tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Hey bro,any plans to integrate the new brown bear into your flock of animals?

• Like 1

Yeah i found an instance on Altis with a spawned UAV from TPW air which spawned on the ground and started off roading lol

• Haha 2

Curious, does anyone have this running on an MP Linux server?   I'm not entirely sure if this is supposed to be a server-only mod or client mod that everyone is required to have (I notice no key)   So far I have had success in running it in windows.  I tried running it as a -servermod but this would not allow my Linux arma server to startup, it simply failed.  I also tried running it as a -mod this allowed the server to launch but does not appear tow or.  

On a positive note, the included configuration python script works perfectly. 

@Barackuse 

It's probably worth noting TPW MOD is primarily single player focused....

Disclaimer / Licence

TPW MODS is an SP mod, portions of which may work in MP. I totally refuse to accept responsibility for anything that might happen to your MP game/computer/life as a result of using my mods. 

If you accept this, then feel free to use and modify this code, on the proviso that you post back changes and improvements so that everyone can benefit from them, and properly acknowledge the original author (tpw) in any derivative works. Wrapping my unacknowledged work up inside your pbo addon and monetising it does not count as returning it to the community. Distributing my work via Steam Workshop is expressly forbidden.

TPW MODS 20201228: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7w3b1h0l0834un/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

• [CORE 1.80,FOG 1.83, SOAP 1.54] Added support for Orglandes
  • [ANIMALS 1.61] Added support for walk3r's ambient brown bears (includes custom bear noises) on densely forested European maps.
  • [CORE 1.80,BOATS 1.41 CARS 1.71, CIVS 1.65, CROWD 1.22] Consolidated civ spawning code into CORE. Balanced male/female ratio. Improved support for Max Women, Max Women at Work, Cup Civs, Timberwolf Females, Crasus Shirt Mod, Aengus Civilians, SC Civilians, Arganiny Civilians. 
  • [SKIRMISH 1.55] Squads will not run everywhere if there are no nearby enemies.

Hi everyone, I hope you managed to have a bit of joy this Christmas. A year defined by disease, geopolitical insanity and social media driven delusion has left me pretty anxious and not inclined to spend a lot of time playing or coding for A3. Nevertheless I've plugged away making small improvements here and there and largely ignoring feedback and complaints. No apologies for this or the long time in between releases.  Let's hope 2021 is a vast improvement on 2020 and I can get some A3 mojo back. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

18 hours ago, tpw said:

Hi everyone, I hope you managed to have a bit of joy this Christmas. A year defined by disease, geopolitical insanity and social media driven delusion has left me pretty anxious and not inclined to spend a lot of time playing or coding for A3. Nevertheless I've plugged away making small improvements here and there and largely ignoring feedback and complaints. No apologies for this or the long time in between releases.  Let's hope 2021 is a vast improvement on 2020 and I can get some A3 mojo back. 

I hear ya. Arma 3 is one of my main escapes from everything going on.

I'm going to report a couple glitches for whenever you feel up to looking at it or not.

My goal is to override the hpp config settings to make TPW compatible with my upcoming campaign, so I am changing the different flags shortly after the mission starts.

1) snow: if tpw_fog_cansnow is defined true in the hpp config (and weather conditions permit), it will always snow regardless of the value of tpw_fog_snowflag. Looks like an easy fix in tpw_fog_fnc_snow function to just check for the snowflag. I'm trying to override the snowing in my missions and even with 'tpw_fog_active = false' I am still getting unwanted snow.

2) duck: a couple things with the duck functionality, one is that in the 'tpw_duck' script sets tpw_duck_active to true after 5 secs. I can work around that, but wanted to mention it, not sure why that's in there. One other very odd thing with duck is that in one of my missions with duck active, I am getting an error with the fired event handler. Line 164 in the current version, 'if ((_this select 1) == "Throw")', the error indicates that select 1 is not valid. I know that's crazy. Works fine in another mission. There are a bunch of RHS units in battle, but I can't imagine how this error would occur. Your code looks good to me, but wanted to mention it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Happy Holidays there tpw - good to see ya still around these forums these post-apocolypto daze 😄

Theres bears and Timberwolves now?! Smokes i need to get back in 

• Like 2

Nice to see you back TPW.

