tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

@ Tpw... no worries on updating Skirmish. I was probably exploiting a bug in the previous builds when I did not load a listed mod and it just skipped to the next listed mod.

Don't waste bandwidth on this due to my laziness as I didn't want to edit twp_config.hpp each time I was testing mods. I just dumped a bunch of mods in there and added/dropped via the Arma 3 Launcher when I felt like it.

Regarding the zombies, I mean twp_zombies was spawning ravage zombies in the pre-tank supported builds so long as I had loaded that mod. I don't mean for skirmish to load it. You should keep the zomb blacklist in skirmish as is.

You can update twp_zombies to have any kind of zombs... Previous builds were successfully testing with Max Zombies, Ravage, Zombies and Demons and SMZombs... yes each one had different zombies which was nice for the variety but it does not work like that anymore.

using TPW in the CUP desert map cause CTD (crash)

TPW, Thank you.  The new "Sanity" module is fantastic.  The AI civilians used to constantly commit suicide by jumping in front of my vehicle as I was driving through towns.  Now, I almost NEVER hit them.  It's amazing.  I love it.

Possible Bug:  I tried MAX joiner's WOMEN.  But when I add the women mod, for some reason I no longer see any evidence of TPW skirmish working.  It says it's active, but I no longer see any A-10 Warthog gun/bomb runs, I no longer see the Comanche helicopter provide CHS (Combat Helo Support) for NATO forces, and I no longer see various factions fighting with each other.  I also don't see evidence of TPW Air working (the helicopter fly-overs).  But if I disable the MAX joiner women mod, all those items come back.  Other TPW mod elements still work fine.  Animals, Civilians, Park, Cars, Fire-flys, Trash can fires, etc., etc.  When I have Max Joiner's women mod enabled, the only combat I see are the soldiers that are spawned in by the Pilgrimage mission.  I know this because I set TPW Skirmish enemies to wear shemags.  And there are no enemies wearing shemags anywhere when Max Joiner's women is enabled.

FYI some background info on my game play style: I always use the "Pilgrimage" mission as an open world combat adventure.  TPW skirmish adds a LOT of combat to the Pilgrimage world.  But I always tweak various config file factors in TPW Skirmish to fit single player mode.  Four examples of tweaks that I do for play balance in single player:

1) I significantly up the amount of time between spawning in new AI in skirmish, so I'm not overwhelmed by enemy forces.

2) I use the "in-cognito" mod to hide out as a civilian, to avoid combat when I'm not well armed and/or prepared for combat.

3) I increase the number of enemy AI in faction(s) that don't wear (much) armor, and decrease the number of enemy AI in faction(s) that DO wear armor.

4) I increase the friendly NATO vehicles and AI, and decrease the enemy AI and/or enemy vehicles, to give the friendly forces an edge in combat.

I try to make it through the mission without dying even once, which is very difficult, mostly because I want to engage in combat.  So I have to pick my battles very carefully, and spend most of my time hiding out and collecting weapons for when I will engage in firefights.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, mickeymen said:

Lets, each bullet will be palpable for player!

Why though?  That's not really how shooting a real gun even works.  Whether you're shooting in front of yourself into the ground or you're shooting out at distance, neither causes anymore stress than the other.  It just seems like a weird thing to want to have.

22 hours ago, gatordev said:

Why though?  That's not really how shooting a real gun even works.  Whether you're shooting in front of yourself into the ground or you're shooting out at distance, neither causes anymore stress than the other.  It just seems like a weird thing to want to have.

Hey. Probably you did not understand me clearly. Any bullet should give stress, but I mean a close hits (I do not know what distance TPW uses). 

Imagine that in real life a bullet hit in the ground (asphalt), in front of you within a 60-30 centimeters!  And no matter who will shoot, you or the opponent. Are you saying that this will not affect you?  If you say that it will not cause you stress, I will not believe you.

I think stress (in our case - blur) should be at any bullet (own or enemy), but it should be minimal. With each subsequent bullet stress must increase and this is normal. You can not ignore one bullet that any hit near the player. 

