tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

With the latest version, I get this error in Zargabad with default settings

if (count tpw_crowd_array < |#|tpw_crowd_ceil) then
{
_many = false;
File TPW_MODS\tpw_crowd.sqf, line 238

Error Undefined variable in expression: tpw_crowd_ceil

(https://imgur.com/a/qfcLPzS)

Here's the code from the script file buts it's beyond me why it could be wrong;-

LINE 32         tpw_crowd_array = []; // array of all crowd civs

LINE38           tpw_crowd_ceil = 1;

// Too many?
LINE 238        if (count tpw_crowd_array < tpw_crowd_ceil) then
                            {
                            _many = false;
                            } else
                            {
                            _many = true;
                            };

EDIT: Actually appears the error goes away when running the saved mission properly outside, rather than just previewed from the EDEN Editor

TPW MODS 20190704: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7w3b1h0l0834un/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

[ANIMALS 1.54] Crows will congregate above areas with dead bodies. 
[CARS 1.68, CIVS 1.65, CORE 1.73, CROWD 1.20] Support for Aengus' Casual Civilian Clothing mod. Support for Arganiny's Civilian Project mod. Support for Weferlingen civilians.

Howdy all. Not a huge changelog, but I have in fact done a lot of under the bonnet work on civilians, to try to get a reasonably diverse spread of civilians from available assets. And of course TPW MODS will automatically supplement the piss poor range of default civilian clothing if you use DADPAT (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1744343347), Arganiny's civilian project (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1788425976), Aengus' Casual Civilian Clothing (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1784363143), and the Global Mobilisation DLC and Contact Expansion. The other thing I spent a little time on was wrangling bis_fnc_crows so that squawking crows will accumulate around dead bodies (animal and human) once there is no nearby combat. They add a bit of post battle ambience and can help you to establish if there are bodies in the area. I bloody hate crows, surprised myself for including them really.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I, on the other hand love crows....so i'm super-stoked that this feature has been included. :rthumb: 

How about the possibility of adding startled crows, like a random chance of the player startling a few crows as he brushes past a bush or tree, or maybe the first crack of gunfire.... 

Spoiler

Another one for you, forgive me i'm on my first strong coffee of the morning, bees or flies spawning in and around garbage piles...

Spoiler

And speaking of civilians, I literally just released a Civilian Expansion to compliment my gear pack, feel free to add support for them if you find the time mate. :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 1

@EO, I thought you might like the crows. I'll have a look into the startled birds thing, no promises though. TPW FIREFLIES already spawns buzzing flies around rubbish and bins. Lastly, I'll have a look at integrating your awesome mod into the system too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice!

well done, so the crows will fly around dead civilians right ? can they eat civilians too??  they will be a huge help to me though  nice feature indeed I like the wild things keep focusing on that way you did a great job I will try that right away :thumbs-up:

FYI, I'm not sure if TPW Skirmish is working correctly in the newest versions??  Ever since TPW Mods version 20190515, I don't see spawning of combat vehicles like the Hunter, Ifrit, or Strider when I play the Pilgrimage (Altis) mission. Granted, I have a long respawn timer (tpw_skirmish_spawntime = 480) to spread out the combat intervals to 8 minutes real-time between spawning, but I used to see lots of friendly and enemy troops and vehicles before version 20190515, and at some point after that version, I don't see many troops or vehicles even over hours and hours of game-play.

Perhaps I added a mod that conflicts with TPW Combat.  I have so many mods it's kind-of crazy.  So I'll keep checking.  But this is just a heads-up to see if anyone else notices the same problem.  When I go back to that older version (20190515), I get lots of vehicles and friendly/enemy troops in combat again.

Again, the re-spawn is set for 8 mins (480 seconds), but over time I do see vehicles and friendly/enemy troops with the older version, but almost nothing with the newer versions of TPW mods.  Anyone else notice a similar problem?  Or is it just me?  Now that I think about it, I should cut the timer down to 30 seconds and test more. (Duh.)  I'll try that and report back in a few days.

