tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

The problem with Steam is that the workshop makes it easy to download and use mods without really understanding how it all works. The power of TPW Mods lies in the config.hpp file and being able to customise it to suit the mission. The regular readers of this forum will understand how to do that. On Steam, many users won't understand or will fail to modify the file and will quickly complain or become abusive. The Steam forums seem to be highly toxic and could use some diluting but we don't want one of our favourite content creators to get poisoned by it. Better off with the forum and we'll just point people in its direction and try and educate them as to where to put the hpp file.

• Like 5

I guess if i was in your shoes i would not be able to simply leave the mod on the workshop unattended. And that means two places and groups to attend to. Thx for the answer.

Just a quick "THANK YOU" note for TPW mods.  I do a TON of single player gaming and your mods TRULY bring the world to LIFE.  Civilians walking around. Furniture in houses.  Crowds in the street.  Animals everywhere.  Puddles after a hard rain.  Extra sounds.  Various enemy factions fighting each other.  A-10 warthogs dive bombing enemy targets.  Helicopters wreaking havoc on enemy positions.  And that barely scratches the surface of all the amazing extras you put into TPW mods.  Thank you so much.  I constantly try different options in the config file.  I really enjoy single player in ARMA 3 so much MORE because of you.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Like 8

Like the above post, I find myself coming back here every few months simply to say thanks as well :) 

You really know how to push the boundaries and give us stuff we didnt even know we wanted.

One issue I have with the base game-and I thought you might by the man to stop it TPW, is with AI spawning with randomized facewear. Do you know of any way to make that not happen? Especially when running mods, you can have Taliban spawning with Oakley shades, or Seals spawning with ISIS headbands on...not great for immersion :D

One issue I have with the base game-and I thought you might by the man to stop it TPW, is with AI spawning with randomized facewear. Do you know of any way to make that not happen? Especially when running mods, you can have Taliban spawning with Oakley shades, or Seals spawning with ISIS headbands on...not great for immersion :D

And to push this idea to the max,.....this is exactly what I had been wondering. I'll explain.

I'm trying to port Pilgrimage to be played in Cambodia (Prei) and it is so out of place to be playing a mission that is supposed to be in the '60's and then see default Arma objects appear. I do get plenty of the proper stuff but I'd say about 30% is default. If a separate mod needs to run, restricting all BI default stuff from spawning and if there is a lot of tedious leg work to do, I don't mind. I just have no idea how to script. I really hope someone tries this and if so I'll be glad to help.

Thanks ineptaphid for letting me ride along on your post.

Hey everyone, thanks very much for the support and understanding, it really means a lot me. I knew there was a reason I kept on coding! 

I'll get back to you on the facewear issue

7 hours ago, ineptaphid said:

Like the above post, I find myself coming back here every few months simply to say thanks as well :) 

You really know how to push the boundaries and give us stuff we didnt even know we wanted.

That jogged my memory of something that happened the other day using the Iron Front Lite addon. A US infantryman jeep driver spawned with a gas mask on and for this particular preset I don't have TPW activated so maybe something else can also cause this problem.

Just stopped by to say thanks! I have used this before, but that was years ago when I had no clue where to start with scripts. Heh, I still don't but I'm slowly learning. This works so well on its own, but with mods like Ravage it really helps the survival setting come alive with animals spawning and being able to hunt sheep and chickens in the woods and fields.

Just a quick question if it's alright; I'm using the original mod on a mission I made with Ravage, no individual scripts added to the mission file, just TPW itself. I have most ambient sounds inside houses (talking, music etc,) bleed-out and fall disabled but I'd like to disable the chainsaw sounds if that's possible without editing individual scripts files you provided, just the main one that comes with the installation and I'm wondering if that's possible to do? It's mainly because editing the scripts seems so daunting and I don't really know where to start.

Thanks again for the work you've put into this! I was a bit disappointed Bohemia hadn't added an Ambient Combat Module like in Arma 2, but you've made this really well and the main TPW.hpp is easy to edit, so thanks for that!

13 hours ago, ContheJon said:

Just stopped by to say thanks! I have used this before, but that was years ago when I had no clue where to start with scripts. Heh, I still don't but I'm slowly learning. This works so well on its own, but with mods like Ravage it really helps the survival setting come alive with animals spawning and being able to hunt sheep and chickens in the woods and fields.