I would prefer that each bullet would give a blur for the player + visual effects (splash, particles, etc.)  but the blur effect should be only on close hitting a bullet or flying overhead. Probably within 1 meter, not more. 

The correct distance can only be configured by the author of the mod.

@PTW please tell at what distance your bullets have an effect on the player (blur)?

2 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Are you saying that this will not affect you?  If you say that it will not cause you stress, I will not believe you.

My question would be why the heck am I shooting 30-60cm in front of me?  If I'm doing it intentionally, no, I'd argue the bullets aren't what would be causing me stress.  Not sure you understand that you don't hear the bullet when you're behind the rifle that you're shooting.  And once the bullet impacts something hard (ground, object, etc), it loses its "snap," which causes the awareness of the bullet and the "stress."

TPW will no doubt do what he wants to do with the mod, and we can all have our wish-list, but when making requests,  it still has to be based on some sort of reality for a mod like this, assuming TPW continues to follow the direction for his mod that he has historically.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 3:20 AM, gatordev said:

My question would be why the heck am I shooting 30-60cm in front of me? 

Because you can get Hit in front of you by chance!  What namelly can not you understand? The player can even just go up to the wall and shoot at it, in order to check the impact of hitting next to him!

In the combat situation there may be many moments contributing to this, but here's the easiest:

You shot at the enemy in the position of Crouch, being behind a stone, because you do not want the bullets of the enemy to hit you. At shooting you press a button - prone, to lie on the ground, to hide from return fire. When you go down to Prone you can hit from your weapon into your shelter (stone which is in front of you. 30-60cm)

On 6/3/2019 at 3:20 AM, gatordev said:

Not sure you understand that you don't hear the bullet when you're behind the rifle that you're shooting. 

What are you talking about? You want to say that SUPRESSION is based ONLY on hearing? 

What do I have to hear the shot or not?

In general, I do not like the word "stress" - you came up with it. Above we with autor were talking about suppression not about stress.

Supression is not based ONLY on the sound of a shot. Supression is based on bullet kinetic energy and only after this on the hit-sound impact. 

If you get a bullet near you, dozen of hit-surface pieces can get in your eyes or at least overshadow your eyesight. And no matter will you hear anything or not at this moment. Also no matter who will shoot - you are from your carbine or your opponent.  It will not matter whether the rifle is in front or behind. Always and always the bullet hit-energy will create its impact for the person who will be near

I can agree that a bullet directed at a player (enemy bullets) should have a greater impact than the bullet whose kinetic energy is directed from the player (self bullets). But both bullets must have an impact on the player if it hit near.

It seems to me you're asking a lot of TPW, not that he hasn't done amazing work.  So how do you propose for TPW to determine whether the shot fired (remember, it's a game) was meant to hit a person 60cm in front of you or a wall accidentally?  One would suppress, the other wouldn't.  There was another mod that, at one point, accidentally made it so every shot fired by the player suppressed the player.  It was miserable.

In general, I do not like the word "stress" - you came up with it. Above we with autor were talking about suppression not about stress.

Suppression, talking real life here, is the act of keeping someone's head (and body) down due to volume or frequency of fire.  They are "suppressed" because they don't want to be killed or shot.  That desire to not be killed or shot causes "stress."  So when I say someone is suppressed, someone is that way because of stress.

Why does this matter?  Because I can stand down-range of someone firing a rifle and the snap of the bullet is not suppressing me because I know they're not shooting at me.  However, the snap is still REALLY annoying, so it induces a small amount of stress.  If someone was actually shooting at me, then the snap (or ricochet, since you brought it up) would both stress me and therefore suppress me.  Hopefully that makes more sense on why I have used the two terms together.

Supression is based on bullet kinetic energy and only after this on the hit-sound impact.

The sound impact is the result of the bullet kinetic energy.  That's physics.  Another result of the energy will be the pressure pop of the round flying through the air.

Bottom line, I understand your point, but I come at this from the perspective that it's also a game.  There's some game mechanics that aren't quite right, so if we applied all of the things that might happen in real life, the game becomes less fun.

HOWEVER...TPW is an expert at letting us choose what options we want to use, so at the end of the day, if he follows your suggestion, he will probably also let us choose to use it or not.  And that's a huge part of why this mod is so valuable.