-V

Ok, never mind my last question.  I re-started the mission with the newest TPW mods and skirmish re-spawn timer of 30 seconds.  I set the TPW mods enemy soldiers to wear shemags, so I knew the difference between enemy troops spawned by the TPW mods (with shemags) versus the enemy troops spawned by the Pilgrimage mission itself (without shemags).  The first mission re-start had the same problem.  No TPW mods friendly/enemy soldiers or friendly/enemy vehicles spawning in after an hour of gameplay and the (tpw_skirmish_spawntime = 30 secs).  But the second mission re-start worked fine.  Suddenly I had tons of enemy (wearing she-mags), and a LOT of friendly and enemy vehicles everywhere.  So I guess it's back to normal. 

-V

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to deactivate the whole "Infantry Realism"? I did not find anything about it in the readme and could not identify the module in TPW_Mods.hpp.

Thank you for your help. 

39 minutes ago, rainbow47 said:

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to deactivate the whole "Infantry Realism"? I did not find anything about it in the readme and could not identify the module in TPW_Mods.hpp.

Thank you for your help. 

I think the module you are looking for is TPW_SKIRMISH. It should be disabled in the .hpp file as below

// SKIRMISH
tpw_skirmish_active = 0; // 1 = active

Thanks @alky_lee. Skirmish shouldn’t be active in the default install.

Thanks guys. Skirmish is indeed deactivated by default but is does not seem to be the cause of my issue. 

For context, I am playing SP only with a small infantry squad of 5 which I am controlling myself. Since I installed TPW, I realised that my units are walking very slow if the are in Aware or Safe mode. It takes forever to send them to a waypoint. 

The Skirmish module is set to 0, so I guess it is not causing the problem. Any idea how I can set the travel speed of my AI teammates back normal while I am using TPW?

Thanks for your help. 

54 minutes ago, rainbow47 said:

Thanks guys. Skirmish is indeed deactivated by default but is does not seem to be the cause of my issue. 

For context, I am playing SP only with a small infantry squad of 5 which I am controlling myself. Since I installed TPW, I realised that my units are walking very slow if the are in Aware or Safe mode. It takes forever to send them to a waypoint. 

The Skirmish module is set to 0, so I guess it is not causing the problem. Any idea how I can set the travel speed of my AI teammates back normal while I am using TPW?

Thanks for your help. 

Animation speed. Tpw changes the default values to a motr realistic one. It could be that I think.

How can I change it back to the normal values? And what are the normal values?

Thank you

You'll find it in

userconfig folder

TPW_MODS

TPW_MODS.hpp

//animationsActivePlaceholder = 1;
#define run_rifle 0.6 //default 0.685
#define tactical_rifleup 0.7 //default 0.786
#define tactical_jog 1.35 //default 1.55
#define unarmed_walkspeed 0.27 //default 0.35
#define rifledown_walkspeed 0.20 //default 0.3
#define rifleup_walkspeed 0.80 //default 0.85
#define roll_left 0.6 //default 1.1    
#define roll_right 0.7 //default 1.2

If that doesn't work, there's a mod that, among other things, lets you adjust the speed of subordinates

All-In-One AI Command Menu by @Leopard20

• Like 1

Is there a way to stop just the police sirens that occur during firefights in towns, and leave all other ambient sound as is?

46 minutes ago, gaverio said:

You'll find it in

userconfig folder

TPW_MODS

TPW_MODS.hpp

//animationsActivePlaceholder = 1;
#define run_rifle 0.6 //default 0.685
#define tactical_rifleup 0.7 //default 0.786
#define tactical_jog 1.35 //default 1.55
#define unarmed_walkspeed 0.27 //default 0.35
#define rifledown_walkspeed 0.20 //default 0.3
#define rifleup_walkspeed 0.80 //default 0.85
#define roll_left 0.6 //default 1.1    
#define roll_right 0.7 //default 1.2

If that doesn't work, there's a mod that, among other things, lets you adjust the speed of subordinates

All-In-One AI Command Menu by @Leopard20

Thank you gaverio. I will change all the numbers to default values and see what happens. Hopefully that solves the slow movement speed. 

On 7/11/2019 at 4:41 PM, rainbow47 said:

Thank you gaverio. I will change all the numbers to default values and see what happens. Hopefully that solves the slow movement speed. 