Just a quick question if it's alright; I'm using the original mod on a mission I made with Ravage, no individual scripts added to the mission file, just TPW itself. I have most ambient sounds inside houses (talking, music etc,) bleed-out and fall disabled but I'd like to disable the chainsaw sounds if that's possible without editing individual scripts files you provided, just the main one that comes with the installation and I'm wondering if that's possible to do? It's mainly because editing the scripts seems so daunting and I don't really know where to start.

Thanks again for the work you've put into this! I was a bit disappointed Bohemia hadn't added an Ambient Combat Module like in Arma 2, but you've made this really well and the main TPW.hpp is easy to edit, so thanks for that!

Hi ContheJon, thanks for the kind words.

Here is the main TPW_MODS.pbo, modified to be chainsaw free, just replace the one in your TPW MODS installation with this and you'll be golden. Please let me know when you've done so and I'll remove the link.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tpw said:

Hi ContheJon, thanks for the kind words.

Here is the main TPW_MODS.pbo, modified to be chainsaw free, just replace the one in your TPW MODS installation with this and you'll be golden. Please let me know when you've done so and I'll remove the link.

Oh my goodness, thanks a lot TPW, you're wonderful! I've got the download, thanks a ton.

I swear this community is brilliant, I've never had a negative comment or anything.

• Like 2

How do I initialize TPW script version when loading a saved game?

I did a simple mission, put down a few units, made sure they had the right glasses on, put the initialization codes in the init.sqf file for tpw_core and tpw_hud and ran the mission.

It works perfectly as expected.

I then saved the game and loaded the saved game.

Now the hud is not working.

It seems the init.sqf are not being called when loading a saved scenario.

Any other place it is better to initialize your script version of the mod?

Is there anyone on this thread that uses TPW's scrimmage feature?I've never been inclined to do so till now but apparently (to me) it's a bit more complicated than the rest of the code.I'm trying to use the custom factions for BluFor/Opfor yet either the game crashes or they don't spawn(Vanilla units spawn instead).For CUP I enter "CUP_Creatures_Military_USMC" but the game crashes with this error:File userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp, line 276: '/TPW_ANIMSPEED_Key_Setting.tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehiclestring': Missing ';' at the end of line; with RHS I enter  rhs_faction_usmc_wd & no error but NATO spawns instead?Tried enterting individual unit classes but have the same effect.BTW..this is using the mod,not the script.TIA!

On 26/09/2017 at 4:14 AM, stlassen said:

How do I initialize TPW script version when loading a saved game?

I did a simple mission, put down a few units, made sure they had the right glasses on, put the initialization codes in the init.sqf file for tpw_core and tpw_hud and ran the mission.

It works perfectly as expected.

I then saved the game and loaded the saved game.

Now the hud is not working.

It seems the init.sqf are not being called when loading a saved scenario.

Any other place it is better to initialize your script version of the mod?

Hmm, I’ll have to look into this one for you. The add on version has code in the init to ensure that save games work, I’ll see if I can recreate the functionality in the script versions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miasdad said:

Is there anyone on this thread that uses TPW's scrimmage feature?I've never been inclined to do so till now but apparently (to me) it's a bit more complicated than the rest of the code.I'm trying to use the custom factions for BluFor/Opfor yet either the game crashes or they don't spawn(Vanilla units spawn instead).For CUP I enter "CUP_Creatures_Military_USMC" but the game crashes with this error:File userconfig\TPW_MODS\TPW_MODS.hpp, line 276: '/TPW_ANIMSPEED_Key_Setting.tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehiclestring': Missing ';' at the end of line; with RHS I enter  rhs_faction_usmc_wd & no error but NATO spawns instead?Tried enterting individual unit classes but have the same effect.BTW..this is using the mod,not the script.TIA!

I use skirmish all the time :)

Sounds to me that the way you’re entering stuff is resulting in a malformed hpp. Can you please pm it to me and I’ll have a look.

39 minutes ago, tpw said:

I use skirmish all the time :)

Sounds to me that the way you’re entering stuff is resulting in a malformed hpp. Can you please pm it to me and I’ll have a look.