Bullets have to pass within about 5m of the player to suppress him. Doesn't matter if they hit the ground or not. I don't know how to hook into the bullet hitting nearby surfaces, and to be honest I'm probably not about to look for it, because if the bullet passed within 5m of the player to his that surface, then the player will already be suppressed.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tpw said:

Bullets have to pass within about 5m of the player to suppress him. Doesn't matter if they hit the ground or not. I don't know how to hook into the bullet hitting nearby surfaces, and to be honest I'm probably not about to look for it, because if the bullet passed within 5m of the player to his that surface, then the player will already be suppressed.  

It is a pity that you can not divide the suppression on the hit / passing bullet. Seems to me that in real life a near bullet-hitting will have a greater supression impact, than bullet passing by the person (especially at a distance of 5 meters) However, I have no sense or desire to challenge my opinion. The only thing I wish - is that you reduce the distance of your suppression.  I think that 5 meters is too great a distance for a bullet to impact a player. If this is possible then give the player this setting. Let him be able to determine the distance at which he will be suppressed.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:35 AM, gatordev said:

It seems to me you're asking a lot of TPW, not that he hasn't done amazing work.  So how do you propose for TPW to determine whether the shot fired (remember, it's a game) was meant to hit a person 60cm in front of you or a wall accidentally?  One would suppress, the other wouldn't.  There was another mod that, at one point, accidentally made it so every shot fired by the player suppressed the player.  It was miserable.

Sorry buddy, I do not understand completely what you are saying. Probably language barrier.

Most likely the problem of our dispute - is that for you the suppression is when the bullets pass by the player, but in my view the true suppression - is when the bullets hit next to the soldier.  In fact, we are talking about different things. As I have already said above, it is the hit that can give a person a complete sense of the bullet kinetic energy,  but not a bullet flying past a person.  If so, then my conclusion is simple - any bullet must suppress the player. Own or someone else's. I refuse to understand the mods in which the bullets of enemies have an impact on the player and their own bullets have no influence. Everything is very simple. 

---

PS: If I once find an old version of VeteranMod, I will definitely make the video and show how it worked.

I do not know what happened to them and why it does not work in last version of this mod. Maybe they will fix it, in future versions.

This worked for all the every bullet (own / enemy) and when player gets hits near objects (!not only pass by). 

It was the best suppression I've ever seen in Arma3.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:35 AM, gatordev said:

Suppression, talking real life here, is the act of keeping someone's head (and body) down due to volume or frequency of fire.  They are "suppressed" because they don't want to be killed or shot.  That desire to not be killed or shot causes "stress."  So when I say someone is suppressed, someone is that way because of stress.

I think sound is of secondary importance when suppressing. For a better understanding of my thoughts, I made the following pictures

See what do you think would give a greater impact to the suppression of the soldier?

First supression:

26799184_m.jpg

Second supression:

26799191_m.jpg

I am sure that the second option would have a significantly greater effect of suppression, or more stress if you please.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The kinetic energy of the bullet will be more tangible when bulet hit near the player. If so, then the player must also be able to impact himself. In this case, then the player should also be able to feel the energy of his own bullet or, if you like, I’ll call it - supress yourself:

26799317_m.jpg

• Thanks 1

Your example number 3 should not create "suppression", it'll piss off your brothers who are near by and maybe get you a solid slap to the back of your dome but no, not suppressed, maybe he could write that in hahaha!!

Yeah, I dunno dude, #1... being out of cover and hearing the snaps and cracks is pretty fucking spooky.  Regarding #1 and #2, I'm not sure TPW could write up a script that replicates that fray in time where the 3 square feet right around your boots is all you have. 

Hear the crack, COVER - Identify - COVER, respond.  If they have overwhelming fire on your position... now we play the suppression game.

Good discussion IMO.  If I had to pick, I'd say the first two create different types of stress and I like them both #1 = "Oh shit HALP" Your weapons sway and breathing skyrockets.  #2 "Pinned, Got to shoot and move"  Your a little hazed from the volume of fire and slower but not out of breathe slow...just -scared- slow.  #3... nah.