So I did the change in the config file and set the value to default but the problem still persist. In AWARE, SAFE and CARELESS mode the squad teammates only walk slow with raised weapons. Even if I call them to regroup they walk slow and never catch up with the player. Only in COMBAT and STEALTH mode they jog fast but the problem is that they cover each other on the way, which means that they also fall behind if they follow the player.

It would be great if someone could help me to solve this. I need to find a way to deactivate the module which is effecting the teammates AI or at least change the value back to ARMA's standard values.

Any idea how?

Cover each other feature will only be seen if they arr in stealth/combat mode in any formation except Diamond and File. Try switching the formation to file and then change their behaviour. Usually that stops them from the covering behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Riksen said:

Cover each other feature will only be seen if they arr in stealth/combat mode in any formation except Diamond and File. Try switching the formation to file and then change their behaviour. Usually that stops them from the covering behaviour.

Thank you Riksen, this works and is at least a temporary solution to keep my squad following me. But I am still looking for a way to deactivate the AI infantry realism module or to set the value for travel speed to default value. If anyone has an idea how please let me know.

Hi @rainbow47

Sorry to hear that you are having issues. So before I can try to help you, let me get a few things straight.

1 - There is no AI infantry realism module in TPW MODS per se. There are several mods that affect AI: TPW FALL makes them fall when hit, TPW DUCK makes them duck when shot at, TPW BLEEDOUT makes them continue to bleed to hit. None of these mods intentionally affects their movement speed or other behaviours related to combat. TPW SKIRMISH is not an AI realism module either, it just spawns ambient squads of BLOFOR and OPFOR who'll move towards each other and start trading insults.  Nothing in TPW SKIRMISH affects the speed of the player's squad.

2 -   There are animation speed changes which you can set back to defaults, or just remove TPW_ANIMSPEED.pbo from your installation. These also do not affect player squadmate behaviour, they just dial back some of the (IMHO) cartoonishly fast animation speeds.

3 - If you don't run TPW MODS at all, do you still see the squadmate behaviours you have reported? In my experience Arma3 AI require extreme degrees of micromanagement to get them to behave appropriately, regardless of mods. 

So I need to know what specific TPW MODS you are actually running (not "AI Infantry Realism module") when you observe your problems. If you just installed TPW MODS and didn't modify the TPW_MODS.hpp, then that should mean FALL, BLEEDOUT and DUCK are active, and SKIRMISH is not. 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:03 AM, banky said:

Is there a way to stop just the police sirens that occur during firefights in towns, and leave all other ambient sound as is?

Only if you run the script version, sorry.

9 hours ago, tpw said:

Hi @rainbow47

Sorry to hear that you are having issues. So before I can try to help you, let me get a few things straight.

1 - There is no AI infantry realism module in TPW MODS per se. There are several mods that affect AI: TPW FALL makes them fall when hit, TPW DUCK makes them duck when shot at, TPW BLEEDOUT makes them continue to bleed to hit. None of these mods intentionally affects their movement speed or other behaviours related to combat. TPW SKIRMISH is not an AI realism module either, it just spawns ambient squads of BLOFOR and OPFOR who'll move towards each other and start trading insults.  Nothing in TPW SKIRMISH affects the speed of the player's squad.

2 -   There are animation speed changes which you can set back to defaults, or just remove TPW_ANIMSPEED.pbo from your installation. These also do not affect player squadmate behaviour, they just dial back some of the (IMHO) cartoonishly fast animation speeds.

3 - If you don't run TPW MODS at all, do you still see the squadmate behaviours you have reported? In my experience Arma3 AI require extreme degrees of micromanagement to get them to behave appropriately, regardless of mods. 

So I need to know what specific TPW MODS you are actually running (not "AI Infantry Realism module") when you observe your problems. If you just installed TPW MODS and didn't modify the TPW_MODS.hpp, then that should mean FALL, BLEEDOUT and DUCK are active, and SKIRMISH is not. 

TPW, thank you for your detailed answers. The only other mod I am using with TPW is a mod called C2 to manage my AI squad. I unloaded TPW for testing and I can confirm that TPW is unfortunately causing the problem. With the mod not being loaded the travel speed of the AI teammates is normal. There must be something in TPW which is sowing the travel speed in AWARE and SAFE state down. 