Lol..just saw what I did there..meant skirmish although scrimmage is good as well. Anyway its on its way

17 hours ago, tpw said:

Hmm, I’ll have to look into this one for you. The add on version has code in the init to ensure that save games work, I’ll see if I can recreate the functionality in the script versions.

I actually found a solution that works. It's a general solution that works with all scripts.

I don't know if there is an other, maybe better, solution, but it would be interesting to find out.

If you think this solution is worth adding to your code, then by all means... It might make it easier for other people to make the scripts work in missions where save/load is used. :)

Anyways, this solution, I found after a lot of searching and finally finding some old topics on this and other forums.

It was originally found in an old Arma 2 BIS EW campaign.

An altered version of the solution that works, is this:

Put this in the Description.ext file:

class RscTitles
{
   class saveload
   {
       name = "Save/Load";
       duration = 10e10;
       fadein = 0;
       idd = -1;
       movingEnable = false;
       onload = "uiNamespace setVariable ['str_saveload',_this select 0];";
       class controls    {};
   };
};

Then add this to the init.sqf file:

[] spawn {
	while {true} do
	{
		880224 cutRsc ["saveload","plain"];
		waitUntil {isNull (uiNamespace getVariable "str_saveload")};

// Put code here that needs to get initialized when loading a saved mission:
		// e.g. : 0 = [] execvm "tpw_core.sqf";
		// etc...
	};
};

// Call initialization code here too:
// e.g. : 0 = [] execvm "tpw_core.sqf";

The above works.

----------------------

My personal solution, though, is this:

I still have the resource class added to the Description.ext file as shown above.

I then have this function file:

/*
File: saveload.sqf
Author: Karel Moricky

Description:
Save/Load Manager v3.0

Parameter(s):
_this: code executed after load
*/

while {true} do {
	880224 cutRsc ["saveload","plain"];

//--- Resource is null - game loaded
	waitUntil {isNull (uiNamespace getVariable "str_saveload")};

//--- Mission specific code
	[] spawn _this;
};

I also have a function file for initializing TPW stuff:

// fn_TPWinit.sqf
// Initialize TPW Core and HUD

0 = [] execvm "scripts\tpw\tpw_core.sqf";

0 = [
	[1,500], // Min/max range of goggles
	[1,1,1], // HUD colour
	[0,1,1], // Friendly colour
	[1,0.5,0], // Enemy units colour
	[1,1,1], // Civ colour
	[0,1,0], // Squad and marker colour
	0.6, // Initial HUD brightness
	[1,0.4,0.4,1], // ASL where 1 = active ( 0 = inactive), 0.4 = X position, 0.4 = Y position, 1 = text size
	[1,0.5,0.4,1], // AZT 
	[1,0.6,0.4,1], // GRD 
	[1,0.4,0.5,1], // LMT 
	[1,0.6,0.5,1], // TMP 
	[1,0.4,0.6,1], // HLT 
	[1,0.5,0.6,1], // RNG 
	[1,0.6,0.6,1], // VEL 
	[1,0.5,0.5,1], // PRX 
	[1,1,0.25,0.5], // UNITS where 1 = active ( 0 = inactive), 1 = icon max size, 0.25 = icon min size, 0.5 = text size ( 1 = same size as HUD text)
	[0.03,0], //HUD offset [x,y] -1 to 1 
	1, // HUD scale. > 1 = larger
	1, // Text scale. > 1 = larger
	1, // HUD distance degradation. 0 = no degradation
	1, // No HUD in 3rd person. 1 = HUD in 3rd person
	1, // Add TAC glasses to player's uniform if not present. 0 = don't add
	[24,23,30,29,24,23,30,29,22,20], // ICONS [unit,hidden unit,vehicle,hidden vehicle,enemy unit,hidden enemy unit,enemy vehicle,hidden enemy vehicle,marker,predictor]
	1.5, // Detection range multiplication factor for vehicles (1.5 = 750m max detection range for vehicles vs 500m for units)  
	1, // Audible warning when enemies detected 
	[], //classnames of any 3rd party goggles you want HUD to work with
	[] // classnames of any 3rd party headgear you want HUD to work with
] execvm "scripts\tpw\tpw_hud.sqf";

I also have this in my Description.ext file:

class CfgFunctions
{
	class STLA
	{
		class init
		{
			class TPWinit {};
			class saveload {};
		};
	};
};

Finally in the init.sqf file I have this:

//--- Save/Load manager
{
	call STLA_fnc_TPWinit;
} spawn STLA_fnc_saveload;

call STLA_fnc_TPWinit;

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tpw said:

And of course there is an easier way to do it. :D

It was pointed out to me in an other topic, that I should use an event handler with the "Loaded" event.