It was 2020 that actually got me back into Arma3 and its so refreshing.I now remember why my playtime on this dwarfs every other game i have.Im talking Altis to Utes in terms of dwarfism. lol

• Like 1

Hi all. Looks like 2021 is off to an "interesting" start. I need to do less doomscrolling and play more Arma3 to distract myself. In fact that's what I've been doing, I've been working on refining, bug fixing and feature adding. Here's some stuff that should be released soon:

• Fixed bug that occasionally resulting in injured AI stuck writhing after being healed
  • Added additional animations to AI after recovering from injury, so they don't just jump straight back into the fight
  • Fixed some sporadic car music bugs
  • Overhauled Skirmish AI behaviour so that they no longer walk around in the default robotic A3 way, and no longer stand like mannequins when not moving.
  • Fixed the snow issue as reported by AZCoder
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On 1/22/2021 at 1:17 AM, tpw said:

Fixed bug that occasionally resulting in injured AI stuck writhing after being healed

Aliluyah!

I hope this is the same error that I have been informing you about for 2 years!

Hey @tpw, love the mod(set), If I may be so bold do you have any plans perhaps to integrate MP / Dedi support?.

Thanks for continuing to work on this project.

• Like 1

Would be cool if you could add a texture behind the hud where the eyepiece is on the glasses, maybe have a magnified pip view on it to show where your looking a bit better, or just make it look like a screen that the hud is on, I think that would be a really cool detail 

Please Remove this post. This is wrong

• Fixed bug that occasionally resulting in injured AI stuck writhing after being healed
  • Added additional animations to AI after recovering from injury, so they don't just jump straight back into the fight
  •  

@tpw it's great that you do medicine. Thank you!

Please add a screen or something else if the player is bleeding. Any effect convenient for you (chromatic aberration, image darkening, blurring, etc.).

Today, in TPW, the player does not understand that he has little blood if he bleeds out (TPW BLEEDOUT)

Without this understanding, the player can suddenly die, for no apparent reason this is bad. The player needs some kind of indicator, some kind of understanding of how bad his condition is.

I think phased screen dimming is the best option

One more request. Your BLEEDOUT module settings:

// BLEEDOUT
tpw_bleedout_active = 1; // 0 = inactive
tpw_bleedout_inc = 5; // unit damage will be increased by this % every 10 sec
tpw_bleedout_ithresh = 0.85; // damage beyond which a unit will writhe around incapacitated (1 = dead)
tpw_bleedout_heartbeat = 1; // Player heartbeat visible as slight screen shake (0 = no heartbeat shake)
tpw_bleedout_selfheal = 1; // AI units will automatically try to stop their own bleeding if equipped with First Aid Kits (0 = no self heal)
tpw_bleedout_affect = 1; // All injured units will have their speed and skill lowered according to the degree of injury (0 = units'  speed/skill unaffected by injury)
tpw_bleedout_geneva = 1; // Incapacitated units are set as non-combatants so that other AI will not fire on them (0 = incapacitated units can be fired upon by AI).
//><

I really like your setting - tpw_bleedout_affect = 1

We know that a soldier cannot be the same after being wounded.

That is, in real life, on the battlefield, he cannot restore his values to their original level.

But in TPW, after the treatment, the AI and the player will fully recover, this is unrealistic.

Please make a setting for the player to choose whether the healing will restore speed / skill to the initial value or not.

Something like that:

tpw_bleedout_fullrestore = 1;

if 1, then  the player and AI will fully restore their speed/skill.

if 0, then the player and AI will have reduced their speed/skill even after treatment. This will mean that the treatment will only stop the bleeding, but will not make injured soldier the same how before.

A setup like this will delight TPW player and add some realism, this means once wounded units will be less effective than uninjured ones. 

Edited by mickeymen
adding more useful info

TPW MODS 20210130: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7w3b1h0l0834un/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

• [BLEEDOUT 1.37] Fix for units occasionally being stuck writhing.
  • [CORE 1.81] Refactored unit disable/reenable routines to prevent non responsive and bugged units. Removed bugged injury animations. Added additional animations after unit is re-enabled after injury.
  • [DUCK 1.14] AI in the player's squad will return to formation after fleeing a grenade.
  • [FOG 1.84] Snow can be properly toggled off/on using tpw_fog_snowflag false/true (Thanks AZCoder)
  • [SOAP 1.57] Fixed sporadic car music errors.
  • [SKIRMISH] Squads will not spawn outside map boundaries. Squads exhibit more naturalistic movement - occasional stopping, relaxed animations when stopped, looser formation adherence, less time with weapons raised when not in combat. Squads will not abandon dead and (will attempt to heal) incapacitated members. Added LDF, Spetnaz and NATO Woodland as user selectable (9,10 and 11 respectively).
  • EDIT 20210131: Yesterday's upload was incomplete. Please redownload. Sorry for the mixup.

