tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

11 hours ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

(as well as Enhanced Movement mod)

Enhanced Movement works fine in MP. Source: Played on Saturday and had no issues with it. I can't say anything about TPW though.

Hey TPW!

Seems to me your mod (BLEEDOUT MODULE, as I suspect) is causing problems for the player when he is pilot of jet.

When an anti-air missile hit a player’s plane and the player’s plane loses control ability, player catapults and flies out of the plane alive,  but as soon as player selects in the action menu - "Open parachute" he immediately dies!

There is no reason for death, because the player is ejected from plane alive!

I noticed that, in the TPW the units do not die inside the vehicles, with the loss of blood (if I'm wrong, then correct me) For this reason, I suspect that the player is losing a large amount of blood at the anti-air missile hit, but until the player opened the parachute, he still in status "inside the vehicle" and he does not die. As soon as player opened the parachute, his status changes to "outside the vehicle" and he immediately dies.

I think this is a TPW problem, because without in a vanilla game, I never met such a problem. 

Has anyone seen such a problem in the same way?

Thanks guys for the various reports, which I'll look into (apart from the "why doesn't your explicitly single player mod work on a dedicated server")   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tpw said:

Thanks guys for the various reports, which I'll look into (apart from the "why doesn't your explicitly single player mod work on a dedicated server")   

Not a dedicated server... just plain MP LAN (yeah, some peskly nice missions are COOP only, so I play them on LAN, some explicitly ask you to play them SP on LAN... and some are easier to find on MP LAN), and TPW and EM worked fine for them before, but since Contact dlc, they just doesn´t activate anymore, probably they depend on some deprecated function but it´s a nuisance, not a big problem 😃 

1 hour ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

Not a dedicated server... just plain MP LAN (yeah, some peskly nice missions are COOP only, so I play them on LAN, some explicitly ask you to play them SP on LAN... and some are easier to find on MP LAN), and TPW and EM worked fine for them before, but since Contact dlc, they just doesn´t activate anymore, probably they depend on some deprecated function but it´s a nuisance, not a big problem 😃 

All cool, it wasn’t your comment I was referring to. No doubt something in contact upset things, because I have changed nothing related to the (vestigial) map support. I’ll ry to investigate, but no promises!

• Thanks 1

Hey @TPW, I found the following problem in your mod.

Seems to me, I got this after updating Contact.

When I shoot from a vehicle’s machine gun (only optics mode without Night vision/Thermal) I noticeably lose game performance (LOW FPS) and also sometimes (at certain angles of fire), bullets hit into an invisible barrier!

While using night vision/Thermal then performance is good

Example here:

I checked several times - If I turn off TPW mod, then there is no problem

I suspect this is due to the suppression effects that the invisible box creates for the player. Please fix this!

Also I would like to know - if you found this problem in TPW or not?

TPW MODS 20190831: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7w3b1h0l0834un/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

• [CORE 1.75, FOG 1.77, RAINFX 1.21, SOAP 1.49] Added Cham Winter.
  • [MUFFLER] Reconfigured to patch JSRS_Soundmod_Complete.
  • [SKIRMISH 1.53] Any faction may be assigned civilian clothing by adding 0.1 to its number. e.g 7 = FIA, 7.1 = FIA in civilian clothing, -7.1 = FIA in civilian clothes + shemaghs. -0.1 = custom faction in civ clothes + shemaghs. Improved damage ambience around explosions: immediate terrain objects vapourised, nearby objects damaged, trees reduced to stumps, more persistent haze. 

I haven't had a lot of time to work on TPW MODS over the last month, so I'll just release what I've done so far. @mickeymenI'll work on the issues you identified as time permits. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Looks like some good stuff has been going on!

It's been a bit since I've opened the hpp so I'll throw an example below, I'm sure I'm boogering something up here lol

tpw_skirmish_enemyvehiclestring[] = {"I_MRAP_03_hmg_F","I_Truck_02_transport_F","I_APC_tracked_03_cannon_F","I_Truck_02_box_F"}; // Custom strings (comma separated) to select enemy vehicles from config

Seems when I add that custom string of vehicles I still get the basic technical pickup with the MG or AT on the back 0_o

On 8/31/2019 at 7:28 AM, tpw said:

@mickeymenI'll work on the issues you identified as time permits.