I will delete the animation file and see if it changes anything. 

@tpw, I've been trying like a boar bear to edit the tpw_animals script to only include the recent crows feature. (crows around dead bodies/animals) Any chance of a custom edit from the great man?

2 hours ago, EO said:

@tpw, I've been trying like a boar bear to edit the tpw_animals script to only include the recent crows feature. (crows around dead bodies/animals) Any chance of a custom edit from the great man?

No chance of a custom edit from the great man, but 100% chance of an edit from me. Give me a couple of hours.

PS I’ve incorporated the boars into tpw animals too, to great effect. I’ve added some custom grunt noises too. Speaking of grunts, I wrote a little patch to drop the deafening default grunt noises. Let me know if you’d like to use either in your mod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@EO I've had a go at making a simplified version for you, which runs independent of other TPW MODS. Crows will gather around dead bodies during the day, and will make various crow noises if you have tpw_sounds.pbo. Because I've unhitched it from TPW CORE, they won't disperse when there's nearby battle. 

Spoiler

// VARIABLES
tpw_crowonly_active = true; // global activate/deactivate
tpw_crowonly_sunrise = ([] call BIS_fnc_sunriseSunsetTime) select 0;
tpw_crowonly_sunset = ([] call BIS_fnc_sunriseSunsetTime) select 1;

// CROWS
tpw_crowonly_fnc_crows = 
	{
	private ["_closedead","_fardead","_crow","_crowflag"];
	tpw_crowonly_crows = [];
	while {true} do
		{
		if (daytime > tpw_crowonly_sunrise && {daytime < tpw_crowonly_sunset}) then 
			{
			_crowflag = true;
			} else
			{
			_crowflag = false;
			};		

if (tpw_crowonly_active && _crowflag) then
			{
			_closedead = alldead select {_x distance player <200};
			_fardead = alldead select {_x distance player >200};

// Add crows to nearby bodies 
				{
				if (_x getvariable ["tpw_crows",-1] == -1) then
					{
					_crows = [getposasl _x,25,ceil random 3,10] call bis_fnc_crows;
					tpw_crowonly_crows = tpw_crowonly_crows + _crows;	
					_x setvariable ["tpw_crows",1];	
					sleep random 10;
					};
				} foreach _closedead;

// Remove crow spawning flag from distant bodies
				{
				_x setvariable ["tpw_crows",-1];			
				} foreach _fardead;	
			};	

// Crow wrangling	
		for "_i" from 0 to (count tpw_crowonly_crows - 1) do 
			{
			_crow = tpw_crowonly_crows select _i;
			// Delete distant crows
			if (!(_crowflag) || _crow distance player > 200) then 
				{
				deletevehicle _crow;
				tpw_crowonly_crows set[_i,-1];
				};
			};
		tpw_crowonly_crows = tpw_crowonly_crows - [-1];	

// Reset bodies to not spawn crows
		if (!_crowflag) then
			{
				{
				_x setvariable ["tpw_crows",-1];	
				} foreach alldead;
			};
		sleep random 30;
		};
	};	

tpw_crowonly_fnc_crowcall =
	{
	private ["_crow","_caw","_nearcrows","_flap"];
	sleep 5;
	while {true} do
		{
		if (tpw_crowonly_active && {daytime > tpw_crowonly_sunrise} && {daytime < tpw_crowonly_sunset}) then
			{
			_nearcrows = tpw_crowonly_crows select {_x distance player < 200};
			if (count _nearcrows > 1) then
				{
				_crow = _nearcrows select floor random count _nearcrows;
				_caw = format ["TPW_SOUNDS\sounds\animal\crow%1.ogg",(ceil random 6)];	
				playsound3d [_caw,_crow,false,_crow,2,0.8 + random 0.2,200];
				_crow = _nearcrows select floor random count _nearcrows;
				_flap = format ["TPW_SOUNDS\sounds\animal\flap%1.ogg",(ceil random 5)];	
				playsound3d [_flap,_crow,false,_crow,1,0.8 + random 0.2,200];	
				};
			};