:

aggro Scottish voices

If you need any more just gimme a shout. :icon_biggrin:  Seriously tho, a canny wait to try this oot. :rthumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The latest version seems to be missing the Scottish sounds folder, anyone else?

• 1 hour ago, EO said:

The latest version seems to be missing the Scottish sounds folder, anyone else?

The automated scripts I use to prepare everything for upload work 100% of the time - provided I have the @#$&ing files in the right place to start with. That’s two uploads in a row I’ve bolloxed, third time’s  the charm. Please redownload, I promise the files are there!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2021 at 3:59 AM, tpw said:
  • [BLEEDOUT 1.38] Previously injured units will bleed out at an increased rate if injured again.
  • [FALL 1.71] Improved hit handling for prone units. Previously injured units more likely to be killed outright.

@tpw  Now there are some consequences of injury.

it seemed to me that you listened to what I asked you above. Thank you very much! 
My opinion - Once wounded, soldier cannot be the same, even after treatment - such conception would look more realistic within the TPW gameplay.

However, what about the speed of movement? Can't you make a unit, once wounded, always less fast/accurate, even after treatment? 

On 2/2/2021 at 1:31 AM, mickeymen said:

Something like that:

tpw_bleedout_fullrestore = 1;

if 1, then  the player and AI will fully restore their speed/skill.

if 0, then the player and AI will have reduced their speed/skill even after treatment. This will mean that the treatment will only stop the bleeding, but will not make injured soldier the same how before

Also some thoughts out loud:

I have always regretted that in Arma3 the reload animation speed will always be the same, regardless of the soldier's injurie presence. Here, I find it a big nonsense for military simulator.

I know, that the speed of reloading initially in A3 was depended on the level of AI. So, It can probably be configured!!!

Could you also slow down the reload rate for all injured soldiers as well?

That would be great...

@tpw:

With one of the latest versions a problem seems to have crept into the FALL module:

When the player is recovering after a hit he is now forced through a rather lengthy animation, which includes a kneeling position. More often than not this results in a rather frustrating death of your avatar while you have to watch him stretch his arms in the middle of a bullet storm 😣.

Can this be changed to sequence of prone animations?

And not to forget: Many many thanks for still maintaining this fantastic mod! As i mentioned: I can't do without at least FALL, and would like it to be the best it can be 😁