Thanks you @TPW.

I also want to tell you for a long time and constantly postpone this question.

Please also consider DUCK (AI-grenade avoiding) because  AI extremely rarely uses maximum movement speed to escape from a grenade explosion!

As a result, avoidance efficiency is very small. I made a video for you with three AI attempts to avoid a grenade explosion:

* the first grenade throw - from 6 soldiers no one survives (pay attention only three run away, the rest go away in slow steps)

* the second grenade throw - from 6 soldiers only one survive (pay attention only three run away, the rest go away in slow steps)

* the third grenade throw - from 5 soldiers only one survive (pay attention only only two run away, the rest go away in slow steps)

As you can see they are not all in a hurry to escape!

However, please explain how it works?  Should an AI see a grenade or AI only should be inside the radius of a fallen grenade?

AI will be use self vision or not? Maybe they don’t run away because they don’t see the grenade? But then why are they trying to leave, at a slow pace?

I think this is not logical...

The good implementation in my view would be this -

In order for AI to escape, two conditions are needed:

1) AI should see the fallen grenade visually.  I don’t know whether it’s possible to implement in the game or not, but if the AI sees enemies, then why it can’t see the grenade? To do this, AI needs to be turned in grenade direction and this should work at a distance from 0 meters and so on to any max-distance you set. For example, 10 meters  may be max-distance. Also at desire, you can give a random customizable chance of probability for escape, for example - 0.8, 0.85 etc. 

2) AI must hear the fallen grenade (! if even not see). It is only at short distances - when the grenade fell within < 2-3 meters.

if any of these items takes place be, then the AI must run away at full speed! Please make sure that all soldiers (if not injured ) always run away grenade at maximum speed - I think if a  any person notices a grenade he will always run at full speed - this will add realism and increase survival.

What do you think about it? I don’t know how this is possible or not, just say what you could implement and what you could not

Thank you

@tpw, Looks like some low-life has decided to upload TPW MOD to the Steam Workshop, this guy is even asking for donations for uploading other peoples work!! 

Edit: After leaving a polite comment informing him it's forbidden to upload TPW to the Workshop, he has now disabled all comments from his main page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EO said:

@tpw, Looks like some low-life has decided to upload TPW MOD to the Steam Workshop, this guy is even asking for donations for uploading other peoples work!! 

Edit: After leaving a polite comment informing him it's forbidden to upload TPW to the Workshop, he has now disabled all comments from his main page.

Thanks mate, I appreciate you going in to bat for me. At least he didn’t call it Xandro’s Mods. 

I'd imagine the title makes no difference to a large proportion of Workshop users, unless you frequent this forum, who would know what TPW actually means....I mean you haven't even been mentioned or credited in his description.

I also took the liberty to subscribe, just to see what was contained inside and it's a basically a full copy/paste of all TPW content.  

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, tpw said:

Thanks mate, I appreciate you going in to bat for me. At least he didn’t call it Xandro’s Mods. 

As a long-time user, I tried to log a DMCA notice for you but as I'm neither "the copyright owner" nor "authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf in this situation", I'll let you proceed as you deem fit:

https://steamcommunity.com/dmca/create/1854385142

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EO said:

He's even asking for people to send money to him, for stuff that he had no part in making at all. That's ridiculous.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, EO said:

It's sad really. Since we can't file a DMCA notice I at least reported it to steam.

• Thanks 1

I may have misunderstood the crow addition, but is there a way to turn off the crows showing up around dead bodies?  I'm not seeing it in the user config and I thought there was a way to do it.  After the AI gets murdered, I'm overwhelmed by a murder of crows!  (Really, it's more of an issue on desert maps).

Thanks guys for your support. @domokun I have filed a DMCA takedown (thanks for the link), let's see how that goes. I was a bit conflicted doing so, DMCA has been wielded pretty bluntly by big corporations.

@gatordev I have added a crow switch, will release it shortly

@mickeymen, I've massively sharpened up the AI response to grenades (by disabling various AI parameters so they just run instead of @#$%ing around). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tpw said:

I have added a crow switch, will release it shortly

Thank you, sir!