Gday everyone!  OK so this is a pretty big release, in which I've attempted to address a few of my long standing issues with AI behaviour and the code I use to deal with it. As we're all painfully aware, default A3 AI run constantly around from engagement to engagement with weapons raised , abandoning sick and dead squadmates, twitching as they soak up bullets til they just die, adhering to rigid movement formation and standing like robots otherwise. I'd already tried to modify this behaviour with TPW FALL / TPW BLEEDOUT / TPW SKIRMISH, but I've spent a few weeks really diving deep into it and have come up with a few (I think) improvements

1. Under careless/safe/aware conditions SKIRMISH AI no longer follow each other like a perfectly spaced conga line, but move far more organically in little groups. If the leader up ahead turns 180 degrees they'll no longer just continue to walk to that spot and then turn (sheesh!).
  2. AI on foot patrol occasionally stop if not out in the open and not in combat. Stopped AI now exhibit a large range of much more interesting idle animations.
  3. AI in non combat conditions do not constantly move with their bloody weapons raised. I know they're not human but it's not humanly possible to walk for 30 minutes holding a 3-4kg rifle (let alone an antimateriel rifle) to your eye. So they now alternate between raised and lowered, in a more plausible fashion.
  4. AI only run constantly when under actual combat. You'll no longer see a squad sprinting towards their next engagement 2km away.
  5. AI do not crouch walk / crouch run with aforementioned heavy rifle raised constantly.
  6. AI will stay in the vicinity of incapacitated squadmates and will not abandon them to fight another engagement. In fact AI will attempt to heal incapacitated squaddies. 
  7.  AI don't just piss off to their next engagement and leave dead squadmates behind, but will stay in the vicinity until the dead units are removed (by TPW SKIRMISH cleanup routines).
  8. If you don't like these above new behaviours they can be toggled with tpw_skirmish_organic = False/True
  9. TPW BLEEDOUT / CORE / FALL no longer sporadically generates unresponsive unhealable units stuck in agony animations. 

Believe me when I say that it's VERY difficult over-riding the default behaviours and animations of AI to get some more authenticity into their behaviour. The animation system is extremely clunky, inconsistent and downright bloody bug ridden. Some animations can only be played by switchmove, others only by playmove. Some can be interrupted by death, some cannot. Some are smooth in the preview and glitchy when actually used,  etc etc ad nauseum. Setunconscious can generate realistic fall, agony animations and get back up animations, but units incapacitated thusly cannot be recognised as injured by other units and will not be treated. The interplay of BLEEDOUT/CORE/FALL is very complicated and I've done my very best to iron out the game breaking glitches in this system, but some minor ones still remain - for instance if you shoot incapacitated units (naughty you), you'll occasionally see them flip 180 degrees end over. I think this is a bug in the animation/ragdoll physics, not of my system though. 

I'm really not interested in hearing about how I should have fixed the bugs in this system years ago (or why I haven't implemented your suggestions with sufficient alacrity). Given how shithouse the state of A3 is, it's amazing that I continue coding for it at all :) I will continue to refine these new additions and will implement some of the BLEEDOUT and other suggestions over the coming weeks, once I'm sure the current implementation is working properly for users other than me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, tpw said:

AI in non combat conditions do not constantly move with their bloody weapons raised. I know they're not human but it's not humanly possible to walk for 30 minutes holding a 3-4kg rifle (let alone an antimateriel rifle) to your eye. So they now alternate between raised and lowered, in a more plausible fashion.

AHHHH! Seriously one of my biggest pet peeves!

Outstanding

• Like 2

Long overdue. Even stopping to have a smoke would be really cool.

Thank you TPW!

PS: I would assume your update could or probably will conflict with other AI mods?

8 hours ago, pvt. partz said:

Long overdue. Even stopping to have a smoke would be really cool.

Thank you TPW!

PS: I would assume your update could or probably will conflict with other AI mods?

Hi mate. The organic behaviours only apply to TPW SKIRMISH spawned AI. I don't run any behaviour mods, please let me know if you find a problem though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ItzJerry02 said:

I don't see the tpw_mods.pbo anywhere in the dropbox?

Stupid me @#$%ed up the upload. I've fixed it now, please try again.

• Like 1