So I ended up solving it this way:

// Description.ext

class CfgFunctions
{
	class STLA
	{
		class init
		{
			class TPWinit {};
			class myInit { preInit = 1; };
		};
	};
};
// fn_myInit.sqf

call STLA_fnc_TPWinit;
saveLoad = addMissionEventHandler ["Loaded",{call STLA_fnc_TPWinit}];
// fn_TPWinit.sqf

// etc...

This seems so much better.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2017 at 1:49 PM, miasdad said:

Lol..just saw what I did there..meant skirmish although scrimmage is good as well. Anyway its on its way

PM sent, we’ll have you scrimmaging in no time!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stlassen said:

And of course there is an easier way to do it. :D

It was pointed out to me in an other topic, that I should use an event handler with the "Loaded" event.

So I ended up solving it this way:

// Description.ext

class CfgFunctions
{
	class STLA
	{
		class init
		{
			class TPWinit {};
			class myInit { preInit = 1; };
		};
	};
};

// fn_myInit.sqf

call STLA_fnc_TPWinit;
saveLoad = addMissionEventHandler ["Loaded",{call STLA_fnc_TPWinit}];

// fn_TPWinit.sqf

// etc...

This seems so much better.

Yours are the best kind of posts!

• Like 1

Hi tpw couple questions:

1. Is there anywhere were an injured unit temporarily turns into a Civ faction and then returns again to his own when he starts to get up (maybe Fall?) Reason i ask is that enemies wont fire on a unit temporrily turned Civ so it actually gives the advantage to that unit once he recovers

2. Is there a way to re-enable civilians and collisions with cars> Right now i see them phase out and in right before being hit and that upsets my daily need for carnage

Hey thank you for all these amazing scripts.
Just a quick question, is there a list of the sounds somewhere so I can use them in triggers? I'm setting up a market place and would like to ensure the right sounds play there

On 9/30/2017 at 1:49 AM, froggyluv said:

Hi tpw couple questions:

1. Is there anywhere were an injured unit temporarily turns into a Civ faction and then returns again to his own when he starts to get up (maybe Fall?) Reason i ask is that enemies wont fire on a unit temporrily turned Civ so it actually gives the advantage to that unit once he recovers

2. Is there a way to re-enable civilians and collisions with cars> Right now i see them phase out and in right before being hit and that upsets my daily need for carnage

1 - HIt units are setcaptive true until they get up again, which temporarily turns them into civs. This is my design decision, you'll need to disable it in TPW FALL and TPW BLEEDOUT script versions

2 - Not without changing the script version of TPW CARS and TPW SKIRMISH, both of which have a function that specifically prevents the carnage you crave (but which drives me up the #$%^ing wall).

On 9/30/2017 at 10:16 AM, JD Wang said:

Hey thank you for all these amazing scripts.
Just a quick question, is there a list of the sounds somewhere so I can use them in triggers? I'm setting up a market place and would like to ensure the right sounds play there

No, and I'm not going to make one because there are literally hundred of sounds :)

Please have a look at the  TPW SOAP script, which gives an idea of the paths and filenames. 

• Like 1

Sorry about my terse answers. I've returned to A3 coding only to find out that despite not having touched the code in a few months, TPW BLEEDOUT/FALL are again suffering from frozen unresponsive units. Methinks a retool of this is in order

Worse, I find that I can't even load the game if I enable maps requiring CUP Terrains.

On the positive side, I recently read a post from Evil Organ bemoaning the lack of AI response to nearby grenades and have written some code which implements just that. If I can sort out bleedout I'll hopefully release this stuff soon.

• Like 2

It's all good, as much as I enjoy this game more than any other it can also be downright frustrating and disheartening at times too.

• Like 2