EDIT: A+ for the pics to show us your points, nice work.

• Like 2

I understand your point @mickeymen, but I'm with @Zakuaz on this one. I'm sure both situations would be pretty unpleasant to be in, although I wouldn't say either one is worse. Both cause the suppression inducing "stress" in different ways. In my understanding the way the script handles the suppression covers both instances already. If I am not mistaken the enemy's bullet just has to hit an invisible box within 5m around the player. So if the bullets hit an object within this box the trigger should work as well, doesn't it?

Regarding your last example I have to disagree. Shooting an obstacle right in front of you may be stupid, annoying and actually dangerous (shrapnel, ricochets) - but it wouldn't suppress you the same as being shot at by the enemy. Even less so if you're shooting at the ground in front of you. The same goes for the shots of your teammates. Yes, you wouldn't be able to distinguish by the bullet snaps alone if the fire comes from your side or the enemy's, but you would know that your mates are shooting. (Although the effect would be the same: you wouldn't want to raise your head too much either way.)

30 minutes ago, Zakuaz said:

Your example number 3 should not create "suppression"

This is a matter of terminology.

Call it "not suppression" but otherwise! If you say that your own bullet does not have kinetic energy, then I will not even talk to you. :icon_cool:

Let's call this impact not suppression. And this IMPACT should be, in a game in which there is already some impact of enemy bullets. Any bullet must have kinetic energy. I’m 100 percent sure if you shot from a carbine and hit an obstacle that is put in front of you at a distance of 30-60 cm, then you would feel what i'm talking about

33 minutes ago, Zakuaz said:

Good discussion IMO.  If I had to pick, I'd say the first two create different types of stress and I like them both #1 = "Oh shit HALP" Your weapons sway and breathing skyrockets.  #2 "Pinned, Got to shoot and move"  Your a little hazed from the volume of fire and slower but not out of breathe slow...just -scared- slow.  #3... nah.

yes Good discussion! In disputes, truth is born

Maybe different types of stress, but I think you still can not rule out the # 3 option

17 minutes ago, Arfour said:

I understand your point @mickeymen, but I'm with @Zakuaz on this one. I'm sure both situations would be pretty unpleasant to be in, although I wouldn't say either one is worse. 

You're so vain. Just think logically. You must understand that # 2 is ALWAYS worse than # 1 for any person, which under fire! 

In the # 1 of the viewer the sound of sound of sound cracks, and the # 2 still additionally as bullets slam into stones, many  ricochet. It's like an axiom.

22 minutes ago, Arfour said:

Regarding your last example I have to disagree.

What do you disagree with? That a player’s weapon is also powerful as an enemy’s weapon? Or that the player’s bullets also have kinetic energy? One hit in front of you for a while will not let you see anything ahead of your carbine, but in the Arma3 we continue to see beautifully

28 minutes ago, Arfour said:

Shooting an obstacle right in front of you may be stupid

Stupid things happen in war. Any war is Stupid thing. During the battle can be anything

30 minutes ago, Arfour said:

but it wouldn't suppress you the same as being shot at by the enemy

Yes, maybe It will not supress as enemy bullets, but it will also not let you see what is happening ahead of you!

Or do you dispute this fact? Maybe you'll be fine to see what's behind your hit? LOL! 

For this purpose, need to blur!  Call it impact not suppression, this is Impact of self weapon.

Today Blur is the only possible simulation of this moment

34 minutes ago, Arfour said:

The same goes for the shots of your teammates. Yes, you wouldn't be able to distinguish by the bullet snaps alone if the fire comes from your side or the enemy's, but you would know that your mates are shooting. (Although the effect would be the same: you wouldn't want to raise your head too much either way.)

Your teammates will have nothing to do with this issue, since none of them will not shoot and hit in front of your carbineI'm talking about close bullet-hits in front of the rifleman.

I think if there is a suppression in the game (or in the mod), then it should take into account all 3 points. IT IS NECESSARY!
Each weapon its own or others should have an impact on the player, but I agree that it can be different.