I read about past releases, one in which you added a separate Livonia mod.  I can't find it.  Can you post it here.

Right now the sounds they have embedded in Livonia is, IMMHO. responsible for a declination of frame rates.  I want to see how well your patch works, and if the frame rates improve.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:00 AM, tpw said:

@mickeymen, I've massively sharpened up the AI response to grenades (by disabling various AI parameters so they just run instead of @#$%ing around). 

Thank you very much!

However, could you explain the principles of Grenade Duck to all users of your mod?

Most importantly, I would like to know the vision of the AI will be taken into account or not? 

Maybe will the code only work relative to the radius around the AI without vision?

Do you use any random characteristics?

3 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Thank you very much!

However, could you explain the principles of Grenade Duck to all users of your mod?

Most importantly, I would like to know the vision of the AI will be taken into account or not? 

Maybe will the code only work relative to the radius around the AI without vision?

Do you use any random characteristics?

The principle is that if now there's a grenade object within 25m of any AI they'll immediately turn away from the grenade, run for a few seconds then dive to the ground before it explodes. The current version of TPW DUCK you are using  actually has AI vision  active, so AI will run from the grenade if they have line of sight to it. However this is part of the reason for the current inability of most AI to react (pretty much anything blocks line of sight, even a single blade of grass, so I've removed it. So as you have guessed, the code now  only works relative to radius, and does not take into account vision, hearing, or any other random factors. But at least it works. Having the AI react to grenades at all is a large boost in authenticity. Pretty much any aspect of Arma3 fails the realism test if you look at it closely enough, so I'm not really keen on writing in totally humanlike responses to grenades.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, badanov said:

I read about past releases, one in which you added a separate Livonia mod.  I can't find it.  Can you post it here.

Right now the sounds they have embedded in Livonia is, IMMHO. responsible for a declination of frame rates.  I want to see how well your patch works, and if the frame rates improve.

linvonia.pbo is in the addons_optional folder. Transfer it to the addons folder and it'll work. Be aware, the mod merely reduces the volume of the overly loud ambient "silence" that makes Linvonia sound like the inside of a waterfall. It doesn't remove any sounds and doesn't do anything to improve the (shithouse) performance of the terrain. YMMV :)

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 1:00 AM, tpw said:

Thanks guys for your support. @domokun I have filed a DMCA takedown (thanks for the link), let's see how that goes. I was a bit conflicted doing so, DMCA has been wielded pretty bluntly by big corporations.

Steam just informed me that they removed the reported item.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tpw said:

The principle is that if now there's a grenade object within 25m of any AI they'll immediately turn away from the grenade, run for a few seconds then dive to the ground before it explodes. The current version of TPW DUCK you are using  actually has AI vision  active, so AI will run from the grenade if they have line of sight to it. However this is part of the reason for the current inability of most AI to react (pretty much anything blocks line of sight, even a single blade of grass, so I've removed it. So as you have guessed, the code now  only works relative to radius, and does not take into account vision, hearing, or any other random factors. But at least it works. Having the AI react to grenades at all is a large boost in authenticity. Pretty much any aspect of Arma3 fails the realism test if you look at it closely enough, so I'm not really keen on writing in totally humanlike responses to grenades.  

Hmmm.... I don’t even know for the better your innovation or not! Yet, when AI vision was taken into account, it would look more natural.

I fear, as if in the new version, every AI-infantryman would run away from a grenade earlier than this grenade would explode! Even if a grenade fell from his back! - this can be not good, because the player’s grenade still must be effective
Maybe you should give a random delay within 0-2 seconds before the AI will run away or lie on the ground?

Or maybe the ai-vision can be used as a trigger in the same way, but only under certain conditions?
Please think about it

I've been hearing good thoughts about how the AI should react to a thrown grenade and this is my $0.02 worth.

A grenade is "usually" and I say that in general terms, thrown during a skirmish. During a skirmish there is usually many other noises with plenty of confusion. When a grenade is thrown, I wouldn't think that all enemy AI would be fully aware or even be able to hear it unless someone yelled, "GRENADE!!!", even then I can picture some AI, as in a real fight,  some who would not know where to turn, confused, temporarily deafened by gun fire.

...so imo, Some AI would bolt, while some would scurry randomly in circles.

• Like 1