Of course everyone can disagree, that's his right, but I  think - If the mod maker cannot divide visual effects between own hit /enemy hit or cannot split the supression between pass by/near hit, then let each bullet impact be the same and be as a blur.  It will be better than nothing

On 6/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, tpw said:

..... I don't know how to hook into the bullet hitting nearby surfaces, and to be honest I'm probably not about to look for it.....

I think TPW already gave his answer

• Thanks 1

@mickeymen you can believe what you want.  I get the impression you've never been down range of an incoming bullet.  I've been very lucky to only experience that with people who weren't trying to kill me, but the snap of the bullet was still VERY distracting.  If anything, impact of a surface is more reassuring because you know it's not coming at you, but obviously will still suppress you.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:27 AM, RabidStoat said:

I think TPW already gave his answer

At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

How hard would it be to make repair trucks behave the same way as gas stations.  I so sick of repairing tanks in less than 60 seconds when I know something as simple as a thrown track can take at least 30 mins?

21 hours ago, gatordev said:

@mickeymen you can believe what you want.  I get the impression you've never been down range of an incoming bullet.  I've been very lucky to only experience that with people who weren't trying to kill me, but the snap of the bullet was still VERY distracting. 

I look you are a real hero. LOL!

24 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

I look you are a real hero. LOL!

I actually said the exact opposite.

Hey @tpw here was a lot of chatter about self-suppression or self impact.

I found a video that I made when the suppression itself worked in VeteranMod! I found it by chance, it turns out I saved it before.

When I asked you about it, I wanted you to do it like this:

As you can see that this is possible and the suppression works on self and enemy HITs but not only the enemy PASS BY.  If in the future you do this in TPW-mod then it will be very good! If you do not want to do this, I will treat it with understanding...

Users help me understand why I can not on the this forum mention the user,  so that he saw it?

I use "@" in front of the username,

example:

Hey @tpw

but I’m unable to create his name, so that he is notified that I mention his name (as blue icon)

• Like 1

TPW MODS 20190623: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7w3b1h0l0834un/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

• [ANIMALS 1.53] Frog support for Livonia.
  • [CORE 1.72] Prescanning available building types - massively reduced house scanning overhead. Added support for additional Livonian civilian clothing.
  • [FIREFLIES 1.10] Buzzing flies will spawn around Livonian manure piles.
  • [FURNITURE 1.06] Preliminary furniture support for Livonia.
  • [LIVONIA] *OPTIONAL NEW MOD* Patches out the overly loud ambient "silence" on Livonia. 

Hi peeps. Just been adding various suppor to Livonia, so this will really only affect those of you who've bought into the early access. I'm in two minds about the whole Contact Expansion, regardless of its pre release status. Besides the fundamental issue of BI continuing to pump out expensive DLC for a problem ridden platform that they no longer have the ability, resources or will (apparently) to fix, Livonia itself is pretty interesting. As far as a naturalistic environment it's absolutely superb, the landscape, vegetation and much of the environmental audio is right up there with the best that BI can produce.  The human side is again let down by BI's insistence on every single 2035 dwelling being a delapidated shithole straight out of the Soviet 80s, with terrible performance thrown in for good measure. Anyway, whinging aside, I've sprinkled in some furniture (not too much though, the performance is bad enough as is) to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the official content, added a few sundry environmental things, and as a bonus patched out the incredibly annoying ambient "silence" (the audio on this map needs a good look into, hopefully this patch will be redundant in the future).  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

every single 2035 dwelling being a dilapidated shithole straight out of the Soviet 80s

I've been following the war in eastern Ukraine since 2014, and many areas look like that, some even far from the front

I've sprinkled in some furniture (not too much though

Werferlingen?

50 minutes ago, badanov said:

Werferlingen?

That’s a really big job, don’t hold your breath!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tpw said:

That’s a really big job, don’t hold your breath!

Was just wondering.  Always happy with the work you have put in.

Hope you notice that room clearing in Weferlingen is a nightmare even without furniture.

I am receiving an error where only empty vehicles spawn. No civilians, furniture, etc. spawn. I am running the newest versions of both the mod and CBA and have made no changes to either. I am also running no other mods.

Here is the error message seen when i start up the game:

https://imgur.com/a/M1JWCH2